• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obsolete: The Japanese Language Help Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@NacCrystal
Thanks!
So...the idea is to put ベルセルクwith やみのディアルガ, right? Or is it wrong?

Not really... It all depends on the context.

ベルセルクの神 is a phrase on its own, やみのディアルガ is another phase on its own. The point is are these two phrases related or not.
Like I said before, if ベルセルクの神 is a description phrase refers to Primal Dialga, then you should translate that phrase according to characteristic of Primal Dialga, so it should rather be "Deity of Violence/Turbulence/Cruelty...", any meaning literally equivalents to ベルセルク while it doesn't include emotions. If it is not, then you can just translate that phrase directly according to its literal meaning, so it can be "Deity of Berserk/Rage/Brutality...", may or may not include meaning of emotions.

One comment from me about translation: Translation is not mechanical work. You should includes the context of the whole sentence in order to translate appropriately.

Excuse me, is someone here capable of translating this tweet from Sugimori?
«短い文章で正確に答えにくい質問もあることを 理解していただけると助かります。»
I've been using Google Translate to get his answers and send mine to him but this time his reply is big enough for the translator to mess up.
«It survives and is also serving to understand that difficult question to answer accurately in short sentences.»
I really need to know if I'm finally starting to get somewhere with my conversations with him...

I've been using Google Translate to get his answers and send mine to him but this time his reply is big enough for the translator to mess up.
«It survives and is also serving to understand that difficult question to answer accurately in short sentences.»
I really need to know if I'm finally starting to get somewhere with my conversations with him...
I think this would translate to...

To give accurate answers in short sentences to questions is difficult. That's the gist I was getting anyway. The translation could be wrong, though.

I think he means that giving answers on Twitter to comprehensive questions are difficult to answer in short sentences since tweets are supposed to be short.

I think this would translate to...

To give accurate answers in short sentences to questions is difficult. That's the gist I was getting anyway. The translation could be wrong, though.

I think he means that giving answers on Twitter to comprehensive questions are difficult to answer in short sentences since tweets are supposed to be short.
Thanks, it helped.

Could someone please translate this?: 鋼符「地獄極楽核爆破」

And this?: 幻想郷のルクセンブルグ

Last edited:

The second is "Gensoukyou no Rukesenburugu," or "Luxembourg, Gensoukyou" (like an address, the same way "Tokyo, Japan" is "Nihon no Toukyou"). I suppose it could also be "Gensoukyou's Luxembourg" or "the Luxembourg of Gensoukyou," which sounds like some sort of comparison.

As for the first, despite it being by an artist with a Japanese pseudonym, it appears to be in either Chinese or kanaless Japanese. o_O And since I don't know Chinese, here's a break down of what I could find in Japanese:

鋼 = hagane, kou = steel
符 = fu = charm/mark/sign/token
地獄 = jigoku = hell
極楽 = gokuraku = paradise
核爆 = kakubaku = nuclear (though I could only find it already attached to other words, such as "kakubakudan" = "nuclear weapon")
破 = ha, wa = something along the lines of "defeat"/"destroy"/"rip" (also, "(in gagaku or noh) middle section of a song"
SomeAwbrowquirk.gif
)

...Over here, I found it labeled "Hell Paradise Nuclear Blast [Metal]," so that may be it.

Last edited:

I thought of Touhou after seeing the 幻想郷 (Can be translated as "Illusory Village"), so the second line could be "Luxembourg of the Illusory Village"

As for the first line, it can be taken as "Steel Charm: Hell Paradise Nuclear Blast"

As for the first, despite it being by an artist with a Japanese pseudonym, it appears to be in either Chinese or kanaless Japanese. o_O And since I don't know Chinese, here's a break down of what I could find in Japanese

It's Japanese. 楽 is the Japanese variation of the character 樂.

SSJ_Jup81 has the gist of it, but the whole tweet means, "I'd be thankful [literally 'saved'] if [unstated subject, presumably his followers] could understand that there are some questions which are difficult to answer correctly with short sentences."

I thought of Touhou after seeing the 幻想郷 (Can be translated as "Illusory Village"), so the second line could be "Luxembourg of the Illusory Village"
Alternatively it could be something like "Luxembourg, village of illusions," with 幻想郷 acting as a descriptor rather than part of the proper noun.

It's Japanese.
So I was partially right.

Alternatively it could be something like "Luxembourg, village of illusions," with 幻想郷 acting as a descriptor rather than part of the proper noun.
Oh? Well, that does make sense.... ...My god, I'll never get this language!
Gaiagonk.gif

*sigh* I'm aware of "X no" as a descriptor rather than a possessive, but I guess I'm so used to thinking of "Gensoukyou" as a place name that to me, it would be like if I gave "Toukyou" as "[the] eastern capital" instead of "Tokyo" seemingly just for the hell of it. :sweat: Stupid stubborn brain....

Thank you everyone, but now I need this please: 花の映る塚

Thank you everyone, but now I need this please: 花の映る塚

First one means flower, pronounced 'hana', with particle no making it possessive. Thus, it means 'flower's' roughly.
Second one (映る) is 'utsuru', and it is a verb meaning to be reflected.
Third one means hill, mound, or heap and is 'tsuka' or 'dzuka'.

I looked it up on google and got phantasmagoria of flower hill. So thus, probably reflections of flower hill. You are looking up a lot of Touhou stuff huh?

As you can see, this title - 東方花映塚 〜 Phantasmagoria of Flower View - features the same kanji, minus kana. Thus I would say reflections of flower hill or reflections of flower view is accurate.

does anyone here use lingualift? i had a free trial (intending to use another email for another; i only got 2 days of my trial as i was working the other 5).

it's for beginners and i was wondering if it was worth doing again? i may not get into university this year (masters in japanese, maybe a masters in linguistics too), but i want to be an english teacher/japanese translator. i'd rather learn now, and revise for my first few months in uni if i dont get in this year.

also does anyone know of any books i can order online (workbooks or textbooks?) that may help me? especially with kanji as i want to at least have some knowledge in that asap!

edit: i can read katakana better than hiragana right now, but thats mainly because i've been practicing with words like scotland, my name, my friends names, etc!

does anyone here use lingualift? i had a free trial (intending to use another email for another; i only got 2 days of my trial as i was working the other 5).

it's for beginners and i was wondering if it was worth doing again? i may not get into university this year (masters in japanese, maybe a masters in linguistics too), but i want to be an english teacher/japanese translator. i'd rather learn now, and revise for my first few months in uni if i dont get in this year.
Sorry, I don't know of this. Hope someone here can give their opinion on it.
also does anyone know of any books i can order online (workbooks or textbooks?) that may help me? especially with kanji as i want to at least have some knowledge in that asap!
I would personally buy flashcards to study kanji. They have them in levels, for example, like 1st grade (beginner), etc. and study them.
edit: i can read katakana better than hiragana right now, but thats mainly because i've been practicing with words like scotland, my name, my friends names, etc!
Well, for me, writing hiragana and katakana helped me to remember them, but ironically, if you ask me to write something (now anyway) using hiragana or katakana I have to really think about it, but if you give me something to read with them, I'm fine as I know them when I see them. lol

But yeah, if you come here, you'll definitely have to get your hiragana/katakana down at least. Flashcards should be good for this too, as well as constantly writing them (same with kanji).

I need to take my own advice. I've forgotten a lot (as far as kanji goes).

SSJ_Jup81 has the gist of it, but the whole tweet means, "I'd be thankful [literally 'saved'] if [unstated subject, presumably his followers] could understand that there are some questions which are difficult to answer correctly with short sentences."
The unstated subject was myself, he was answering some questions I made to him through Twitter regarding the timeline, stuff about Gen1 Blue and the "proper" names for Silver and the Gen1 cast.
It seems these small points are "delicate topics" to discuss with fans... I just can't come to believe it...

I second the flashcards suggestion for kanji. Kanji are really just a matter of rote memorisation. The ones I use are made by Tuttle Flash Cards, and are very good. As well as meanings and pronunciations they show stroke order, compounds, radicals, even dictionary reference numbers.

For textbooks, the Minna no Nihongo series is very popular for beginner to intermediate levels. If you're planning to sit the JLPT, you might want to look into textbooks specifically tailored to the tests. Just make sure you get ones made for the new levels (N1-N5), as the tests and their content were reorganised a couple of years ago.
It seems these small points are "delicate topics" to discuss with fans... I just can't come to believe it...
The way I read it, his point is more that it's hard to give a proper answer to complex questions when constrained by Twitter's character limit.

I'm sorry if this is an annoying question, or has already been answered, but does "mikazuki" (with the characters for "three", "sun/day", and "moon") mean crescent moon? I was going to use it for my username, and I just wanted to be sure.

I'm sorry if this is an annoying question, or has already been answered, but does "mikazuki" (with the characters for "three", "sun/day", and "moon") mean crescent moon? I was going to use it for my username, and I just wanted to be sure.
Yes, 三日月 means a crescent moon. It literally means "third day moon", which according to Wikipedia refers to the third day of the lunar calendar (which starts with the new moon as day 1).

Both ni and e (represented by へ) are used for destination, but ni has many more uses. For example, you can say Gakkou e iku and Gakkou ni iku and both will mean I'm going to school, but you can't say America he sundeiru, you have to say America ni sundeiru (I live in America).

Ni has a lot more uses, such as time, "by", "from", indirect object marker, blablabla. But I don't want to confuse you with my bad explanations, so just check out this website:
Particles: Ni

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom