• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Pokemon Switch Version

What do you think this game or these games will be?

• Total voters
I'm still with 2018 being a gap year, honestly.
It's been always like this. Game Freak always jumps in a new console 2 years prior its release.

I stated that multiple times. I perfectly understand that a 2018 release may not happen. But the fact that they're hoping for 2018 already sends a signal that they likely aren't working on a new generation--if they were, 2018 would be too outlandish to even hope for. Does that phrasing make more sense?

That does make more sense, but at the same time, I still think that a new generation would make the most sense for the first Pokemon Switch titles. As cool as Kanto sequels sound, it does sound more like somethings fans would want more than something Game Freak would do. Not to mention it would make sense to have a new region with new Pokemon for the Switch to get people excited for it. It would guarantee more Switch sales too more so than a sequel or remake would.

DoctorWhy said:
Fair enough, though ORAS was developed in about 2 years if that's anything to go by. If they are using an increased staff to speed up production, and reuse some assets from USUM, the time frame makes perfect sense. If remake/sequel-type games take about 2 years to develop, it perfectly explains their suggested release window. They would hope for Q4 2018, intending to go a little faster than before, and Q1/Q2 2019 would fit more in line with past remake-type game development cycles.

It would probably be less difficult to do a remake or sequel since they wouldn't have as much new content as a new generation would, but I'm not sure if they could pull it off, especially if development did start just this year. Since the release window is vague, I haven't really put that much weight into their hopes for a 2018 release.

I'm still with 2018 being a gap year, honestly.
It's been always like this. Game Freak always jumps in a new console 2 years prior its release.
Just because it has always been like this, doesn't mean that it'll forever stay like this. They can always break it any time.

I only gave data about doubfull events.

You gave facts that were not even remotely related to what was being discussed. What happened is that I mentioned the unlikeliness of DP remakes happening before Gen VIII, and you responded with random nonsense unrelated to what I actually said.

Just because it has always been like this, doesn't mean that it'll forever stay like this. They can always break it any time.

I understand the reasoning behind that.
But there are a lot of things to consider when switching generations — not only games.
Anime, manga, merchandising, TCG.

Everything has to be in the right time. While it's possible for next generation to kick on next year, wouldn't 7th generation be just.... too short?

I know people are thirsty for a Switch game (me too) but.

Last edited:
Because gen 8 is gonna be on switch, I have been thinking. What if Co Op becomes a major part of the games? Not absolutely necessary to complete them or anything, just a new wsy to enjoy them. The way I see it, Gamefreak never really has expanded the controls beyond the GBA era, so using one joycon for each player is very feasible I believe, and could breathe some fresh air into the series. Beyond co op, even when its sigle player, you would be traveling with one of the major characters, but not at the detriment of co op losing major story elements. This also wound add focusing in the main game to double battles, and possibly be a huge selling point for the move to switch. I also have no other idea as to how else they can focus in that aspect of the switch, which besides the portable/home nature, is ira main gimmick.

I doubt that there will be any co-op at all. At least not for their first Switch game.

I doubt that there will be any co-op at all. At least not for their first Switch game.
I agree. They first have to try an attempt at the Switch, see what went wrong and what went right and build on that platform. Keep it simple should be their motto.

I know Co-op won't make it on it's first Pokemon game on Switch, but how will Co-op work on pokemon, also since Switch is a console, how will online multiplayer works?

I don't think they'll do anything major with co-op yet, but they might experiment with co-op a bit. Maybe with some mini games, or in Multi Battles online (say, a second player who doesn't have their own game can use three of Player 1's Pokemon and team up with them), but probably not more than that. I do think that eventually we can see more, maybe they could somehow implement co-op into the main adventure to create a sort of anime dynamic with your friends, but that's probably far away.

I don't think they'll do anything major with co-op yet, but they might experiment with co-op a bit. Maybe with some mini games, or in Multi Battles online (say, a second player who doesn't have their own game can use three of Player 1's Pokemon and team up with them), but probably not more than that. I do think that eventually we can see more, maybe they could somehow implement co-op into the main adventure to create a sort of anime dynamic with your friends, but that's probably far away.
Why not use co-op for Gym Double Battles if these do make a comeback?

Not sure they'd do gym battles because they're part of the core adventure. At best, maybe a special facility, but probably not for any core trainer or gym battles.
They could just implement it for all the battle facilities where Double Battles are present. But this sounds like Tag or Multi Battles to a degree.

In regards to Co-Op, I can imagine them taking the concept of multi battles further, and have perhaps a full stadium like feature while battling alongside friends. I don't imagine a full Co-Op to be implemented throughout the entire game anytime soon though.

You know a couple of years ago I wouldn't expect a new generation so soon but gamefreak has been getting more unpredictable as of late. I honestly could see them trying to pump out a new gen next year not saying it's likely and I wouldn't mind waiting but hey you never know.

The one thing that's been lingering in my mind is how the GI guys said that they left feeling that the game was a red and blue follow-up of some kind.
The elephant in the room here is that this would create something of a broken base for obvious reasons. That said I do have some ideas if that were to happen...

Back
Top Bottom