• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Simple Question / Simple (or not so) Answer thread Mark II

Who did you pick?

• Dialga

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Palkia

• Giratina

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's probably a Shaymin someone hacked the Oak's Letter event for in Diamond or Pearl. Shaymin needs to have the Fateful Encounter flag in order to transform, according to Bulbapedia; and the Flower Paradise Shaymin from D/P isn't a Fateful Encounter.

i think it only needs the flag to originally obtain the flower - pretty sure it works on all shaymin once you have activated the flower

but yeah it has to be daytime (sleep tight - lol, anticipation!)

i think it only needs the flag to originally obtain the flower - pretty sure it works on all shaymin once you have activated the flower

That's what I've always thought, too; but I looked at Bulbapedia after reading this question and in the Trivia section on Shaymin's page (fourth main bullet point from the bottom) it says it needs to be a fateful encounter even to transform. No idea why, nor do I actually know myself as I don't have a hacked D/P Shaymin to try it with. Could just be a 'pedia error, of course.

Hm. I couldn't find the info anywhere on the web, SOOOO:

What is the moveset of the Steelix that you receive from the trade with Jasmine?

Hm. I couldn't find the info anywhere on the web, SOOOO:

What is the moveset of the Steelix that you receive from the trade with Jasmine?

You probably couldn't find the moveset because I'm pretty sure it's based off of what level you receive it. This pretty much applies for all in-game traded Pokemon, if I recall correctly.

If a pokemon with say, 120 hp uses substitute, it will make a sub with 30 hp, right? And if that sub is baton passed, the initial hp stays the same, right? Also, does substitute block the user from Outrage-induced confusion? Or the stat-lowering of moves like Overheat/Close Combat?

Last edited:
That's what I've always thought, too; but I looked at Bulbapedia after reading this question and in the Trivia section on Shaymin's page (fourth main bullet point from the bottom) it says it needs to be a fateful encounter even to transform. No idea why, nor do I actually know myself as I don't have a hacked D/P Shaymin to try it with. Could just be a 'pedia error, of course.

i got 2 event ones (1 from the "GAME" store giveaway & the wifi 1) & i'm not sure that the "GAME" one is a "fateful encounter" pokemon...

i shall be checking at lunch! (if it's still on my platinum cart - may be on SS...)

***EDIT***
checked & they're both "fateful encounter" pokemon after all - well i'll be fudged! seems as though the fateful encounter flag must decide form changes - but as the 2 traded shaymin i got are both "fateful encounter" as well that means all 4 of mine change form - i can't check with a non fateful encounter one yet

(tl;dr version: bulbapedia looks correct so far)

Last edited:
Re: SoulSilver Error Message!

You do know that, if you spam-cheat your game/DS, the game will become more glitchy everytime you use a cheat? Like, for example, if I use my Action Replay, and everytime I play SoulSilver, having the Walk Through Walls cheat always on during gameplay.. that would totally crash the game if I actually use the cheat to much..

I guess.

Never happened to me like that.

Oh Well.

Re: SoulSilver Error Message!

simple. questions. thread.

Technical question: I just got a used copy of Gold that doesn't save. I figure all I have to do is change the internal battery. I've never done it before, though - what's the procedure?

You need some soldering equipment. From what I remember, you unscrew the back, remove the electrical tape from the battery, and solder in the new battery. I've done it, but my dad helped me...and I would recommend saving all your Pokemon in it to Stadium 2 so you don't lose them.

If a pokemon with say, 120 hp uses substitute, it will make a sub with 30 hp, right? And if that sub is baton passed, the initial hp stays the same, right? Also, does substitute block the user from Outrage-induced confusion? Or the stat-lowering of moves like Overheat/Close Combat?
Yes, the Sub will have 1/4 of the original HP so 30 HP is correct. The Sub getting passed would retain the 30 HP unless it took damage before the Baton Pass. Substitute does not protect the user from self-inflicted conditions, such as the confusion from Outrage or the Sleep from Rest, or self-inflicted stat changes like from Overheat or Close Combat.
Technical question: I just got a used copy of Gold that doesn't save. I figure all I have to do is change the internal battery. I've never done it before, though - what's the procedure?
It's pretty difficult to do. You need to find a way to remove the screw in the back (it's not a regular screw). The top half of the cartridge should now be able to slide out, giving you access to the inside. Then you have to carefully remove the metal tabs on top of and below the battery and replace it, making sure to put the positive and negative ends in the right place. You need to be sure to secure the battery so it will always touch the two metal tabs (you can use solder but I just used tape lol). Then you just put the cartridge back together.

The screw is probably the hardest part. If you have a precision screwdriver (for eyeglasses), you should probably use that to peel off the tabs, as long as you don't do it too forcefully. The installing is probably the easiest part and if you don't care about the cartridge being a little loose, you could leave the screw out or get a proper screw (Phillips or regular) so you can get to the battery easier next time.

You need some soldering equipment. From what I remember, you unscrew the back, remove the electrical tape from the battery, and solder in the new battery. I've done it, but my dad helped me...and I would recommend saving all your Pokemon in it to Stadium 2 so you don't lose them.

I'm starting a new game, so any loss of saved data doesn't matter to me. (And I don't have Stadium 2 anyway...) But soldering equipment seems like it'd be hard to come across, and I don't even know how to solder in the first place. Hmm...

My girlfriend gave me the cartridge, but maybe I should just buy a working one from a seller on Amazon or something.

I'm starting a new game, so any loss of saved data doesn't matter to me. (And I don't have Stadium 2 anyway...) But soldering equipment seems like it'd be hard to come across, and I don't even know how to solder in the first place. Hmm...

My girlfriend gave me the cartridge, but maybe I should just buy a working one from a seller on Amazon or something.

Chances are you're not looking in the right places..

The main problems with the GS games is that they're all 9 years+ and any could fail at any time, unless you know that the item you're getting has it's battery replaced.

How is a wild pokemon's move-set calculated? Is it the last four moves it learns (by level), generated randomly, or something else entirely?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom