• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Worst Anime?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I enjoyed the series for the fact that it does spend more time on character development than on violence that has no rhyme or reason. They gave us the fights that were important to the plot, and those may have been relatively few in number, but I honestly don't need to watch Bear fighting random monsters.
Oh, I understand that, and I have no problem with character development. But I just felt it dragged too much. I mean, they could have sped the plot along a bit more.

Neku said:
Oh, I understand that, and I have no problem with character development. But I just felt it dragged too much. I mean, they could have sped the plot along a bit more.
This, I understand. I really don't think that there's any point in the series that I could call 'boring', but the story certainly took its time building itself up. I just don't see the sense in criticizing a series based on character development about its lack of action, because that isn't the point. It seems that you understand this, though, and criticizing the slow-moving plot makes much more sense to me.

Yeah.

If an anime plot doesn't pick up by the third or fourth episode, it just bores me and turns me off. I have a short attention span like that.

Evangelion:

Yeah I know I'm gonna get it for this.

For the most part though, I found Evangelion entertaining. The fight scenes were great. Shinji and Asuke killed the show for me though, I couldn't stand either of them. If Shinji were a hot-blooded Super Robo pilot ala Kouji from Mazinger, Evangelion would have been awesome.

.hack

SIGN put me to sleep. Literally. I was lying down watching it on my bed, and just dozed off completely. I didn't sleep long, but I was out for a few minutes. It was just so boring... :/ But, it did have a nice soundtrack though.

Thus far, it is the only anime to have done this. I think Inu-Yasha might have been able to, but I didn't really watch it much.

Even though I'm saying these as "worst", that's not saying much coming from me. If I'm not interested in something, I just don't watch it.

fate said:
.hack

SIGN put me to sleep. Literally. I was lying down watching it on my bed, and just dozed off completely. I didn't sleep long, but I was out for a few minutes. It was just so boring... :/ But, it did have a nice soundtrack though.
I've said my part on the rest of this, but I just have to voice my agreement about the soundtrack. .hack//SIGN has my favourite soundtrack of any anime series that I've seen.

ANYTHING dubbed by 4kids. Yugioh and SonicX especially.

Do you mean the shows themselves or the dubbed versions? Because One Piece was raped by 4Kids but I consider it an excellent show.

Evangelion:

Yeah I know I'm gonna get it for this.

For the most part though, I found Evangelion entertaining. The fight scenes were great. Shinji and Asuke killed the show for me though, I couldn't stand either of them. If Shinji were a hot-blooded Super Robo pilot ala Kouji from Mazinger, Evangelion would have been awesome.

You're missing the point. Shinji isn't meant to be a hero. He is meant to be our anxieties and fears personified, not what we wished to be, and that just makes him so...human, and we can identify with him better. Indeed, pretty much every character in Evangelion is human,
even the Angels.
Though I found Asuka easy on the eye but a total bitch.

I'm gonna cause controversy here by saying Pokémon. Please, I'm aware this is a Pokémon forum, but I only really like the games and the manga. The anime? It's the same goddamn thing over and over again, every episode:

* Ash and Co. meet character of the day who owns Pokémon of the Day.

* Character of the day has dilemma

* Ash and Co. offer to fix this dilemma

* Team Rocket comes up with plan to steal Pikachu and Pokémon of the Day, for a reason that wouldn't help their organization in the slightest

* Team Rocket dons a terrible disguise which everybody falls for, and make off with Pikachu and Pokémon of the Day

* Team Rocket are sent flying

* Character of the day gets over his/her dilemma

* Rinse and repeat, add a Gym Battle/Contest every so often to "liven" things up

This is repeated ad nauseum, yet somehow nobody gets tired of it. The characters are one-dimensional and I honestly can't sympathise with any of them. Why do people keep watching it if it's just the same shite over and over again? This was the only anime 4Kids didn't completely rape, and that was only in the early, pre-Kahn days.

InuYasha

Thank God this has been put down already (no pun intended). InuYasha was typical spunky male with oversized weapon, Kagome was a bland twig with too many powers than she deserves, and Sesshomaru is the obligatory bishounen put there for fan-service. Later on in the series, there's a real lack of substance, aside from the "story thus far" section, which basically just vomits up the background information. To newcomers, it isn't as accessible; to seasoned readers, it's annoying. Takahashi's females all look the same: stick-thin with black hair and a totally blank, uninteresting face. That, and it takes so long for the story to really develop and get going that I don't think Takahashi even knew what she was doing any more, and just had to keep dragging it out.

"Yay, Naraku's dead!"

"No, he isn't! He's back again!"

"But he got shot with a sacred arrow! He should have been-!"

"Just play along! We get treats the longer we dance!"

And the ending of the anime. If you managed to last through endless Demon-of-the-week-gets-pwned and "character development" scenarios, your reward was the gang swearing to beat Naraku and then running down a road to nowhere.

If you stuck with the series that long, you deserved that.

I'm gonna cause controversy here by saying Pokémon. Please, I'm aware this is a Pokémon forum, but I only really like the games and the manga. The anime? It's the same goddamn thing over and over again, every episode:

* Team Rocket comes up with plan to steal Pikachu and Pokémon of the Day, for a reason that wouldn't help their organization in the slightest

* Team Rocket dons a terrible disguise which everybody falls for, and make off with Pikachu and Pokémon of the Day

* Rinse and repeat, add a Gym Battle/Contest every so often to "liven" things up

This is repeated ad nauseum, yet somehow nobody gets tired of it. The characters are one-dimensional and I honestly can't sympathise with any of them. Why do people keep watching it if it's just the same shite over and over again? This was the only anime 4Kids didn't completely rape, and that was only in the early, pre-Kahn days.

I can honestly agree with that. The games are awesome, but the anime fails.

Naruto
Too many of the characters are stereotypical. And the plot can get boring pretty quickly.
The only characters that are truly stereotypical in my opinion are all of team 7, minus Kakashi and Yamato. It's the fillers that make the anime series fail. Manga > anime.

Same here. I agree with you.

Yu-Gi-Oh and Yu-gi-oh GX for all of the stated reasons.

Mew Mew Power (NOT Tokyo Mew Mew), for the same reason.

English One Piece, reason is how much 4kids raped the series.

Last edited:

Because maybe other people have *shock* different perspectives? We don't all have the same mindset, you know. I get very irritated when people post things expecting every other person to act the same way as them.

For relevance, I haven't really watched enough anime to judge, but I'd say anything where they make a huge deal out of toys or cards, like the aforementioned Yugioh, Beyblade, B-Daman, and the most painful anime I've ever watched, Duel Masters. Yugioh is mockable, but nothing is more painful than someone who tries to be funny, but fails badly.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, there wasn't much that he could do about it. He was powerless to control his own life, and that sort of thing tends to takes its toll on a person.
As you say, though, to each their own. I'm not so much arguing against your point as I am adding another perspective. Whatever the reason, though, you don't like the character, and I'm not going to try to change your mind. Still, I agree with you fully about the designs and Michael, the hacker. He was a fantastic character.

Actually, one of my favourite characters in the series, despite only appearing in one episode, was Sastre. He was really quite badass.
Even so, I'd appreciate the character much more if they had done something other then just wallow in angst and be a jerk. The whole thing just felt very forced, for me angst has to be believable, or else I have trouble sympathizing with a character and they just become annoying.
I actually appreciate a good discussion on this. The more I think about it, I find my real problem with this series was overhype. Everyone had been saying it was really good and the first few episodes promised a great series, but the whole thing never delivered and left me with a bad taste for the entire series. Your perspective has been nice in that it's got me thinking back on the series for more reasons then why I hated it, and for that I thank you.

To add on the list of anime I think are the worst, I have to mention Chrono Crusade. Not because it was all that bad, but because the manga was a thousand times better for me. And since I read the manga first, the anime was a huge letdown.

I'm gonna cause controversy here by saying Pokémon. Please, I'm aware this is a Pokémon forum, but I only really like the games and the manga. The anime? It's the same goddamn thing over and over again, every episode.
I've seen plenty of fans of the games and manga hating the anime so that's nothing new. Not that I agree with them.

Yes, it follows a formula. But so what? "The group meet someone with some problem and help them with it while Team Rocket try to steal something" leaves plently of room for variety. The show remains as good light entertainment, which is why some of us still come back after eleven years. I'm not going to argue that it's a brilliant concept, but I don't think it's in "worst" territory either.

In all fairness, Bugs Bunny cartoons are pretty much just as repetive as Pokemon.

Joey said:
Even so, I'd appreciate the character much more if they had done something other then just wallow in angst and be a jerk. The whole thing just felt very forced, for me angst has to be believable, or else I have trouble sympathizing with a character and they just become annoying.
I actually appreciate a good discussion on this. The more I think about it, I find my real problem with this series was overhype. Everyone had been saying it was really good and the first few episodes promised a great series, but the whole thing never delivered and left me with a bad taste for the entire series. Your perspective has been nice in that it's got me thinking back on the series for more reasons then why I hated it, and for that I thank you
I'll say this about Amon; I don't understand why he turned on Robin after saving her from Solomon. I understand everything else about his character and the source of his angst, but I don't understand that. It could have made for a more interesting plot development, but it sort of came out of the blue.
When I first saw the series, I hadn't heard of it before. YTV had just started showing it, and I decided to see what it was about. In my case, hype wasn't a problem, and it happened to turn out that I really enjoyed it. As I said, though, the plot was just adequate. A better ending would have made all of the difference. Anyway, I'm glad that I can provide you with another perspective, and I've actually found this to be quite the good discussion as well.

And the ending of the anime. If you managed to last through endless Demon-of-the-week-gets-pwned and "character development" scenarios, your reward was the gang swearing to beat Naraku and then running down a road to nowhere.

If you stuck with the series that long, you deserved that.

Is it wrong of me to assume that you stuck with it that long?

There's a bunch of Animes I don't like, however, I cannot really recall them because I have a tendancy to shove shit out of my head.

I do remember one though, Bakugan. I keep trying to figure out how their stupid game is played, it makes no sense. I picked up on Yu-gi-oh fairly quickly (like from the first episode) and I can't figure this out. Also that allt heir little monsters are basically the same except for a colour change depending on their type.

As for Pokemon, its a ids show, expecting it to have a plot is basically the same as expecting Spongebob or Fairly Odd Parents to have a plot.

As for Pokemon, its a kids show, expecting it to have a plot is basically the same as expecting Spongebob or Fairly Odd Parents to have a plot.
I'm assuming you haven't seen too many episodes of either of those shows.

I'm assuming you haven't seen too many episodes of either of those shows.
Well, Spongebob doesn't have an overarching plot. Neither does FairlyOdd Parents. Pokemon does have a loose plot, though.

Well, Spongebob doesn't have an overarching plot. Neither does FairlyOdd Parents. Pokemon does have a loose plot, though.

Trust me- comparing spongebob to Pokemon is like comparing Family guy to A touch of Frost. They are just too different to make a fair comparison.

Seasons 9 and 10 of the Pokemon Anime. The voices are shit, and I bet the same thing goes for Dawn's Fucking voice! Seasons 1-8 were great, but seasons 9 and 10 are in my opinion, sound absolutely fucking strange. The Battle Frontier takes place in the Kanto Region? Why the fuck did Pokemon USA do that? It's COMPLETELY NON-CANON and it just DOESN'T FIT with the game!

Is it wrong of me to assume that you stuck with it that long?

Yes, you are indeed wrong. I only watched it because I was bored, and thought the ending was a cop-out. Didn't feel nearly as bad as a friend of mine, however, who was a devout fan until she stayed up late to watch the final episode, only to end up screaming "WHAT THE FUCK?!!" at the TV. For the fans, that was just a massive slap-in-the-face.

Because maybe other people have *shock* different perspectives? We don't all have the same mindset, you know. I get very irritated when people post things expecting every other person to act the same way as them.

When did I ever try and force my opinion as fact? The part you quoted wasn't even implying that; I was just wondering what the appeal of it is. To some, it might be a light fun animé; to others, it's just the same formula. I'm aware that people have different opinions and don't try and make mine look as fact.

Last edited:
When did I ever try and force my opinion as fact? The part you quoted wasn't even implying that; I was just wondering what the appeal of it is. To some, it might be a light fun animé; to others, it's just the same formula. I'm aware that people have different opinions and don't try and make mine look as fact.

Well, I suppose that it amounts to nothing more than linguistics quibbles, but I kind of felt the wording made it seem like you were implying that people who watched it were stupid. If you worded it without using the S word, I would have gotten your point.

Sorry that I take words seriously, but I'm a lingustics nerd, and I know very well how carefully worded language can be used for propaganda purposes.

By the way, I suspect that an objective worst anime would have been driven to obscurity by its sheer awfulness (unless it was so bad that people enjoy it for camp value, but then that's loving to hate). But I still say Duel Masters is officially the worst anime I have ever watched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom