• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being 'so nervous I don't end up posting it', how awkward/tense/nervous do you all feel before posting a chapter?

Probably in the middle for me, 5/10. I get nervous because I worry the chapter could've been better in some way (and even with betas telling me everything looks okay, I have this problem). But I'm also excited to share the next part of my stories with my readers and I look forward to hearing what they have to say, so!

Yeah, I don't like to go too long without writing something myself. I feel like I'll totally forget all the ideas I have in mind. I can come up with them, but transferring them to actual writing can be hard sometimes.

Story of my freaking life, I swear. :p

On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being 'so nervous I don't end up posting it', how awkward/tense/nervous do you all feel before posting a chapter?

Um... Well, I'm not sure I can really answer that one!

On that note, though I do actually still intend to actually upload something at some point, surprising as that may be. This summer, if I'm lucky. Though at the moment I'm having a lot of difficulty starting off, so we'll have to wait and see how that goes.

I normally am around a 4-6. I'm always a mix of excited to see what people think while at the same time not so excited to hear what people think :p I'm very rarely 100% confident with a chapter, but the only way to be that confident would involve weeks spent going over every single sentence a thousand times and I am slow enough as it is.

It varies depending on the chapter for me, honestly. Action-heavy chapters make me more nervous because I know that's not my strongest point lol

Someone reviewed 8ES on FF.net and after complimenting me and what not said they want to do something in a similar style, which I guess means the blog element. I don't really know how to respond to that. Obviously I don't have a copyright or anything on it, but I never know how to respond when people say "I wanna do what you've done!" Do I have any right to be like "Thanks but please don't associate it with my story at all."?

Someone reviewed 8ES on FF.net and after complimenting me and what not said they want to do something in a similar style, which I guess means the blog element. I don't really know how to respond to that. Obviously I don't have a copyright or anything on it, but I never know how to respond when people say "I wanna do what you've done!" Do I have any right to be like "Thanks but please don't associate it with my story at all."?
Was it How to Conquer Kalos, which just popped up on the main page of the Pokemon updates?

Haven't bothered/had the time to read it, but the title/summary ring a few bells...

Was it How to Conquer Kalos, which just popped up on the main page of the Pokemon updates?

Haven't bothered/had the time to read it, but the title/summary ring a few bells...
It was not that but this is pretty dodgy, but I looked at the reviews and someone had already called them out on it already. I had a read and even some of the character names are the same.

Urgh, what do I do? Leave a passive aggressive review, message them directly and call them on it?

Last edited:
It was not that but this is pretty dodgy, but I looked at the reviews and someone had already called them out on it already. I had a read and even some of the character names are the same.

Urgh, what do I do? Leave a passive aggressive review, message them directly and call them on it?
just do the classic ff.net review.

Wow, this is such an engaging story. I really love how [detail] and [detail] tie together to create [completely unrelated observation]. You've made a really realistic world in just a few chapters, and I'm particularly interested in [character] and how they'll grow during the course of the story. I definitely want to see how many steps it'll take to conquer Kalos. Looking forward to seeing more!

By the way, if you have time, you should check out my own story, How to Conquer Kanto in Eight Easy Steps. I think you'll enjoy it a lot!

Hah, it's Y-Ko who pointed it out, how about that.
I did find that quite funny since he gave 8ES a bad review a few years ago. Nice though to have someone watching out. Another person posted a guest review warning me about it, so I am feeling reassured that people can see through the charade.

I briefly skimmed the first chapter and the plot seems completely different to 8ES, mostly, so the fact they are making such blatant comparisons makes it all the more annoying. Have the same idea of someone using a non-starter, but the title and synopsis are just so obvious. I think we should all post reviews highlighting the plagarism so she at least changes the name.

I did find that quite funny since he gave 8ES a bad review a few years ago. Nice though to have someone watching out. Another person posted a guest review warning me about it, so I am feeling reassured that people can see through the charade.

I briefly skimmed the first chapter and the plot seems completely different to 8ES, mostly, so the fact they are making such blatant comparisons makes it all the more annoying. Have the same idea of someone using a non-starter, but the title and synopsis are just so obvious. I think we should all post reviews highlighting the plagarism so she at least changes the name.
Ehhhhhhh. If the only similarity is the title/synopsis and the non-starter (which is actually becoming more widespread tbh), this might just be something you talk about with them 1-1 over PM. Lord knows that five undeleteable reviews saying "you plagiarized this story from my bud" are going to suck a lot if it was an accident/they make changes/circumstantially lots of things fell into place and it's really just a coincidence that there's similarity (there are 80k+ fanfics for Pokemon now...)

Or the classic salty review. Forreals, y'all.

Ehhhhhhh. If the only similarity is the title/synopsis and the non-starter (which is actually becoming more widespread tbh), this might just be something you talk about with them 1-1 over PM. Lord knows that five undeleteable reviews saying "you plagiarized this story from my bud" are going to suck a lot if it was an accident/they make changes/circumstantially lots of things fell into place and it's really just a coincidence that there's similarity (there are 80k+ fanfics for Pokemon now...)

Or the classic salty review. Forreals, y'all.
When you put the two summaries side-by-side there are a lot of similarities, enough that it does look like this person simply copy and pasted and then changed a bit. By shame-reviewing (is that a thing? idk) them I just meant pointing that out, cause I think its pretty undeniable that its a coincedence especially given the title as well. I think I will contact them first and see if they own up to it, but given it is FF.net they could easily be one of the most difficult people on the internet.

When you put the two summaries side-by-side there are a lot of similarities, enough that it does look like this person simply copy and pasted and then changed a bit. By shame-reviewing (is that a thing? idk) them I just meant pointing that out, cause I think its pretty undeniable that its a coincedence especially given the title as well. I think I will contact them first and see if they own up to it, but given it is FF.net they could easily be one of the most difficult people on the internet.
...no but actually, if you're that recently-posted Guest review, it'll make it super hard for them to ask any follow-up questions ._.

Like. Y-Ko had the "you stole the title/summary" thing covered; the only thing you'd accomplish by reviewing would be by coming in as the actual author and saying "you stole my title/summary"

In other news, Gen VII spoilers apparently?
final starters types may have been leaked?
Popplio becomes a punching sea lion and Litten is eventually a ground type?

Do you guys all post your fics on FF.net too? I just started doing that, and it's crazy how many views you get there. From what I can tell, though, if you want lots of traffic, just do an Amourshipping fic with tons of sex. Lol.

I prefer to read stuff on FF.net due to the 'chaptered' layout it gives you, but I've heard enough about that place that I feel fairly safe in saying I won't ever make an account there.

Back
Top Bottom