• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY134: Siege of Miare Gym! Citroid Forever!!

Oh boy, this arc just keeps getting better and better.

Man I miss the days when Hyper Beam actually required users to recharge... Anyway, I liked how Noivern sacrificed himself to save Pikachu...but at the same I'm annoyed that he once again got blown out of a fight super early. I did enjoy Hawlucha taking on his dad role again...right before he got knocked out. Ok, the Gyarados is a monster. I'm glad Bonnie is still trying to save Squishy.

Damn, did Clemont just have Luxray electrocute those 2 grunts. Geez. I love how Clemont distracted Xerosic so Clembot could start his work shutting everything down. Well, at least Serena got to fight a little before Steven game out of nowhere to blast Mabel.

Ok, that MGyardaos is seriously a boss. And poor Goodra, he's just been getting knocked out since he came back. I thought when they showed Ash's original Kalos 3 that things were about to get serious. But no, Talonflame just gets knocked out the second he finally got to attack:( I was surprised to see Malva show up opposing Lysandre. I thought she'd appear later as his back up.

There's something really messed up about Steven showing up randomly in the middle of this and taking on Team Flare with Ash and Serena while Diantha is still back in the city central guiding the people on the ground imo. She's the Kalos champion, so she should be taking on Team Flare. The rivals and police should be able to handle what going on on the ground (since it seems no one else in Lumiose has any Pokemon to defend themselves or run to a safe location on their own), Diantha should be out there directly defending her region.

I'm really surprised that Sycamore and Mairin left Serena to fight the grunts while they got Chespie. I thought the girls would go for Chespie while Sycamore stayed out. But hey, the more screen time for Serena's other Pokemon the better.

Damn that was an epic save from Meyer. That wasn't Blaiken Man, that was full on Papa bear mode. He took a damn root to the chest. And Bonnie's song...that was amazing. Probably my favorite part of the episode. I teared up myself.

I'm incredibly disappointed that Clemont's battle was glossed over through the entire episode. Hell, for a Clemont episode, he barely showed up until the end. I did lol at the fact that Clembot's solution to get rid of Xerosic was to have in fall through a trap on the floor. I didn't find Clemont's scene with Clembot as emotion a Bonnie and Squishy's personally. Dedenne and Blaziken were supporting and protecting Bonnie the entire time, while Clemont's Pokemon just acted like statues the entire time he was having his moment. The scene was fine, but it could have been better. RIP Clembot..you're the really MVP here.

Alright, now let's see what Lysandre's got planned next. This is becoming one of the best villainous arcs. 8.7/10.

Pretty good episode. Sad moment where Clembot sacrifice itself. Con is Bonnie singing to snap Squishy out of it. Pro is Charizard is still standing during the battle. Mega Gyarados is pretty strong which makes sense.

I (dis?)like how the episode continues the trend of characters being attacked, only to be saved by a character who comes onto the scene. They keep doing that.
We like to call it 'plot armor'.

As good as the new episode was, I'm not letting it fool me into thinking the JP version will continue to be worth watching suffering after the Team Flare arc ends. You know how well it worked out last time I said a JP episode was good. There's still room for it to either topple in the proper direction that'll make me hate it peacefully and begrudgingly admit that it can do things right, or topple in its usual wrong direction that makes me feel unbridled fury at it and absolute joy at seeing the dub succeed at what it failed to do.

Anyway, this was a good episode. Squishy's Song became a Chekhov's Gun, which was nice to see. I just wish Clemont's battle against Xerosic got more focus.

For the second week in a row, I've got two music-related problems. First off, using the moving castle track from the Victini/Reshiram movie over Squishy snapping out of it. Unfitting, but not mood-ruiningly so. There are many better tracks that could've been used. I think that track that went over Alain's breakdown from last week's episode would've worked better here. Second, using AZ's Theme over Clembot's sacrifice. This one's not unfitting, but it's also not an ideal match for that scene.

Also, not to be a buzzkill, but The Legend of Korra did that whole "self-sacrifice to stop a huge machine" bit better.

As most people here, I kind of wish we had seen more of Xerosic and Clemont's battle. It didnt' feel like this episode was focused on Clemont at all, if it weren't for that heartbreaking scene near the end. On the other hand, that also made room for most characters to be involved as well, something they clearly have been putting a lot of effort into for this arc. Even if the XY rivals, Diantha and Sawyer weren't participating in this episode per se, the shots showing they're actually doing something in the meantime makes it a lot better. This is incredible.

The thing about this though is that while it was a very powerful scene, the impact it could have had was kind of taken away because Mako survived, unlike Clembot.
I'm pretty sure he's talking about Hiroshi Sato's death, not Mako.

Also, not to be a buzzkill, but The Legend of Korra did that whole "self-sacrifice to stop a huge machine" bit better.
The mere fact that we're actually comparing a sacrifice scene from The Legend of Korra with a scene from a Pokémon episode just proves to me how incredible the whole Team Flare arc is being handled right now.

The mere fact that we're actually comparing a sacrifice scene from The Legend of Korra with a scene from a Pokémon episode just proves to me how incredible the whole Team Flare arc is being handled right now.
Oh, Hiroshi Sato. If he was, that was my mistake. Both characters did make a self-sacrifice, though I thought about Mako cause he was the one to actually destory Kuvira's mech, while Hiroshi opened the path to it. His death was very emotional though, probably just as emotional as Clembot's. Seeing Asami reach out though and what she told Korra at the end though was a bit more powerful though.

Honestly though, this whole arc has made me think of the last three episode of The Legend of Korra. It really is being handled that well.

No, I was talking about Mako's scene. Though maybe something will come along that'll make me remember Hiroshi Sato's sacrifice.

What I most liked about Eureka saving Puni-chan was that she didn't start singing the song because she thought it was the only thing to bring it back to its senses... she just started singing it because it was all she had left, because she was terrified and genuinely thought she was about to die. It was only when she saw it was having an effect that she started singing it properly.

Like I said before, considering that people were groaning at the idea that Puni-chan's song would bring it round, it was so well acted by Marisa Iye and so well animated that I forgive it because for me it was the highlight of the episode.

Also, I can't believe no-one has mentioned the fact that Dedenne put itself between Zygarde and Eureka. Even the tiny mouse got an heroic moment.

What I most liked about Eureka saving Puni-chan was that she didn't start singing the song because she thought it was the only thing to bring it back to its senses... she just started singing it because it was all she had left, because she was terrified and genuinely thought she was about to die. It was only when she saw it was having an effect that she started singing it properly.

Like I said before, considering that people were groaning at the idea that Puni-chan's song would bring it round, it was so well acted by Marisa Iye and so well animated that I forgive it because for me it was the highlight of the episode.
Yeah, it was more beautifully done than I could have imagined. Squishy 50% nuzzling her afterwards was absolutely adorable too, that one little moment really got me.

No, I was talking about Mako's scene. Though maybe something will come along that'll make me remember Hiroshi Sato's sacrifice.
Yes, I totally didn't notice it before, but Mako's "sacrifice" scene does indeed have a lot of similarities with Clembot's.
This whole arc does feel kind of like the Legend of Korra finale for me too.

One thing that I particularly liked about this episode was Malva's stance. Throughout both the games and Pokémon Adventures manga, she's been very firmly on Team Flare's side against the protagonists. While a new concept, this has pretty much become her most recurring trait in all canons by now. The Kalos E4's token evil teammate.

Anime Malva however, has broken the mold and put her foot down. Who would have predicted that she'd also defect prior to the Flare arc commencing? It's left field and unexpected but a fresh new way to take her character.

Anime Malva however, has broken the mold and put her foot down. Who would have predicted that she'd also defect prior to the Flare arc commencing? It's left field and unexpected but a fresh new way to take her character.

I just wish she'd actually done something, other than just stand there with Mega Hellgar. Yeah, she saved Satoshi and Alan from being blasted, but that was about it.

Actually, come to think of it, did Satoshi and Alan even move in this episode? Guess that's where the animation budget was saved. Reminds me of the Shinji battle, how Takeshi stood with his arms through the whole thing while Hikari clapped her hands about a dozen times.

I'm pissed Clemont got very little focus in his own episode....

Otherwise, Mega Gyarados hype much? I mean it's obvious at this point Ash's Pokemon were only allowed to take out the non-mega Pyroar, because it's now once again Pikachu's, Ash-Greninja's, and Mega Charizard X's time to shine yet again. Poor guys, Goodra and Noviern still getting s*** on

Love how I correctly predicted that Punichan song would be the thing to snap Squishy back to his senses.

Can't really see how this finale will spin out for an hour, unless Lysandre is beating relatively quickly and the rest is closure, goodbye to squishy etc.

Literally how can Lysandre destroy the entire world and start again with just one (admittedly OP) Gyarados?

Also any ideas what this anime announcement could be about mentioned at the end and on Serebii, surprised it doesn't have a thread of its own. Is it just announcing the Sun/Moon series or could it be more?

Love how I correctly predicted that Punichan song would be the thing to snap Squishy back to his senses.

Can't really see how this finale will spin out for an hour, unless Lysandre is beating relatively quickly and the rest is closure, goodbye to squishy etc.

Literally how can Lysandre destroy the entire world and start again with just one (admittedly OP) Gyarados?

Also any ideas what this anime announcement could be about mentioned at the end and on Serebii, surprised it doesn't have a thread of its own. Is it just announcing the Sun/Moon series or could it be more?

Easy, he brings out the Megalith as Plan B. And turns it into Rock Zygarde.

Just seen Aeon's subs and actually cried a little. Clembot's memories went down with him.

Even if Clemont rebuilds him, he won't be the same...
Can you PM me where you found it? I can't find it on YouTube.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom