• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation:Will Gen 6 have a third game or something different?

What will happen after the Gen 6 main pair?

• A third game, like Gens 1-4

Votes: 124 51.9%
  • Sequels like Black 2 and White 2

Votes: 51 21.3%
  • A prequel maybe, we've never seen that

Votes: 28 11.7%
  • Other/something totally original(explain)

Votes: 36 15.1%

• Total voters
But we already know the reasons behind the "sequels"; Nintendo wasn't here for them doing two "third versions" just for those stupid difficulty key features, and GameFreak was dead set on doing it, so they compromised and made sequels. But originally Gen. 5 was getting Gray, just like Platinum, Emerald, Crystal and Yellow before it and just like Z after it. I don't know why it would be disappointing when both Emerald and Platinum are regarded as the gems of the series. They could easily do a Pokémon Z that outshines both X and Y while bringing the best of both worlds.

There's some things that need improving that a third version can't do though. The storyline could stand to be redone from the ground up, which they can't do because it needs to stick to the base storyline. The region design could use a huge facelift and add tons of areas like BW2 did for Unova. And on top of that, you get all kinds of neat bonuses like new characters and gym leaders.

@Bolt the Cat- I think that's one of the reason why you play the game. You utilize the story, you participate on it and you check the changes that has been made from the previous game.

No, that's why YOU play the game, not why I play the game. I look for new gameplay experiences in a new game, having new areas, an expanded regional dex, and the like is much more interesting to me than a slightly different storyline. And even the changes in the storyline aren't always that great, it might be slightly different, but it still needs to stick to the same structure of the originals. And if there's a problem with the game's structure, a third version won't fix it. You need a sequel that can make larger scale changes.

Tbh, Pokémon Z as an idea is very lame, particularly after B2W2. Let's have a new story, new (or redesigned) characters, a bunch of new areas to go, perhaps bring seasons back, and most routes changed dramatically. Add that to all the post-game/rebattles/etc we already expect and I'll be very interested.

Apologies to those who want a third version, but that sounds so boring when they could do so much more. Who seriously wants to play through the same areas all over again?

Please don't tell me you didn't play Emerald and Platinum and other remakes? And of course the ORAS, please don't tell me you're not gonna play it?
I missed Gen III and IV due to life. I now have a copy of Platinum but have no need to play DP because of it. And because ORAS is coming out, I have no need to play any of the GBA versions.
I did play HGSS. That was magnificent, but that's because they remade the entire game from scratch and added a butt-ton of new features. Tbh, I expect ORAS to feel much the same way.

So sure, I'll probably get the third version out of habit, but I'll most likely feel a little cheated unless there are both vast improvements and changes. There is a bare minimum amount of lore surrounding even the cover legends in XY, and there were so few new ones (only three?) it felt unfinished.

I did play HGSS. That was magnificent, but that's because they remade the entire game from scratch and added a butt-ton of new features. Tbh, I expect ORAS to feel much the same way.

Considering how they've been emphasizing old features in the news reveals and haven't revealed anything new, I doubt it. We knew a lot of exciting things about HGSS around this point, like Pokemon following, the Berry Pots, the Pokeathlon, etc. We haven't seen anything nearly that great from ORAS, just the same old things from the originals and new Mega Evolutions, that's it.

Considering how they've been emphasizing old features in the news reveals and haven't revealed anything new, I doubt it. We knew a lot of exciting things about HGSS around this point, like Pokemon following, the Berry Pots, the Pokeathlon, etc. We haven't seen anything nearly that great from ORAS, just the same old things from the originals and new Mega Evolutions, that's it.
I'm avoiding all the news as I don't want to get spoiled. Since I never played the originals... well, it's not so bad, really. Just seeing the region in 3D is enough; everything else is icing. I never thought the GBA games looked particularly amazing graphics-wise.

(I think we may have gone off-topic here... sorry).

I'm avoiding all the news as I don't want to get spoiled. Since I never played the originals... well, it's not so bad, really. Just seeing the region in 3D is enough; everything else is icing. I never thought the GBA games looked particularly amazing graphics-wise.

(I think we may have gone off-topic here... sorry).

Oh sorry, I didn't know.

Anyway, to you it might not be a big deal because you're getting a new experience regardless. To someone who's played every single Pokemon game up until now, not so much, there's no real hook yet, nothing that separates it from the originals or other Pokemon games. They're basically just selling it on nostalgia.

There's some things that need improving that a third version can't do though. The storyline could stand to be redone from the ground up, which they can't do because it needs to stick to the base storyline. The region design could use a huge facelift and add tons of areas like BW2 did for Unova. And on top of that, you get all kinds of neat bonuses like new characters and gym leaders.

But you're assuming that a third version would be an exact re-do of the same game with just a handful of differences. We already know thanks to the Unova games that parallel realities exist in the Pokémon world. Maybe we would get Serena/Calem's journey through a completely different storyline that would focus more heavily on Mega Evolution, AZ's War and Team Flare. Or maybe in this alternate world, Looker's story gets bumped into main game plot (much better IMO) and something else gets pushed into post-game where it's more easily fleshed out (for example, AZ's War). The third version has always been "hey, let's bring both cover legendaries in and change up some version exclusives while bringing in more plot". But GameFreak has consistently broken tradition after Platinum.

But you're assuming that a third version would be an exact re-do of the same game with just a handful of differences. We already know thanks to the Unova games that parallel realities exist in the Pokémon world. Maybe we would get Serena/Calem's journey through a completely different storyline that would focus more heavily on Mega Evolution, AZ's War and Team Flare. Or maybe in this alternate world, Looker's story gets bumped into main game plot (much better IMO) and something else gets pushed into post-game where it's more easily fleshed out (for example, AZ's War). The third version has always been "hey, let's bring both cover legendaries in and change up some version exclusives while bringing in more plot". But GameFreak has consistently broken tradition after Platinum.

They can't just rewrite the storyline from scratch in a third version, they have to stick to the basic framework of the originals. Platinum is about the limit on what a third version can do, they can add Pokemon, they can tweak the storyline, but they can't reinvent the wheel. Sequels on the other hand, can do pretty much anything they want as long as they don't contradict what the first game did.

They can't just rewrite the storyline from scratch in a third version, they have to stick to the basic framework of the originals. Platinum is about the limit on what a third version can do, they can add Pokemon, they can tweak the storyline, but they can't reinvent the wheel. Sequels on the other hand, can do pretty much anything they want as long as they don't contradict what the first game did.

Says who? GameFreak can come up with whatever they like. :)

Says who? GameFreak can come up with whatever they like. :)

Because it defeats the purpose. The point of a third version is to enhance the originals, not rebuild them from scratch.

@Bolt the Cat- I think that's one of the reason why you play the game. You utilize the story, you participate on it and you check the changes that has been made from the previous game.

No, that's why YOU play the game, not why I play the game. I look for new gameplay experiences in a new game, having new areas, an expanded regional dex, and the like is much more interesting to me than a slightly different storyline. And even the changes in the storyline aren't always that great, it might be slightly different, but it still needs to stick to the same structure of the originals. And if there's a problem with the game's structure, a third version won't fix it. You need a sequel that can make larger scale changes.[/QUOTE]

Actually you're correct. That's why I said, "one of the reasons". Overall, just like what you said, "new gameplay experience" always matters. And that's what Gamefreak and Pokemon has brought us recently. That's why we're always play the game. That's why we always ask for something different. And I guess, and that's reason why we're thinking for another "something different" to give them an idea on what we really want.

Anyway, just made a thought of it last night. I think a sequel, but with side game or post-game mission, featuring an Ancient Kalos and young AZ and his brother, and that the player will turn back to that type time to prevent some incident or whatever. I guess that would be different.

Anyway, just made a thought of it last night. I think a sequel, but with side game or post-game mission, featuring an Ancient Kalos and young AZ and his brother, and that the player will turn back to that type time to prevent some incident or whatever. I guess that would be different.

Like Guardian Signs? That could be interesting.

Because it defeats the purpose. The point of a third version is to enhance the originals, not rebuild them from scratch.

Again, that's the fanbase's definition of a third version game, not necessarily GameFreak's.

Again, that's the fanbase's definition of a third version game, not necessarily GameFreak's.

I highly doubt Game Freak's definition of a third version is so liberal.

We also doubted any game would ever get sequels. Or getting a new type. Hoenn remakes. Customization. For all we know, we might even get a prequel (there's evidence for that argument all over the games). So there's really nothing GameFreak can't do at this point. If they go the same route as always, they're preserving the formula and tradition, and if they do something different, they'll revolutionize the series. It's a win-win.

We also doubted any game would ever get sequels. Or getting a new type. Hoenn remakes. Customization. For all we know, we might even get a prequel (there's evidence for that argument all over the games). So there's really nothing GameFreak can't do at this point. If they go the same route as always, they're preserving the formula and tradition, and if they do something different, they'll revolutionize the series. It's a win-win.

Considering how this generation is going, it seems they have no interest in revolutionizing anything right now.

Considering how this generation is going, it seems they have no interest in revolutionizing anything right now.

Which is fine with me. I have no problems with third versions. Especially if they're anything like Platinum.

I very much doubt a third version will happen. BW2 sold better than any third version so there is no incentive for Game Freak to do another third version. It outsold Emerald by a landslide. It took Platinum two years to sell 7 million copies and BW2 sold even more than that in just one year. Despite being a B-team game though, ORAS seems to be Game Freak's primary focus right now. In comparison, Black & White was being developed alongside HGSS. If Game Freak wants to continue the series annual releases then a third version is the only thing they could release this year. I'm not even sure we'll have a revisit to Kalos. Given X/Y's hints towards a new region and the 3DS hitting the five year mark next year, I think they'll wait. While Pokemon has been an annual franchise since Platinum, Game Freak has no incentive to revisit Kalos. All the signs point towards the new region on the 3DS's successor which is probably going to be released in 2016. Nintendo will want a Pokemon game for launch to ensure the consoles' success. Pokemon sells systems and there's no way Iwata will allow Game Freak to keep developing for the 3DS.

I see them trying to push the 3ds with hardware revisions and new features for a 7 to 10 year life span (until 2018 - 2021) largely because of the wii u

Pokemon Z Version Discussion Thread

A Pokemon Z version is pretty much an obvious assumption. This thread is to discuss what you'd want to see in this inevitable third version.

This is what I'd like to see:

-Mega Evolutions for the Kalos starters: in this version you choose your starter in the hometown, then when you get to Lumiose City, Professor Sycamore gives you their Mega Stone.
-The games plot centres around Zygarde, with Xerneas and Yveltel playing important roles.
-Mega Evolutions for Xerneas, Yveltel and Zygarde.
-Certain additions or substitutions to the Kalos Pokedex.
--Give a few more Pokemon Mega Evolutions, my personal ME choices include: Mega Zoroark (as a counterpart to Mega Lucario), Mega Slowking (Mega Slowbro counterpart), Mega Butterfree (Mega Beedrill counterpart), Mega Machamp, Mega Dragonite, Mega Mewtwo Z, among others.
-Give the train station in Couriway Town a function.
-New locations overall.
--New location idea: Lumiose Suberbs. Serves as the players "hometown" in this version. Located on the outskirts of Lumiose City, technically considered a part of Lumiose. The player needs to take a short route in order to reach the city at the start of their journey.
-Allow players to crossdress.

I think a Third Version would be one of the games in the series. It would be cool if they re-made Pokemon Emerald too but I bet you a million dollars that won't happen. Most likely, they might just skip another game all together and go to the next Generation. Ahahahahaha... (Maybe I'm just being to pessimistic right now...)

Whatever main-series Pokemon game comes out, I hope there is a good post-game to it, and more specifically, a Battle Frontier, preferably a brand new one, and if not, a mix between the Sinnoh/Johto and Hoenn Battle Frontiers.

Some people think XY story is soo bad that the only way a Z version could make an ok story is to rebuild an entire new story . I dont think like that. I think XY had a good story, and just some little things have to be fixed:
- Some dialogues from flare grunts with them saying they want to live forever, and that poor and stinky people deserve to die. Lysandre might have some lines saying how amazing are people that can get money by themselves. They can also talk about the 5 millions fee more often, and say how the ones that doesnt have this money deserve to die.
- They getting both xerneas and yveltal. Xerneas to make them live forever, and yveltal to kill everyone else.
- Yes, Lysandres actions make sense. I myself know some people in real life that think that the only way hunger in africa might end, is by throwing a neclear bomb on Africa, so that, it should be done.
- zygard comes to stop them. It thinks youre an amazing trainer, and wants your help, by joining your team. It then mega evolves to beat Lysandre.
- For the post game, you might actually run on a rhyhorn race. Battle maison might have inverse battles and sky battles. You might go to the mountain where cocoon yveltal was, and to the forest where tree xerneas was.

Back
Top Bottom