• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Things you want to see done in Pokemon Gen 8 (2019)

Needless to say, EVERYONE is free to dress and act like they want in their own lives. What I am trying to say is that you shouldn't expect to see your ideals represented in Pokémon main series games. Because those ideas are considered "controversial" in most of the world outside of Western Europe and the USA and Canada, and Game Freak needs to appeal to everybody, not just the more liberal Western societies.

The ideas of accepting everyone the way they are are spreading, though (many countries have recently decriminalised homosexuality, including mine in Asia).

It is not unreasonable to ask for something, just like people ask for sprites to come back, or asking for the battle frontier to make a reappearance in spite of it not being compatible with GameFreak’s ideology.

I don’t think people should be told off for asking this in a wishes thread.

It’s not unreasonable to start with baby steps like making all hairstyles and accessories universal regardless of gender since Japanese anime and shows are known for their unconventional hairstyles, and females having short hair and males having long hair is perfectly fine, ditto for accessories.

Anyways, I feel that the source of controversy will be inevitably from the western world itself, but I won’t elaborate due to relevancy.

Everyone asks for their more wanted features to be represented in the games, so why not this one?
Specially when it’s empowering to a group of oppressed people. Baby steps are not unreasonable to ask in 2019, specially when they’re relatively normalised in Japan for hair and accessories. Maybe even throw in kilts.

The ideas of accepting everyone the way they are are spreading, though (many countries have recently decriminalised homosexuality, including mine in Asia).
Decriminalising homosexuality (a very positive thing) is one thing. Allowing little boys to dress like girls, in a kids video game, that's a totally different issue.
It is not unreasonable to ask for something, just like people ask for sprites to come back, or asking for the battle frontier
Except that asking for these things isn't controversial. Sprites and the Battle Frontier don't clash with the moral values of the majority of the world population. Unlike gender relativism.
I don’t think people should be told off for asking this in a wishes thread.
Oh no, I was just expressing my surprise with people who seem to not understand why such things haven't been already allowed in Pokémon games. I am just saying that there is a clear reason why.

You are free to ask for them, though it would be silly to expect such things in a kids videogame.

Last edited:
Looks up at the last page or so of controversy...

Uh.... I would really like to see the ability to travel to all the older regions as DLCs. I know some people are bothered by the idea of DLC, but it seems a moot point since they seem a reality.

Anyway to my wish, it would be like the G/S days. When you when to Kanto it wasnt a whole new game but a simplified version of R/B. I dont want all the whole of each game, just a run through with a few little sides, you know, a DLC.

1) Game Freak is a Japanese company, and most Japanese people are traditionalists. Yes, Japan is also the home of some very new-wave extravagant cultural and fashion movements but Japan remains an overwhelmingly conservative society. And I think it's fairly easy to guess that Game Freak probably share those traditional values. So you have to respect that, even if you personally disagree with them.

Oh you don't need to worry about this. Cross-dressing is a thing in Japan too. I mean:

Kind of ironic considering your point 2 hehe.

Decriminalising homosexuality (a very positive thing) is one thing. Allowing little boys to dress like girls, in a kids video game, that's a totally different issue.

Are you implying that wearing whatever you want isn’t positive?

Homosexuality and cross dressing happen to be fairly similar issues in terms of expression.

Also, you completely ignored the part where I mentioned that universal hair and accessories are perfectly acceptable in Japan and are not unreasonable to begin with.

Are you implying that wearing whatever you want isn’t positive?
I am implying it's not a good thing to have in a kids oriented video game. Where you play as a 11 year old, most of the time. Let's not start brainwashing Pokémon players as young as age 6 with gender politics. That's what I am saying.

However, I think it's fine for grown-ups to wear whatever they choose to.
Also, you completely ignored the part where I mentioned that universal hair and accessories are perfectly acceptable in Japan.
I didn't ignore it. I just don't disagree with you on that issue. That's because I don't have an issue with more extravagant haircuts in Pokémon games. I don't think haircuts would be as controversial as cross-dressing.

Last edited:
Yes, I am. Especially in a kids video game. Where you play as a 11 year old, most of the time.

There isn’t anything inherently non-child in properly covering clothing though?

This debate is probably useless due to our differences in ideology regarding cross-dressing in the first place and what you and I consider socially acceptable. (You compared nudism to crossdressing, one of which is outright public indecency and the other is comparatively widespread preference which has no indecent exposure)z

So I’d prefer not to continue it.

I am implying it's not a good thing to have in a kids oriented video game. Where you play as a 11 year old, most of the time. Let's not start brainwashing Pokémon players as young as age 6 with gender politics. That's what I am saying.
It's no less brainwashing than telling 6 year olds that they can NOT wear a certain piece of clothing because of their gender. That's more so brainwashing, actually.

I also pointed out in my post that other Nintendo properties (which are just as Japanese as Pokémon) let you wear whatever you want. You seemed to ignore that. Animal Crossing is a big example. Even BotW has a plot point wear you dress feminine to be allowed access to a city. Other people have pointed out examples of dressing as the other gender in the Pokémon anime itself. So your "cultural differences" point doesn't really hold up.

Hey this is off-topic but does anyone know if the Nintendo Switch price will go down? Last Thanksgiving-Christmas was U.S. $300. Then it's Wikipedia article said it was that price when it came out, March 2017. So that's 2 Christmases in a row at the same price, I wonder what it will be this November.

@geebraprint

1. Telling little boys that it is normal for them to wear clothes made specifically for little boys, is not brainwashing them. It's telling them the truth about social norms. Once they are 18, they should be able to wear whatever they choose. And to break those "terribly oppressive" social norms.

2. I simply don't care/ don't know enough about other Nintendo game properties. So they don't concern me.
Also, maybe the guys who make Animal Crossing are liberal Japanese people, while GameFreak are conservative Japanese people? Has that possibility crossed your mind? Different people have different moral values. Shocking, I know.

3. Anime is made by different people from the Pokémon main series games.

Last edited:
1. Telling little boys that it is normal for them to wear clothes made specifically for little boys, is not brainwashing them. It's telling them the truth about social norms. Once they are 18, they should be able to wear whatever they choose.

2. I simply don't care about other Nintendo game properties. So they don't concern me.

Also, maybe the guys who make Animal Crossing are liberal Japanese people, while GameFreak are conservative Japanese people? Has that possibility crossed your mind?

People have different moral values. Shocking, I know.
I'm not sure why you're getting defensive/sarcastic. You were the one to blanket-statement Japan about their cultural norms (and morals, now, which I'm not gonna touch). I just pointed out how that isn't true, and gave actual examples from other Japanese properties.

This isn't going anywhere it seems, but I wasn't going to just let a "the Japanese don't do this" argument stand when that's simply not true.

BotW is really not the best example... Again, be careful what you wish for.

Hey this is off-topic but does anyone know if the Nintendo Switch price will go down? Last Thanksgiving-Christmas was U.S. $300. Then it's Wikipedia article said it was that price when it came out, March 2017. So that's 2 Christmases in a row at the same price, I wonder what it will be this November.
No one knows. There are predictions about a cheaper, handheld-only revision.

@geebraprint

But you are missing the point completely. I never said ALL Japanese people are conservatives/have traditional values. I just said "most of Japanese people do". Which is true.

My point was simply that it is not surprising for a Japanese game property to advocate for more traditional/conservative values, and that, to me, it seems Game Freak are like that. Again, maybe the people who make Animal Crossing have different opinions. And therefore Animal Crossing has cross-dressing and Pokémon doesn't.

Last edited:
I'm not even clear that you don't want crossdressing in the game. If you don't care whether it's in the game, why bother to have all these arguments?

If you do care, I suppose you're at least consistent.

On the other hand, you're not providing very good arguments for your opinion if that's the case.

Last edited:
BotW is really not the best example... Again, be careful what you wish for.
Oh gosh. Ew. I admit I haven't played the game myself, and just knew about that plot point/saw pictures. That article really shows how disappointing Nintendo (and Japan) can be. (Not that it's only Japan, of course. I'm an American, look what the leadership of my country is like right now).

@Meta Boss I agree it's unlikely to have my male character get the option of wearing anything feminine in these new games, due to how historically traditional Gamefreak have been when it comes to changing/updating literally anything in their games. And I also agree that many in Japan are extremely conservative. Your posts just seemed like "this will 100% not happen because Japan", while there is a chance it could happen due to things like Animal Crossing. That's all I really wanted to point out, because I would love to see Gamefreak let the player be that free with their customization.

yJ1Zp0j.jpg

Well, I guess Pokemon, on the other hand, is still stuck in 1013.

I really don't take kindly to this notion that being LGBT is in any way inappropriate for children. I don't take kindly to it at all. I will leave it at that and just say that there are children who are LGBT and they should not have every aspect of them labeled as inappropriate.

Last edited:
I am not going to answer you guys separately, so this post goes to all 3 of you.

I think that things like sex, sexuality, gender identity, gender relativism, gender identity politics or cross-dressing, should not be included in a game aimed at kids. I think all those subjects are way more mature than you realize.

I don't have an issue with these subjects being part of a 16+ or 18+ rated video games. But not in Pokémon.

All I am trying to say is that the guys working at Game Freak have the right to disagree with liberal ideals like gender relativity, just like you guys are free to disagree with Game Freak's more conservative view.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom