• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What is your favorite and least favorite starter Pokemon

My favorite is Torchic because she is such a funny and werid pokemon. I think she is hilarious.

My least is Charizard, because it has bad typing and is overrated.

Venusaur has been my second favourite Pokémon ever since FR/LG so I guess it would be my favourite starter. My least favourite is tricky because I dislike Blaziken and Emboar pretty much equally. I don't mind Blaziken's design but it just doesn't seem to fit in the Pokémon universe. Emboar might be strong but it looks ridiculous.

Alright I'm listing these by their entire lines, not just individual evolutions

Favorite: cyndaquil, I know a lot of people say its also their favorite but I just like the design of it and its evolutions and its movepool is good enough (despite what some people say, they should try playing with serperior in black AND its sequel like I did, you just need to be flexible with the moves they get and what can be learned through tm's and tutors)

Least favorite: Chimchar by far. Not only is it fire/fighting again, but its design and both of its evolutions designs are UGLY AS SIN. Sorry that might have been taking it to far(really sorry if you do like it) but their is nothing redeemable about their designs in my opinoin.

Honorable mentions for favorite: Torchic: I really like Torchic and blaziken but I really don't like Combusken I don't don't know why its so ugly compared to the others. While others think its cute, all I see is a small,ugly,fat legged chicken.

Honorable mentions for least favorite: Mudkip: this isn't a problem with design, but actually its moves. Though I said this isn't really a problem for me normally, but in sapphire it still knew growl by the time I got to lilycove city. I rarely use stat moves so that shows that I had nothing to replace it with for about thirty levels. If i I hadn't taught it surf it still would have known water gun! That is just terrible. But since I like the design, and this only applies to sapphire, mudkip just wasn't bad enough to compete with chimchar for worst starter.

Other than that I don't have much to say. The rest are all at the least decent in my book, though admitedly I haven't used Chikorita before so I can't say anything about it. I know that Emboar copied The fire/fighting thing too(The first forms name just slipped my mind) but at least its design was different when compared to the other two(being based on a power than speed, though blaziken is more averaged out than the other two)

Last edited:
Favorite starter of all time is Treecko-Sceptile. I love the design mainly. It's simple yet spectacular enough to make him look deadly and fearsome. The move "Leaf Blade" feels like it was made for him. This is just a Pokefan's fantasy but if Pokemons were real; I imagine having Treecko as a starter. It's funny cos growing up from a tropical island, I had extreme fear of geckos and creatures a like.

Least favorite is Tepig-Emboar. It's a very disappointing line. Tepig looked really adorable and promising but Pignite and Emboar's design are awful. Emboar's design has too many things going on. They also have horrible stats. There could have been a lot of great ideas for Emboar. It has a very interesting origin. Fire/Fighting also isn't the suitable typing; personally. I thought Fire/Dark would have been appropriate. It's such a shame a great inspiration from Emboar could have produced a very interesting and awesome Pokemon.

My favorite starter is Snivy. He's just so... smug. I love it. I want a partner as narcissistic as I am.

My least favorite is probably Treecko or Oshawott. I've never really liked water types, and Treecko's just... silly. It's evolutions are better, but silly, silly Treecko isn't.

Difficult to pick one but my favourite starter would be either Snivy or Cyndaquil. Pretty much because of how the first evolution doesn't look like it's there just to fill in in addition to being pure grass/fire all the way.

And the least favourite are both Chimchar and Tepig. Something with starters and fighting types that doesn't work anymore. Torchic's line was good, but they messed it up with these two. Mostly because the design just looks confusing and complex.

Favorite: Fennekin right now, as long as its evolutions are awesome. :) Chimchar is a close second, cause Infernape is epic. Chimchar is really cute for a chimp too. :D

Least Favorite: Mudkip, basically for reasons Genwunner stated. Ugly design and evolutions, annoying internet meme, and I find the thing to be plain stupid.

EDIT: Oh, I already posted twice before in this thread? Oops. XD

Favourite: Treecko. I really like Treecko - it has just always appealed to me, and I like it's design and speed (since a lot of Grass-types aren't very fast).

Least Favourite: Chimchar. Boring, bad design, overrated, and IMO it is just a worse version of Torchic. I don't mind Infernape, though.

Favorite: Bulbasaur solely because I named mine Bulba Fett.
Least Favorite: Take your pick from the gen 5 starters.

Fav: tough between Treeco, Bulbasaur and Totodile (reeeaally tough). Least fav: Torchic

PS im on my phone browser and idk why I cant delete this.. I posted it by mistake.

Last edited:
Fav: tough between Treeco, Bulbasaur and Totodile (reeeaally tough). Least fav: Torchic

Favourite: Treecko. I really like Treecko - it has just always appealed to me, and I like it's design and speed (since a lot of Grass-types aren't very fast).

Least Favourite: Chimchar. Boring, bad design, overrated, and IMO it is just a worse version of Torchic. I don't mind Infernape, though.

Agree with Treecko but have you seen the speed Snivy/Servine and Serperior have? UNBELIEVABLE! But does Serperior have a higher base speed then Sceptile? Never checked

My favorite starter is Mudkip, I like its design and typing. Its always been one of my favorites.

My least favorite is Chikorita, though I prefer Meganium over Emboar, so maybe Tepig...

Favorite Starter: Snivy, it just looks so regal and refined, I have a hard time not loving it.

Treeko: Treeko, never really liked it very much... Just no...

My favorite's Charmander - Charizard was one of my absolute favorites as a kid, and I never grew out of loving them. I have a favoritism for both Flying and Fire types, too, so Charizard is just perfect.

Least favorites are all of the Unova ones. I hate both Oshawott's and Tepig's full evolution lines, and Snivy is really only a little bit better....

I bet you van figure out whos my favorite by yourself ;)

Now my least favorite is tricky, i hate too much starters! I hate Chikorita, Bulbasaur, Snivy and Tepig. And by just looking at all the Gen VI starters i hate them too.

But since i have to choose only one then id have to go with Tepig.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom