• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trailers and News Discussion

Ok now that Ive digested all this I ultimately have to say that while this is very different, Im beyond thrilled to see they're finally trying some different things after 20 years like modifying the gym quest and the Alolan forms and removing HMs. The formula has gotten a bit stale, I mean its been 20 years. I have to say I love all this. I think this game is gonna be very exciting.

If there arent new megas, I wont care that much, but admittedly I wanted a few.

My fav new Pokemon are the mantises. Very nice. Im also laughing at how Gumshoos looks like Donald Trump sort of but cringing at the same time

This is a lot to digest but wow. Im pretty happy by what I see here.

Gosh that trailer was massive nad crazy and even if I wasn't too fond of some of the stuff in it, I am still so hyped for these games.

New Pokemon
Oricoro has a really neat concept. And I like most of the designs for it too. I don't know if I'll end up using one, but I'll make sure to catch all the forms.
Minior - I really think this is a fossil Pokemon of this gen, and hope we do get another with it as well. It's interesting, but it's design is kinda meh
Gunshoos - I honestly think GameFreak made this Pokemon to look like Trump. Yungoos looked like him yes, but this guy is lierally the epitome of Trump. I will gladly kill every Gunshoos I see now.
Formantis and Lunantis - Oh my gash it's a Pray Mantis Pokemon and I love it! There are so many Pokemon in these games that I am absolutely loving and I really am going to have to run through the game like 3 times to use all my faves.
Mudbray - It's so adorable I love it and I want one! I am definitly using a Mudsdale. He's just so sick and this little guy is so cute.

Island Trials
I am kind of mixed over these. While I don't want them to replace gyms entirely, the concept is still kind of neat. Before in the games you had to beat the gym before you could go further in the game, but these trials actually give reason. It's a right of passage to defeat the trial so you can ascend to the next one. It's a cool concept, but like I said I still wish we could have gyms as well. I also think this might be, seeing how massive these games are gonna be. Also Kiawe is hawt.

Z-Moves
I am glad this is only once a battle sort of thing, it really feels overpowered. Maybe they'll have it nerfed even more so maybe you could only actually use it in battles against trainers, and maybe it could have only a certain amount of PP, which you have to wait for tyme to restore, instead of whenever you heal your Pokemon at the Pokemon Center. Just think that would be a good way to sort of balance them out, because if they re really gonna be that powerful, they need to have some sort of nerfing.

Riding Pokemon
Again a really cool thing that we have seen a bit in older games. I do think these might be a way to replace some of the HMs though. While I don't see things like Cut and Strength being replaced quite yet (which sucks because their both terrible). It looks like Fly, Rock Smash, and Surf might be. All I know is I can't wait to mount my Mudsdale and race across the land with him.

Alola Forms of Older Pokemon
I was quite surprised by this one. I woke up this morning and I opened up youtube on my phone to look at the new trailer. I hadn't put on my glasses yet though so it was mostly blurry. The first thing that came up in my feed was the Japanese trailer. I saw like whitish/blue pokemon and I brought the phone closer to my eyes and saw something that looked vaguely like Vulpix and Sandshrew, that was one when I put my glasses on to see these guys.
It's also rather astonishing to see that Sandshrew and Vulpix became ice/types, when it felt like Fire and Ground are very prominent in this gen, because of the enviornment, I'm not upset bout it though. These must be exclusive to that small patch of ice on one of the islands, either that or you receive either one of them as a gift. I love the little Ice Sandshrew design. he's a little Ice Cube, and Ice Vulpix and Ninetails look freaking majestic. That color just fits them so perfectly.
Long Necked Exxecutor - yes, just yes, that's all I have to say.

Last edited:
tumblr_ob8r2xNSTr1u2tgkyo1_540.png
I noticed a TM behind the Totem Gumshoos. Perhaps Totem Pokémon always have a TM in their area as a reward. To replace gyms giving them out.

I wonder if the removal of the gyms will be only for Alola. I really hope not. A change-up was desperately needed and this is a great way to do it. :)

Ehh... How can I say this properly?

I'm just gonna go on record and say that this was a complete dud for me. None of the new Pokémon caught my eye, I'm not sure what I think of those rebranded gyms, and I could do without these Alola Forms if it turns out that they're only going to serve as incentive for trading with Gen I VC to get the standard forms. I personally prefer Ninetales as a Fire type.
An inferior Alola Gengar would be just the thing that prompts me to remain with ORAS and Gen VI for the duration.

The concept of Alolan variants is such an amazing idea! Honestly, they should have done it sooner to make old Pokemon stay fresh with new typings and moves. I look forward to the new designs, aaaaaaa, they just look so good, and their art is actually more detailed than the new Pokemon's art? I don't know if it's just a different artist or laziness but I like the detail.

Exeggutor - The idea is so ridiculous but it works! It could have been a new evolution, or even... a Mega Evolution but it works! That Dragon typing though, just why? I guess its height brings in the fear that Dragons can bring, LOL. That plant on its tail is cute!

Vulpix and Ninetales,- aAAAAAaaaa their designs are so good! Ninetales in particular is gorgeous it looks like it could pass off for a legendary like Zoroark and Lucario! Vulpix is so cute too, the white colour looks really good on it and the smaller stature makes it even more adorable! The typing is pretty sweet too! The amount of detail in lightning and shading on Ninetales is amazing, it really shows that the artist went all out on detailing it, which makes a jarring contrast to how the new Pokemon get bland art despite having cool and good designs. It has such a cool typing with Ice/Fairy, if there are no cool Unova Pokemon variants then I'm definitely getting it. Makes sense to have at least one variant around.

Sandshrew and Sandslash - I honestly don't care about Sandslash but SandSHREW IS SO ADORABLE and his adorable new variant is even cuter with that igloo shape on its head! I did read about complaints about how it makes it more cartoony, but honestly, it's just being more creative, which is not a bad idea and I love how there's little details like that to make it more fictitious and fun! Sandslash is ehh... okay...

Oricorio - A really good idea for one Pokemon! I like how they can jam so many designs in one Pokemon and I love how its type is different depending on the island you get it. The designs for it are really good and capture the dance styles well, even the ability is cool, albeit very circumstantial and could be pretty useless. Not a Pokemon I'd immensely love or anything, but it does the job and well! It's in so many different nice colours!

Minior - Honestly the first thing that came to mind was Solrock and Lunatone, it would have fit so well with them in Hoenn if it didn't have its ability! The ability does help show a cuter side to it and it seems like it would be a cool Pokemon to use. The Flying-type is pretty weird, it just levitates like most Pokemon. Personally I'd have just kept it a Rock-type.

Gumshoos - hERE COME THE GUMSHOE AND DONALD TRUMP mEMES. Ehh, the evolution went just as I expected to go, bar the heavier influence on Donald Trump... I honestly doubt that it wasn't intentional. The usual "cute rodent becomes big ugly rodent" we've been having for this past 3/4 gens but it's still cool I guess. Some comedy talk show in America HAS to point it out, seriously. There was already that hilarious video with Yungoos being compared to Trump, now the it should shoot even higher. it's kind of a shame though because Yungoos is actually adorable

Fomantis and Lurantis - Really pretty Grass-Types! I wonder if Lurantis will evolve again but I doubt it considering that it acts as a Totem Pokemon... but who knows? A flower mantis is a nice idea and the designs are good and appealing, I could see Lurantis being a popular Pokemon but she is no Lilligant... That Solar Blade though... woah...

Mudbray - I've honestly grown to like Mudsdale even more over this past week or so, but its pre-evolution is kind of disappointing in the eyes department. I was expecting Mudsdale's eyes but younger and happier... but other than that, it still looks pretty cute and adorable! Ahhhhh all Pokemon are adorable and cute...

RIDING SOUNDS SO COOL! I'm really glad they're finally going to probably make most Pokemon ride-able, it's just so expected for such a high budget series and seeing all the animations is cool. It makes up for no Pokemon following you, almost, but here's to hoping that the next game in Gen 7 brings that over. I'm guessing that now with the NX being apparently a hybrid we're going to have a lot of Gen 7 based games on it before the main series moves on it, huh.

NO MORE GYMS... but instead... RESKINNED GYMS! fUCKING FIIIIINAAAAALLLY aAAAAAA.... Even though it will play out the same, it's still something different in a way to keep the series fresh. I've been so invested into Fire Emblem these past months I kind of left Pokemon as an aside, but all this stuff reminds me why I love the franchise and continue to support it! Mallow, Lana, Sophocles and Kiawe all look like cool characters and they seem to have a personality and a chance to be developed. Maybe they will all have a little plot point in the island that could range from cute to serious.

Totem Pokemon are also a GREAT idea! Just stronger versions of Pokemon that have a higher stat and increase in one of its stats that can bring in more Pokemon to fight your Pokemon, brilliant! If handled well this could create for some really tense moments and act as a really glorified wild Pokemon battle. Damn, these new kids have it good with so many good features and Pokemon. It even uses a remixed theme of the wild Pokemon Battle theme!

Z-MOVES SOUND AWESOME! Overpowered... but awesome! And with them being used only once per battle they seem balanced. I don't think I'd abuse them though, probably try them off and only use them when I really need them. They take an item slot too, and I'm guessing they're alternatives for Pokemon who can't Mega Evolve to try to be up to par. Oh boy... I guess this means Mega Rayquaza will be more ridiculous than it already is, huh...

With Mallow being confirmed, then it confirms that this leak was real too: (spoilers for final evolution of litten)

http://i.imgur.com/OSW4O1q.jpg

Have you noticed her down the image near Ash? Yeah, this leak has to be legit, and I'm kind of disappointed, but I actually grew to really like Litten's final form. Litten was a starter I was okay with but I just find its final evolution just badass now. Those who like Popplio's final evolution can enjoy it and I'll probably grow to like it a lot, its shiny form has to be really pretty too. I didn't care that much about Rowlet and... still don't upon seeing its final evolution, which is cool! Just not something I'd pick as a starter.

I wonder what this will mean for the anime then. Ash made it to the top 2 in the league and is going to face Alain, will he beat Alain and get a chance to fight the E4, or just lose, deal with Team Flare and then go to Aloha?

With all this new news I'm really hyped for Sun and Moon! I was pretty cautious about it but damn does it have so many new ideas to add to the formula, really, all it needs is just good music and a good plot! Lillie is said to be interesting so I wonder what she'll be up to doing...

in the Japanese trailer you can see Mallow in a smaller city and by what is likely the ranch visible on the second island. guess that island is probably Akala Island. the Lush Jungle is probably the area to the south of that first city on Akala.

Ehh... How can I say this properly?

I'm just gonna go on record and say that this was a complete dud for me. None of the new Pokémon caught my eye, I'm not sure what I think of those rebranded gyms, and I could do without these Alola Forms if it turns out that they're only going to serve as incentive for trading with Gen I VC to get the standard forms. I personally prefer Ninetales as a Fire type.
An inferior Alola Gengar would be just the thing that prompts me to remain with ORAS and Gen VI for the duration.
I doubt they'd cut out Mega Evolution completely; it might just not be the big attraction for this generation. Game Freak made too big of a deal of Mega Evolution in Gen. VI just to suddenly drop the feature altogether. The worst case scenario I can see is that we don't get any new Megas in Sun and Moon. You'll probably still get to use the existing ones. Otherwise, Game Freak messed up Kalos' story to focus on Mega Evolution for no reason, rendering Gen. VI a complete filler generation.

O M L

THE AMOUNT OF NEWS WE ARE GETTING IS INSANE~ I MAY HAVE TO GIVE MY THOUGHTS SEPARATELY SO FIRST, I'LL JUST START ON THE NEW POKEMON~

Formantis and Luratis are adorable~ I love both designs!!~ And Sakuraa brought up to me that this and Bounsweet might be version exclusives, with these two in Moon because of being nocturnal, and I could see it~ I love both lines so whichever I get to see in Moon, I will like~ :3 Also inwardly LOLing because of this pink mon being pure Grass and not Fairy~ Like the reverse of Comfey!!! But also glad it's not Bug, either~

Gumshoos is like the new Diggersby, IMO, LOL~ Though, unlike Diggersby Tho, Gumshoos is kinda eh, to me~ SCREAMING AT THE TRUMP COMPARISONS, RIP!!!

Minior seems really cool, specially it's Ability preventing status~ Wondering if Weather is included. Also, the Core is SO CUTE!!! I love that it can be other colors depending on where it breaks!!~ Plus, it'll become an attacker; sounds awesome~ Also it's description makes it seem like it may be on some Customization clothes~

Mudbray is cute, expected Mudsdale would have a pre-evo, and I'm pleased with its design~

Really loving Oricorio's different variations!! Baile and Sensu are my favorite designs, Pom Pom is cute, and Pa'u style looks cool, too~ It's ability sounds really situation, but REALLY good in those situations~ The different types just makes it that much cooler~ I also love the reference to Kanto with the Japanese Sensu Oricorio~

NOW THE ALOLAN POKEMON ARE HELLA DOPE!!

Alola Sandshrew and Sandslash as a result of climate migrations is really cool and the design is also MAD COOL for both, like this is really amazing! Ice/Steel will be really interesting~

Alola Vulpix seems even cuter for some reason!!! Plus Ice/Fairy Ninetales, while a disaster if it meets the new Steel Sandslash, is other wise gorgeous and a Dragon SLAYER! LOVE IT!! I now people wanted more Ice-types, and while these aren't necessarily "new", I'm loving them!!

Alola Exeggutor is just insane~ Dragon-type? 35'09 Palm tree monster? IRDK what to say about him, but I just really like what they did with him!

So I think that's it for new mons, overall 100% pleased with everything and getting more and more hyped each time we get something~

Alolan forms are pretty great! I'm glad they're doing this, but I wonder if they'll expand on this in future games and allow us to transfer these Pokemon. Probably a dumb thing to wonder about. xD I'm excited for Alolan Exeggutor and Alolan Vulpix line. Alolan Sandshrew is pretty adorable, and I quite like Alolan Sandslash.

Gumshoos is... Okay? It looks a bit better than Yungoos imo, but I still can't shake off that it looks similar to youknowwho.

Minior is pretty adorable! I wonder how many different cores there are. It'll be annoying trying to get them all. :/

Fomantis and Lunartis are both very cute! I quite love their designs.

Mudsbray is cute, but I kind of expected Mudsdale's pre-evolution to be all happy or whatever.

Oricorio and its forms are amazing! O: Pom Pom style is pretty cute and I'd say my favorite is the Baile style.

NOW ONTO THE CHARACTERS AND FEATURES

I feel like the replacements for the Gym Leaders have potential to develop. They all look pretty interesting too.

Riding Pokemon looks even better than it was in X/Y and it seems to have replaced HMs!

Z-Moves look pretty awesome, but I wonder... Does it have a relation to Zygarde?

So, am I right in thinking that the four Trial Captains they have shown here are the only ones? If so, then that could actually be a great way to have the "Leader" figures come back to being actual characters again, since four Captains is a much more manageable cast than eight Gym Leaders, and it's not like they have to worry about developing the Totem Pokémon. It seems like a pretty smart move thus far.

So, am I right in thinking that the four Trial Captains they have shown here are the only ones? If so, then that could actually be a great way to have the "Leader" figures come back to being actual characters again, since four Captains is a much more manageable cast than eight Gym Leaders, and it's not like they have to worry about developing the Totem Pokémon. It seems like a pretty smart move thus far.

We kinda do have eight gym leaders though. If you consider the four trial captains and the four kahunas.

So I don't really see how it would be more manageable.

The best I hope for is there are still eight Gyms, and after you beat the Pokémon League, you can get eight more whatevers in the island trials and challenge another League or something.

We kinda do have eight gym leaders though. If you consider the four trial captains and the four kahunas.

So I don't really see how it would be more manageable.

I was kinda using that as shorthand for "8 Leaders + 4 Elites + Champion," since I didn't mention the Kahunas or the Elites.

Certainly 4 Captains + 4 Kahunas would be more manageable. Especially since they each seem to be specific to an island, where we would presumably spend a decent amount of time. Four islands with a Captain and a Kahuna each would be easier to write than the rapid, linear stream of Leader to Leader to Leader.

Well that was completely unexpected. I was really thrown off by the Alola forms. I would have put money on learning about new Mega Evolution today, but we got something completely different. I'm kind of mixed on the Alola forms. On one hand, I really like most of the designs. Vulpix and Ninetales in particular look gorgeous and both the Vulpix and Sandshrew lines are some of my favorites from the first generation. On the other hand, the new typing feels really random, I am worried that the Alola forms would mean fewer new Pokemon and it does make me think that this could be done with Mega Pokemon. I really wanted a Mega Ninetales. Not as much as Mega Flygon or Mega Arcanine, but it was on my list for potential Mega Pokemon. Plus, focusing on the first generation of Pokemon again does make me worry that they'll overshadow the seventh generation of Pokemon. It's certainly not a bad idea and I'll probably like it more over time, but it does leave me feeling kind of mixed at the moment.

And the Island Trials turned out to be a bigger deal than I thought they would be. Similar to the Alola forms, I'm a bit mixed on the idea of the Island Trials replacing Gyms, although I don't think as much. Unlike a lot of people, I didn't have a problem with Gym battles. I was fine with them for the most part, but I'm not against doing something different. The Island Trials still sound close enough to Gyms without being too drastically different. It certainly isn't to the point where I'd say that it isn't Pokemon or something like that. I'm just also thrown off guard by this since I didn't expect the no Gym rumor to be true, assuming that the Island Trials do replace Gym battles completely. Maybe it's because I can enjoy repetitiveness/sameness for something that I like for a certain point, but the Gyms were fine. I like that they're trying to make the Island Trials a rite of passage, which is pretty cool, and it will probably turn out just fine as Gym battles under a different skin. The new characters revealed didn't leave much of an impression design wise for me, but I was also wondering if any of them could be Ash's new friends in the Alola region.

As for the new Pokemon, they're pretty good. I don't care for Gumshoos, but I do feel bad for it and Yungoos. Their designs are just going to get the worst comparison ever. Seriously, no Pokemon deserves that comparison. Oricorio is pretty cute. I especially like its Fire and Ghost type forms and I do like that the form depends on what island it is from. Minor didn't do a lot for me at first, but I like it more when the shell breaks, especially when I noticed what its eyes look like. Fomatis and Lurantis are pretty cute, although I'm kind of surprised that they aren't part Bug types. Lurantis in particular looks like it could be a part Bug type at least. I was so happy when they revealed Mudbray that I was doing cheers. I really like Mudsdale and I was hoping that it would have at least a pre-evolution, as it looked too big to evolve further, and I was so happy when they revealed it. It looks more like a donkey than a horse, but it's cute and now Mudbray is practically guaranteed to be on my Moon team. I want to ride across the Alola region riding along my Mudsdale.

Speaking of which, I do like that we can ride and fly on different Pokemon seemingly without HMs. While I do like some HMs like Surf and Waterfall, I would be okay with not needing them in order to past through areas. Plus, riding on a Mudsdale and flying on a Charizard looked so cool.

There was a lot of news from this trailer and it is amazing that we'll get even more in less than two weeks. We'll probably be getting at least some of that news from Coro Coro leaks that will start next week. I'm mixed on some of the new developments and at least part of it is just the unexpectedness of it all, but it's pretty awesome all around.

I agree with Hidden Mew about the Alola forms.

I understand that some old pokemon can appreciate being fleshed out a little bit, but not only did we already get a mechanic(i.e. Mega evolution) to improve old pokemon last gen, but repainting an old pokemon with a different style instead of creating an entirely new pokemon just feels so lazy to me. And i especially fear that it might turn into a gen 1 glorifying-fest(seriously GF, can't you let the other gen pokemon shine????)

Back
Top Bottom