• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Storyboarder Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quagbert

Bulbapædist
Reaction score
Since, as some of you are aware, we have an Animation Director Thread, I figured I'd take a shot at getting people aware of the different storyboarders that work on this series by making a storyboarder thread.

My attempt to briefly explain what a [wp]storyboard artist[/wp] does is that he or she basically sketches out an episode scene by scene, showing stuff like camera angles and character poses. These sort of things I've noticed have been incorrectly credited to the animatiors, who are actually in charge of making what's sketched out in storyboards into the actual animation.

And now, here are a few of the storyboard artists currently working on the series:

Masamitsu Hidaka - former general director for the Pokémon anime, and currently DP's most active storyboard artist, having done 36 episodes of the current series. Some of these episodes were done alongside another storyboarder, Tamayo Yamamoto.
Most recent episodes: [bp=DP155]Double Battle! Mammoo and Hinoarashi!![/bp] and [bp=DP166]Liftoff! Nagisa Tower!![/bp] in Japan; [bp=DP146]Dressed for Jess Success![/bp] and [bp=DP147]Bagged Then Tagged![/bp] in the US.

Yūji Asada - does most of Masaaki Iwane's episodes, and has experience dating all the way back to [bp=EP003]Ash Catches a Pokémon[/bp] at the very beginning of the anime.
Most recent episodes: [bp=DP162]Double Battle! VS Prasle & Minun!![/bp] and [bp=DP167]The Beach Pokémon School![/bp] in Japan; [bp=DP142]Where No Togepi Has Gone Before![/bp] in the US.

Hiroyuki Yamada - does most of the episodes animation-directed by Makoto Shinjō and Kunihiko Natsume. This is the guy responsible for all the wacky facial expressions common in episodes by these two animation directors.
Most recent episodes: [bp=DP164]Pochama Goes Astray![/bp] in Japan; [bp=DP151]The Needs of Three![/bp] in the US.
Upcoming episode: [bp=DP170]Kikuno of the Elite Four! Kabarudon VS Dodaitose!![/bp]

Masaru Koyama - experience dates back to the end of AG. Most recent episode in Japan is [bp=DP161]The Curtain Rises! Pokémon Contest - Asatsuki Tournament!![/bp]; in the US, [bp=DP143]An Egg Scramble![/bp]; next episode in Japan will be [bp=DP169]Pokémon Ranger! Heatran Rescue Mission!![/bp]

Shigeru Ueda - the storyboarder for [bp=DP168]next week's episode[/bp] with Mai/Marley and Shaymin. Also did [bp=DP149]Sticking With You Know Who![/bp] and [bp=DP159]Roaring Freezing Punch! Buoysel VS Barrierd!![/bp]

One thing I've noticed is that in the movies and most non-contest-oriented TV episodes since Journey to the Unown!, Hikari/Dawn has been usually seen holding Pochama/Piplup in her arms a la Togepi, with the exceptions generally being any episode storyboarded by Asada or Yamada. In those episodes it's more common to see the little penguin either on her head or shoulder, like Satoshi's/Ash's Pikachu.

Anyway, I'll finish off this initial post by listing the upcoming episodes and who's storyboarding them, even though I've mentioned them above:

DP168 - Shigeru Ueda
DP169 - Masaru Koyama
DP170 - Hiroyuki Yamada
DP171 - Takaomi Kanezaki

One thing I've noticed is that in the movies and most non-contest-oriented TV episodes since Journey to the Unown!, Hikari/Dawn has been usually seen holding Pochama/Piplup in her arms a la Togepi, with the exceptions generally being any episode storyboarded by Asada or Yamada. In those episodes it's more common to see the little penguin either on her head or shoulder, like Satoshi's/Ash's Pikachu.
This right here is probably the most vital thing anyone interested in the topic at hand can pull from what's being talked about. Character quirks, Pokemon poses, flashy acrobatics, and stylistic scenes are all bred-and-birthed from the collective minds of these fellows right here. It might do people good to show a little respect.

I've never seen a "Pokémon" storyboard, and I'd really like to. Production art from this show seems to be rare indeed, but getting a glimpse of what these guys contribute to the process would be very cool. Anyone have any samples?

I've never seen a "Pokémon" storyboard, and I'd really like to. Production art from this show seems to be rare indeed, but getting a glimpse of what these guys contribute to the process would be very cool. Anyone have any samples?

raichu_cel04d.png

So let me see if I get this correctly:

The storyboard artist basically sketches out all the poses, facial expressions, and other things;

And do the Animation Directors just add on from these things, or re-draw it with their animation teams?

Sorry for all these questions, it's just stuff like this really gets me curious. :3

So let me see if I get this correctly:

The storyboard artist basically sketches out all the poses, facial expressions, and other things;

And do the Animation Directors just add on from these things, or re-draw it with their animation teams?

Sorry for all these questions, it's just stuff like this really gets me curious. :3

Yes,in other words,the Storyboarder is the one who translates the scripts to actual scenes(its more like they "plan" the poses,facial expressions and etc,since the sketches used in the final animation will be done by the animators)
The animators then draw these scenes in the actual frames(separeaty),ink them,and colour them.And Yes,they re-draw them from scratch.

Oh,and live action movies require storyboarders too.

Also,on a related note,the backgrounds generally are made by a separate team,same with the layout(putting the animation backgrounds and the other elements together) and the GCI.

Last edited:
First update bump (April '10):

DP172: Yūji Asada
DP173: Hideaki Ōba
DP174: Hitoyuki Matsui
DP175: Takaomi Kanezaki

Last edited:
Boy have I been lax lately. Anyway, here's the update bump for the final 5 episodes of Diamond & Pearl:

DP187: Yūji Asada
DP188: Yūji Asada
DP189: Hiroyuki Yamada
DP190: Hitoyuki Matsui
DP191: Yūji Asada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom