• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Trainer/Player Character Customization Discussion

I hope they give the male trainers more customization options. Why does the female player always get more customization?

I brought that up earlier. The males ALWAYS get shortchanged in terms of customization, so I would love to see the boys get equal billing to the girls, as it's only fair. Otherwise most players (male AND female) will pick the girl PC because of the higher number of options available (plus she is cute...). But if they can make the customization as equal as possible (completely equal would be for the best), then it shouldn't be too much of an issue. So, let's hope that ends up being the case, as the sheer inequality of the customization options between the genders in the past was very annoying.

I brought that up earlier. The males ALWAYS get shortchanged in terms of customization, so I would love to see the boys get equal billing to the girls, as it's only fair. Otherwise most players (male AND female) will pick the girl PC because of the higher number of options available (plus she is cute...). But if they can make the customization as equal as possible (completely equal would be for the best), then it shouldn't be too much of an issue. So, let's hope that ends up being the case, as the sheer inequality of the customization options between the genders in the past was very annoying.
that said, I do like the male protag design a lot better than previous designs. Kalem was like an off-brand Hilbert, while Sun was... Sun was fine..., no major complaints, though all the tropical weather clothing definitely limited choices for both genders.

ideally, they just make everything available to anyone, like in animal crossing

I believe it is safe to expect customisation will return in these games. After having the feature for 2 generations now, there really is no reason to just get rid of it and irritate the vast amount of players that really enjoy it. I don't mind the designs of the protagonists, however, I really want to get rid of the beanie and the giant backpack.

I am happy to see that full length pants will be available again. It irritated me more than it should have when neither SM or LGPE allowed us to have them, SM in particular. Despite Alola being mostly tropical, there was still a cold snowy area in the game, and it is where the league is held, which means that anyone wanting to be a Pokémon master has to go there. So how does an entire region that has a snowy areas trainers effectively have to visit, not contain a single shop that sells even one pair of full length pants? That makes no sense. As for LGPE, the decision not to have any kind of full length pants in game was just weird. They even made a formal outfit that still featured shorts. As an Australian that wears full length pants even during Summer, there is no reason why my fictional character can't do the same in the fictional heat.

I'm also hoping that we get a few epic looking trench coats, and this game being set in the U.K, I'm willing to bet there will be atleast 1 trench coat option. My ideal clothing item would be a sleeve-less trench coat, although my hopes aren't high for that.

I also hope that the best coloured hair and eye colour options aren't locked until post game again. I hated having to wait until I finished the game before I could have white hair and purple eyes. What will be good is if they add even more colour options for hair and eyes.

Facial hair, if the female PC gets exclusive customization, then the male PC should also get some exclusive customization and facial hair would be that. I don't care if these games are for children, that has never stopped Mario from having a mustache, so why should it stop a Pokemon trainer from having one? Plus, if Pokemon really wants to grow up a little, have the male PC grow a beard or mustache.

I mean, we also had fake bears/goatees for those dumb PR videos in Kalos. Having facial hair wouldn't even be that new to the franchise. And if they want to make it feel like the protagonists are still kids, then just market the facial hair as fake costume items.

Also, I make this suggestion every time, but it really needs to be said: let us dress up like old protagonists. I'll even take Red's clothes at this point, I don't care. But it's honestly baffling that Game Freak didn't do this already.

Facial hair, if the female PC gets exclusive customization, then the male PC should also get some exclusive customization and facial hair would be that. I don't care if these games are for children, that has never stopped Mario from having a mustache, so why should it stop a Pokemon trainer from having one? Plus, if Pokemon really wants to grow up a little, have the male PC grow a beard or mustache.
Mario is an adult. The male PC isn’t. Even if he looks older then Gen 8, I wouldn’t go past 14-15.

I love using facial hairs on my characters, but I don’t see how it can work with the age of the Pokémon MC.

Mario is an adult. The male PC isn’t. Even if he looks older then Gen 8, I wouldn’t go past 14-15.

I love using facial hairs on my characters, but I don’t see how it can work with the age of the Pokémon MC.
Adults aren't the only people who can have facial hair, teenagers can also have facial hair, it is a proven fact.

Of course, but at 13-14, not in the aumont of more then stubbles, at least for the majority. If the PC was about 16 or older, I’d agree with you, but not really for a 13-14 years old.
We currently don't know the exact age of the protagonists, but Pokemon protagonists usually range from 11 to 17 years old.

Considering I had a decent amount of facial hair when I was just 14 (puberty hit me early), then it's not entirely farfetch'd. It's like when May's early design gave her a very ample chest in both the anime and games when she was just 10-12 (depending on medium), as puberty can hit as early as age 9, making such a thing possible. So, facial hair on a young teen isn't exactly a stretch of the imagination. It's kinda uncommon, but it can happen.

We currently don't know the exact age of the protagonists, but Pokemon protagonists usually range from 11 to 17 years old.
My assumption is based on what I think the age of the protagonists is. If they’re 17, It’s fine if customizations include facial hairs.

I don’t think that would happen either way, personally, because I don’t think many Japanase games have 16-17 old characters with facial hairs, but I wouldn’t mind the option.

Considering I had a decent amount of facial hair when I was just 14 (puberty hit me early), then it's not entirely farfetch'd. It's like when May's early design gave her a very ample chest in both the anime and games when she was just 10-12 (depending on medium), as puberty can hit as early as age 9, making such a thing possible. So, facial hair on a young teen isn't exactly a stretch of the imagination. It's kinda uncommon, but it can happen.
I said, in general, that you don’t have a decent aumont of facial hairs at the age. There are cases of such, but it’s not as widespread to make it common enough, in my opinion, to have a character stated to be 14 with those option.

Besides, Japanese teens are usually depicted without facial hairs in many/most games, as well as other media, while having girls with larger breasts isn’t as uncommon.

I said, in general, that you don’t have a decent aumont of facial hairs at the age. There are cases of such, but it’s not as widespread to make it common enough, in my opinion, to have a character stated to be 14 with those option.

Besides, Japanese teens are usually depicted without facial hairs in many/most games, as well as other media, while having girls with larger breasts isn’t as uncommon.
Race is now customizable in the games, so not all of the protags are Japanese.

I know. Despite that, they didn’t add the feature in X/Y, S/M and USUM.
I’m not against the feature. I just don’t think GF will implemented it.

The protagonists were blatantly young in SM and USUM though. Almost every media short of the games also labels them at exactly 11.

XY were the first instance of customisation so not really a good measure to build a pattern case.

Heck, when I was 13, I already had a decent sized mustache, so it is entirely possible for male PCs to have facial hair.

Given the graphics on the Switch are better than the 3DS they could really make customization really nice.

I hope it comes back, it really should be a series mainstay at this point and there's no reason why it shouldnt be available.

I really want to see more short hairstyles for girls. I wasnt a fan of the ones in XY and SM and USUM, and please let them not be version exclusive colors that was horrible. I just want more and better options as well as accessories like necklaces and such. They can do more now than they could on the 3DS so they should take advantage of that.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom