• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Animation Director Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, Shimura tends to make Ash's hair look..."floppy", for lack of a better term. I actually like that look, though, so it's not really a problem fo me. :p

I wouldnt mind Shimura's floppy Ash hair if she didnt make is eyes look like rectangles >.<

One thing I don't like about Shimura's episodes is how most characters have a sort of dopey (for lack of a better description) look on their faces most of the time, though I'm probably the only one who notices this. However, Funatsu, Hirooka, and Taguchi hire a lot of the same animators that work on Shimura's episodes, but those ADs are better with faces than Shimura is.

Anyway, I have animation director credits for four new episodes:
DP106 - Yūsaku Takeda (came back sooner than I expected, or hoped)
DP107 - Kazue Kinoshita
DP108 - Masaaki Iwane (his second Gym episode in a row)
DP109 - Kunihiko Natsume

^
Oh well, at least they gave Takeda the 'semi-filler' instead of the Gym this time around. Too bad they had Kinoshita do 107, but that's ok for me since Iwane gets the gym. Gym battles are generally largely dependant upon the animation, that's why Fantina's battle was so damn good so hopefully this will be a treat as well. :)

Iwane is just a good animator. Theres no other way to put it. actually, Iwane's and Shimura's styles are the only ones I can see and immediately put a name to. Ive come to like Shimura actually, shes gotten much better in my opinion.

Just a question that I've been having on my mind lately..

Is OLM responsible for animating the movies? Since the animation and art style is a tad bit different.. I guess they are, but I just want to be certain.

Also, somebody should unban Habunake or use some hax mod-skills so we can update the first post >.<

Pardon the double post, we now have new staff info from NewType.

DP110 - Izumi Shimura
DP111 - Toshihito Hirooka
DP112 - Masaaki Iwane
DP113 - Kazue Kinoshita

The worthless mascot episode goes to Iwane. :(

Pardon the double post, we now have new staff info from NewType.

DP110 - Izumi Shimura
DP111 - Toshihito Hirooka
DP112 - Masaaki Iwane
DP113 - Kazue Kinoshita

The worthless mascot episode goes to Iwane. :(

Looks like Hirooka is officially a regular AD again. :)

As for Iwane, I was more than satisfied with his two consecutive gym episodes, so I don't mind if he does a worthless filler for now. I'm sure he'll at least make it good to look at.

Just a question that I've been having on my mind lately..

Is OLM responsible for animating the movies? Since the animation and art style is a tad bit different.. I guess they are, but I just want to be certain.

Yes, OLM handles the movies as well as the TV episodes, though the former are handled by OLM's Team Koitabashi, whereas Team Iguchi handles the latter.

HIROOKA IS BACK! Im like, screaming right now. Yes! Riley looking like he's supposed to! Sorry, but the preview in Shimura style looked chubby.

Re: The Animation Director Thread (Sticky?)

Going by the preview for DP 114, I'm going to say Kunihiko Natsume is the animation director for that episode. As for DP 115 (the wild Junsar episode), I have this horrible gut feeling that episode is Takeda's doing.

It ended up being Shimura for 115.

And I think 116 is Takeda D:

So 117 is Iwane?

You can understand Masaki Iwane 's style very easily.
Look at hard outlines (pencil drawn) and the coarse color
That is Iwane
Tamagawa and Iwane share a lot common in drawing styles and animation.

If I would have seen DP episodes, i could easily tell, but watching pokémon is a problem now a days!~Exams!

DP114 - Kunihiko Natsume
DP115 - Izumi Shimura
DP116 - Yusaku Takeda | Sigh.
DP117 - Toshihito Hirooka | Nice.

Following the pattern; I'm certain that Masaaki Iwane will do 118, whatever episode that is.

Hirooka seems to have reboarded the animation boat.

So he (he, right?) gets the TR ep, and Iwane probably has the Pokeringer.

Iwane probably has the Pokeringer.

I hope so. This'll be an ep where animation quality makes or breaks it, in my eyes anyway. It's very unlikely (fortunately) that it's Takeda who has 116, but it'll be damn annoying if Kinoshita gets it.

I hope so. This'll be an ep where animation quality makes or breaks it, in my eyes anyway. It's very unlikely (fortunately) that it's Takeda who has 116, but it'll be damn annoying if Kinoshita gets it.

But thank god Shimura doesn't get it. I don't want another Shimura Shinji. The Kurogane arc traumatized me.

*prays for Iwane
I've been nervous about this for a while

Hmm, I still don't understand what's so wrong with Shimura. She's one of my favorite ADs as of late. :( Not that I don't want Iwane for DP 116...

Shimura's fine, but we're talking about Takeda for DP116. Everbody remembers the Crasher Wake battle...

I can sort of understand one taking disliking to Shimura's artwork, espicially the faces of human characters, of which she has a particular way of drawing. But it's usually not disruptive, and her pokémon are pretty much spot on more often than not. Her team is now definately the best when it comes down to movement, alongside Iwane and Tamagawa. Pokéringer is bound to have lots of mid-air acrobatics, and I think she'd be able to handle it well, given the chance.

As for Takeda, that scrub really should be disposed of asap. There's low budget, and then there's low budget, and after 11 years of work, it's clear that there isn't going to be anything close to a change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom