• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Official Future Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The picture maybe, but the post not. This is a picture Mima Masafumi was tweeting the last days. And the fact that the pokemon got blurred out doesn't make sense if this is showing a old picture. And then there was another tweet talking about the characters development or something.

Exactly. I'm wondering if they just took the old book/paper/whatever that is, but purposefully blurred out parts of it as a hint towards what may be happening. Dare I say it, but what if they're going to be getting new roosters of Pokemon? Clemont and Bonnie aren't even in that pic either.

So I have something to discuss for you people here. So there's still AZ's Floette as a Gen 6 event with the pentagon marking left. Magearna and Volcanion are the focus of the next movies. How they want to distribute AZ Floette until fall, if there's a gen 7 this year? And especially for what reason?

There's a theory from TyranitarTube that sounds quite possible. Leave that video here.

So I have something to discuss for you people here. So there's still AZ's Floette as a Gen 6 event with the pentagon marking left. Magearna and Volcanion are the focus of the next movies. How they want to distribute AZ Floette until fall, if there's a gen 7 this year? And especially for what reason?

There's a theory from TyranitarTube that sounds quite possible. Leave that video here.

Magearna being connected to the first Pokeball would be a retcon of the Apricorns then.

Magearna being connected to the first Pokeball would be a retcon of the Apricorns then.

As if that makes a difference as they don't let us use apricorns in any other games than GS/HGSS hahaha

Not sure how that's mutually exclusive. Magearna informs people of how to construct Pokeballs, and Apricorn balls were one of the early prototypes. It could also be convergent design, where the people of Johto discovered the properties of Apricorns independent of Magearna.

Its like when people thought Rayquaza retcon'd the first recorded instance of Mega Evolution with a Lucario. Rayquaza may have Mega Evolved centuries earlier than the first recorded Mega Evolution with a human and Pokemon duo, but Rayquaza achieved it without humans and it seemed like it wasn't recognized as Mega Evolution at first. When Zinnia was talking about Draconid lore, she was being vague regarding what Rayquaza's transformation was called, as if it wasn't given a proper name by the Draconids who recorded the lore, but was assumed to be Mega Evolution by later generations of Draconid:

It was enveloped in blinding light. As the light receded, they beheld a Rayquaza beyond all knowledge— a sublime figure, incandescent with overwhelming life force. It was humanity's wish that brought about Rayquaza's transformation in the face of the rainbow stone... Yes... A wish... An intangible thing, invisible to the eye. Yet this wish bound people and Pokémon together, enabling the Legendary Pokémon to change its appearance... Doesn't it remind you of something? That's right... It sounds like Mega Evolution, doesn't it?

The same situation could happen with Magearna. Perhaps it was the origin of modern-day Pokeballs, while the properties of Apricorns were discovered independently from it. It could actually explain how people managed to develop completely artificial Pokeballs that work universally well with all Pokemon, while Apricorns were developed from natural ingredients and had inconsistent capture properties depending on its type.

There are also modern Pokeballs that have similar effects as Apricorn balls (e.g., Level Ball versus Nest Ball; Friend Ball versus Luxury Ball). If their origins are independent of each other, it makes sense why there are redundancies in their effects, and why some of the "modern" Pokeballs are less efficient than the Apricorn balls (e.g., Friend Ball auto-increases base-friendship levels, while Luxury Ball increases the rate friendship builds). If Modern Pokeballs developed directly from Apricorn balls, then they should be at least equivalently powerful, but if they developed from independent sources, it makes sense why there are Pokballs and Apricorn balls that have similar properties, and why some Apricorn balls are still more powerful than modern Pokeballs.

Last edited:
Not sure how that's mutually exclusive. Magearna informs people of how to construct Pokeballs, and Apricorn balls were one of the early prototypes. It could also be convergent design, where the people of Johto discovered the properties of Apricorns independent of Magearna.

Its like when people thought Rayquaza retcon'd the first recorded instance of Mega Evolution with a Lucario. Rayquaza may have Mega Evolved centuries earlier than the first recorded Mega Evolution with a human and Pokemon duo, but Rayquaza achieved it without humans and it seemed like it wasn't recognized as Mega Evolution at first. When Zinnia was talking about Draconid lore, she was being vague regarding what Rayquaza's transformation was called, as if it wasn't given a proper name by the Draconids who recorded the lore, but was assumed to be Mega Evolution by later generations of Draconid:

It was enveloped in blinding light. As the light receded, they beheld a Rayquaza beyond all knowledge— a sublime figure, incandescent with overwhelming life force. It was humanity's wish that brought about Rayquaza's transformation in the face of the rainbow stone... Yes... A wish... An intangible thing, invisible to the eye. Yet this wish bound people and Pokémon together, enabling the Legendary Pokémon to change its appearance... Doesn't it remind you of something? That's right... It sounds like Mega Evolution, doesn't it?

The same situation could happen with Magearna. Perhaps it was the origin of modern-day Pokeballs, while the properties of Apricorns were discovered independently from it. It could actually explain how people managed to develop completely artificial Pokeballs that work universally well with all Pokemon, while Apricorns were developed from natural ingredients and had inconsistent capture properties depending on its type.

There are also modern Pokeballs that have similar effects as Apricorn balls (e.g., Level Ball versus Nest Ball; Friend Ball versus Luxury Ball). If their origins are independent of each other, it makes sense why there are redundancies in their effects, and why some of the "modern" Pokeballs are less efficient than the Apricorn balls (e.g., Friend Ball auto-increases base-friendship levels, while Luxury Ball increases the rate friendship builds). If Modern Pokeballs developed directly from Apricorn balls, then they should be at least equivalently powerful, but if they developed from independent sources, it makes sense why there are Pokballs and Apricorn balls that have similar properties, and why some Apricorn balls are still more powerful than modern Pokeballs.

You could be right about this. There's tons of instances in REAL history where similar forms of technology were found to exist around the world without the individual civilizations even knowing about each other. I mean look at the different types of pyramids found all over the world or the way people instinctively started to use irrigation. Sometimes ideas come to many people at the same time without anyone realizing it.

Something interesting to keep in mind about Magearna; unlike Volcanion's reveal, we didn't get any in-game footage of it. I'm almost certain that we'll have a game announcement incoming, I think even the middle of March might be pushing it a tad.

Something interesting to keep in mind about Magearna; unlike Volcanion's reveal, we didn't get any in-game footage of it. I'm almost certain that we'll have a game announcement incoming, I think even the middle of March might be pushing it a tad.

How is March pushing it? It could be a perfect opportunity for a new game. Going up to June would be pushing it. We might get more info on Magearna next month or two.

First off, I want to ask something - whatever happened to that Direct people kept saying we might be getting soon?

I'm going to be truthfully blunt about this, but I think it's hilariously ridiculous when the fans scream foul at Game Freak for not doing "better", "different", and "innovative" but yet still continue to buy the games, sometimes both versions or all 3. Actions speak louder than words; when the fans continue to participate in this endless cycle of buying every main series game, it's telling Game Freak that what they're doing and have been doing for the past 20 years is right. So in my opinion, I think that the fans who complain about these things over and over, but continue to "catch 'em all", don't honestly know what they really want.

Yeah, but I like to play the games in order to form my own, proper opinion of them. How do I un-buy the game *after* I've discovered what gripes and criticisms I have with it?

Besides that, I am capable of enjoying something while also seeing an opportunity for improvement. The games continue to be adequate fun that I am happy to pay for, but I would also love it if they tried something different or more innovative. Whether or not they do is up to them.

> implying you want to give Arceus an extra 100 BST
With very rare exception (Mega Alakazam), every Mega Evolution has given the respective Pokémon an extra 100 points in their base stat total. Considering Arceus has 120 across the board, that already makes it a gamebreaker, and there's several fearsome sets it can run already without needing to resort to the power of Mega Evolution. Besides that, you're also suggesting that you want to restrict the Plates to Arceus only - and unless it becomes available without the need for an in-game event, I doubt that'll ever happen because they have in-game utility outside of Arceus' Multitype.

Yeah, but now the Pokémon that's said to have created at least a planet looks like a joke next to a dragon that controls the wind. It's the principle of the thing, ya' know? :p

I just heard someone talk about the "Ghost Girl" in Lumiose City, correct? Has anyone forgotten about the ghost girl in Black/White/Black 2/White 2? Y'know, the one that appeared in the Abandoned House and Marvelous Bridge? What if the one from X/Y and B/W/B2/W2 are both the same person? Has anyone ever thought about that?

The B/W ghost girl's story is rather wrapped up, though, isn't it? She was killed by a Darkrai, but her spirit wasn't able to rest, so it began haunting the surrounding area until Nate/Rosa found the Lunar Wing. Wouldn't it be kind of boring to find out that the answer to this new mystery ghost girl was just the same as the one that we already saw?

It's about time we had a female villain team leader. Fingers crossed, Gen VII.

Hell yes to that.

On a different note, I think Magearna might have a connection with the Sundial.

The Sundial is still weird to me. By all appearances, it looks like it would be connected to Diancie, who just so happens to be the only Gen VI Pokémon that is capable of Mega Evolution. But the Sundial is also said to date back to 3,000 years ago... what does Diancie have to do with that era? And, if there is a connection, then is it also somehow connected to the ultimate weapon? The weapon isn't pink like the Sundial is, but it is still a huge crystalline structure that we know to be heavily linked to Mega Evolution.

Come to think of it, they never explicitly established any connection between Hoopa and the Mirage Spot rings all throughout Hoenn, either, even though they are very obviously related. What's with them and this new "strictly implicit" approach, anyway?

There are a couple of theories passed around in X/Y about it. Anistar City's description on the map says that it is thought by some to have come from space. (Is Deoxys in on this one, too? It seems interesting to me that we now know of Mega Stones and Key Stones that originate from space as well.) One person suggests it could have been created with the power of a Legendary Pokémon. However, the games are usually pretty consistent when it comes to terminology, and if it *is* connected to Diancie/Deoxys/Magearna, then I find it somewhat odd that they wouldn't use the term "Mythical Pokémon," like they did for the Lumiose Press editor when alluding to their search for Volcanion.

I don't see a similarity between the Sundial and Magearna, personally.

But Xerneas and Yveltal are already mascots of X and Y. Mega Z would make sense or Z1/Z2 considering that Zygarde does not represent X or Y. I rather see a game who has a title that suits the pokemon or a title that doesn't related to Xerneas and Yveltal again.

Actually, I think that would be rather clever. I don't think Complete Zygarde would really work as a version mascot for a "Pokémon Z," for the obvious reason that it looks nothing like a Z. I think all of the Zs we have going around are big red herrings no matter what the next games turn out to be. But "Mega X and "Mega Y," with Mega Xerneas and Mega Yveltal on the covers, would make a lot of sense. They would, presumably, actually match the titles in their aesthetics, and they would be cool, new, relevant cover mascots that haven't already been paraded around in the wider media for months beforehand.

Zygarde could and probably would still be involved in the plot, of course. But perhaps the plot trajectory would instead move you toward obtaining a Xerneas/Yveltal and Mega-Evolving them in order to defeat Complete Zygarde (remember that it is said to be stronger than base Xerneas/Yveltal), and then you could encounter it in it's 50% Forme in the post-game and access its other forms from then-on. So basically just like Kyurem in B2/W2.

This just makes me want access to the Apricorn Balls even more. :(

You could be right about this. There's tons of instances in REAL history where similar forms of technology were found to exist around the world without the individual civilizations even knowing about each other. I mean look at the different types of pyramids found all over the world or the way people instinctively started to use irrigation. Sometimes ideas come to many people at the same time without anyone realizing it.

So we've covered the multiverse; is Pokémon going to start cracking into morphic field theory now, too!? :p

Actually, I think that would be rather clever. I don't think Complete Zygarde would really work as a version mascot for a "Pokémon Z," for the obvious reason that it looks nothing like a Z. I think all of the Zs we have going around are big red herrings no matter what the next games turn out to be. But "Mega X and "Mega Y," with Mega Xerneas and Mega Yveltal on the covers, would make a lot of sense. They would, presumably, actually match the titles in their aesthetics, and they would be cool, new, relevant cover mascots that haven't already been paraded around in the wider media for months beforehand.

Zygarde could and probably would still be involved in the plot, of course. But perhaps the plot trajectory would instead move you toward obtaining a Xerneas/Yveltal and Mega-Evolving them in order to defeat Complete Zygarde (remember that it is said to be stronger than base Xerneas/Yveltal), and then you could encounter it in it's 50% Forme in the post-game and access its other forms from then-on. So basically just like Kyurem in B2/W2.
:p

I rather they didn't focus on Xerneas and Yveltal. They have enough of focus. Zygarde makes more sense and logical. However, I would be open to the idea but I think Zygarde deserves the attention and be mascot of whatever game comes our way.

Yeah, but now the Pokémon that's said to have created at least a planet looks like a joke next to a dragon that controls the wind. It's the principle of the thing, ya' know? :p
It's still no joke even next to Rayquaza, Fairy-type Arceus can still wreck that thing anyhow lol

Come to think of it, they never explicitly established any connection between Hoopa and the Mirage Spot rings all throughout Hoenn, either, even though they are very obviously related. What's with them and this new "strictly implicit" approach, anyway?
I don't think that's a relatively new thing for Mythical Pokémon that aren't supposed to be known by the players. Arceus was never mentioned in-name until you had one for the required events in HGSS, last I check for an example, and aside from Mew in the Kanto games I don't remember any other Mythical being mentioned outside of the events that involve them. It's very likely that their mark can just be left as a hint to those who know about their existence, but nobody in-universe knows because they've never seen them before.

Though I do want to know about one thing. What does that picture of Jirachi in Team Aqua's AS hideout say when you look at it?

@Endolise
The Sundial is still weird to me. By all appearances, it looks like it would be connected to Diancie, who just so happens to be the only Gen VI Pokémon that is capable of Mega Evolution. But the Sundial is also said to date back to 3,000 years ago... what does Diancie have to do with that era? And, if there is a connection, then is it also somehow connected to the ultimate weapon? The weapon isn't pink like the Sundial is, but it is still a huge crystalline structure that we know to be heavily linked to Mega Evolution.

There are a couple of theories passed around in X/Y about it. Anistar City's description on the map says that it is thought by some to have come from space. (Is Deoxys in on this one, too? It seems interesting to me that we now know of Mega Stones and Key Stones that originate from space as well.) One person suggests it could have been created with the power of a Legendary Pokémon. However, the games are usually pretty consistent when it comes to terminology, and if it *is* connected to Diancie/Deoxys/Magearna, then I find it somewhat odd that they wouldn't use the term "Mythical Pokémon," like they did for the Lumiose Press editor when alluding to their search for Volcanion.

I don't see a similarity between the Sundial and Magearna, personally.
Perhaps the connection is simply incidental. Perhaps Carbink's crystals and the crystals of the Anistar Sundial are made of similar materials, and the event 3,000 years prior was what resulted in both the pink crystal for the Anistar sundial and the original Carbink mutations that lead to Diancie.

I rather they didn't focus on Xerneas and Yveltal. They have enough of focus.

I have to disagree. They only got about as much focus as Lugia/Ho-Oh did in Gold/Silver, which is to say, not much at all. I think there would be room to expand on all of them simultaneously (as I would expect would happen in this scenario anyway, since Zygarde's in-game lore would most likely explain its relation to them).

I don't think that's a relatively new thing for Mythical Pokémon that aren't supposed to be known by the players. Arceus was never mentioned in-name until you had one for the required events in HGSS, last I check for an example, and aside from Mew in the Kanto games I don't remember any other Mythical being mentioned outside of the events that involve them. It's very likely that their mark can just be left as a hint to those who know about their existence, but nobody in-universe knows because they've never seen them before.

Fair points, but I think I mean something kind of different. Yes, we had virtually no in-game mention of Mew, Jirachi, or Deoxys in their introductory games. Celebi was an oddity, but it was in-line with the standard that the Gen IV and Gen V games would employ for their Mythical Pokémon, which was, you download the event, and then you go to a location that was previously only hinted at as being special, and then you get the infodump on their lore and maybe a cool item. But now, with Hoopa and the floating rings and Hoenn, and perhaps with Diancie and the Anistar Sundial (if indeed they are related), the "special locations" that you would *expect* them to correlate to end up having no explicit in-game relation to them at all. Hoopa, in X/Y, is instead linked to the Parfum Palace library of all places, and in OR/AS, all it does is activate a Poké Mart clerk who tells you a spooky story. Nobody ever explains that the rings come from Hoopa. Which I find odd because Hoopa *does get* an event infodump in either game, but neither one mentions the floating rings.

It kind of reminds of of how for a while, everybody expected Diancie, Hoopa, and Volcanion to have some pertinence to the basement of Reflection Cave (would certainly make sense, considering that is where Carbink are found), the Chamber of Emptiness (which contains two items related to Ghost types but is otherwise a waste of space akin to the original Scorched Slab, except without the cool allusion to Japanese mythology), and the Power Plant buildings (energy generation and all that). And all of those seemed like logical "special locations" for the trigger-able events to occur. But instead it's any Pokémon Center for Diancie, the Parfum Palace for Hoopa, and the Lumiose Press for Volcanion.

So what I'm getting at is, they actually *do* have the usual "special locations," but they also connect to some other aspect of them game in a seemingly much more significant way, but those connections go unremarked upon in favor of the, frankly, very odd selection of "special locations."

Though I do want to know about one thing. What does that picture of Jirachi in Team Aqua's AS hideout say when you look at it?

It doesn't say anything about Jirachi specifically. It's just hinted at as being a picture of a young Archie and Shelly with a Jirachi. Although Archie does later allude to it once Kyogre's powers go out of control, saying that all he wanted was to create a world where Pokémon could be happy, and then mutters, "where... that... Pokémon..."

Perhaps the connection is simply incidental. Perhaps Carbink's crystals and the crystals of the Anistar Sundial are made of similar materials, and the event 3,000 years prior was what resulted in both the pink crystal for the Anistar sundial and the original Carbink mutations that lead to Diancie.

Ahhh, now there's an interesting idea. I hadn't considered that - whatever made the Sundial is what introduced the mutation into the Carbink species, that's what you mean, right? That makes a lot of sense, though it also makes me wonder even more about the event that resulted in the Sundial.

Nobody ever explains that the rings come from Hoopa.
I feel like that was done to tie in with the movie, and also partially as an excuse to give us the Legendaries (obviously). While I'm not trying to vouch for the significance of the rings in relation to Hoopa (though the connection is super-obvious), Hyperspace Fury pretty much shares the same ring model as the battle animations from a legendary Mirage Spot. Of course, unless you were to get the appropriate Hoopa Unbound, you wouldn't know that without watching someone else who had it or watching the movie.
So what I'm getting at is, they actually *do* have the usual "special locations," but they also connect to some other aspect of them game in a seemingly much more significant way, but those connections go unremarked upon in favor of the, frankly, very odd selection of "special locations."
They're not really special locations more than they are just dialogue triggers (obviously with items included for some of them), and though it's nothing to do with the significance of them in the story, I'm happy with it being this way because I'd end up feeling less bad about the idea of resetting my game. At least I won't have an event-exclusive location that I can never go to again... Looking at you, Birth Island.

NintenGen: 3DS 2016 Line up Leaked & Much More!
Before anyone decides to call it fake and disregard the rumor completely, their source is verified by the Neogaf mods. That means, to post a leak or rumor, you need to make sure 100%that your source is legit, for them to get into and prove they work for so and so, or else the rumor poster faces a permanent ban. Basically, it does indeed come from Nintendo of America's marketing team, so without further adieu, ladies and gentlemen, the more then likely name of the game this year:

Pokemon Rainbow. Like reffering to the colors on Zygarde Complete 's chest, and not named after a letter. Likely because its the game for the 20th anniversary.

NintenGen: 3DS 2016 Line up Leaked & Much More!
Before anyone decides to call it fake and disregard the rumor completely, their source is verified by the Neogaf mods. That means, to post a leak or rumor, you need to make sure 100%that your source is legit, for them to get into and prove they work for so and so, or else the rumor poster faces a permanent ban. Basically, it does indeed come from Nintendo of America's marketing team, so without further adieu, ladies and gentlemen, the more then likely name of the game this year:

Pokemon Rainbow. Like reffering to the colors on Zygarde Complete 's chest, and not named after a letter. Likely because its the game for the 20th anniversary.
They called it "Pokemon Anniversary Game" so its name is closer to the naming convention for something like Yellow Version which is officially called "Pokemon Yellow Version: Special Pikachu Edition".

Calling it rainbow is obvious given Pokemon's original colour trend and this being the 20th anniversary. I wouldn't draw too much inference on Zygarde based on that.

This is what a rainbow looks like. Complete Forme's chest only has five colors, one of them being white. Not to mention that it is predominantly green.

Fair Enough. I wonder though what the hell a rainbow could be about, what region it covers, and how the game would fall into the canon. Meanwhile, both kalos and Kanto have strong cases, more sl then other regions:

Kalos-Mega evolution Sigil, Zygarde's chest piece
Kanto-Obviously color named games, each city has a color based name.

If not Kalos, perhaps a Kanto game? Or maybe we really ARE seeing the Kanto/Kalos dream happen.
Edit: I know what a rainbow is, jeez. I just think it looks reminiscent of a Rainbow.

Edit: Niji could also be a placeholder, Pokemon Name, ie Pokemon"Version name here". So we could have jackshit for all we know.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm more inclined to believe this than random rumours posted on 4chan at any rate. NeoGAF take fake rumours very seriously and perma-ban people for it, there's no reason for the guy to risk his account unless he's absolutely certain it's real.

A special 20th anniversary game would make sense, since I still feel pretty strongly that whatever game we get next won't have Zygarde on the cover, whether people disagree with me or not, just because of how they have been going about it. And if it is a special game for the 20th, then I think an announcement on the 20th anniversary itself is a likely outcome since it's tied to the anniversary by its concept.

Also consider why a fake rumour at this point would suggest anything other than a Z/X2Y2/whatever route, considering that's more likely to be believed in this instance as that's what more people want and believe is coming.

But Rainbow is interesting if it's true. I'm not good at speculating without things to work with so what the game could involve I don't know right now, I'll get back to you all :p If it is a real leak, then I'm pretty sure Rainbow will have some new Pokemon though.

Edit: I should note I'm not saying it's real and people should throw themselves under the bus and believe it 100%. It still has a chance to be fake. But it's more believable than usual due to the nature of how NeoGAF work.

Last edited:
The best part is that 4chan thinks that I'm some sort of higher up in bulbapedia because I posted the link with a disclaimer so that we can have a civil discussion without everyone screaming lol fake every two seconds, and they think its even more proof that its real. Me, my posts. I'm laughing.

Edit: Seribii is completely down, no site and no forums. Hmmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom