• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What'd you name your rival?

Dexter's his name, in Diamond at least. I don't know why, I just came up with it on the spot. The protagonist's name is Joe, which is my name in real life.

When playing the first time in Crystal, I named him ???, 'cause that's what he said his name was. I think I named the protagonist Ash.

Ditto when I played Gold 8 years later, but this time I named him Ken, after Ken Hoshimoto in Generation 2021.

Shame we didn't get to name the rival in RSE, though.

Last edited:
In Pearl my rivals name is Juusto, which means "Cheese" in Finnish :p
In Platinum I just name him Jun, for me it's so hard to create good names for rivals or for pokémon
I can't remember the rivals names in LeafGreen and HeartGold, but they are very silly names for sure

I don't remember what I called my rival in recent games, but I remember something funny I used to way back when I had gold. (the original one) I called my rival Ass, iferget, Stupid, moron, ?????, Poopie, etc. I was trying to lower that dude's self-confidence so he would leave me alone and commit suicide.

Needless to say, it didn't work. Boo-hoo for me.

On my current run...
My rival's Aquoris, with Piplup/Prinplup/Empoleon. I'm Chalybs, with a mono-steel team.
The names have connections with "Water" and "Metal" respectively.

Platinum- Chico
HeartGold- you don't wanna know...

FireRed: Blue
LeafGreen: Gary
Diamond: Ritchy
Platinum: Barry
SoulSilver: Silver

Let's see
FR: Henry
Second play of FR: Blue (Lazy....)
Pearl: John (The funny thing is, I found out his Japanese name was Jun not long after I started so I was like, "Wow, I was almost spot on.")
Platinum:Greg
HG: Reggie

Last edited:
Pearl: Cody. Was just a random name off the top of my head.
Platinum: Talon. Idk maaaan.
HeartGold: Was originally going to name him Simon, but went with Jacob instead.

SoulSilver: Lars (Ulrich, Metallica's drummer)
Platinum: Barry (Kept the name from the show)

(100th post!)

I named them after my younger brothers. A little rivalry is always good...

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom