• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Updating Pokémon Disambiguations

What should we do with the redirects?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Updating Pokemon Disambiguations

That isn't disambiguation, that's consistency with link templates. They aren't changing
But none of them need the "(Pokéwalker Route)" at the end (I checked every single one). It's not a case of the Trainer classes where some of them need to be disambiguated, or even the Pokémon pages. The Pokéwalker Routes all have <name> redirect to <name> (Pokéwalker Route). By doing that, we may as well change all locations names to <name> (location).

The only reason they even have the disambiguation at the end is because the Japanese names needed it, but it should have been removed when we got the English names.

/offtopic

So, here's my question.

How many of you who voted for this actively edit the wiki?

How many of you just go to the wiki to find the species pages, scroll down to the learnsets, and then click off?

Because if that's the case, then we should really just get rid of any other information on the page, since that's the only stuff people care about. Don't try to deny it. That's the only reason you go to the species pages.

You're coming off a bit petulant and presumptuous here TTE (don't get offended, that isn't my intent. God I'm sure I'll get banned over that observation, or at least an infraction. :p). I read the entire of the articles, I find them interesting. I don't just use them for learnsets; which are admittedly very handy.

I don't edit the wiki but I use it constantly, every day. This as much for the people who use it as those who create it.

Just leave it. Typing in "Metapod" can mean anything a Major character has in the animr/Manga, TCG card or the species itself. In this case, we have Ash's Metapod, therefore, we have disambgs.

Pokemon like Sunkern don't have disambigs because there is no Major Sunkern in the anime/TCG/Manga.

I don't have a problem with it, When I type in "Tauros", I don't really expect to go to the species page; I expect to go to a disambig because I can be searching any other specific Tauros other than the species or the one Ash has. If I were looking for the species, I'd actually type in Tauros (P and the suggestion box come down and the first thing is, oh, Tauros (Pokémon).

Any other specific Pokémon? If it isn't notable enough, it gets a place in the disambig. And if it's notable enough, but still not enough to deserve a default disambig, a direct link on the top of the species page should suffice.

Having been on Bulbapedia for two years now, I find the current system good enough. By habit, I know how to get to species pages and such, but newer users and casual observers may want to skip the disambiguation pages. I remember an earlier argument about less load time on disambig pages for those that do not use high-speed Internet, which I would support since I know how painful slow Internet is.

By habit, I know how to get to species pages and such...
this is true with a lot of people, but its almost like saying "this door doesnt open unless you open it a specific way" when we can simply fix the door. new users shouldnt be expected to, or have to, "learn" how to search.

this is true with a lot of people, but its almost like saying "this door doesnt open unless you open it a specific way" when we can simply fix the door. new users shouldnt be expected to, or have to, "learn" how to search.
^ THIS.

An excellent analogy, in my opinion, and utilizing this analogy allow me to state explicitly once more: No one is suggesting that we knock down the door altogether.

In my opinion, that's a case of tough luck. We are a unique wiki, we should have our unique ways. So if you want to search something, learn the page names or don't search at all.

If you make it harder for readers, we'll lose them to other sites like Serebii. Bulbapedia needs to be as attractive to new readers as possible. As a further bonus, if they read for long enough, they might even become a contributor.

If you make it harder for readers, we'll lose them to other sites like Serebii. Bulbapedia needs to be as attractive to new readers as possible. As a further bonus, if they read for long enough, they might even become a contributor.
Precisely. This is for the readers. I'm sure that I'll get benefits, too. Anyway, if one wanted to search for everything relevant to the Pokémon, but not the species page itself, the "Search" button is there for a very good reason.

In this world, there are newcomers to Bulbapedia. We need to think of newcomers. We can't just stick with inefficient methods. This old disambiguation policy needs to die now, and we'll do it.

Anyway, if one wanted to search for everything relevant to the Pokémon, but not the species page itself, the "Search" button is there for a very good reason.

But if someone wanted that, then they'd be redirected to the species page instead of what they really want. The suggestion isn't even a good thing.

But if someone wanted that, then they'd be redirected to the species page instead of what they really want. The suggestion isn't even a good thing.
There's a "Go" button and a "Search" button. "Go" goes directly to the page with the same name. "Search" gives you a list of possible pages.

There's a "Go" button and a "Search" button. "Go" goes directly to the page with the same name. "Search" gives you a list of possible pages.
It doesn't work the same way though. If the article title doesn't contain the full word entered, for example many nicknames from the Pokémon Adventures Manga such as Saur, Pika, or Kitty, when searching for the Pokémon name, those wouldn't show up at all.

It doesn't work the same way though. If the article title doesn't contain the full word entered, for example many nicknames from the Pokémon Adventures Manga such as Saur, Pika, or Kitty, when searching for the Pokémon name, those wouldn't show up at all.
Maybe a search from the first paragraph needs to be implemented? Or perhaps tagging?

Okay, guys, I was really tired and actually clicked the wrong button. I am in favor of leaving the system as is.

That's not to say that the new ideas aren't good, I just think that it's unnecessary, because I think not as many users want to go directly to the species article as we suspect. If so much of our traffic goes to the species articles, it's simply because those are the first places new users will look for new information, in all likelihood.

It looks like we're going to be outvoted, though, so I'll regardless support any change that is decided upon by the majority.

because I think not as many users want to go directly to the species article as we suspect.
I will disagree with you here. I'm pretty sure the number of people wanting the species page dwarfs those wanting a list of all examples of that species on any given day, but that's not to say those same people don't appreciate the disambig pages when they need them, and that is probably more often than they think.

It's just we can't have it both ways. It's unfortunate that the search can't just sync to what we're desiring when we punch in Bulbasaur, be it disambig or species. Like everything else in this fandom, we can't cater to everyone, though it'd be damn nice if we could.

Redirect to the (Pokémon) page and have it link back to the disambig, is what I vote for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom