• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Official Future Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to that Tumblr, the Master Class only lasts two episodes. Shorter than I expected.

The only continuity issue between X/Y and OR/AS is Sycamore asking, "Why are there examples of Mega Evolution found only in the Kalos region?", but that line didn't even make sense in X/Y themselves, so I think it's negligible.

I think the keyword here is "found". It makes more sense when you consider that Hoenn has no historical grounds that are linked to, or have recorded data on, mega evolution. Kalos has the Tower of Mastery and the Anistar Sundial. Hoenn's historal mega evolution, Rayquaza, was a Draconid secret.

I think the keyword here is "found". It makes more sense when you consider that Hoenn has no historical grounds that are linked to, or have recorded data on, mega evolution. Kalos has the Tower of Mastery and the Anistar Sundial. Hoenn's historal mega evolution, Rayquaza, was a Draconid secret.

That's a good point. I honestly don't think it's really worth thinking about all that much, even though I have. And that is a suggestion I have seen before, that he was referring to historical examples of Mega Evolution. And I think that is true - up until the weather crisis, all Mega Stones would have originated from Kalos, and the weather crisis itself is a very recent and well-documented event. They know the origins of Hoenn's Mega Stones, but not the origin of Kalos's.

Although I have another interpretation - I think it's interesting that he says "why are there examples of Mega Evolution found", instead of "why are examples of Mega Evolution found". It's a very subtle difference, but with the "there" included, it sounds to me more like he is referring to specific examples of Mega Evolution. And if you go back and look at where all of the Mega Stones in the game come from, you begin to notice something - nearly all of the ones that are found after the weather crisis are Mega Stones that were introduced in X/Y. So Stones such as Houndoominite and Abomasite are found naturally in both regions. But the Stones that were introduced in OR/AS predominantly all come from people giving them to you - therefore, those could conceivably be traced back to Kalos, so ironically, Stones such as Slowbronite and Metagrossite would be Kalos-exclusive, and imported into Hoenn.

Even when looking at the other characters in OR/AS who employ Mega Evolution, you see that they are all connected to one of two people: Steven, who is explicitly said to have gone to Kalos in search of the Shiny Beldum and a Metagrossite, and Zinnia, who is connected to the ancient order of Draconids, who know all about Mega Evolution. Even Lisia - her uncle is both a Sootopolitan (the sister tribe to the Draconids) *and* a close friend of Steven's.

So perhaps it is possible that Sycamore noticed this, how there were Stones that appeared in both regions, but many that were exclusive to Kalos, and that's what he meant? Perhaps, his knowledge of the weather crisis and the newfound knowledge about Groudon/Kyogre/Rayquaza is what helps him to draw the connection between Xerneas/Yveltal and the irradiation of Kalos's Stones. I don't know. It still doesn't make too much of a difference to me; as I said, gameplay has always been a MUCH higher priority than storyline and it's just one line of dialogue, anyway. But this is a thought I've had about it.

That all being said, I do wonder how future generations will go about it. Surely they can't *all* have some big, environment-energizing event like the weather crisis occur?

That all being said, I do wonder how future generations will go about it. Surely they can't *all* have some big, environment-energizing event like the weather crisis occur?
That's true. Perhaps artificial Mega Stones? Or maybe in a possible gen 6.5 game a similar weapon is activated, but its energy irradiates pretty much all the regions thus leading to creation of brand new Mega Stones?

Or they could just make it super vague and say Mega Stones appeared in other regions out of nowhere without providing any sort of explanation.

I was thinking that maybe Zygarde itself might be able to somehow create Mega Stones, or at least actually produce the same energy that's irradiated from them. What if TF succeeds in launching the Weapon and actually destroys Kalos? Zygarde steps in and fixes everything, and while doing so it creates more Mega Stones*.

*I have a feeling we may get more Megas in the next game, like how ORAS added on to what already existed.

That's true. Perhaps artificial Mega Stones? Or maybe in a possible gen 6.5 game a similar weapon is activated, but its energy irradiates pretty much all the regions thus leading to creation of brand new Mega Stones?

Or they could just make it super vague and say Mega Stones appeared in other regions out of nowhere without providing any sort of explanation.

After what happened with the DNA Splicers in X/Y, I could easily see that second one happening.

On that note, they absolutely need to create a "Stones" pocket in the Bag. There are going to be way too many Mega Stones clogging up the "Items" pocket, if not by the next game(s), then certainly by the ones after that. Alternatively (but less likely), they could condense them all down into a single item called a "Mega Stone" and have it function for all Mega-capable Pokémon. Which would solve the issue of having to litter the Mega Stones all over the region. Just have an NPC give it to you and say it's from Kalos.

I like different mega stones, but having one mega stone would be easier. The pocket would be enough, however.

Having a single Mega Stone would cause issues trying to explain why it only works on some Pokemon, but not others...or why the stone suddenly works on a species of Pokemon in the new games (e.g., ORAS) but not the old ones (e.g., XY). It also would cause additional headaches for Pokemon with multiple Mega Stones.

They'll probably just start selling all the old ones in the game's equivalent of the Battle Tower, and have the new ones scattered throughout the game.

i could see by Gen VIII or hell, even Gen VII, Mega Evolution will have taken a sort of back seat. even with Hoenn's energizing event, there were stones that appeared prior to that (Alakazamite in Slateport?), so it's definitely a possibility. that or they'll just take the route of other legendary items and have them be just there nonsensically (like Genesect's Drives) or just inexplicably.

Mega Stones in other regions can still be the result of the Infinite Weapon, it probably was powerful enough to spread them throughout the world, or it hit enougheteorites and space rocks above Kalos that over time they all fell into different regions. It doesn't matter if I might say though, there is no way they are going to start hiding hundreds of stones all over the regions. My guess is that a final Kalos game is required not only to complete the Mega Mystery Septaculare, but also introduce the concept of Stoneless Mega Evolution. This would come as a solution, or an upgrade if you will, as a result of Sycamore's research following the events of the games. The first Stoneless megas will be the Kalos Starters, to give them a special something.

Last edited:
they could condense them all down into a single item called a "Mega Stone" and have it function for all Mega-capable Pokémon. Which would solve the issue of having to litter the Mega Stones all over the region. Just have an NPC give it to you and say it's from Kalos.
B-b-but muh team preview mixup game D:

Joking aside, a separate pocket just for Mega Stones (and maybe other items that involve the transformation of a Pokémon) would be pretty nice.

Joking aside, a separate pocket just for Mega Stones (and maybe other items that involve the transformation of a Pokémon) would be pretty nice.

That would be good. I've said for a while the Mega Stones need their own pouch, like Berries have, but including all evolution related items seems an even better idea.

Mega Stones, Evolution stones, King's Rock, Razor Fang/Claw, Magmarizer, Electrizer, Reaper Cloth, Up-Grade/Dubious Disc, Sachet, Whipped Dream, Dragon Scale, Deep Sea Scale/Tooth, Protector, Metal Coat, Prism Scale, Everstone etc... can all move into the section too.

That's 70 items/bag slots removed from the messy main section and put into their own department right there. Would help a lot.

Edit: Oh yeah Blue/Red Orb too. That's 72. Probably some others I've missed as well.

Last edited:
Not having mega stones for megas would just unleash absolute chaos. It reminds me of the old Pokemon Plus/Minus rumour, though. That rumour said there was a character (friend of the player I think?) who could mega evolve their Pokemon without the use of stones.

Speaking of the stones...they definitely need a pouch of their own in the bag if we're going to have so many of them available. I've talked about it before, but making the stones based around types rather than singular Pokemon in particular would permanently cut down the number of stones necessary.

If they can, have just a Mega Stone, which enables mega evolutipn. You only have one, maybe two of the item, having to choose whocj Pokemon you want for a mega evo. There alresdy is a one mega usage limit, so why not have just one stone?

If they can, have just a Mega Stone, which enables mega evolutipn. You only have one, maybe two of the item, having to choose whocj Pokemon you want for a mega evo. There alresdy is a one mega usage limit, so why not have just one stone?
Some people prefer to give various Mega Stones to different team members, and decide which to use on the get go, or depending of what each battle requires. This is especially handy for the Battle Spot.

True, true. I just can't see them littering the regions with mega stones after it goes past the 100 mark, and even now at 48 its awkward.

If we get a gen 6 iteration and a gen 7 release in 2017, back to back, we can hit the 100 mark easily by next winter, unless they severly decrease the amount of megas introduced each game, which means it can be a problem soon. I also really don't like the idea of having to buy something that should be an achieavable quest item then some commodity, it would ruin the luster and mystique of the proccess conpletely.

I've talked about it before, but making the stones based around types rather than singular Pokemon in particular would permanently cut down the number of stones necessary.
The problem I see with that is that it'd cut down the possibility of certain mons having a Mega Stone available to them just to hold when you want to swap them out in the PC - unless multiples are available for each type. There's also the problem of battle restrictions often allowing only one of a certain item to a Pokémon at any given time, and if that remains in place then you'd better have some serious diversity or a dual-type, or your strategy is ruined.

If we get a gen 6 iteration and a gen 7 release in 2017, back to back, we can hit the 100 mark easily by next winter, unless they severly decrease the amount of megas introduced each game, which means it can be a problem soon. I also really don't like the idea of having to buy something that should be an achieavable quest item then some commodity, it would ruin the luster and mystique of the proccess conpletely.
The new mega stones would be scattered around the region anyway. And the sold stones could be sold by somebody who doesn't know what he is selling, in order to retain the misticism.

Or, some nice person could give them to you, if you dislike the buying component. The regional professor maybe?

So just clump an odd 60-70 stones into a list that you can slowly deplete, and that's a solution? Yeah no. A conclusion to the story gen 6 started and an in-game solution that's born from everything that has happened sounds much more satisfying.

So just clump an odd 60-70 stones into a list that you can slowly deplete, and that's a solution? Yeah no. A conclusion to the story gen 6 started and an in-game solution that's born from everything that has happened sounds much more satisfying.
For Z, sure. Let's have an in-game explanation.

But I am talking in the future, gen VII or VIII when there are too many mega stones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom