• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S11 EP15: Crossing the Battle Line!

Okay, I just saw the episode today (I don't really watch the anime anymore, but it was on and I was curious) and I have to say...what the heck?

I liked Ash's battle with Reggie, but giving Paul an older brother seemed to me like a bad soap opera plot, especially when they showcased all the badges and everything he'd won and displayed how strong he was. I mean, sure, it might give us some insight into Paul and why he is the way he is, but...the whole thing seemed forced. Then again, I was on the phone coordinating a get-together at my house for half the battle, so I thought Ash's Staravia had evolved when I saw the Staraptor come up on the Pokedex. As a character, I actually very much like Reggie -- I just don't think he should have been made Paul's older brother.

I really liked Maylene's character. She seemed very down to earth and realistic -- moreso than some of the other gym leaders in past seasons. Lucario was just a little jerk, though -- if they were once so close, and if Lucario can really know what Maylene's thinking, then it should have known why she was acting the way she did. It's Jedi moves with Bone Rush were really cool, though.

Oh dear, Ash's line... XD I actually did a double-take at that one. However, I liked the interactivity he took in teaching Staravia Brave Bird, though I don't think it should have learned that move at least until it evolved. Teaching a pokemon of that level such a high-level move seems to be overkill.

My friend and I cracked up so hard at some of the voices: Pikachu's areial vocal as it was taking down Staraptor (the "kakakakaka!" XD) and Meditite's and Lucario's voices. Meditite's voice was just hilarious to listen to, and Lucario sounded like a constipated disgruntled person.

Yes, definitely! And the fact that Piplup only hit Lucario ONCE (whirlpool doesn't count because it didn't hurt Lucario; only trapped it) made it even worse. I don't think Lucario is an invincible god of a Pokemon like some people do, and I like Piplup, but still...Piplup should have fainted from the first point-blank Force Palm, if not sooner.

No crap...what, Ambipom, who has so much more training and experience than Piplup, goes down in a couple hits, while Piplup lasts that long? Give me a break -- there's no way. And Buneary's using it's ears to spring it up into the Bounce attack was just...strange. Dawn could have at least used Pachirisu for some more type variety, as she even shows that she knows that Fighting-types are strong against Normal-types. Though I have to say, I was waiting for Piplup to evolve in this episode -- I was actually really surprised that it didn't. I did expect it to lose, though.

And the announcer...did he really have to say "So..." before each phrase? It's as if he's making comments about the state of the world as they know it, instead of refereeing a gym match.

So...there's my review. Say what you will (or won't) about it.

Buneary bouncing on its ears is my favorite thing about it. I think Buneary has some of the best battles, which is why I wish Dawn would use it more.

Emerald Dragonite said:
As a character, I actually very much like Reggie -- I just don't think he should have been made Paul's older brother.

Then who do you think he should be? Another CotD? Wouldn't that be a boring filler, reminiscent of Johto? It fits perfectly to be Paul's older brother just to show the opposite he is.

Then who do you think he should be? Another CotD? Wouldn't that be a boring filler, reminiscent of Johto? It fits perfectly to be Paul's older brother just to show the opposite he is.

I agree that Reggie works very well as a foil to Paul -- the whole 'your rival conviniently has an older brother' bit just seems forced and is (IMO) remniscent of a bad soap opera's attempt at a plot.

No crap...what, Ambipom, who has so much more training and experience than Piplup, goes down in a couple hits, while Piplup lasts that long? Give me a break -- there's no way. And Buneary's using it's ears to spring it up into the Bounce attack was just...strange. Dawn could have at least used Pachirisu for some more type variety, as she even shows that she knows that Fighting-types are strong against Normal-types. Though I have to say, I was waiting for Piplup to evolve in this episode -- I was actually really surprised that it didn't. I did expect it to lose, though.
I think this all starts back when Piplup beats Kenny's Prinplup. Even though I think in games Piplup and its evos are the worst starter Pokémon ever, I liked it in Anime untill that point. But writers, for soume stupid reason, decides to make Dawn's Piplup "Ash's Pikachu version 2" and taht's pretty much unacceptable for me. And (yes, spoiler for actual spoiler ;-) )
it turns to be even worser in future. I especially hate writers let Piplup beats May's Glaceon. That IMO were one of the least believable battles in history of Pokémon Anime.

it turns to be even worser in future. I especially hate writers let Piplup beats May's Glaceon. That IMO were one of the least believable battles in history of Pokémon Anime.

It's not THAT unbelieveable
May use her newest most inexperienced Pokémon while Dawn use her best and most experienced Pokémon
The water field also gives Piplup an advantage
And there's also the fact Piplup had much more reasons to give its best than Glaceon
They really emphasized how much Piplup care for Dawn and want her to get out of her depression... for Glaceon that was just another Contest

It's not THAT unbelieveable
May use her newest most inexperienced Pokémon while Dawn use her best and most experienced Pokémon
The water field also gives Piplup an advantage
And there's also the fact Piplup had much more reasons to give its best than Glaceon
They really emphasized how much Piplup care for Dawn and want her to get out of her depression... for Glaceon that was just another Contest
And that's exactly my problem. Piplup definitely IS NOT Dawn's most experienced Pokémon. Dawn's most powerful and most experienced (and therefore best IMO :lol: ) Pokémon is Ambipom. Not only she were with Ash before Dawn even start her journey, but also is Dawn's only evolved Pokémon. And, no matter how much you will denied this, it will valid until Piplup evolves to Empoleon :p Yes, Glaceon were newly evolved Pokémon and Eevee is May's newest capture, but still, Glaceon is WAY MORE experienced than ANY of Dawn's Pokémon and evolved.
Though I must admit you are right Piplup tries hard for Dawn, because it loves her, and also have slight advantage in water, it still makes Piplup overpowered Pokémon and therefore hardly believable for me. And I don't know about you, but for me, one Pikachu in anime is enough. I don't want another overpowered and overused Pokémon. We've seen many of this in past and I start to hope writers will not repeat this. But I were wrong and that's sad for me.

And that's exactly my problem. Piplup definitely IS NOT Dawn's most experienced Pokémon. Dawn's most powerful and most experienced (and therefore best IMO :lol: ) Pokémon is Ambipom. Not only she were with Ash before Dawn even start her journey, but also is Dawn's only evolved Pokémon. And, no matter how much you will denied this, it will valid until Piplup evolves to Empoleon :p Yes, Glaceon were newly evolved Pokémon and Eevee is May's newest capture, but still, Glaceon is WAY MORE experienced than ANY of Dawn's Pokémon and evolved.
Though I must admit you are right Piplup tries hard for Dawn, because it loves her, and also have slight advantage in water, it still makes Piplup overpowered Pokémon and therefore hardly believable for me. And I don't know about you, but for me, one Pikachu in anime is enough. I don't want another overpowered and overused Pokémon. We've seen many of this in past and I start to hope writers will not repeat this. But I were wrong and that's sad for me.

I'm with you...Piplup is EXTREMELY overpowered. It's not even that great of a Pokemon, nor are it's evos. There's only so much a Pokemon can do if it "tries hard" and "does it's best" for it's trainer, yet has little-to-no firsthand experience in battling.

And Dawn's a coordinator too -- IMO, Coordinators = not-so-hot battlers. True, she did have the gym battle with Maylene, but let's not forget that May originally planned to battle gyms as well until she saw a contest and decided to become a Coordinator. That must mean that, before her journey, she studied and prepared for techniques specifically designed for BATTLES. So that should have given May even MORE of an upper hand, on top of her experience. Why she lost, then, is a complete mystery to me.

I don't think Coordinators are supposed to be "not that great" compared to trainers competing for the League. They can be just as tough. Take (and I regret using him as an example) Nando. He does gyms and contests, so he can be tough too (if we see more of him). I wonder if they'll show him in a gym battle.

I wouldn't say Piplup's evolutions aren't great. They're the evolutions of the starter Pokemon.

I don't think Coordinators are supposed to be "not that great" compared to trainers competing for the League. They can be just as tough. Take (and I regret using him as an example) Nando. He does gyms and contests, so he can be tough too (if we see more of him). I wonder if they'll show him in a gym battle.

That's really just IMO

I wouldn't say Piplup's evolutions aren't great. They're the evolutions of the starter Pokemon.

That...really doesn't mean anything. Just because it's a starter doesn't mean it's automatically great. But then again, this is mostly just IMO.

No, that's not what I meant, but usually evolutions of starter Pokemon are supposed to be better than the basic form.

Well, then that's a given for ANY evolutionary forms, not just those of the starter pokemon.

Well personally I didn't like Torchic because it looks like a baby Pokemon to me, but I don't complain about its evolutions, since they're much better. And come to think of it, what you said about Piplup I'd say the same to Chikorita.

Well personally I didn't like Torchic because it looks like a baby Pokemon to me, but I don't complain about its evolutions, since they're much better. And come to think of it, what you said about Piplup I'd say the same to Chikorita.

And I've got no problem with that, despite the fact that I really like Chikorita. But evolutions are supposed to be better than their basic forms, in any line -- that's just a given. Wheather or not they actually are better depends on the pokemon and is a debate for another thread.

The whole Chikorita family didn't please me. It's the only starter family that looks too "cute" and "girly".

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom