• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY043: Master Tower! The History of Mega Evolution!!

I, for once, am against the general opinion here. The only big problem I see is that they took too much time doing the dancing, specially Clemont's machine. That time could've been used to expand even more the Mega Evolution backstory and perhaps give Team Rocket a less abrupt blastoff. Another thing is that we're seeing yet again the same "Lucario Mega Evolves to beat the sh*t out of the TRio" plot, once again. But I liked it in this episode, the problem is that it was so overused in the Korrina arc, so that's not much as a problem for this episode in specific.

But overall, I liked this episode as a nice build-up for the Gym Battle and as an introduction to the Tower of Mastery. I even found Team Rocket more interesting here, at least by XY standards. I mean, just look at them: Jessie, James, Meowth, Inkay, Wobbuffet, and to a less extent, Pumpkaboo. All of them got their own moments in this episode. Also, details like Wobbuffet keeping an eye outside of Gurkinn's room and twists like Pikachu popping the Meowth balloon before they could even get on it are what I like the most.

Another thing that I like is that everyone was on their pajamas during the whole night, so that means we didn't get much recycled footage. I actually expected them to amusingly put on their clothes off-screen during Team Rocket's motto, like they did on The Lonely Snover!. Also, I can relate a lot to Clemont, as he can't even keep up with an elderly like Gurkinn when running :(

Korrina's entrance is fantastic.

Agreed with the above - the 'History of Mega Evolution' seemed to just end up being one scene of a trainer and Lucario finding a glowing stone - which unlike the more reasonable depiction in the other episodes of being giant rocks that need to be processed into the orbs - were pre-made spheres, that look very unnatural. I'll assume that I missed a bit of spoken plot, especially with that scroll at the end, but still the episode didn't do much for its title.

Ash shouldn't be as amazed at streams parting before him - how many times has that been used as a thing in episodes now?

I don't get Ash's need to dance at the top of the episode - if that was going to serve a purpose in the Gym, then they've just needlessly given away their strategy. Would rather have gotten an episode of Ash trying to rollerskate, and have to get to the gym by being able to do the same thing Korrina did at the end.

At least Froakie on the sidelines means this won't be one of those episodes where Ash gets an advantage in a Gym - considering we don't have a rematch episode scheduled after this, I just don't know how they are going to pull out a believable victory for Ash. If it's all down to Hawlucha, that'll be bad because he hasn't really had the time to battle with it and be able to claim credit for its strength; and it's inevitable Pikachu will be the one against Lucario, even though Lucario's Steel typing should mean Fletchinder shouldn't have a problem winning.

Awesome seeing Korrina again. She became my second favorite. Ash and his Pokemon dancing is funny, somebody has a crush, sorry Korrina, Clemont's not interested. They gave little Korrina a break, I'm relieved there was no flashback of Korrina's early life, if they show baby Korrina, they may make her diaper puffy, making it look like it's full and she needs to be changed. Who takes care of this girl?
Gurkinn............. Still Don't Like him AT ALL!! I still haven't forgiven him for the Comments he made to Korrina back in The Aura Storm but I won't rant on it. I just found him Rude when Ash and Korrina got to The Tower Of Mastery.
Yes, my dad was shocked when he sat down and watched The Aura Storm with me. I don't like Gurkinn either, he's ugly, mean, nasty, rude, and abusive. He was cruel to her. Well I guess he had parents that treated him the same way or he was bullied and abused at school or his wife died and he still can't get over the loss of his wife. He's a pretty bad person, I find it hard to believe McGinty is his friend. He's territorial also. He is wealthy, so I guess he hired somebody to take care of Korrina or she has a parent left over or an aunt or uncle. I do get why is depressed and only relies on Lucario to happiness.

The trainer who used mega evolution looks like N and Siebold, I guess Gurkinn could be Siebold's father. I love the night scene. Eww Gurkinn looks so gross when he sleeps, he squirms and kicks and sleeps with his mouth open. Aww Korrina's like the best big sister ever, she gave up her room for one night to sleep with Ash and friends in the guest room, it's like she's there to protect them and help them if they have a nightmare. I guess she decided to because that's how she was brought up, maybe she slept in her parent's bed as a baby. It makes me wish even more that she had little siblings, she's a wonderful big sister and looks like she could be great mother in the future. Clemont's pajamas are a nightshirt, my friend was right. Korrina's hair is long, I guess those waves on the back of her head (when in a ponytail) aren't natural, her hair is actually straight. Her pajamas are cute, I'm surprised she has no bellybutton. I knew Gurkinn would be the referee, I can't believe that they put the Shalour Gym in the Tower of Mastery, I liked the games better, when they separate buildings.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom