• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Was gen 4 really that bad?

Sneazy Sneasel

Is a pretty Sneasel
Reaction score
around the net i hear people saying gen 4 was a crappy reigion with crappy pokemon designs wise so i wonder why is sinnoh hated so hated all of a sudden?

Sinnoh was an AMAZING REGION. Here are my reasons:

-In my opinion, it had the most original starters ever. Water/Steel penguin? Sure. Fire/Fighting monkey? Sure. Grass/Ground walking forest? Sure.

-It had so much to explore! Instead of going in a straight line, (I'm looking at YOU, Unova) it had you travelling all over the place. In D/P, you'd have to go back to Hearthome City after you beat Pastoria Gym to beat the Gym there. And you'll have to revisit Jubilife to get to Canalave. And don't even get me started on the Fight/Survival/Resort area.

-Because of Gen 4, the Physical/Special split happened. Without this, the metagame would be completely different.

And that's just some reasons. There are obviously more, but I don't wanna type no more. xD

It's not terrible. But it's not amazing either. It's my least favorite generation mostly because that was my Pokemon low point. It introduced so many Pokemon that are evolutions or pre-evolutions of monster from previous generations, and that just bugs the heck out of me. I'll give it props for the sheer size of Sinnoh, the region's unique environments, the physical/special split, and a few unique Pokemon typings, but it's just not my favorite.

I love Generation IV!! It was the first main series game I ever played, so I may be being biased, but I don't really care! Gen IV was great. It had a good story, the villainous team that I regard as the "most evil", awesome Elite Four in terms of typing; I personally loved it. But, once again, pretty biased here.

Diamond and Pearl > Black and White > BW2 (<-- horse feces) IMO.

Although not my favorite region, it is a close second.

I really enjoyed the story line, and the Pokemon. I didn't mind all the new evolutions, I actually thought they were well executed.

I honestly can't say anything bad about it, it was an enjoyable play.

I actually find 4th gen to be one of the best gens. It may not have made any truly groundbreaking changes, but it was the most polished in a sense, it managed to balance a lot of the improvements from 2nd and 3rd gen into one great game. The only real flaw in the games were the poor type distribution in DP, and even then, they fixed that in Platinum.

Sinnoh introduced many of my favorite pokemons and I love it.

However, DP not balancing the Sinnoh dex well hsd been a drawback that a gym leader and an Elite4 member had pokemons that weren't even theit specialty type. I heard many people complained about it

Gen IV was the first solid generation after Gen I. Gen II was too much of a Gen I copy-paste, Gen III was a clumsly first attempt at new beginnings.

In that sense, Gen IV is Gen II done right, and Gen V is Gen III done right.

While Diamond and Pearl were pretty lackluster, they were no worse than Ruby and Sapphire in my opinion.

Platinum, on the other hand, was AMAZING. One of my favorite Pokemon games of all time, for sure. It fixed all of DP's problems, and then some. It revamped the storyline into one of the most dark, mature, and interesting stories we've ever seen in the main series games (better than BW by a mile, in my opinion) and it fixed the Pokedex issues of DP. It even added some of my favorite Pokemon (Scyther and Houndour) to the regional dex.

HeartGold and SoulSilver were equally amazing. As far as remakes go, these games completely blow FireRed and LeafGreen out of the water. They are just too good.

The only drawback (for me) were the Pokemon. While some designs were really cool (Torterra, Empoleon, Staraptor, Luxray, Abomasnow, Giratina...) most of the Pokemon native to Sinnoh were just weird looking. I didn't particularly enjoy most of the Sinnoh Pokemon designs. In fact, I pretty much just mentioned all of the ones I genuinely liked above. (For the record, I do respect Garchomp and Lucario, but I don't like them.)

Most of the better Sinnoh designs were actually Pokemon not native to Sinnoh, but rather evolutions of previous Gen Pokemon. In fact, Sinnoh holds the record for most (pre-)evolutions of previous Pokemon introduced in the series so far, even beating out Johto. With that said, while some designs like Roserade, Mismagius, Togekiss, Tangrowth, Leafeon and Glaceon were pretty cool, I still find that even the previous gen evolutions are by and large poorly designed. The likes of Electivire, Magmortar and Rhyperior are just ugly and unappealing, in my opinion, and Froslass/Gallade were completely unnecessary evolutions (I would have liked Froslass better as a standalone Pokemon, but I just can't deal with Gallade.) I was put off by the number of legendaries introduced, and the Lake Trio just can't hold a candle to the birds, beasts, regis, or musketeers. I also don't see the appeal of Darkrai. Giratina was badass, though.

So yeah, the Pokemon designs were the one shortcoming that I think Gen IV had. With that said, Sinnoh was a very large and beautiful region with tons of different environments and the storyline promoted non-linear gameplay (which I'm all for.) Platinum's story was, in my opinion, the best Game Freak has ever done for a main series Pokemon game. Dawn was cute, Barry had significant character development, Rowan was cool, the Gym Leaders were all memorable, Cynthia's a freaking badass (and she has a personality, unlike a certain other champion who shall remain nameless *cough*Steven*cough*) and HGSS are among the best remakes I have ever played. In fact, HGSS are my favorite Pokemon games to date, with Platinum coming in a close second.

All in all, I think that, despite the underwhelming Pokemon designs (fixed in Gen V, thankfully,) Generation IV is my favorite Pokemon Generation so far.

It had great Pokemon, a good story (not my favorite however, that title goes to BW), solid, albeit very slow (DP, Platinum fixed this) gameplay, and a region that wasn't very linear, just how I like it in a Pokemon game. I loved the designs, quite possible my favorite gen, even though nostalgia will always tell me that Gen II and III were the best. (I grew up watching the anime during the time that Gen II was going out and Gen III was coming in, so I feel really attached to those Pokemon. Also, Sapphire was my first Pokemon game.)

Wow, apostrophes everywhere. :I

I think gen 4 kind of fails to stand out. It didn't add as many things as the other generations, with the physical/special split being the only significant addition. Some people probably felt that it was kind of like gen 3 with better graphics.

I personally think the Pokemon designs look a bit weird. I love the region Sinnoh though.

I love them all. Sinnoh was my favourite... Unova almost knocked it off the top spot. Most of my favourite pokemon are genII and genIV.

Sinnoh was really cool imo. I think it had the best gym leaders even with DP's lacking Dex (since it forced a slight workaround, which most leaders don't do) and the Pokemon evos of previous Gens were really good and the overall size and design of the region seemed amazing. The lack of Fire types was a problem for DP, but Platinum fixed that handily and the Physical/Special split was finally added. As for HG/SS...I wasn't a huge fan of Gen II when it first came around and even the remakes didn't lift my opinion too highly. The story just doesn't gel with me and Silver isn't a good rival imo. The Pokemon introduced were also sorta lackluster for me. That said, HG/SS were improvements so Gen IV rounds out to "Above Average" for me.

I personally find it the 2nd worst generation (with the 5th Generation as the worst, in my opinion), but I don't think it's as hated as Gen 3. I mean it wasn't a bad Gen really. I really liked the fact that it had many evolutions and pre-evolutions with the previous 3 generations which makes it heavily linked with them.

Diamond and Pearl sucked. Horrible Pokedex, horrible speed. Gen 4 in general was okay.

No. In my opinion, it was the best. Best Pokemon introduced, best villainous team and plot (although Unova almost beat it) and best Professor. xD. (Go Professor Rowan and his fridge full of sweets!)
But that's probably because Platinum was the first Pokemon game I ever played. I don't know. I just like it better then the other ones. I don't care for Kanto, not a big fan of Johto, Hoenn is okay, and Unova is alright. Sinnoh? The best.
But like I said, that's just my opinion. :3

Gen IV as a whole was great. I really loved Platinum and the Distortion World. Barry is one of my favorite rivals, and Dawn's Platinum outfit makes her one of my favorite protagonists. Team Galactic was pretty cool too, though they were pretty crazy. The Pokemon weren't bad either. And it had VS.Seeker, one of the best items.

It was just really slow. That was my only problem.

Personally, I loved all Gen 4 games quite a lot. However, I do have a huge peeve with it: 30 frames per second.
That's just bs, in my personal opinion. ;-; Some way to ruin HGSS, my favorite games in the series...

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom