• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The pokemon world language

Obviously they speak a mixture of Elvish and low Dutch.

But seriously, there are several indications in the games (Fantina, a guy in Veilstone, and at least one more somewhere) that it's not a universal thing. Probably varies by region, but a lot of people are bilingual to eliminate language barriers.

(Hey, my other snarky response was gonna be "A real Trainer speaks through battle!")

Considering the game makes references to REAL WORLD China and America, then I'm going to assume that they speak real world Japanese on the islands of Hoenn, Sinnoh and Kanto & Johto.

People can speak in many languages depending on localization. Pokemon speak Pokemonese. :D

It occurs to me that, in the original Japanese versions of the games, most "foreign" characters (such as Fantina and that Rocket grunt) speak broken English, while most everyone else speaks a dialect of Japanese. Indeed, the folks in Johto mostly use the Kansai dialect, as I understand it.

In the English versions, the grunt retains his broken English, but Fantina was changed to French for some inexplicable reason. In the case of Bill (who apparently spoke the Kansai dialect in the originals), the manga presented him with a heavy Southern American accent, while the anime gave him a British accent.

It is also worth noting that the games make explicit references to the United States, South America, China and Asia in general. As well, the anime has not only made references to real-world locations, but has also visited them on occasion (though, admittedly, the anime's interpretation of Hollywood, California was vastly different from the real thing, as I understand it).

I'm going to assume, therefore, that the Pokémon world is intended to exist on some unexplored corner of our very own planet Earth. With that being said, it's likely they speak a real language (most likely Japanese) as opposed to a made-up one.

For the record, I am not including the Global Terminal's Geonet as it is less of a story element and more of a multiplayer gameplay element.

Well, the games reference countries that correspond with those in our world (The Lightning American, Mew was found in South America, etc) and the regions of the games are based on regions of Japan. So I would assume they speak the same languages as us and therefore the characters in the games/ TV shows/ etc, who are all in Japan, speak Japanese.

However, I'd also look to the Unowns. They are based on roman characters, so I'd be inclined to believe the majority if Pokémon world's languages are based on Latin.

They speak in the country the region's in official's language.

As evidenced by that guy in platinum, there are other lands with other languages.

Those languages may or may not be our ones, though the Unown shapes (and possibly braille... does it use the latin alphabet everywhere?) point to a latin-derived being spoken somewhere, and possibly having been spoken in the regions the series take in long ago.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom