• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

I have an FF.net account, yeah. FF.net is both a good place and a bad place to post your fics though. It's good because you're not allowed to copy story text unless you're looking at your own file in your own account. This prevents plagiarism. But it's bad because some reviewers can be boring or rude. But I ignore them.

ALL HAIL THE BEAST

I've thought about posting to ff.net a few times over the years. I started to, but the hassle involved discouraged me... I may consider it again.

Lately I've been cross-posting my works to both ffnet and AO3. Despite ffnet's problems and lackluster enforcement of the rules (plagiarists are allowed to roam free, which I hate), it was the first site I posted my work on, so it's kinda still got a special place in my heart.

I just like that it seems easier to get feedback there. But I agree posting a chapter is a hassle.

I actually think ff.net is fun!

Cons:
  • watching one chapter of an "ash was betrayed by all his friends but then he used his aura powers and came back 10x stronger and now he has a harem" get more reviews than all of my works combined
  • it's hella hard to get noticed and because of the sheer amount of submissions / all stories get buried within a day
  • most people don't actually give a fuck about concrit
  • people apparently plagiarize the fuck out of everything
  • I have tried and failed to teach grammar to at least 20 teenagers on the internet now ;-;
  • guest reviews make it even easier to shit on you
Pros:
  • there are actually some really nice writers/stories that come up from time to time
  • I get to see Pav on the forums trying to explain the semantics of POV shift to people who use "Bob's POV" as a legit heading mid-chapter
  • People read my stuff every now and then
idk, this makes it sound a lot worse than it is; it's actually kinda enjoyable. Also, because I'm posting ~seven chapters ahead on BMG than I am on ff.net, I can post the cool~edited~ versions after they get eviscerated here lol.

Stalker.

I admit I was playing devil's advocate on that subject - well, a little - because some of the pomposity was getting on my nerves
hey I legit stumbled upon that forum by trying to see what the largest forum in "General" was, and it turns out the most recent poster was this fellow called Pavell

When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east. When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves.
Funny thing is, Dany was actually probably having a miscarriage in that last chapter, not just the shits.

I think FF.net has a lot of cons (I always get asked to write stories for people which is really weird and really annoying), but it seems easier to get reviews on there, even if they are badly written guest reviews. I only keep posting there as long as I keep getting feedback.

...no but actually, if you're that recently-posted Guest review, it'll make it super hard for them to ask any follow-up questions ._.
I saw that but it wasn't me, I thought it might have been one of you lot. Seems kind of random they'd post a review simply criticising them: maybe FF.net authors are blind to bad criticism? :p

When is the submission cutoff for the awards?
Nominations will begin Sunday the 5th my time. If you are a past award winner you should have the 20k done before you nominate, and then you have until Sunday 19th to get chapters submitted for contention.

Last edited:
Wait, award submissions are open now? I never heard that! I better submit soon if this is true. o.o

EDIT: Wait, the "20k"? What's that? I'm a past winner, so...

Wait, award submissions are open now? I never heard that! I better submit soon if this is true. o.o

EDIT: Wait, the "20k"? What's that? I'm a past winner, so...
They aren't open yet, they are open in a week, hence why you haven't heard of it. And if your story has won an award before, you know have to have written 20k since the last time it was in contention for an award (ie the judging round) to be eligible.

They aren't open yet, they are open in a week, hence why you haven't heard of it. And if your story has won an award before, you know have to have written 20k since the last time it was in contention for an award (ie the judging round) to be eligible.

Ah, okay, I see! Thanks, AT. It looks like it won't matter in the end either, because I was going to submit a story that wasn't a past winner. :p

I've been on fanfiction.net since 2005. It's always been the place where I post my fics, and I know a lot of good people on there. It has its problems, but it's always stayed the same in all the time I've been there, and I don't see myself leaving it anytime soon.

FF.net has its drawbacks obviously, but for my fic, an anime-verse fic, it seems to get way more traffic than here. I feel like here, OC fics are king. Which is not a bad thing. Just saying the anime-verse thing gets me a lot of viewers which is nice.

FF looks dumpy. Though to be fair I've only been to laugh at horrible things like Ash has a Lucario who can talk and for some reason save the world.

I think the canon thing is the problem with FF.net. it doesn't really matter the quality or originality of the fic: you just have to put Ash in it or describe the shipping in the summary and your home free. Original characers get no attention on there at all - 8ES is my most viewed story on there, but it's also got over 100 chapters, which seems to be the only way original stories get attention. Dawn of Darkness didn't get much attention until it had finished and there were over 20 chapters, while I've posted absolutely atrocious shipping stories on there and one of them is my third most read fic.

Back
Top Bottom