• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Technology

Sith Droideka

I! AM NOT! A MORON!
Reaction score
Exactly how advanced is the industrialization and technology in the Pokemon world? We all know about Pokeballs and turning life forms into computer data, but where are the cars and power plants? We only know of two from the games, three if you count the Sunyshore solar platforms. And there is only one known factory, and it was shut down in the anime.

Finally, what exactly is the nature-loving Pokemon world doing mining coal?

Well, that factory was shut down because it caused severe polution. No doubt there are other unshown factories that do not pollute that much. There just have to be factories to produce all the technology, I mean remember that town in the Deoxys/Rayquaza movie?

About the coal thing, I think i remember some NPC in Platinum saying they reduced pollution of the Oreburgh mine to minimum. Now what do they use it for? Not power plants for sure, they have electric types. About the other usages of coal i looked od Wikipedia but it's all some complicated chemistry stuff I don't know heck about. But it's obvious they use it for something if they dig it?
Try to find a chemist around here, he'll have some ideas ^^

Maybe they use the coal to make special Fire-type Pokemon food. XD

Seeing as how Electric-types can apparently convert biological energy into electricity, I don't think the Pokemon world would have too much trouble getting power.

Maybe they use coal to power their vehicles? I know we haven't seen that many popular cars that regular people use, but we've seen all types of aircrafts and tanks, such as that woman J uses.

Well there is at least one truck in the Pokemon games...

Well there is at least one truck in the Pokemon games...

:XD2: True that...

Anyway, Yeah, I've noticed the lack of technology in Pokemon. Maybe there is technology, but the games/anime is not really focused on that? The world may never know...

LaRousse City is apparently powered by a large wind farm.

Coal can be used to make synthetic fuels so that can be used for vehicles or maybe bottled gas for cooking.

I imagine that fusion power plants are a common source of energy in the Pokémon universe.

Charcoal is used in BBQs, at least in Georgia. Coal would just produce too much smoke.

Maybe they use coal to power their vehicles? I know we haven't seen that many popular cars that regular people use, but we've seen all types of aircrafts and tanks, such as that woman J uses.

Well, I'm guessing cars have become mostly obselete (if they ever were in widespread use) due to pokémon. I mean, why bother drivng for minutes, hours or even days when you can have your pidgeot fly you basically wherever you want in a couple of seconds.

Maybe they use the coal to make special Fire-type Pokemon food. XD

Seeing as how Electric-types can apparently convert biological energy into electricity, I don't think the Pokemon world would have too much trouble getting power.

Well, that factory was shut down because it caused severe polution. No doubt there are other unshown factories that do not pollute that much. There just have to be factories to produce all the technology, I mean remember that town in the Deoxys/Rayquaza movie?

About the coal thing, I think i remember some NPC in Platinum saying they reduced pollution of the Oreburgh mine to minimum. Now what do they use it for? Not power plants for sure, they have electric types.

Large scale harvesting of electri poken (for obvious reasons) seems to be protrayed in a rather negative light in the games (for example, where the Electroe were strapped to that machine in Mahogany, HGSS) so I'm guessing its not a common practice and the peoples of the pokemon world actually just generate their own power (as is strongly implied).

About the other usages of coal i looked od Wikipedia but it's all some complicated chemistry stuff I don't know heck about. But it's obvious they use it for something if they dig it?
Try to find a chemist around here, he'll have some ideas ^^

You rang?

Accoding to the wikipedi article coal appears to be used for two things:

A) Power - in this case th coal can be straight off burnt in cars or in power stations for electricty (or used in the process of making other hydrocarbons for power)

B) Steel, which is iron with (about 4%, IIRC) carbon.

The second possible usage actually explains a lot more about sinnoh's infrastructure if you think about it: Iron & Carbon (in the form of coal) are mine from Iron Island & Oreburgh Mine respectively and are directed to Fuego Ironworks. There, Iron is either worked on its own into iron roducts or is then treated with Carbon to form Steel product. These are then shipping off throughout the country.

Power is most likely producdby the Valley windworks, but is supplemented or replaces entirely in some areas by alternative sources such as the solar panels of Sunyshore.

I'm also guessing that a small precentage still use firewood too.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom