• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM027: Come Forth! The Red, Red Gaze of Lugarugan!!

I expected Gladion to completely crush Ash and Ash to get all fired up and look for all ways to get advice on how to train Rockruff. But Team Rocket had to interrupt in...
First TRio, then Lillie had to save Ash from being humiliated by Gladion :D:D:D

Is Rockruff always hyper? A few minutes of excitement would have been cute, but the continuous barking started to get irritating after ten minutes.

No battle between Gladion and Ash. I expected Gladion to completely crush Ash and Ash to get all fired up and look for all ways to get advice on how to train Rockruff. But Team Rocket had to interrupt in...

Loved Umbreon's voice.

It's a puppy. It's supposed to be hyper.

Yes, but IIRC Kukui mentions that it's particularly gotten its hype on because it was inspired by seeing Lugarugan.
After watching this episode I wonder if Rockruff is ,,alolan Froakie" and Lugarugan ,,alolan Greninja"- cause in this episode it seems like that for me ( personally I prefer Rockruff and Lugarugan- maybe it's about their personality)...

At first I thought Litten would be the ace but after seeing the focus Rockruff has gotten in episode 15 and episode 27, and the fact that Ash's rival has a Midnight Lycanroc as his ace makes me think that maybe Rockruff could be the ace, unless theirs actually no ace in Sun & Moon which I would prefer.

I think they did a good job with this episode! I think Gladion carried over well from the games. I chuckled every time he pulled his signature poses. I think the amount of background we got on him in this episode was good for a start. I don't want to know the whole story right away. It was interesting to learn he hasn't been gone for all that long, he's always cared for Pokémon, and seems to be protective of Lillie. Right now I'd say that storyline is shaping up very nicely.

Gladion's personality I also enjoyed. I felt like he was a good mix of serious and kindhearted. He definitely brings a different tone with him than most of the other characters, and while I've really been enjoying the lightheartedness of SM, I also appreciate the slightly more serious tone of this episode. It's not super edgy and straight laced, which I don't enjoy.

I don't really care about seeing battles (yeah, I know, it's Pokémon) but I wasn't super excited when Team Rocket interrupted the battle between Ash and Gladion, mainly because I like how Team Rocket has been portrayed so far in SM, and this just seemed like it was taking it back to the same old boring formula of interrupting battles and the like to try and steal Pikachu. As long as they don't get super consistent with it again I can let it slide. Let Team Rocket keep doing things other than just trying to steal Pikachu!

Something else that did bother me: Ash begging Gladion for a battle right after his interaction with Lillie. I understand that Ash is very excitable when it comes to battles, so I wouldn't call the moment out of character, but...it kind of came across as somewhat jerkish? Even more so than that, I really feel like the writers choosing to have Ash do that immediately after the Gladion/Lillie scene broke up the tension far too quickly and ruined the moment. The placement was all wrong.

How come no one's bothered by how insensitive Satoshi was towards his friend Lillie's relationship with her brother?

What do you mean? How was Ash incentive?

Loved Umbreon's voice.

Agreed. We need more of this. A lot more.

But Continental Crush takes the cake here. Who had the idea of making a boulder so huge it looked like a meteor was coming our way? That was unnecessary. Goku called, he wants his Genki Dama back, The Pokémon Company will hear from his lawyers.

I don't think it was unecessary. It was just showing how powerful and flashy Z-Moves are. And it kind of looks how it sounds, even though it wasn't the size of a continent, it was still pretty big. What should the move have looked like instead?

Here are some things that I found interesting about the episode.
- I wonder why Gladion doesn't want to fight in front of Lillie.

- I know this is probably just nothing, but I kind of found it weird how Gladion didn't enter the house when he wanted Hobbes to see him. I mean, why couldn't he just go in and see Hobbes. Wouldn't that have been quicker, since Eevee was badly hurt. And then I started to think, maybe he doesn't like going inside places, which seems pretty silly, but then I remembered that he used Umbreon to deliver Ash a note, telling him where to meet for there battle. Of course, Gladion probably didn't go inside the first time because he was could have been a spoiled child, even though everything else about his childhood seems to to negate that and he probably just didn't want to drop the note in Professor Kukui's house in order to seem mysterious.

- Does anyone else find it weird that they didn't show Team Rocket spying on Gladion battling those Tupper, Wrap and Zip? I mean sure, they didn't have to, but usually they do before Team Rocket comment on something.

- And I'm also surprised that Rotom Pokedex found what Rowlet did during its battle with Rockruff, sneaking up behind it, surprising, especially when Rotom Pokedex must have seen Rowlet do that to the Yungoos in SM009.

- Didn't Lana hear about Lycanroc's two different forms in SM015?

- I wonder if Rockruff running around Lycanroc before using Bite on it was inspired by Rowlet sometimes sneaking up on its opponents.

- Gladion was pretty smart to command his Lycanroc to use Crunch before Rockruff had been hit by Stone Edge, because it gave Rockruff no time to recuperate itself after being hit by Stone Edge.

- Now we know that Bewear can fly through the air, even after having slowing down.

- It seems like Rotom Pokedex told Ash that he was going to be late for Pokemon School, but Ash didn't seem like he was late in the scene where he was training his Pokemon, even though during the earlier scene, it looked like it took place later in the day than in the final scene.

- I know this is probably just nothing, but I kind of found it weird how Gladion didn't enter the house when he wanted Hobbes to see him. I mean, why couldn't he just go in and see Hobbes. Wouldn't that have been quicker, since Eevee was badly hurt.
Lillie was scared of touching Pokémon at that point, right? Didn't James tell Satoshi in an earlier episode that they don't allow Pokémon inside the house? And I guess Umbreon delivering a message would be easier/cooler than just Gladion knocking on the door in the middle of the night.

Lillie was scared of touching Pokémon at that point, right? Didn't James tell Satoshi in an earlier episode that they don't allow Pokémon inside the house? And I guess Umbreon delivering a message would be easier/cooler than just Gladion knocking on the door in the middle of the night.
Ah, then the Eevee scene must have been after Lillie's incident, because he probably doesn't want Pokemon in the mansion because he's afraid Lillie will get scared of them. Either that or he thinks they may cause a mess inside the house. Anyway, it was just something I noticed, since Gladion seems to be a pretty mysterious character so far.

What do you mean? How was Ash incentive?
Something else that did bother me: Ash begging Gladion for a battle right after his interaction with Lillie. I understand that Ash is very excitable when it comes to battles, so I wouldn't call the moment out of character, but...it kind of came across as somewhat jerkish? Even more so than that, I really feel like the writers choosing to have Ash do that immediately after the Gladion/Lillie scene broke up the tension far too quickly and ruined the moment. The placement was all wrong.
Also that he colluded with Gladio so he could escaped before Lillie caught up with them on the beach. What is his issue? This has nothing to do with him, except for that Lillie is his friend and if he does anything at all, then it should be in support of her.

The first subtitler decided to insert "Get out" into Gladion's lines. I'm fairly certain he did not say "Get out" at any point in the episode.

Wrongful Get Out.png

@Islander Princess
About TRio- as OS fan i definetely prefer TRio simply as ,,Team Rocket members"- when they did something else (since AG) it was just a...filler. I don't understand these boring Jessie's hobbys actually. It always was unnatural and unnecessary for me. So, I really enjoy TRio's actions in SM- it's so classic, i think. So, it depends what else they would do cause Jessie from Kalos didn't remind Jessie from Kanto...of course I don't think they should only try to steal te same yellow Mouse :D For example, I really like their ,,bussinesses" just like in Hoenn when they soldi pokeblocks and Wobbuffet was too cool :D
About Ash, Lillie and Gladion- i couldn't agree more. I think Lillie-Gladion scenes should have been...finished and they haven't because of Ash's annoying behaviour.
,,Jerkish"- I couldn't find better word :D
@ii kanji
Cool new avatar and signature :D

Last edited:
The first subtitler decided to insert "Get out" into Gladion's lines. I'm fairly certain he did not say "Get out" at any point in the episode.
People must remember that subs from Youtube is hardly trustworthy, stuff we learned from them should be taken with a grain of salt. Can anyone confirm if that's true?
Screenshot_2017-05-20-15-40-00-1.png

Also that he colluded with Gladio so he could escaped before Lillie caught up with them on the beach. What is his issue? This has nothing to do with him, except for that Lillie is his friend and if he does anything at all, then it should be in support of her.
Sure it was insensitive, but there's a couple of things to note. Ash loves battling, and him wanting to battle someone strong isn't ever going to stop. Gladion was done talking with Lillie and Hobbes, and I don't think Ash could have made Gladion continue talking to them when he didn't want to. Gladion was free, so since Ash wanted to battle him, that was the perfect opportunity. And then there's the main thing to remember, Ash didn't know that there was a strain in their relationship until he visited her mansion in this episode. All he knew before this was that he went to live somewhere else. For all Ash knew, everything was fine with them, or Gladion had a good reason for abruptly leaving. And I wouldn't say the thing he did at the end was bad either. There wasn't any colluding, Gladion wanted to leave for a good reason, and Ash did nothing. If Lillie wanted to go after Gladion, she could have and sure, Gladion shouldn't have been so rude, but he has a right not to want to talk to her. Maybe there is something he doesn't think she should know or he is scared to open up to her.

Here's what I don't get: How come ash's classmates don't know about the other pokemon? They live on the dang island don't they?

Lana didn't know lycanroc had two forms

In SM008 hobbs, mallow, and lillie didn't know what a salandit was therefore rotom had to tell them.

And I think there's a few more examples

Here's what I don't get: How come ash's classmates don't know about the other pokemon? They live on the dang island don't they?

In SM008 hobbs, mallow, and lillie didn't know what a salandit was therefore rotom had to tell them.

Tis an anime trope. It's one of those things that exists more for the audience than the character. It's like Yu-Gi-Oh's Pot of Greed thing.

I would say ,,TheoryOfDifferentPokeUniverseExplainsEverything" but I don't wanna be a bore :whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

I would say ,,TheoryOfDifferentPokeUniverseExplainsEverything" but I don't wanna be a bore :whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:
That whole "Sun&Moon is a different universe" thing is silly.

If it was , then how come in SM001 ash mentioned his tauros?

And in SM023 they had wigs of brock, may, and lysandre.

At this point I think that theory is debunked dude

And besides, no one working on the anime has said that was the case. This is the same ash that we got in XY, and XY&Z.

He just...looks a bit different.

Sure it was insensitive, but there's a couple of things to note. Ash loves battling, and him wanting to battle someone strong isn't ever going to stop. Gladion was done talking with Lillie and Hobbes, and I don't think Ash could have made Gladion continue talking to them when he didn't want to. Gladion was free, so since Ash wanted to battle him, that was the perfect opportunity. And then there's the main thing to remember, Ash didn't know that there was a strain in their relationship until he visited her mansion in this episode.
Sorry mate but even aged 10, I think his empathy sensors would have to be pret-ty faulty to not pick up on the uncomfortable vibe coming from Lillie and Gladio's interaction. It was patently inappropriate to chase after him following that exchange.

Of course, yes, the explanation is immaturity and yes, it's good that Satoshi has flaws and I am forced to dislike him from time to time.
@ii kanji
Cool new avatar and signature :D
Thanks buddy. Can you tell I'm excited?

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom