• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Where Do We Rank?

All in all, it usually depends on how someone starts off. Though some proud good authors start to pump out mushrooms in addition to the good, it's usually because the author thinks that, since he or she is good, the readers will eat up everything. Even if it tastes terrible.

What do you have against mushrooms T_T

I'm on Serebii and PC all the time and I like the fics better here. Serebii especialyy is way too strict with how they police things.

Really? I always found the PC people a harder lot.

What do you have against mushrooms T_T

"Mushroom" is a faster way to say "Shiitake Mushroom", which is a kinder way to say "Shit".

Not to mention, it sounds better. Calling something a mushroom is also superior to calling something shit in every way possible.

Last edited:
"Mushroom" is a faster way to say "Shiitake Mushroom", which is a kinder way to say "Shit".

That's a very long stretch.

Not to mention, it sounds better. Calling something a mushroom also goes better with my personality than calling something shit.

I see.

The fics here laugh at Fanfiction's archive (but then again that's not saying much).

On the other hand, I feel like this community is a lot less friendly than most of the other ones I've ever posted some of my writing on. Either you're famous and everyone loves you, or you're just kind of ignored. Not used to that at all.

The fics here laugh at Fanfiction's archive (but then again that's not saying much).

On the other hand, I feel like this community is a lot less friendly than most of the other ones I've ever posted some of my writing on. Either you're famous and everyone loves you, or you're just kind of ignored. Not used to that at all.

I think this is the most unfortunately true thing someone's posted so far.

I've more reviews here than on ff.net. I think it's harder to get noticed on such a large scale than on a single forum.

I don't think that's an issue of friendliness, I think that's more an issue of responsivity.

If it were an issue of friendliness, we've be seeing more people giving the cold shoulder, criticizing ppeople without any hint of courtesy, etc.

I've more reviews here than on ff.net. I think it's harder to get noticed on such a large scale than on a single forum.

True that. In the 3 months that this fic has been here on Bulbagarden, it's gotten more reviews than it has on FF.net - although it's not an exaggerated difference. I can't truthfully claim that it has more reviews here in three months than it did for the entirety of nine on FF.net. The proportion of thoughtful reviews, however, have been much higher here.

In my case, it's the opposite. Plus, I also get favorite'd/alert'd... This place does disappoint me in direct feedback, though the Awards are something else entirely :XD2:

FF.net is a lot better for new writers just because u will get more eyes reading your fic. Here, if you ain't Rivals Story or Power Inside, u aren't gonna get reviews

FF.net is a lot better for new writers just because u will get more eyes reading your fic. Here, if you ain't Rivals Story or Power Inside, u aren't gonna get reviews

As much as I would love to disagree with this I can see that it is, unfortunately, somewhat true. What I can say, which will hopefully make people feel better, is that Rival's Story didn't get reviews for a very long time. In fact, I gave up on it for four or five months due to lack of response. What I see on this site is that the fics that are not given up on get the most reviews, I would reel off a list but it's a bit outdated since I'm not familiar with the popular fics at the moment (I used to try to read everything here but I've been quite busy now so I don't get a chance to read much at all)

So we just got back to the massive post I made earlier that everybody ignored.

Not to say Rival's Story doesn't deserve it- no, it was one of my favorite fics until I left and lost track of it (updating like a one man army can have disadvantages, Gama :p) and would still be if I was up to date on it. However, I'm sure that there are other fics that could be up to (or at least close to) Gama's level of writing that only need a few pointers and a little push to really help get the writer rolling.

Well, one of the implicit purposes of the Awards is to motivate writers to win those titles.

This is the reason why there was a lot of controversy on past winners having another chance; but if you want the award, you must prove you're better (the conclusion, paraphrased).

...we hope it's working :)

For the moment, "only" increased activity has been noted. We'll have to wait and see what happens after these Awards.

The "only" up there refers to the fact that I've noticed I at least have rivals for this season at the Shipping category. I haven't been paying attention to much else, sorry.

Disagree. My fic isn't anything that special or above anyone else's, and I, as a writer, am DEFINITELY not any better than anyone on this forum. All I know is that TPI has gotten reviews because I think I work hard at writing it.

I think that's the key. And like GM says, if you stick with it and don't get discouraged, you will get reviews.

So we just got back to the massive post I made earlier that everybody ignored.

Not to say Rival's Story doesn't deserve it- no, it was one of my favorite fics until I left and lost track of it (updating like a one man army can have disadvantages, Gama :p) and would still be if I was up to date on it. However, I'm sure that there are other fics that could be up to (or at least close to) Gama's level of writing that only need a few pointers and a little push to really help get the writer rolling.

Just went back and reread the post you're referring to and you're totally right about it. First let me say thank you for being so complimentary towards Rival's Story, but anyway, on with what I actually came here to say. What you're saying is a massive shame and I'd really like to see things changed around here in that respect (people reading things not just because they are dark, already really popular or already really unpopular) but I'm not sure how that could really be changed - I don't have any helpful suggestions to combat this problem.

All I can suggest is that we can all try and adopt a better attitude towards reading and reviewing - didn't someone post in the Writer's Block about this? (Zekurom or Legacy, I think) I try to read the new stuff that pops up in the Workshop but nowadays I'm quite busy with Uni stuff. I think the best way to try and solve this is simply to each give better reviews of fics and hopefully others will follow suit. I don't think any rules that could possibly be put in place could make things better.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom