• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Unova league in 3 months (in anime time)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt that Ash would even be disappointed. Only the fans keep track of his accomplishments.

True, especially since Ash always wants to win the League and he usually handles losing pretty well, at least in the last couple of leagues at least. Still, it would be interesting to see him get a lower rank to see if he does react differently and it would just be something different instead of being a more predictable outcome.

I know that's right. I want to see tears from him if I see a lower rank than in AG because that would be just wrong.

I still prefer the idea of seeing him get to the Top 8. At one point, I think Ash needs to get to a lower rank than the last League just to show that one doesn't always make significant progress in a journey and it would be honestly pretty interesting to see how he handles it.
I doubt that Ash would even be disappointed. Only the fans keep track of his accomplishments.

That is far from true. Prior to Best Wishes, I remember a number of instances where a character (whether it be one of Ash's friends or even Ash himself) would mention Ash's previous league rankings. The one that stands out in my mind is in early Hoenn when Max reflected on the Silver Conference battle between Ash and Harrison, before teasing Ash that he could've done better. It wasn't long before Max realised and explicitly stated that Ash was an impressive trainer, his strategy in his Gym battle with Roxanne being an example; and again, I believe that his Johto League performance was referenced. Even in DP, Brock stated that Top 4 was the best that Ash had ever ranked. As a result, I would disagree that only us fans keep a mental note of Ash's past achievements.

Like so many others, I am not anticipating a great Unova League tournament. My indifference stems mainly from the extremely poor standard of writing throughout Best Wishes Seasons 1 & 2, and in turn the fact that Ash has barely done anything to deserve a high ranking in this region. His so-called rivalry with Trip doesn't have me looking forward to the inevitable final showdown in the tournament like his rivalry with Paul, and a handful of his Gym victories in Unova have been heavily influenced by a mid-battle evolution - ironically this had not happened prior to this saga, and these were evolutions of Pokemon that had little chance to shine and show their personalities in their base forms. Quite a regression from the quality of writing in DP, where each of Ash's Pokemon had its own unique personality, equal time in the limelight and all of them sharing a common goal in defeating Paul and most having a history with Paul's Pokemon (or in Infernape's case, with Paul himself). On the other hand, what is there to look forward to in the Unova League? I would suggest that the most we can look forward to is a league rival who can bring the very best out of Ash, but given the fact that development for Ash has been almost non-existant throughout Best Wishes, I am certainly not holding out any hope.

This span of time that we've had before the League starts just made me appreciate Stephan more. He can still be sorta dry, but he isn't as nearly as bad as Trip. I actually hope he makes it farther than Trip in the League. This span has done nothing to make me care about Ash and Trip's rivalry and damn sure hasn't made me want to see either of them in the finals.

I'd rather see Bel vs Burgundy in the League finals than Ash vs Trip. That's how bad I think their rivalry sucks.

So Trip appears in 7 or 8 episodes in the whole series and what he has with Satoshi still deserves to be called a rivalry? Give me a break. Satoshi has a better rivalry with Stephan than with Trip, for pete's sake.

Burgundy needs improve urgently! she is a shame as a rival :(

I'm still don't think she (or Georgia) will be entering this thing I mean the difference between between them entering and Conway entering is we didn't know about Conway or his goals he could have been a student of a Pokemon Tech like institution for all we know. And we was only seen doing trainer stuff so it was very well possible he was training. I guess Langley is possible but Cab has studing

Small note, but it seems the 3 supposed months of getting to the league will be extended, thanks to the rocket arc being confirmed for September. Now I know that if you consider how the countdown starts in early July early October seemed likely, but it always seemed to be more of a late September thing. It is good to note however that it means we should likely not worry bout what's after the league till January at least.

It is good to note however that it means we should likely not worry bout what's after the league till January at least.
I'd say December. If the league starts in late October (specifically the 25th) and lasts eight episodes, then the last league episode should air in mid-December (the 13th).

It is good to note however that it means we should likely not worry bout what's after the league till January at least.
I'd say December. If the league starts in late October (specifically the 25th) and lasts eight episodes, then the last league episode should air in mid-December (the 13th).

That's assuming they don't take any more breaks, though.

Regardless, I wouldn't say that the league will last at least until January. I wouldn't bet on the Team Rocket arc being a three-parter or the league taking up 8 episodes (as opposed to 7), either.

Last edited:

True, especially since Ash always wants to win the League and he usually handles losing pretty well, at least in the last couple of leagues at least. Still, it would be interesting to see him get a lower rank to see if he does react differently and it would just be something different instead of being a more predictable outcome.

yeah the way it's going with his team he is getting top 8 at best.

if they do allow him to blend his team with his older Pokes however, a scenario I want to see is him winning the League but losing to the Elite 4.

I think it might be a good idea to actually bring back Ritchie, Morrisson or even Tyson. Ash's unova rivals are so poor, i can't see such battles generate any kind of excitement

Ash has never faced the same opponent in two different leagues. Imagine Ritchie showing up with a Charizard, Pikachu, Tyranitar and a Swellow. Ash could use some of his older pokemon too, it could make up for a great battle. Not only that, but they both started training in Kanto and have similar experience levels.

Otherwise i see a very boring league. Ash's Unova pokemon simply aren't good enough. Even if the writers evolve his pokemon, most of his news ones are boring (except oshawatt). Last time we has pokemon like infernape and buizel, who weren't just strong but also very exciting to watch. The writing has seriously gone downhill.

yeah the way it's going with his team he is getting top 8 at best.

if they do allow him to blend his team with his older Pokes however, a scenario I want to see is him winning the League but losing to the Elite 4.

I don't know if using his older Pokemon would make the idea of Ash winning the Unova League and getting to the Champion League any more believable than if he just used his Unova Pokemon. His skills would still be problematic and I honestly don't think he deserves to get that far in the League. Plus, I still would have issues with just using his other Pokemon since it would make the decision to give Ash so many Pokemon during the course of his Unova journey even more questionable. Not to mention it would take up screentime that most of his Unova Pokemon still need. While I wouldn't mind seeing some of Ash's older Pokemon being used again, I'd prefer if it was saved for another event instead.

Regardless, I wouldn't say that the league will last at least until January. I wouldn't bet on the Team Rocket arc being a three-parter or the league taking up 8 episodes (as opposed to 7), either.
Team rocket would likely focus on capturing meloetta in the first episode, with the other 2 being their plan, and the big battle with the genies and the climax. The league taking up 7 episodes would be natural, with another 2-3 episode before and after focusing on Ash being prepared for it and going back home. Christmas time also usually features a break, so January is the safest bet as I said.

Team rocket would likely focus on capturing meloetta in the first episode, with the other 2 being their plan, and the big battle with the genies and the climax.
A three-parter is possible, but it is anything but guaranteed. The Meloetta episode reminds me of the Lake trio capture episode (DP151), which was followed by a single episode dealing with the Spear Pillar climax. Granted, there were three episodes in the Team Galactic finale, but the first one wasn't particularly important in that it only offered exposition about the Red Chain of all things. Unlike Team Galactic, the Rocket trio still get to appear in normal episodes, so if they get a few scenes in the episodes before their arc, that may be enough to set up everything.

I'd say that it depends on whether or not Operation Tempest really is the end of Team Rocket. We don't know that it is.

with another 2-3 episode before and after focusing on Ash being prepared for it and going back home.
Ash is always assumed to be training, but Best Wishes has had little to no training episodes and I don't why that would change now. The summary of BW095 mentions Ash training, but it won't be the focus of that episode. As for going back home, I don't think many people expect him to return to Pallet Town just yet. Wherever he goes, the episode following the league should have him choose his new challenge, if previous sagas are anything to go by.

Christmas time also usually features a break, so January is the safest bet as I said.
You said at least January. As I see it, even the beginning of January is slightly stretching it, but let's just agree on early January or thereabouts.

I really don't think that we're going to see any of the old rivals (shame really). If we don't I reckon that Ash will stay to using his current team like he does every odd-numbered generation. Given the lack of 'World' Pokémon outside the World tournament my hopes are low for him bringing back old teams. If he did, he'd thrash every rival. I think that if no overpowered CoTDs enter he has a chance of winning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom