• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime What was the last anime you watched before posting in this thread?

Zexal gets better the further you go into it, the first 20 episodes are the most boring part.
I actually didn't find them all that boring.

I'm watching the sub and some of these VAs go hard as shit like Kaito and Shark. It's like they don't care it's a cartoon made primarly for children, they put every ounce of effort that they can into the voice acting.

I watched the remade version of Tokyo Mew Mew and I must admit that the old anime adaption was much better. It's like it wanted to follow the manga which already had less character development but then it wanted to be its own thing and the changes just weren't that good.

I'm sad that Bu-Ling got less development because she was always my favorite because her story of struggling with poverty and taking care of her siblings on her own always moved me. But maybe that's because some people thought she was a stereotype of Chinese people.

Ace Attorney, Season 2

I'm a bit torn right now between my favorite English dub VA for Phoenix for the first time (Ben Judd was the original in the English video games, always will be memorable that said). I liked Sam Riegel's in the newer VGs as he got actual lines of dialogue & was afforded the chance to flesh him out (he's Don Tigre in the Anime dub adaptation, I see what they did here), but Eric Vale has done a really good job as Wright/Naruhodo as well here. That said, the episode I'm on, reminds me how sick I am of hearing Kyle Hebert in everything I tend to watch (I like him sometimes in some roles, but it's exhausting hearing the exact same voices everywhere), and he's the inmate in it obviously.

Most of the stuff FUNi/Crunchyroll dubs is fanservice stuff or unmemorable these days to me, but I really like this Series, and it feels different.

I'm a bit torn right now between my favorite English dub VA for Phoenix for the first time (Ben Judd was the original in the English video games, always will be memorable that said). I liked Sam Riegel's in the newer VGs as he got actual lines of dialogue & was afforded the chance to flesh him out (he's Don Tigre in the Anime dub adaptation, I see what they did here), but Eric Vale has done a really good job as Wright/Naruhodo as well here.
Much respect to Ben Judd, but for me, Trevor White will always be the voice of Phoenix whenever I try to picture it in my head. :bulbaLove:

Much respect to Ben Judd, but for me, Trevor White will always be the voice of Phoenix whenever I try to picture it in my head. :bulbaLove:
I've heard good things about his, but it doesn't do much for me personally (White's rendition is better than Zach LeBlanc's to me, though, and I will say I like the Layton game bothered to pick a unique VA rather than the same roster of people we hear nonstop): right now, I'm torn between Riegel & Vale, personally.

(I will say the worst VA in the Anime dub I've been watching that said is Kent Williams as the Judge, what is he doing? Painfully forced. I like Dave B Mitchell's take most so far for that role)

Zexal, i'm at episode 124. Like mentioned above, it does get better, but i'll say this: it can get kind of over-dramatic to the point i'm saying for the show to tone it down. Outside of that, pretty solid overall and that means i actually kind of like it now, even if it's riddled with the usual anime cliches.

Definitely gonna take a break from this franchise after i finish Zexal because i was thinking of rewatching Arc-V but i ain't watching two Yu-Gi-Oh shows in a row. I wanna rewatch Arc-V because this was the first show in this franchise that i actively followed from release, but several years later and i hardly remember much from it outside of scattered memories of different points in the story. And what i get from the online discourse for this particular series is that it's a mixed bag at best with a lot of wasted potential.

Zexal, i'm at episode 124. Like mentioned above, it does get better, but i'll say this: it can get kind of over-dramatic to the point i'm saying for the show to tone it down. Outside of that, pretty solid overall and that means i actually kind of like it now, even if it's riddled with the usual anime cliches.

Definitely gonna take a break from this franchise after i finish Zexal because i was thinking of rewatching Arc-V but i ain't watching two Yu-Gi-Oh shows in a row. I wanna rewatch Arc-V because this was the first show in this franchise that i actively followed from release, but several years later and i hardly remember much from it outside of scattered memories of different points in the story. And what i get from the online discourse for this particular series is that it's a mixed bag at best with a lot of wasted potential.
If you think Zexal is dramatic... Yeah ARC-V past the first 20ish episodes is not the best idea to watch right after it.

For light hearted Yugioh, SEVENS and GO RUSH are better. No world ending plot, just kids games stuff. ARC-V and VRAINS are better, but way up on the dramatic side.

I don't mind dramatic stuff because my favorite seasons in any YGO shows are season 3 of GX and season 2 of 5DS and those emphasis drama far more than previous seasons (specially season 3 of GX compared to the previous seasons). Zexal at certain points just feels like it's going a little too overboard, it's like their heard the praise season 2 of 5DS got and decided to go even further in that direction.

I don't mind dramatic stuff because my favorite seasons in any YGO shows are season 3 of GX and season 2 of 5DS and those emphasis drama far more than previous seasons (specially season 3 of GX compared to the previous seasons). Zexal at certain points just feels like it's going a little too overboard, it's like their heard the praise season 2 of 5DS got and decided to go even further in that direction.
At leastt GX 3 did not have the entire world at stake like 5Ds/ZEXAL, just the school. If you think Zexal has gone overboard as of 124, you have at least two more major surprises to see.

If you think Zexal has gone overboard as of 124
Nah, only some times it goes a little overboard and it happens way before 124. But honestly, it reached point i have become kind of desensitized whenever a character gets on their knees and screams to the heavens like they have a stone in their kidney.

Also, it's weird to have a weird muscly bug man duel, same for jellyfish man and a literal mosquito ninja. You have this form that seems to make you physically stronger, but then you decide to play a card game.

These aren't even criticisms, it's just observations that don't really take me out of the experience. I am glad that i rewatched it because i actually like Zexal now and no longer think it's the worst series in the franchise.

Edit: I will add this, i have become extremely triggered whenever characters get surprised by card effects. Like, it's the written text on the card flavor text or the actual effect? If it's the latter, how are they are surprised by the effect? Just read the card. I know in Arc-V they have a scene of Yuya using the duel disk to read an opponent's card, but i bet whenever i rewatch that show people are gonna be surprised by card effects. Half of the moves that happen in duels wouldn't happen if people just read the card effects.

Last edited:
Re-watching Naruto since it is a guilty pleasure of mine. Particularly Part 1 before the franchise really started to go downhill. Made it past the Chuunin Exams and I wanted to give a shoutout to this bit...

Low key, one of my favourite scenes in my favourite arc of Naruto. It's just them being tested on how well they can be a "real ninja" by doing stealth reconnaissance - AKA cheating their way through an otherwise impossible written exam, as opposed to just DBZ-ing their way through conflicts later on in the story. It also highlights in my opinion why Boruto doesn't understand its source material since when Boruto takes the Chuunin Exams in that series, he is disqualified for extremely vague rules around cheating during a tournament fight which completely goes against the idea of them being ninja in the first place, hired mercenaries who take cloak and dagger jobs for money. :unsure:

Re-watching Naruto since it is a guilty pleasure of mine. Particularly Part 1 before the franchise really started to go downhill. Made it past the Chuunin Exams and I wanted to give a shoutout to this bit...

Low key, one of my favourite scenes in my favourite arc of Naruto. It's just them being tested on how well they can be a "real ninja" by doing stealth reconnaissance - AKA cheating their way through an otherwise impossible written exam, as opposed to just DBZ-ing their way through conflicts later on in the story. It also highlights in my opinion why Boruto doesn't understand its source material since when Boruto takes the Chuunin Exams in that series, he is disqualified for extremely vague rules around cheating during a tournament fight which completely goes against the idea of them being ninja in the first place, hired mercenaries who take cloak and dagger jobs for money. :unsure:

It's cool that they showed Tenten helping Lee

To kick of Summer season: the first episode of Yohane the Parhelion: Sunshine in the Mirror. I remember when this was first announced and thinking it was such a weird move for Love Live! to do a spin-off fantasy series but.... I gotta say I really liked this first episode!

Finished Zexal and it's overall pretty good. If i i had to rank it i would probably put in more towards the middle and that's a big difference because i used to think it was one of the worst series in the franchise. And that last duel was genuinely amazing and capped off several plot threads pretty nicely.

I will say, they tried way too hard with Vector's mannerisms. I get it, he's supposed to be crazy, but at certain points i think if the Joker was watching he would be telling Vector to tone it down.

Really weird that everyone seems just fine having Vector around after Astral fused the Barian and Astral worlds. I know he was driven mad by Don Thousand, but still kind of weird.

Took a little break in the weekend of watching Yu-Gi-Oh, but now i'm gonna start rewatching Arc-V. To think it's been nine freaking years since Arc-V came and went, i still remember following this show weekly.

Yesterday I finished the two episode OVA Eight Clouds Rising. It's was... alright, I definitely need to read the manga it's based on since two episodes is obviously not enough to show any of the story. The ending was very abrupt, no closure, and everything was just rushed in general. Otherwise, I like the character designs well enough, though anything with pretty boys almost always gets my attention anyway lol; the animation is meh, lots of zoom in with the camera work though, but the backgrounds were nice and colorful, at least.

As for currently watching, that would be Mirage of Blaze, Shakugan no Shana, Katekyo Hitman Reborn, and Welcome to the Ballroom. MoB I've heard about in passing from a friend back in high school, though at the time I never bothered to seek it out; the first episode is alright so far, though I'm not too fond of how the characters look so similar to each other. Shana I kind of snubbed back around 2006 or so, so the window for my enjoyment for it kind of passed and it shows; though it's not that bad, it's enough that I'll get around to watching season 2 and the movie at some point. KHR I've put off for too long and really needed to watch soon, it picks up at around episode 20 which is nice, but with my holding off on it it's just a bit of a slog now unfortunately, might just drop it soon if it can't recapture my interest again. Ballroom is great though, I love the dance sequences and the characters are very solid, would love a second season since the manga is still ongoing it seems.

Once I finish Shana and Ballroom, I'll pick up Slam Dunk again since I never bothered to finish it when I was younger. Didn't really enjoy it that much, but since picking up the manga and finally finishing it in full, it's not that boring as I remembered. Though I think the ending was never animated, so it might not be as good as it's original manga counterpart. I was surprised to find out about a new movie for it though, that apparently released towards the end of last year, so it gives me incentive to really finish the main anime and other side movies.

Back
Top Bottom