• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Passing the 3000 words-mark seems like a common thing for me, my chapters are usually around the 6000 mark. Then again, once you got some good ideas for your fic, you can't stop so easily and before you know, you'll say "Hey, I passed the 3000 words-mark!" But I guess it also comes with experience. Maybe that's what happened in your case, Kyuuketsuki.

Passing the 3000 words-mark seems like a common thing for me, my chapters are usually around the 6000 mark. Then again, once you got some good ideas for your fic, you can't stop so easily and before you know, you'll say "Hey, I passed the 3000 words-mark!" But I guess it also comes with experience. Maybe that's what happened in your case, Kyuuketsuki.

My chapters are rarely over 2,000 words, so 3,000+ is a big achievement for me. Maybe it's my first fan-fiction for that particular fandom that made me feel very conscious about the first chapter, or just plain vengeance for university depriving me of writing.

And 6,000 words is respectable! When writing for Pokémon, I sometimes felt that the chapters were too short, but they had to end or the second half would seem forced.

It has been a week and no progress on the Review Game. It is just a short little poem, probably won't take that long for you to review. So if one of you can review it for MuddyMudkips I'm sure he will appreciate it.
Actually, I'm a girl. XD But yeah, it would be great to get a comment or two ^_^;;

Also, congrats on passing the 3K words-mark, Kyuuketsuki!

It has been a week and no progress on the Review Game. It is just a short little poem, probably won't take that long for you to review. So if one of you can review it for MuddyMudkips I'm sure he will appreciate it.
Actually, I'm a girl. XD But yeah, it would be great to get a comment or two ^_^;;

Also, congrats on passing the 3K words-mark, Kyuuketsuki!
Oh whoops...the curse of gender-mixup strikes again!

My chapters keep getting longer and longer... they were about 1,500 words in the beginning, but my latest ones have all been a little over 4,000. If this continues, they might be around 8,000 in the end.

So, the final chapter turned out to be somewhere around 4,500 words, and I'm very satisfied with it, even if the original main character didn't appear in it at all.

I don't get it. I've stopped writing for close to two months solid because I couldn't figure anything out for my next chapter, and now that I'm writing it again, it just keeps getting longer and longer... and longer... It's like someone elected Pinocchio to congress and asked him to testify on something, this chapter just refuses to stop growing. I'll probably have to cut it up, it's already about 2x as long as my first one.

Also, I think it'll be very obvious where I stopped and started again. >.>

My chapters stay about the same length, but I keep going back and rewriting and editing and scrapping because I'm never really satisfied.

Why is writing dialogue so damn hard?

That also has to do with your own skills as a writer, a chapter getting longer may occur due to the events that happen in the chapter, the description and dialogue used and stuff. After all if you expand on description the chapter will expand as well and if the chapters start to have more events in them they also get longer.

Just a reminder and as a notice to those that are not yet aware, but the nomination period for the Summer Awards begins tomorrow! (It is being done by New Zealand time, the only proper time for anything to get done :p) If you want to nominate your stories and characters, be on the lookout for the thread that will mark the official start of the season. And if you are not yet aware, make sure you read the current announcement thread or read things carefully tomorrow and ensure you get involved and do not miss out!

Also, does anyone here regularly chat with @NoirGrimoir? She was meant to be doing our lesson for this month and was going to have it done by the 20th, but has ignored my PM's since then and I have no idea what is going on.

(It is being done by New Zealand time, the only proper time for anything to get done :p)
Pfft we all know Central Time is the correct time to use. Besides since it's Central, that means it is the middle time ;P

PS: What is the GMT +/- for New Zealand? I know we can look it up but you can also just as easily tell us.

Also, does anyone here regularly chat with @NoirGrimoir? She was meant to be doing our lesson for this month and was going to have it done by the 20th, but has ignored my PM's since then and I have no idea what is going on.
I remembered earlier that I've seen post in Kingdom of Pokemon a few times over the past few days so she is definitely around.

I'll see if I can get ahold of her.

Thanks. If anyone is in contact with her, please let her know I am trying to find out what is up with the lesson. I do not like bringing behind the scenes issues into public discussion, but as I have no other means of contacting her and she is not responding to PM's this is the only option.

Oh dear, I hope Noir solves whatever problems she might be having. :eek: I can't imagine what's up myself though. I haven't been here much lately due to work and other stuff.

If you have not noticed:
- The Welcome Hub is open! If you are a new user, this is a great asset to start and have a look around!
- The time to nominate your fics for the summer awards has begun! Make sure you get your nominations in if you want to stand a chance at winning in the judging round!

Oh sweetness! I know which of my fics I want to nominate too. It's not the Zelda one since it had its turn already. :3

Back
Top Bottom