• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ultra Beasts Speculation

What I don't get is some of them have obvious design human conterparts, UB2 with Lusamine, Nihilego with Lillie, but it was never touched on, was it just coincidence?
except they don't. the story pretty much confirms that Lillie was dressed to look like Nihilego and so from there it's essentially coincidental and vague, stretched similarities.

Ultra Beasts were never people fused with pokemon in the first place. Apart from Lusamine and Bill who had fused, I am grateful that human-pokemon fusion is not available to use.

Yeah, the storyline eventually reveals that
Lillie was dressed by her mother, which was revealed to be Lusamine. Lusamine had gone absolutely batshit insane, obsessing over the Ultra Beasts. She probably chose Lillie's clothing specifically to make her look like her beautiful, perfect Ultra Beasts.
So Lillie looking like UB 01 was likely intentional, but not because they're one and the same or because they fused or anything.
Ultra Beasts were never people fused with pokemon in the first place. Apart from Lusamine and Bill who had fused, I am grateful that human-pokemon fusion is not available to use.
Arceus man, spoilers, the games still aren't that old.

Another thing that confuses me is: Nihilego, apparently it's always changing shape, and never settles on one, yet, when you see six of them in Ultra Space, they're all in the exact same jellyfish form.
was pretty dissapointed Lusamine's 6th mon wasn't her physically stepping in to beat your ass.
You and me both pal.

And what about Nihilego's lore that it moves like a little girl?
a little girl, completely vague and non-directive towards anything other than little girl, is different from a certain girl, which vaguely points us to a specific little girl that the player would know.

of course then there's the fact that Lillie's passing resemblance to UB-01 didn't even come up in the story..... at all.... there's a tidbit or two that the player is given that strongly implies that her mother dressed her that way, meaning that there is ultimately no real similarity between UB-01 and Lillie and so it's safe to assume that any other similarity is probably just coincidental and/or stretched.

What are some theories you have or heard of about the Ultra Beasts?

Like I think that the UB might be (at least loosely) based off the 7 deadly sins. They all don't seem to fit under this thought, but enough do to make me wounder.
Nihilego (envy)
Buzzwole (wrath)
Pheromosa (lust)
Xurkitree (greed?)
Celesteela (sloth?)
Kartana (pride?)
Guzzlord (gluttony)

Or the fact that all of the UB have at least one catch location that's geologically close to the Tapu ruins of the island they're caught on. With the farthest one also being the slowest, Guzzlord.

Any time there's a group of seven of something, chances are somebody's going to compare it to the Seven Deadly Sins.

Frankly, I'd say that it's not that enough of them do overlap with the Sins to give the theory merit - rather, I'd say that because so many of them do not overlap correctly (and, there's not really any in-game association made between Buzzwole and wrath, so I'd mark that one off, and the Nihilego/Envy one is a stretch too), that it makes it seem as though the ones that do are just circumstantial.

Personally, if I have any theory about them at all beyond what's presented in the games, then it's likely concerning what fundamental differences there are between the Cosmog line/Necrozma and the rest of the UBs that makes Poké Balls function well on the former but not the latter. Is it because Solgaleo/Lunala's bodies are really just adaptive "shells" for the cosmic entity inside (kind of like Magearna), which they were able to form by absorbing "terrestrial" solar/lunar energy and evolving under that influence rather than that of the stark environment of Ultra Space? If so, then what is Necrozma? It was said to have been resting underground - maybe it's something from Ultra Space that evolved/mutated in the Pokémon world, like Cosmog, except it did so in darkness, with no exposure to solar/lunar energy. Hard to say at this point, but there must be something different about them, based on the game mechanics.

And is it a coincidence that the pillars at Vast Poni Canyon, which mark the path to the Altar of the Sunne/Moone, feature a pattern that's similar to the one on Necrozma's back? (It probably is a coincidence, but eh, worth pointing out.)

Last edited:
Any time there's a group of seven of something, chances are somebody's going to compare it to the Seven Deadly Sins.

Frankly, I'd say that it's not that enough of them do overlap with the Sins to give the theory merit - rather, I'd say that because so many of them do not overlap correctly (and, there's not really any in-game association made between Buzzwole and wrath, so I'd mark that one off, and the Nihilego/Envy one is a stretch too), that it makes it seem as though the ones that do are just circumstantial.

Yeah, I see your point there. It was mostly Pheromosa and Guzzlord that lead me to think that. Though another thought did occur to me, what if what the UBs are based off of is more than what's seen at face value? Like the ambitions of man, and the destruction it's caused.

Nihilego - Man's solid ambition to reach the stars, but also being poisoned by the same ambitions as to disregard everything else around us.

Buzzwole/ Pheromosa - The ideology man has as to what a man/ woman should look like respectively. Big, strong, and muscular like what a man should look like, and what Buzzwole DOES look like. Tall, slender, and elegant like what a woman should look like, and what Pheromosa DOES look like.

Xurkitree - Man's constant need for electricity and power.

Celesteela - Man's expansion of industry at nature's expense.

Kartana - Further deforestation by man just for their own pleasure.

Guzzlord - How man takes everything man wants, but doesn't bother to give any of it back.

With this theory, it makes Nihilego all the more meaning full, when it comes to how it fits into the plot, and how it's the "first" (if not counting Lunala/ Solgaleo) UB you catch.

So I know Anabel is from RSE and the universe of the old games, but is it true that Hoenn was destroyed/invaded by the Ultra Beasts? I keep hearing about this but don't remember any dialogue about it in the UB missions. Is it just something people are assuming? I thought maybe Anabel somehow got pulled into a wormhole and that it was an isolated incident, not a full scale invasion.

So I know Anabel is from RSE and the universe of the old games, but is it true that Hoenn was destroyed/invaded by the Ultra Beasts? I keep hearing about this but don't remember any dialogue about it in the UB missions. Is it just something people are assuming? I thought maybe Anabel somehow got pulled into a wormhole and that it was an isolated incident, not a full scale invasion.

It's something people are assuming. There's absolutely no dialogue in the games about the old universe being destroyed. Really, there's not even any dialogue about the UBs appearing in the other universe at all, but one imagines they'd have to in order for there to be wormholes from that universe to this one.

If I understand it correctly, the extrapolation people are making is "UBs pop up in old universe > UBs attack for [reasons] because Anabel is said to have 'defended' a tower > old universe is destroyed because they don't have Megas to defend against UBs"

(Let's remember that we're able to fend off UB-01 at Aether Paradise without using Mega Evolution.)

It's something people are assuming. There's absolutely no dialogue in the games about the old universe being destroyed. Really, there's not even any dialogue about the UBs appearing in the other universe at all, but one imagines they'd have to in order for there to be wormholes from that universe to this one.

If I understand it correctly, the extrapolation people are making is "UBs pop up in old universe > UBs attack for [reasons] because Anabel is said to have 'defended' a tower > old universe is destroyed because they don't have Megas to defend against UBs"

(Let's remember that we're able to fend off UB-01 at Aether Paradise without using Mega Evolution.)

Okay that's what I thought. It's weird that people assume an invasion when UBs don't seem to have much interest in the world of humans and Pokemon.

Okay that's what I thought. It's weird that people assume an invasion when UBs don't seem to have much interest in the world of humans and Pokemon.

I think in general a lot of people have misunderstood the UBs - we're told, as you said, that they don't really like being in the Pokémon world, and they largely act on instinct when approached. They do go berserk if they sense a Faller, but I don't think there's any reason to believe that there were enough Fallers in Oldverse Hoenn to make them go that wild. Hell, we don't even really have any evidence to say that there is a particularly abundance of UBs appearing in the Oldverse - their crossovers could just as easily be infrequent isolated incidents just like in the Megaverse.

Hoenn was never destroyed by ultra beasts. Not sure how that got brought up but this is not true. Original Hoenn remains intact to this day.

I think in general a lot of people have misunderstood the UBs - we're told, as you said, that they don't really like being in the Pokémon world, and they largely act on instinct when approached. They do go berserk if they sense a Faller, but I don't think there's any reason to believe that there were enough Fallers in Oldverse Hoenn to make them go that wild. Hell, we don't even really have any evidence to say that there is a particularly abundance of UBs appearing in the Oldverse - their crossovers could just as easily be infrequent isolated incidents just like in the Megaverse.
I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, I haven't done the UB quest yet, but I keep seeing people use this word. What's a Faller?

Back
Top Bottom