• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Where do you draw inspiration from?

The Puppetmaster

I'm Alive
Reaction score
As the title of the thread asks, what inspires you to make, play, or mix music, sing, or make videos?

~~~

I'm inspired to sing by several of my favorite artists, such as Flyleaf, Fiona Apple, Rob Thomas, Eisley, and various others. I tend to cover songs I think are meaningful as opposed to ones I think just sound good (though I do that sometimes, too xD).

This may sound slightly odd, but I'm really inspired by artists who've had rough lives; I like the emotion they express through their lyrics. Additionally, I admire how they share with fans the awful experiences they've had as a message of hope that no matter what your situation in life is you can get out of it; I hope to do the same as I grow older. I want to hopefully help others grow through the advice I give as some of my favorite singers and bands have done for me.

From the last paragraph Puppetmaster, you sound like you would like to listen to Janis Joplin :)

I play bass guitar, I was inspired to play bass by Paul McCartney of The Beatles and John Entwistle of The Who. Entwistle is a pure master, there's no one better than him and his style inspired my on-stage bass solos. But the guys who really really inspire me are Victor Wooten (solo), Bootsy Collins (The Pacemakers, backing musician, solo) and Flea (Red Hot Chili Peppers), definitely Flea. While the first two are are jazz/funk slap bass artists, Flea has a unique style where he couldn't decide between playing complex funk bass lines or aggressive punk rock bass lines... so he combined the two and played fast, aggressive, complex bass lines and invented a whole new style of bass. That's why I admire him so so much.

Jaco Pastorius is also an excellent bass player but he really only inspired me for one song I've written, the rest are Flea- and Bootsy-inspired. I only like Jaco because he's got an extremely unique style that's very difficult to replicate.

It's always been my ambition to be in a rock band and apply my Flea-inspired slap bass to songs with different genre-- right now I'm in a post punk band and the lead singer specifically asked I play slap bass so we can create a new feel to every song. He said he wanted me to be "the crazy guy, like Flea"... That's no problem. My style works with the band's style and we're all hopeful for the future. Artists I like are generally jazz and funk artists i.e. Victor Wooten, Bootsy Collins, Sly and the Family Stone but every so often when an artist invents a new style and it works, I'm completely in love i.e. Jaco Pastorius, Red Hot Chili Peppers. I also like a bit of grunge i.e. Cryoshell, Chris Daughtry.

That's me! Sorry lol, monologuing is fun ^_^

Last edited:
As a guitarist the person who made me want to get into guitar playing was David Gilmour( guitarist for Pink Floyd), I base alot of my style around his playing and also I got into doing longer and more prog sounding songs because of him. Another big inspiration for me was Buckethead. I remember hearing one of his songs for the first time and just going holy shit and after that I got far more exparmental with my playing. Also he got me into shredding (even though I fail badly at shredding). Jimi Hendrix was what got me into using more distortion in my music and also what got me into singing. I could go on forever about this so I better stop XD!

as a song writer, i get a lot of inspiration from other bands that have come and gone. such as the Q Factor, Tsunami Bomb, and Brutal Dildos and also ones that are still around like NOFX, Rancid, Anti-Flag, and (curve ball) Lady Gaga. and before you say anything, i find her beautiful and inspiring because she doesn't care and she does what she wants. and also from my own life struggles and triumphs and awkward moments xp
but as an artist, i get inspiration from Pokemon. I don't like to call my drawings "gijinkas" because it's more about the clothes than the actual person looking like the Pokemon. my main focus in my art is hair and clothing looking like the Pokemon. an example would be Golduck; blue spiky hair with blonde bangs and a red strand with a blue raincoat with red buttons and a semicircle pattern on the cuffs of the sleeves and matching boots with the semicircle pattern on the toes.
i could go on forever about all the things that inspire me in my life so.. yeah i think this is enough =]

As a let's player, I draw inspiration from Chuggaaconroy. But I also draw inspiration from non-lpers, and sometimes even non-gamers! I just like to let's play it's fun.

I draw inspirations from the various songs I hear. I don't really have any particular favourites. I just like to use a little of everything.

Back
Top Bottom