• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

RMT/Help My Team Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Party

Ok, I'm pretty sure I need to fix my party a lot.
And where is a web page that says all the natures and their effects? Thanks!

Dragonite w/ Focus Sash
lv. 72
Ability: Inner Focus
230 HP / 227 Atk / 171 Def / 185 Sp Atk/ 164 Spd
Lax nature
-Earthquake
-Aqua Tail
-Draco Meteor
-Roost

I need the Focus Sash on Dragonite, it's saved me time after time (darn Ice Beam).

Gengar w/ Spell Tag
lv. 70
Ability: Levitate
190 HP/ 198 SpAtk/ 213 Spd
Jolly nature
-Shadow Ball
-Toxic
-Destiny Bond
-Protect

I want to keep only Shadow Ball and Destiny Bond. I don't know what to do with the other move slots.

Blissey w/ Leftovers
lv. 57
Ability: Natural Cure
380 HP/ 110 SpAtk/ 191 SpDef/ 96 Spd
Gentle Nature
-Focus Blast
-Ice Beam
-Softboiled
-Healing Wish

I don't think my Blissey can learn Seismic Toss.

Ninetales w/ ???
lv. 61
Ability: Flash Fire
176 HP/ 122 Atk/ 137 SpDef/ 165 Spd
Bashful Nature
-Overheat
-open!!
-Quick Attack
-Confuse Ray

I just deleted a move, so I have one open slot- I'd prefer a physical attack move. EV trained for speed. Don't care much for Confuse Ray. And I don't know what item to use, maybe a Focus Sash?

Weavile w/ Expert Belt
lv. 61
Ability: Pressure
185 HP/ 166 Atk/ 188 Spd
Gentle Nature
-Focus Punch
-Night Slash
-Shadow Claw
-Ice Shard

Need a better Fight move, I think.

Jolteon w/ Magnet
lv. 60
Ability: Volt Absorb
-Thunderbolt
-Thunder
-Thunder Wave
-Bite (want to remove)

I really need to get rid of Bite. Any ideas for a special attack that isn't electric for me to use? I'm thinking Shadow Ball.

Pokemon in the making:

I'm working on:

Kingdra w/ Scope Lens
Ability: Sniper
Quirky nature
-Draco Meteor
-Ice Beam
-Hydro Pump
-Agility

Maybe I'll EV train for speed.

OK thanks again!!!

The Following Rate is For User: xdisasterpiecex
Ok, I'm pretty sure I need to fix my party a lot.
And where is a web page that says all the natures and their effects? Thanks!

Nature Guide

Effort Values (EVs)

Individual Values (IVs)

Judging from your team, you posted their stats.
Dragonite w/ Focus Sash
lv. 72
Ability: Inner Focus
230 HP / 227 Atk / 171 Def / 185 Sp Atk/ 164 Spd
Lax nature
-Earthquake
-Aqua Tail
-Draco Meteor
-Roost

I need the Focus Sash on Dragonite, it's saved me time after time (darn Ice Beam).

Honestly, if you knew not to keep it in on Ice attacks, then you wouldn't need Focus Sash. Any Water Pokemon normally holds Icebeam or an ice attack of some sort. Ice type Pokemon do have these moves. So it's not that hard to know. Focus Sash on it is just plain terrible since it's only use is to make up for your mistakes.

Dragonite @Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
EVs: 54 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Spd
-Dragon Dance
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Fire Punch/Roost

This is preferably a lategame sweeper, where you have hopefully killed anyone who can revenge kill with Ice Shard, or switch in to counter (or weakened them enough).

Gengar w/ Spell Tag
lv. 70
Ability: Levitate
190 HP/ 198 SpAtk/ 213 Spd
Jolly nature
-Shadow Ball
-Toxic
-Destiny Bond
-Protect

I want to keep only Shadow Ball and Destiny Bond. I don't know what to do with the other move slots.

Now if you led with this guy, you can actually make use of Focus Sash.

Gengar @Focus Sash
Timid Nature
EVs: 252 SAtk/ 252 Spd/ 6 HP
-Destiny Bond
-Shadow Ball
-Hypnosis
-Counter

If you lead with this, you are able to take out physical sweepers such as Weavile with Counter, make another Pokemon fall asleep, then take another down with Destiny Bond. The first two don't actually have to be in that order, since if you know whether a Pokemon is physical or not, or if it will stay and attack (something that isn't threatened by you) then you may have to lead of with Hypnosis.

Counter from FRLG tutor.

Blissey w/ Leftovers
lv. 57
Ability: Natural Cure
380 HP/ 110 SpAtk/ 191 SpDef/ 96 Spd
Gentle Nature
-Focus Blast
-Ice Beam
-Softboiled
-Healing Wish

I don't think my Blissey can learn Seismic Toss.

Thorugh the magic of tutors it can, but in any case, it doesn't have Seismic Toss for the sake of having a fighting move. It has it because it does steady damage. Since you can't get acess than CM Bliss is your best option. Honestly though, Healing Wish is terrible.

Blissey @Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
Bold Nature
252 HP/ 252 Def/ 6 SDef
-Calm Mind
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Soft Boiled

This is your only option to actually wall, and threaten special sweepers.

Ninetales w/ ???
lv. 61
Ability: Flash Fire
176 HP/ 122 Atk/ 137 SpDef/ 165 Spd
Bashful Nature
-Overheat
-open!!
-Quick Attack
-Confuse Ray

I just deleted a move, so I have one open slot- I'd prefer a physical attack move. EV trained for speed. Don't care much for Confuse Ray. And I don't know what item to use, maybe a Focus Sash?

Ninetales @Life Orb
Timid Nature
EVs: 44 HP/ 252 SAtk /212 Spd
-Flamethrower
-Energy Ball
-Hypnosis
-Nasty Plot/Will-o-wisp

Honestly, if your looking for a mixed sweeping firedog, Houndeeom is better. Set someone to sleep with Hypnosis and Nastyplot as they switch out, or use Will-o-wisp to burn them. That's enough speed (assuming max IVs) to outspeed base 95 speed Pokemon. The only two with base 97 aren't very common so yeah.

Weavile w/ Expert Belt
lv. 61
Ability: Pressure
185 HP/ 166 Atk/ 188 Spd
Gentle Nature
-Focus Punch
-Night Slash
-Shadow Claw
-Ice Shard

Need a better Fight move, I think.

Not unless you know how to predict when they switch out, but I doubt it so use Brick Brea. Weaviel itself can actually go into a counter-shas strategy aswell, but let's not push it. It's not liek you have a weather inducer on your side.

Use a Jolly Nature, 20 HP/ 252 Atk/ 216 Spd. This speed stat allows you to outspeed anything base 120.

Remove Shadow Claw for Pursuit. Night Slash and Shadow Claw both have similar type coverage, except Night Slash gains the ability of STAB. Now you may be wondering, why pursuit? Weavile is primarily a revenge killer. Pursuit allows it to chase after opponents as they switch out and hit them with double the damage.

Jolteon w/ Magnet
lv. 60
Ability: Volt Absorb
-Thunderbolt
-Thunder
-Thunder Wave
-Bite (want to remove)

I really need to get rid of Bite. Any ideas for a special attack that isn't electric for me to use? I'm thinking Shadow Ball.

I wish people would atleast read previous rates so they don't make the same mistake. SInce we've made the lovely Gengar your lead, this can run something like Thunderwave/Thunderbolt/Baton Pass/ Substitute, but it's really not that good without HP [ice], not to mention the large number of conflicting status you will have. I would just switch Jolteon out of your roster.

Pokemon in the making:

I'm working on:

Kingdra w/ Scope Lens
Ability: Sniper
Quirky nature
-Draco Meteor
-Ice Beam
-Hydro Pump
-Agility

Maybe I'll EV train for speed.

OK thanks again!!!

Swift Swim is by far a superior trait. You are trying to go for Agility, but using Rain Dance coupled with Swift Swim gives you the same result, and also icnreases your water type's power. Hey, if you do this, you could even try Focus Sash on Weavile with Swords Dance > Shadow Claw to change the weather once your opponent's Tyranitar/Abomasnow/Hippowdon are disposed of.

Use Life orb or Leftovers.

Final Lessons

Redundancy

To be redundant is to be using a move which really doesn't help your moveset overall. Whether it si your Jolteon using three electrick moves, each weaker than the last, and also having it walled by ground types, or using Shadow Claw on a physical Dark type Weavile, who gets a better move in Night Slash.

This also applies to things with super effective hits. Just because something is SE, does not mean it is actually stronger.

Luck Based Items

Such things as Scope lens. When they work 10% of the time, they fail 90% of the rest of the time. Better to just use soemthing reliable.

Posting relevant information

EVs, not their actual stat. I'm not going in depth ont his since I mentioned it in a previous post and it is now on the front page.

Learning to switch

Honestly, why would you keep Dragonite in on soemthing that can kill it? This applies to all Pokemon

Focus Sash

You seem to love this item, however there are very few instances in which it will work. In most cases, Focus Sash will be destroyed by the likes of spikes/stealth rock, or a weather condition.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've got a few things I'd like to bring up about my team rating.

L said:
I still think Swellow's a poor man's Staraptor, but I also still think that Swellow is awsome. Normally I would only run enough speed to outspeed the next fastest Pokemon, but it's not as if extra HP is going to help.

As for its item, Toxic Orb will actually do less damage over a two turn span than Flame orb will.

In each turn, Flame orb will take away 1/8 of your HP, Which will total in a loss of 25% HP in two turns.

Toxic will take out 1/16, than 1/8. THat is roughly around 18% of your HP lost. Since this is your leading Pokemon, the likelyhood of this being able to stay in, or your oppopnent not having something to counter it over two turns is very low.

Normally I wouldn't go for Protect on this guy, but since it is a lead Pokemon, being able to scout out your opponent's lead's moveset is good.

While their movesets are quite similar, you can say that about several other Normal/Flying types as well. From my experiences, they play about as differently as possible while still having the same general principle (strike fast, strike hard).

You also make it sound like there's no way Swellow lasts more than 2 turns. In my experiences, it can usually last longer than that if you're careful, especially if your opponent winds up underestimating Swellow. Not to mention the extra Toxic level of poison is maintained if you switch out, so it'll add up.

And actually, Protect is there simply to ensure that Flame Orb kicks in with Swellow otherwise unscathed. Seeing what your opponent does during that is gravy. Warm, delicious gravy. ...I probably shouldn't be saying that when I'm talking about a bird Pokemon...

L said:
Armaldo@ Leftovers
Impish Nature
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 6 Atk
-Rapid Spin
-Knock Off/Stealth Rock
-Rock Blast
-Stealth Rock/Toxic

Maybe it's just me, but one Pokemon really, REALLY should not be packing all of those. I've never been a particularly big fan of Rapid Spin, Knock Off, or multi-hit moves, and if I really wanted all of them on a team, I'd probably spread it out among my team, so if one Pokemon faints, I don't lose all three options. Plus, it leaves it pretty lacking offensively, especially if you're unlucky with Rock Blast (I know I am).

L said:
Honestly, I would use a fighting move like Brick Break over Payback in order to stop yourself from being walled by UU steel walls like Agron, Probopass, and to a lesser extent, Bastiodon.

Honestly, I haven't had to bring Muk out enough to get a good feel for Payback yet. Brick Break would definitely be near/at the top of the list of replacements if it doesn't pan out.

L said:
Well, if you devide to only play this team in the UU environment, you are saved by the fact that thre is no Tyranitar, Hippowdon, or Abomasnow, and now that you have spin support, you will be able to pull this off quite well. The set is fine, but I also like Counter in order to kill the poor sucker who tries to kill you.

After doing the math, I would like to note that Hitmonlee OHKOs Tyranitar with Close Combat, and unless things are absolutely perfect for it (252 HP EVs, 252 DEF EVs, and a +DEF nature, which I kinda doubt is a particularly common distribution for it), the same holds true for Abomasnow. However, I didn't really think about putting in Counter somewhere. I might give that a try. And yes, I do get the common theme of those Pokemon (Sand Stream/Snow Warning), which messes up Focus Sash.

L said:
Despite what people often say about not using it because it is frowned upon, there is infact a better reason not to use it. When it works 10% of the time, it fail 90% the rest of the time. It is better to use a more reliable item

Do I overuse Scope Lens? Possibly. Has it not kicked in for me in critical times? Yup. Has it kicked in for me in critical times, resulting in varying degrees of angry remarks from my opponents? Yup. The law of averages says that if a Pokemon with Scope Lens is out for 10 turns, it'll get a CH at some point. On average, I'd say I have something with Scope Lens out for 10 turns. Which means on average, I wind up getting a potential match-breaking critical hit. A little riskier than Leftovers, sure, but the results can be arguably far greater.

L said:
Honestly, that 10% boost isn't going to help you much, especially when your offensive stat isn't that powerful to begin with.

I'm aware of this. In retrospect, Choice Specs would've been better for the kind of Froslass I was trying to make. But oh well, too late to change it for battles I've already had.

L said:
As for your frosslass, it is most likely not working do to you not skilled enough, but then that's why you try and try again.

...Now that's just insulting. Though I do find it amusing that you misspelled Froslass's name in that sentence.

And that's all I have to say about that. And from this point on, I'll try to make some suggestions of my own for these other teams. Because doing it even for the ones that were only after mine would take forever.

@ RandomMan15
...Now that's just insulting. Though I do find it amusing that you misspelled Froslass's name in that sentence.

And that's all I have to say about that. And from this point on, I'll try to make some suggestions of my own for these other teams. Because doing it even for the ones that were only after mine would take forever.

Sorry for the last statement, I meant to say "not used to it enough."

After doing the math, I would like to note that Hitmonlee OHKOs Tyranitar with Close Combat, and unless things are absolutely perfect for it (252 HP EVs, 252 DEF EVs, and a +DEF nature, which I kinda doubt is a particularly common distribution for it), the same holds true for Abomasnow. However, I didn't really think about putting in Counter somewhere. I might give that a try. And yes, I do get the common theme of those Pokemon (Sand Stream/Snow Warning), which messes up Focus Sash.

Honestly, I didn't say that playing it in UU meant that it saved Hitmonlee itself from being murdered by Tyranitar. I'm well aware of it's capabilities of killing those two. My statement was referring to the fact that their abilities almost make your set useless, and all they have to do is merely show up after you killing something, and switch out to a wall.

Maybe it's just me, but one Pokemon really, REALLY should not be packing all of those. I've never been a particularly big fan of Rapid Spin, Knock Off, or multi-hit moves, and if I really wanted all of them on a team, I'd probably spread it out among my team, so if one Pokemon faints, I don't lose all three options. Plus, it leaves it pretty lacking offensively, especially if you're unlucky with Rock Blast (I know I am).

Differing opinions obviously, but I hope you will take into consideration the fact that you do need a rapid spinner (due to reasons I have mentioned already)and will atleast keep that on him. If you are playing this in UU only, then the only real thing that will get in your way is Steath Rock, which does cause a lot of problems for your teams. Apparantly you do use this in OU aswell, where there are a much larger amount of spikers, but really, th eonly reason why I bothered suggesting the "utility" Armaldo is because of your glaring Stealth Rock weak.

I also find it ironic that you would chance Scope Lens but not Rock Blast.

You also make it sound like there's no way Swellow lasts more than 2 turns. In my experiences, it can usually last longer than that if you're careful, especially if your opponent winds up underestimating Swellow. Not to mention the extra Toxic level of poison is maintained if you switch out, so it'll add up.

I'm not saying that it won't survive for more than two turns, I'm saying that unless your fighting someone with absolutely no steel types or any other Normal resist (in which case you'd probably be fighting someone who isn't really that good), you will come in against a wall some time between those two turns.

And does it really maintain itself? I was sure that like everything else, it reset. If that is the case then Flame orb will most certainly be better. (I need to pay more attention to my Shoddy battles)

*off to test this in Pearl

EDIT: Upon testing with my Kyogre in my Pearl version, I can conclude that:

Yes I was right, the level of toxicity does reset upon switching out, meaning that Toxic Orb is actually the better investment.

My Kyogre lost 22 HP, then 44 HP due to toxic poison. I had switched out, and switched back in, and my Kyogre only recieved a 22 HP loss. I don't know where you got your data from though.

While their movesets are quite similar, you can say that about several other Normal/Flying types as well. From my experiences, they play about as differently as possible while still having the same general principle (strike fast, strike hard).

Except other Normal/Flying types pale in comparison to both Swellow and Staraptor.

(lol at me for responding in reverse order)

With that said, thank god that there are more people planning on RMTing, and would it kill anyone else to try and question my rates sometime? If you have a legitamate arguement against it than fine.

I think I should do these rates on a word document with all my spelling mistakes.

Last edited:
Well, here's a team that needs rating/suggestions. It's been doing decently on WiFi so far.

dpmfa461.png

Weavile@Choice Band
Jolly nature
40 HP, 252 attack, 218 speed
-Pursuit
-Night Slash
-Ice Punch
-Brick Break

Standard Choice Band Weavile. Pursuit catches Gengars and Alakazams that think they can switch out. Makes a decent physical lead.

dpmfa485.png

Heatran@Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
20 HP, 252 special attack, 238 speed
-Fire Blast
-Earth Power
-Hidden Power Ice
-Explosion

ScarfTran outspeeds quite a lot. Hidden Power Ice because I can't OHKO Dragons with Dragon Pulse. Explosion takes care of a weakened Blissey.

dpmfa482.png

Azelf@Life Orb
Timid Nature
38 HP, 252 special attack, 220 speed
-Nasty Plot
-Psychic
-Energy Ball
-Flamethrower

Nasty Plot when I predict the opponent to switch. After a Plot, this thing is hard to stop.

dpmfa227.png

Skarmory@Shed Shell
Impish nature
252 HP, 96 attack, 156 defense, 6 speed
-Spikes
-Whirlwind
-Drill Peck
-Roost

Takes physical hits, sets up Spikes, gets rid of opponents with Whirlwind. Roost for recovery, and Shed Shell to avoid being trapped and killed by Magnezone.

dpmfa110.png

Weezing@Black Sludge
Bold nature
252 HP, 252 defense, 6 special attack
-Thunderbolt
-Flamethrower
-Will-o-wisp
-Pain Split

Also takes physical hits in this overly physical metagame. Will-o-wisp destroys physical sweepers. Thunderbolt handles Gyarados and Flamethrower hits Weavile and Heracross. Pain Split for recovery.

dpffa242.png

Blissey@Leftovers
Bold nature
-Softboiled
-Seismic Toss
-Ice Beam
-Thunder Wave

With those EVs, it reaches 714 HP, 130 defense, and 306 special defense. This is good enough to take a ton of special hits and even a physical hit or two. Seismic Toss always does 100 damage despite Blissey's god-awful attack. Basically the old standard.

If you hate legends, that's not my problem. Heatran and Azelf are OU, not Uber, and are thus allowed in standard play.

Well, here's a team that needs rating/suggestions. It's been doing decently on WiFi so far.

dpmfa461.png

Weavile@Choice Band
Jolly nature
40 HP, 252 attack, 218 speed
-Pursuit
-Night Slash
-Ice Punch
-Brick Break

Standard Choice Band Weavile. Pursuit catches Gengars and Alakazams that think they can switch out. Makes a decent physical lead.

Lol at the fact that people even lead with them with this guy around. I'm wondering if Beat Up has any applications in killing Wobbuffet leads (lol at people leading with them when Tauntdos is the number 1 most used lead out there). You know, incase your fighting one of those people who would use it in OU just because the all might Colin decided to make it legal on the ladder, without proper reasoning as to why. No explanation, no tournament, no discussion. I'm willing to accept it's not uber if he can explain how it is counterable in the traditional sense, or, if he's like one of those people who says "just have either taunt/batonpass/u-turn/shedshell on all your Pokemon to counter it" how that is not considered overcentralisation.

dpmfa485.png

Heatran@Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
20 HP, 252 special attack, 238 speed
-Fire Blast
-Earth Power
-Hidden Power Ice
-Explosion

ScarfTran outspeeds quite a lot. Hidden Power Ice because I can't OHKO Dragons with Dragon Pulse. Explosion takes care of a weakened Blissey.

Is fine. I would go with Over Heat > Fireblast on the Scarf set for more power and accuracy. In the Specs set, Fireblast would be the ideal options ince it has the capability of 2HKO on Blissey, but this is not the case.
dpmfa482.png

Azelf@Life Orb
Timid Nature
38 HP, 252 special attack, 220 speed
-Nasty Plot
-Psychic
-Energy Ball
-Flamethrower

Nasty Plot when I predict the opponent to switch. After a Plot, this thing is hard to stop.

I concur.
dpmfa227.png

Skarmory@Shed Shell
Impish nature
252 HP, 96 attack, 156 defense, 6 speed
-Spikes
-Whirlwind
-Drill Peck
-Roost

Takes physical hits, sets up Spikes, gets rid of opponents with Whirlwind. Roost for recovery, and Shed Shell to avoid being trapped and killed by Magnezone.

I don't think Shed Shell is that necissary on Skarmory when you have Whirl Wind. Just WW on your first shot to catch the happy-go-lucky Magnezones switching in, but if you feel you truely need it then fine.

If you do go with Leftovers, then consider Brave Bird aswell to hit taunters liek Gyarados harder.
dpmfa110.png

Weezing@Black Sludge
Bold nature
-Thunderbolt
-Flamethrower
-Will-o-wisp
-Pain Split

Also takes physical hits in this overly physical metagame. Will-o-wisp destroys physical sweepers. Thunderbolt handles Gyarados and Flamethrower hits Weavile and Heracross. Pain Split for recovery.

Fireblast 2HKO's 0 HP Heracross, Flamethrower does not.
dpffa242.png

Blissey@Leftovers
Bold nature
-Softboiled
-Seismic Toss
-Ice Beam
-Thunder Wave

With those EVs, it reaches 714 HP, 130 defense, and 306 special defense. This is good enough to take a ton of special hits and even a physical hit or two. Seismic Toss always does 100 damage despite Blissey's god-awful attack. Basically the old standard.

If you hate legends, that's not my problem. Heatran and Azelf are OU, not Uber, and are thus allowed in standard play.

We all know what it does.

Seriosuly what happened to "other people will rate"

It's been a heck of a week for me, that's why I haven't said anything. But since the storm of reality's over, let's get some rating action going on. So yeah, the first team I get to critique, too. Now, I despise using legendaries in PvP, so I won't be rating Heatran and Azelf (or, if you want a more technical reason, I have virtually no experience with legendaries outside of capturing them, so anything I say about them could and probably would be wrong). The other four are fair game, though.

Weavile
-------------
The problem with Pursuit is that if they don't switch, Weavile may very well eat Focus Blast. This is more true with Gengar than Alakazam, but both are capable of withstanding it (on average Alakazam falls to it thanks to Choice Band, but without something like a critical hit, Gengar can definitely take it). Personally, I'd say Aerial Ace over Pursuit, to give bug, and especially fighting, types a rude awakening. Or bug AND fighting. Bet Heracross users wouldn't see that coming.

Heatran
-------------
Man...in terms of number of new Pokemon, fire's really gotten the shaft the past couple of generations. Aside from that realization, you've got nothing from me on Heatran.

Azelf
-------------
Uh...I find the other two members of the trio ugly, but find Azelf cute? Grasping at straws here...yeah. And I stand by my remark about Azelf being cute. Because it's TRUE.

Skarmory
-------------
As a person that has never been a huge fan of Spikes (though I do like Stealth Rock), I will now make a suggestion that will leave some people shocked...SHOCKED. Drop Spikes for Steel Wing. With that moveset, anything resistant to flying could 'outwall the wall', so to speak. Steel Wing helps with one of those, rock. It'd certainly catch something like Tyranitar off guard. And while the extra effect shouldn't be relied on, it can also boost that already awesome defense stat. Which definitely helps if your foe's lacking in special attacks.

Weezing
-------------
I'm sure Pokemon with Guts would disagree with that second statement, but that's not the point. Flamethrower for Weavile and Heracross? Half your team can already hit them with super-effective damage, and all can hit them harder than Weezing. Ditch it for Sludge Bomb; Weezing could use a little extra offense, it's the strongest reliable special move it's got, and Thunderbolt can handle most steel types well enough anyway. (aside from Steelix and Magnezone, but again, you've got better options for those...also Dialga, but since I said no actual legendary talk by me, meh to it).

Blissey
-------------
It's about time I saw something with Thunder Wave. I was getting worried. And what's this? Ice Beam? Can't complain, since any Blissey with Seismic Toss for their sole offensive option is just asking for it (not to mention rather stupid). While I can't claim to be an expert on Blissey (in fact, I don't think I've ever used it on a serious team), it looks okay to me.

My main problem with this team is that it's definitely on the predictable side. Nothing wrong with some predictability, but when the whole team isn't pushing any envelopes, you're leaving yourself wide open...without really doing so. If that makes any sense.

The thing with Pursuit is, you don't use it until you know that it will kill them. It's more of a "revenge kill" tactic than a "ha ha your stupid for leading with Gengar" which leads to "oh no! you didn't switch"

Many people have used Aerial Ace in the early days, but I'm not sure of it's status now, but using a bug move liek X-Scissor is just redundant on it. It really doesn't cover anything new.
--------
As for Skarmory, if you want Steel Wing, then use it over Drill Peck. Honestly, if you can't outwall the Pokemon, you have the option of phazing them, in which case, they lose any of their stat ups, and have to contend with spikes on the switch in. This rate makes me think that it was based on the biased opinion of not liking spikes.

Really, if your not going to use Spikes on Skarmory, there are plenty of other usable walls out there (and your already using one of them).
------------

Slowbro
Trait: Oblivious
Surf
Ice Beam
Slack Off (currently Zen Headbutt)
Thunder Wave (breed a Mareep line with thunder wave, no wasting TM!)
EVs: 252 D/212 HP/44 SA (or roughly around that)
Nature: Bold (D+ A-)
Item: Leftovers

Now, here are the pokemon that I've already decided that they should be on my team, but need help with movesets, items, natures, etc.

Porygon Z
Trait: Adaptability
Nasty Plot
Thunder Bolt
Psychic
Hyper Beam
EVs 252 SA/252 Sp/4 HP (could change)
Nature: Modest (SA+ A-) (though I didn't think this through, got a SD+ D- trait)
Item: Choice Specs (what else would be good?)

Garchomp
Trait: Sand Veil
Dragon Claw
Stone Edge
Crunch
Earthquake
EVs 252 A/252 Sp/ 4 HP
Nature: Adamant (A+ SA-)
Item: Choice Scarf

Dusknoir
Trait: Pressure
Shadow Punch
Fire Punch
Will-o-Wisp
Pain Split
EVs: 252 HP/52 D/204 Sdef
Nature: Impish (D+ SA-)

Alright, I have 4 great pokemon that I already have trained and ready. Now, I need help choosing 2 more pokes for my team. I think dark would be a good idea, as to defeat ghosts and psychics. However, anything that seems good will work (go Gallade!).

Anyway, what do you think my two new pokes should be?

To Umby:

For your Porygon-Z, I'd recommend a Life Orb or Focus Sash. Porygon-Z isn't the most fragile Pokemon, but it can be hard-pressed to last more than a few turns. Focus Sash can help it survive a suped-up Garchomp's Earthquake, a Gyarados Aqua Tail or Alakazam Focus Blast, whereas Life Orb simply boosts the base power of Porygon-Z's attacks. If you're intent on keeping Nasty Plot, I'd recommend Focus Sash to help ensure you survive an attempted Nasty Plot. If you're feeling really risky, you could try a Salac Berry, too. Furthermore, I'd advise dropping Hyper Beam for Tri Attack; the recharge time could easily cost Porygon-Z.

As for two other teammates, there are a few options. Your team has some Pokemon with impressive capabilities in Slowbro and Dusknoir, so I wouldn't worry about adding another perdurable Pokemon. Perhaps Medicham would be a good addition.

Medicham @ Muscle Band (Could be Life Orb if you're not already using it)
Jolly Nature
EVs: 252 ATK, 252 SPD, 6 HP
- Hi Jump Kick
- Ice Punch
- Rock Slide
- Psycho Cut

Medicham's a splendid offensive specialist and provides a formidable contingency should Garchomp eat a KO.

As for a sixth Pokemon...if you're worried about Ghost- and Psychic-type Pokemon, you could try Bronzong. I don't really think it'd be the wisest move to add a third defensive Pokemon, but Bronzong is always a force with which one should be reckoned.

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
EVs: 252 HP, 128 SA, 128 SD, 2 wherever
- Hypnosis
- Calm Mind
- Flash Cannon/Shadow Ball
- Psychic

These changes should help your team overall, and I'm of the opinion that Medicham and Bronzong would be exceptional additions to any team.

RMT - And please suggest Items.

Snix - Lucario
Nature - Lonely
Item - Ghost Plate
EV spread - ATK 252 - SPD 252 - 4 SPDEF

Swords Dance
Extreme speed
Close Combat
Shadow Claw

Strategy: Close Combat is my main killer, Extreme speed alakazams and other weak but fast things into oblivion. Usually I swords dance in front of some one I think will have to switch or something I know can't OHKO my typing then it's extreme speed all the way. Shadow claw comes in handy on physic types once in a while and it allows me to hit ghosts, which I usually swords dance once in front of to receive the O_O what the heck expression.

Tyrannitar
Nature - Uknown(still being bred for me)
EV spread - 252 ATK - 128 DEF - 124 SPDEF - 4 SPD
Item - none currently

Dragon Dance
Earthquake
Stone edge
Crunch

Strategy: Tyrannitar is always going to get hit first no matter what so If I'm not going to switch I'll just dragon dance, because I know that three stages (raising something sharply will pretty much make me faster than anything the opponent has from my experience with rock polish) so one or two of those will put me in a good position to make a clean sweep with any of my other moves either through typing or raw power.

Infernape
Nature - Modest
Item - none currently
EV spread - 252 SPATK - 4 SPDEF - 252 SPD

Focus Blast
Flame Thrower
Clam Mind (What would I need to breed with to get nasty plot?)
Grass Knot (Suggestions?)

Strategy: Hit Hard and fast, if an Alakazam or Gyrados shows up I'm pretty much screwed, Clam mind or prefferably nasty plot when I predict the switch and hope I can super power myself enough to godstomp or clean up a team.

Electivire
Nature: Adamant
EV Spread - 128 ATK - 252 DEF - 128 SPDEF
Item - none

Earthquake
Thunder Punch
Brick Break
Iron Tail

Strategy: Basically a power house that can take alot of damage before being put down, I might use him to switch in on things to save one of my sweepers from being OHKO'ed. He's got a decent amount of coverage, a STAB thunder punch for flying and water, Earthquake for raw power in taking out Tyranitar and steel types except for bronzong, Brick Break for barriers and mostly the same thing as earthquake hm.... any suggestions there? Iron tail is there to surprise the random physic type that thinks he should have killed me in one hit or just to register a powerful 100 steel on anything I'm not covering.

Breloom
Nature: Adamant
Ability - posion heal
Item - Toxic Orb
EV spread - 252 ATK - 252 SPDEF - 4 hp

Spore
Substitute
Focus Punch
None (I'm thinking of levitating stones or spikes)

Strategy: Survive one turn and make myself a nuisance, Spore, Substitute, FALCON PAWNCH!!! Or the idea of spikes when I know they are going to switch or I'm going to die in the next turn. Maybe a possible switch in to take a surf.

And I'm looking for something else to bring my team together I'm thinking of Skaromy or Machamp (I'm big on fighting types), or I'm open to the option of gengar or Alakazam. Any Ideas?

Last edited:
All righty, here goes...

Lucario - Definitely drop the Plate. I recommend a Salac berry, since surviving a hit and successfully boosting Attack with Swords Dance is an incredible thing to behold. If you've already got Lucario trained, then Lonely is an acceptable Nature. Beware, however, that the Nature does harm Lucario's already flimsy ability to withstand heavy physical attacks like Earthquake, Cross Chop and Flare Blitz. If you can breed it again, try for Crunch and a Jolly/Adamant Nature (preferably Jolly).

Tyranitar - I have to admit that I'm disliking this EV spread. Tyranitar really needs to have a 330 or better Speed score (if playing on Shoddy or what have you) after a Dragon Dance, otherwise it risks being KOed before even a single attack is laid onto the foe. 252 ATK/252 SPD/4 HP is solid, though you could be offbeat and go with 88 HP/252 ATK/168 SPD to get a nice, even 300 SPD after a single Dragon Dance (or 180 in SPD if you're worried about outspeeding Adamant Garchomp or some such). I'd recommend a Lum Berry as the item, so that Thunder Wave and Will-O-Wisp don't ruin your day.

Infernape - Chimchar learns Nasty Plot at lv.23. Just hold it back until that level and you'll be fine. The moveset seems standard for a Special offensive specialist Infernape, and should fare well enough. Item considerations would be Focus Sash, Life Orb or Leftovers here, with my preference being Leftovers. You could also consider a Wise Glasses.

Electivire - I'm not liking the EV distribution. Electivire's another Pokemon that doesn't especially want EVs in its defenses. Unless you want to count on Motor Drive taking effect, which doesn't seem overly wise, it's another 252/252/6 suggestion from me for ATK, SPD and HP, respectively. I suggest Fire Punch, Ice Punch or Rock Slide in lieu of Iron Tail; Iron Tail adds no coverage to Electivire's moveset, and Electivire's abundance of solid physical moves means Iron Tail isn't justified appearing on its moveset.

Breloom - I don't recall the most common Breloom spread, but I can't advocate EVs in Special Defense on Breloom; it has a mediocre SD and its naturally low HP will limit its capability to absorb Special Attacks. Yep, I'm going to recommend 252/252/6. So predictable, aren't I? If you really want to delineate from that spread, you could try 12 HP/252 ATK/246 SPD, which outspeeds base 80 Pokemon with maxed EVs without a Speed-boosting Nature and gives you 33 HP of recovery a turn with the Toxic Orb and Poison Heal. As for your fourth move, I'm inclined to recommend Seed Bomb. No one hates a STAB-powered base 80 move come from a Pokemon with a 130 base Attack Pokemon, right?

As for your final teammate, if you were to add Skarmory, you'd have half a team weak to Fire-types. Gengar and Machamp leave half your team weak to Psychic. Alakazam doesn't push your team into a large weakness, so I recommend choosing Alakazam. As is, two-thirds of your team have a weakness to Earthquake and, more broadly, Ground-type moves. Counting on Breloom alone to handle that would likely prove unwise, and as such I recommend a Pokemon capable of withstanding Earthquake and the high-ATK Pokemon that pack it. Just a thought.

Alakazam @ Life Orb/Focus Sash/Petaya Berry
252 SA/252 SPD/6 HP
Jolly Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Energy Ball or Grass Rope (for Life Orb)/Calm Mind (for Petaya or Focus Sash)

One more question, What if I threw in my Ferlagatr?

Nature: Brave
Item - zip
Ev spread - 252 ATK - 252 SPD - 6 hp

Dragon Dance
Ice Punch
Water Fall
Crunch currently( I don't know if it can learn rock slide or anything of that nature)

The Brave Nature does hurt Feraligatr, as you wouldn't want to sacrifice Attack nor Speed for such a moveset, but otherwise the moveset looks fine. Instead of Crunch, I'd recommend Earthquake. If you haven't got access to it, Rock Slide, Brick Break or Crunch would suffice. As with Tyranitar, something like a Lum Berry would be perfect for the moveset.

@Marine Eventhough I'm quoting Shadywolf, this is a follow up to your rate. I didn't see the point in re-rating what I already find okay in Shady's response. I just worked to narrow it down.
All righty, here goes...

Lucario - Definitely drop the Plate. I recommend a Salac berry, since surviving a hit and successfully boosting Attack with Swords Dance is an incredible thing to behold. If you've already got Lucario trained, then Lonely is an acceptable Nature. Beware, however, that the Nature does harm Lucario's already flimsy ability to withstand heavy physical attacks like Earthquake, Cross Chop and Flare Blitz. If you can breed it again, try for Crunch and a Jolly/Adamant Nature (preferably Jolly).
Not to mention that his typing also allows him to switch into some Physical moves such as Rock and Dark types with relative ease. I would definately rebreed.

Infernape - Chimchar learns Nasty Plot at lv.23. Just hold it back until that level and you'll be fine. The moveset seems standard for a Special offensive specialist Infernape, and should fare well enough. Item considerations would be Focus Sash, Life Orb or Leftovers here, with my preference being Leftovers. You could also consider a Wise Glasses.

I'm going to have to side with Leftovers on this one. Focus Blast itself kills Blissey after Nasty plot, so there's no need to worry.

Electivire - I'm not liking the EV distribution. Electivire's another Pokemon that doesn't especially want EVs in its defenses. Unless you want to count on Motor Drive taking effect, which doesn't seem overly wise, it's another 252/252/6 suggestion from me for ATK, SPD and HP, respectively. I suggest Fire Punch, Ice Punch or Rock Slide in lieu of Iron Tail; Iron Tail adds no coverage to Electivire's moveset, and Electivire's abundance of solid physical moves means Iron Tail isn't justified appearing on its moveset.

Ice punch would be the better choice here. The combination of both Fighting and ground make up for what rock and fire would normally hit, and Ice will take on those grass types, and mroe importantly, Garchomp.

Breloom - I don't recall the most common Breloom spread, but I can't advocate EVs in Special Defense on Breloom; it has a mediocre SD and its naturally low HP will limit its capability to absorb Special Attacks. Yep, I'm going to recommend 252/252/6. So predictable, aren't I? If you really want to delineate from that spread, you could try 12 HP/252 ATK/246 SPD, which outspeeds base 80 Pokemon with maxed EVs without a Speed-boosting Nature and gives you 33 HP of recovery a turn with the Toxic Orb and Poison Heal. As for your fourth move, I'm inclined to recommend Seed Bomb. No one hates a STAB-powered base 80 move come from a Pokemon with a 130 base Attack Pokemon, right?

I say screw the most common Breloom spread. I go with a more defensive spread on it's side. It has a favorable physical typing/

Spore/Protect/Seed Bomb/Mach Punch with 236 HP/ 90 Def/ 184 Spd and an impish nature tends to work out fine for my Breloom. It gains maximum recovery from Poison heal, and is defensive enough to survive physical Tyranitars, yet is strong enough to 2HKO it. I'm actually thinking of lowering it's speed stat a bit (actually a lot), since the 184 speed EVs allow you to outspeed Adamant Tyranitar, which I find pointless when the only thing you use against it is Mach punch, which in itself already has a speed prioritiser. Shifting to offense wouldn't get me a guaranteed kill on Tyranitar, but would help against other random people I like to hit with Mach Punch

That Breloom is basically a lead Breloom anyway. And really, I would lead with this over the Salac Berry Lucario. Salac Berry Lucario should reserve itself for lategame, when most of it's counters, and generally anything that can revenge kill has already been dealt with, or weakened to the point that Lucario can kill them on it's own.

Last edited:
I say screw the most common Breloom spread. I go with a more defensive spread on it's side. It has a favorable physical typing/

Spore/Protect/Seed Bomb/Mach Punch with 236 HP/ 90 Def/ 184 Spd and an impish nature tends to work out fine for my Breloom. It gains maximum recovery from Poison heal, and is defensive enough to survive physical Tyranitars, yet is strong enough to 2HKO it. I'm actually thinking of lowering it's speed stat a bit (actually a lot), since the 184 speed EVs allow you to outspeed Adamant Tyranitar, which I find pointless when the only thing you use against it is Mach punch, which in itself already has a speed prioritiser. Shifting to offense wouldn't get me a guaranteed kill on Tyranitar, but would help against other random people I like to hit with Mach Punch

That Breloom is basically a lead Breloom anyway. And really, I would lead with this over the Salac Berry Lucario. Salac Berry Lucario should reserve itself for lategame, when most of it's counters, and generally anything that can revenge kill has already been dealt with, or weakened to the point that Lucario can kill them on it's own.

Well I'm going to retaliate, since you are always wanting some one to legitamately argue with your rates.

Not sure I agree with this a whole lot, it doesn't seem to make much sense putting protect in, all it really does it block two turn moves or give you a little more time to heal. Personally I think substitute is better (especially with poison heal and the HP EVs) and if the EVs were re-routed into ATK you could KO Tyranitar with seed bomb, I do like the speed and health EVs but why do you suggest a nature that lowers the best thing it has going for it.

What about this strategy instead?

Jolly/Adamant
252 HP/ 252 Spd/ 4 ATK

With my original moveset, adding seed bomb.

Substitute
Focus Punch
Seed bomb
Spore

I'll live or outspeed for a spore, let my toxic orb kick in, throw up a substitute so I'm safe if my buddy wakes up early or switches in on me. Then I Focus Punch or seed bomb depending on what it is. Even with a type dis-advantage a STAB Focus Punch HURTS! I'll be healing myself all the time and I can keep putting up substitute or using spore depending on if I kill the thing I originally put to sleep. This strategy could possibly let me switch in on stuff like tyranitar and Garchomp.

Well I'm going to retaliate, since you are always wanting some one to legitamately argue with your rates.

Well I'm sorry for wanting someone to actually think about what I say rather than absorb it like a sponge and not go against it. I mean there are so many people I could have puposely steered the wrong way since they never question (although I don't do that. The worst I do is a half assed rate). Not only that, but I'm sure I've made a couple of mistakes, and you know, if they questioned it, then it would have been fixed.

If they have a valid arguement then I'll listen.

Not sure I agree with this a whole lot, it doesn't seem to make much sense putting protect in, all it really does it block two turn moves or give you a little more time to heal. Personally I think substitute is better (especially with poison heal and the HP EVs) and if the EVs were re-routed into ATK you could KO Tyranitar with seed bomb, I do like the speed and health EVs but why do you suggest a nature that lowers the best thing it has going for it.

Protect makes perfect sense if you lead with it.

1. Since most people lack the creative mind, it allows you to scout out their moveset

2. It allows you to activate Toxic Orb without prior damage

3. It allows you to stall-heal. Assuming there is no hazardous weather conditions in play, you would essentially heal 1/4 of your HP without being damaged at all. Now if you combined that with the ever popular Leech Seed, this thing becomes nearly impossible to kill against those who don't hold super effective hits on you.

No diverting it to attack will not guarantee a kill on Tyranitar. It is x4 weak to fighting. Mach punch will run off of 60 base power after stab, multiply that by 4 and you get 240. I believe Seed Bomb comes out to the same thing, but with the lack of a speed prioritiser.

Adamant Max attack Breloom Mach Punch on Tyranitar does 80.35% - 94.43% while Seed Bomb does 78.89% - 92.67%. Neither of them is a guaranteed kill, and what's worse is that if you chose to use offensive EVs over defensive, you have lost some of your Pokemon's best assets. Sure it can kill now, but it can't really take a hit.

What about this strategy instead?

Jolly/Adamant
252 HP/ 252 Spd/ 4 ATK

With my original moveset, adding seed bomb.

Substitute
Focus Punch
Seed bomb
Spore

I'll live or outspeed for a spore, let my toxic orb kick in, throw up a substitute so I'm safe if my buddy wakes up early or switches in on me. Then I Focus Punch or seed bomb depending on what it is. Even with a type dis-advantage a STAB Focus Punch HURTS! I'll be healing myself all the time and I can keep putting up substitute or using spore depending on if I kill the thing I originally put to sleep. This strategy could possibly let me switch in on stuff like tyranitar and Garchomp.

That's basically the weakened standard version. Although Substitute seems good in the long run, it doesn't really survive long enough for your Breloom. I've had Brelooms basically running that set except with Leech Seed over Seed Bomb, and had it outstall a Cresselia! No matter how many times it broke it's sub, with the combination of Leech Seed and Poison heal, it made up more than enough of it's HP.

On contrast, my Cresselia goes up against a Breloom like that and manages to whittle away it's HP enough that it cant' Sub in the next turn, and I move in for the kill.

Also if you go with that, take what I've put for the HP EVs since it already gives max Poison Heal recovery, and what ShadyWolf has given for the speed stat since it outspeeds what it is capable of outspeeding, and the rest goes into attack.

Last edited:
To Marine:

I really dread the idea of a Breloom without a considerable amount of Attack EVs. If you're going to try to outspeed another Pokemon, make that your aim. This means a Jolly Nature, and that gives Breloom a 297 (given the 4 EVs) ATK. While it might work well enough, I'm just skeptical of giving Breloom few or no EVs in its best stat, especially when its second-best stat is only average, its third-best stat is low-end average and the rest of its stats leave a bit to be desired.

I wouldn't count on switching into Garchomp, since a Jolly Garchomp takes about 87% of your Breloom's HP away with an Outrage. Granted, that's about the worst-case scenario, but you're suffering a minimum of ~74% HP loss against a Pokemon that will most certainly outspeed you on the next turn. You'd fare well enough against Tyranitar, but I'm quite opposed to using a moveset to stop one or two Pokemon alone(hence my preference for EVs in ATK and not HP).

@Marine
Really, I find my whole "Breloom can counter Tyranitar" comment misleading. I should rephrase it to "Breloom counters Physical Tyranitar"

I really wouldn't count on it as your only counter when Tyranitar has multiple movesets ranging from both sides of trhe offensive spectrum, and a couple defensive spreads which could take on the likes of SpecsMence's Draco meteor.

I don't count on my Breloom as a Tyranitar counter as much as I do a utility Pokemon who sets up sleep, and outstalls other Pokemon. (lol that I kill Infernape with it by outstalling in the hail, of course after it's been weakened).

By adding Leech Seed to your moveset, you are able to outstall your opponent's walls, and essentially do what I call a "pseudo wish-pass." Breloom isn't my favorite subseeder though due to it's lack of offensive options running that specific set, and that it dies to Blissey's Flamthethrower/Ice Beam.

EDIT:
Honestly, like Shady said, it will never get in Garchomp, nor will it (your spread) get in Tyranitar. If my set, which is defensively stronger than yours can't, than I doubt yours could (garchomp). Not to mention that mines actually goes for the instant heal (though very weak) while yours takes away your your hit points in order to bring substitute into this world.

An Adamant max attack Tyranitar will do 34.26% - 40.43% to you, more than enough to break your sub, so your situation goes something like....

Turn 1
Tyranitar used Stone Edge
Breloom switches in
Breloom loses 34.26% - 40.43%
Lost 6% due to sand
Breloom heals 12%

Turn 2
Breloom uses Substitute!
Breloom lost 25% HP
Tyranitar use Stone edge
Substitute is lost
Lost 6% due to sand
Breloom heals 12 %

Now this is from a Tyranitar who does not have Chocie band, or has not used Dragon Dance. With a level 1 attack boost, it will do 51.23% - 60.49% damage. Hardly a counter. And this is going for the best case scenerio of no critical hits. Now imagine if it has used Dragon Dance, it will be too fast for you to sub to weaken the damage. Not to mention that DDTars usually hold Taunt (though I doubt one would risk it against a Breloom with fighting moves)

My set on the otherhand recieves 42.81% - 50.31%, and it can easily be healed by Posion heal on the turn it switches in. I can then further ensure my victory by using Protect, putting me in the "safe zone" and proceed with the 2HKO. Of course, this is me running one of the least defensive spread of the defensive Breloom spreads, some opt for an Adamant nature, but max defense, giving it both the offensive and defensive boost it needs. That set recieves 39.38% - 46.56% from Stone Edge, with a much stronger offensive (which makes me wonder why the hell I'm running my set for), though it is still a 2HKO on Tyranitar, but at the cost of it's speed.

But, like I mentioned, what I sue my Breloom for is utility.

Now back onto your original comment of:

"Well I'm going to retaliate, since you are always wanting some one to legitamately argue with your rates.

As you can see, by your asking questions, you not only gain from the experience, but I do aswell. The only way to better ourselves is to ask questions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom