• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Regardless vs. Irregardless

Regardless or Irregardless?

• Regardless

Votes: 14 87.5%
  • Irregardless

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Either is fine.

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters

Roulette

The People's Champion
Reaction score
I want to know which word you guys use. Personally I use Regardless, because, well Irregardless just doesn't make sense.

Which do you use?

Why?

If you disagree with Irregardless, why, and give some evidence that supports why you think this. I guess the same goes for Regardless. Vice-versa.

Here's mine actually.

Evidence 1: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irregardless
and
Evidence 2: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...s&sa=X&ei=80tmTImTFcGBlAf-49iHDA&ved=0CBUQkAE
and one more...
Evidence 3: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless

Irregardless is redundant and technically not a word (I think).

Technically it's a word, but not considered grammatically correct, thus not making it suitable to use, imo.

I say use both. Grammatically correct or not, if you manage to sneak irregardless in your writing, you've one synonym more. xP

Regardless of what anyone says, I have never read the word irregardless in anything. Ever. So, yeah. Pick which one I use.

"Irregardless" doesn't even make sense.

RegardLESS - it's already WITHOUT regard. Does irregardless mean not without regard? Regardful?

It would make sense to see it that way, but no. Irregardless is a colloquialism that came about quite recently, generally used in a humorous fashion to imitate informal speech. That's what I've been told by my English teacher, at least. *shrugs* The convention would be to use regardless, as irregardless is a double negative and isn't listed as correct in dictionaries.

On behalf of all your English teachers ever, THANK YOU ALL.

Although this rule can be subverted if you have a character that would say "irregardless" as part of the speech pattern.

Although this rule can be subverted if you have a character that would say "irregardless" as part of the speech pattern.

Ahh, yes. That does make for a good point. If a character does or would speak in a fashion that would include irregardless then it could be tolerable.

^lol agreed. Most of the places I checked (when trying to prove it to my friend) say that it is a word, but should only be used humorously, as it is, in fact, incorrect grammar.

^lol agreed. Most of the places I checked (when trying to prove it to my friend) say that it is a word, but should only be used humorously, as it is, in fact, incorrect grammar.
Ahhh the good, old fashioned ironic use of incorrect words. I do that, too.

But only in RL speech, never in a fic and never OTI.

People have heard it used ironically, and simply taken it literally.

"Irregardless" is a double-negative, grammatically incorrect and it bothers me immensely. I refuse to acknowledge it. The proper word is "regardless."

Regardless, I prefer to use correct grammar, myself.

Except that there's no real "correct" grammar other than currently defined standards. And those standards can change.

It's like somebody saying that the Common Noun method for capitalizing Pokemon names is the only proper grammar. (And there are people who say so.)

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom