• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your favorite Pokemon game?

Crystal, it added to everything that was great in Gold and Silver, and by the time it was released, found it pretty amazing. Kept playing it for years after that, even.
HG/SS and BW2 come second for the extensive postgame content.

Black/White 2 because it had White Kyurem and Team Plasma and an updated version of Unova with more stuff and bringed back the old characters which was awesome~♥
X had amazing graphics new unique features, a fashion themed evil team,introduced Pokemon to the 3DS world (which was amazing) and a cute storyline.
Professor Sycamore is hot but that's another story.

Last edited:
Pokemon Platinum. It has the best story, best PokeDex, and easily the greatest amount of content and features. Sinnoh itself was huge and memorable while still offering a ton of variety in its locations. Pacing was top-notch. The soundtrack is also my favorite in the series.

Emerald is another favorite, but the GBA titles are finally starting to show their age. Unova was boring and linear and that definitely detracted from BW2, which also didn't live up to Black and White's great story. XY was fun and the 3D battles look really great, but the pacing was terrible and there may as well have been no "post-game" at all.

Last edited:
Emerald was definitely my favorite game. It was my first gen III game, and the graphics and box system in Gen II were a big reason I only sort of passively played those games. But Emerald was a huge step up over Silver in those departments and I fell in love with it. That to add that it was a really vibrant region with a good story and good pokemon... so Emerald was my fave.

Ugh all of them are good but here are the main series games I really loved:
Platinum (remake of my first Pokemon game)
Black
Heart Gold
And Y... kinda but a little less then the others.

Spin-offs:
Pokemon Ranger 3
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Blue Rescue team
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky

Oooh, toughie.

Well my favorite would have to be Sapphire because it was my first. But, after that, it's tougher. There's HGSS, Platinum, B2W2, XY, Colosseum, XD, Emerald, FRLG, etc.

As far as total spin-offs go, I actually really LOVED the main story/game of Pokemon Conquest. But the post-game was horrible, didn't even finish it.

And PMD: Blue Rescue Team was great too for its time. Loved that game too. I still remember, in my first playthrough I was a Squirtle and my partner was Charmander. I got it for my 10th birthday, and it was the first real spin-off I played. Before it, I had played RSE, LGFR, and Colo/XD iirc.

Gen III is definitely my favorite Generation of Pokemon, being my first gen (with games. I started Pokemon in general with Gen 1 anime), Gen III was my childhood and its games will always be very dear to my heart.

Last edited:
My absolute favorite has to be White. I loved the story in that game, the music was excellent, and the Pokemon introduced were not too shabby, either. Granted, Generation V wasn't the most innovative, but it was a lot of fun trying something new and not having to rely on Pokemon from previous generations to make a good game. Platinum is a very close second since it fixed what was wrong with Diamond and Pearl while keeping what made them work. Red is also a personal favorite due to it being the first Pokemon game I have ever played. They are in order with White being first on the favorite list, but they are so close they are almost a three-way tie.

Last edited:
Pokémon Platinum. Best music, great characters, best champion, evolutions for old Pokémon, Battle Frontier, favorite villain team, etc.

Emerald is a close second.

Also, favorite spin-off game is hands down Pokémon Conquest.

Pokemon Yellow, Pokemon Emerald, Pokemon Platinum, Pokemon Heartgold.
I simply can't pick one, although I can give my reasons:
* nostalgia of course, pokemon following you with cute animations and noises, anime references
* environmental variety, great pokemon variety, catchy music, high difficulty, 2 villainous teams at once, May :p
* Sinnoh is the best region imo, not so great pokemon variety but the new ones are great (save Bidoof), superb pacing, great villainous team, great story
* Heartgold is good overall, pokemon following you, great pokemon variety, catchy music, lots of content (2 regions), Ho-Oh :p

It's a three way tie between Pokemon White, Soul Silver, and Mystery Dungeon: Explores. White has my favorite story and characters of any main series game, I loved the original Silver and I was so happy to finally be able to save, and Mystery Dungeon: Explores is the one game that made me cry. Serval times.

Main Game: Platinum and Y. Platinum was a great improvement over Diamond, which is another of my favorites. Great story, best villainous team, hilarious rival, great characters and an intense story. Also loved the Battle Frontier and the improved Contests. I also just love a lot of the Sinnoh Pokemon and the Sinnoh region itself is really nice, visually. Y is similar in terms of a threatening villainous team and some cool characters, but it particularly shines with it's awesome post-game story in Lumiose, the Battle Maison, and the PSS. The PSS has allowed easy access to online play and a way to get into the competitive scene with helpful breeding mechanics and all the online battling you can do. The PSS in itself is one of the main reasons I love Y so much. Plus, Kalos is a beautiful region and I love every single Gen 6 Pokemon, minus Hawlucha~ It has its flaws, but it isn't enough to keep it from tying with Platinum. Emerald is a close second~

Side Game: Red Rescue Team, hands down. Nostalgic as my first Pokemon game, but even moreso, I just loved what it did to the series by allowing you to become a Pokemon and go through this really deep and intense story regarding a scale of potential catastrophism that had not been seen in a Pokemon game until that point, that I personally think the following PMD titles did not exceed. They were great games, with Explorers of Sky being a very close 2nd favorite, but just didn't surpass the original series. The story was amazing, the characters felt realistic, and everything fit together so well to make for a really touching story.

My favorite game with always be Blue Rescue Team. It was the first Pokémon game I ever played so of course it's nostalgic. But aside from that I loved the plot and characters. I could actually relate to my character and their partner and feel the friendship and their emotions throughout the adventure. Allowing us to experience the Pokémon world in this way was really nice.

Two-way tie with Pokemon Silver and Pokemon Y. Former has me actually travelling in Poke-Japan with a nicely integrated story of the legendaries. Latter has an enjoyable experience of Poke-France, a great online experience, and a Battle Maison where there's no illegal movesets, which is great if you want to test your team. Looking forward to Pokemon Z/XY2 so that they can iron out some of the deficiencies.

Runner-up will be Pokemon Black, for a great storyline, hilarious interaction with Bianca, a villain that does not fool around, and an oppourtunity to try out new Pokemon from the region. I do wish I was able to play under more ideal circumstances though.

Main series wise, I'd have to go with any Gen 3 Hoenn game (Sapphire, Ruby, Emerald). While its mostly for nostalgic reasons, in the sense that those were the games that really got me into pokemon (despite having played all those before it). But I think they also have the best atmosphere and geographical appeal in the sharp contrast between Hoenn's volcanic mainland and surrounding abyss of ocean, something not seen in any other pokemon game besides maybe Black 2/White 2 with the flash freeze; it really helps to bolster the purpose of the game and its plot. Of course, I was always fond of beachy and tropical styled games. Further yet, I believe the games also boast the best league of gym leaders and elite 4 members in such a way that each is unique and really make the game challenging, especially Norman, who is not only the first visible father in the pokemon series, but also serves to be a major difficulty curve also unlike other games in the series. And that's not even mentioning the introduction of contests and the Battle Frontier in Emerald. Even just being able to dive underwater and drift across the bounteous ocean floor was a thrill. It was all too disheartening to see it go in the next Gen.

As for spin-off titles, PMD: Blue Rescue Team definitely takes the cake. While the story was ok, it really shined in its gameplay, as it was successfully able to take the turn-based style of pokemon battling in the main games and craft an entire game out of it. Also, the personality test was an interesting take on picking a starter (which simultaneously contributed to an equally interesting and unorthodox fourth wall plot tie-in), not having to worry about nature or stats of a pokemon was cool, evolving was a pain but was satisfying when you could do it, and the game's difficulty in many places is always a good time when the main series games all seem a little easy at times. Once you were all done the story, there was even a pretty solid post-game, something that seems to be absent from games these days. And to top it all off, you got to BE the pokemon; how cool is that? A dream come true of so many pokemon fans out there.

Pokemon Black is my favorite of the main series, no doubt about that. The storyline took a new twist on the usual storyline formula: rather than beating the villains and taming the Poke-god before even challenging the Elite Four (and everyone acting like beating the Champ is a bigger deal than saving the world), fighting the villains becomes the climax. It felt like the kind of ending an RPG should have. The cutscenes gave a sense of sheer epicness that could never be delivered through an overworld sprite. I still think the music (especially the battle music) is some of the best in the series. Good characters (need I mention N?), good designs for the humans, 156 new monsters I could try out... I think you get it. This could go on forever.

As for spin-offs, PMD Explorers of Sky is my all-time favorite. Amazing story, interesting gameplay and concept, and the best musical score in all of the Pokemon franchise hands-down. With RPG's, I tend to value storyline more than anything else. Sure, the game can be fun, but the story's what drives me. It's the reason why I'll keep at it, to watch the events unfold. Which is why these two are my favorites.

Why do people prefer Black and B2 over White and W2?

This is just me, but I say Black's my favorite (instead of White) because I actually played the game. I know, White is essentially exactly the same, but I haven't played it. I can't really say Pokemon White is my favorite, can I? man I love being so nitpicky

On the other hand, I've never played Black 2, yet I've seen White 2 through to the end.

Debating between Emerald and Platinum.

Still have fond memories of playing Emerald on the way home in the car the day I bought it, and still have fond memories of taking Platinum on vacation and beating it for the first time while on vacation.

I'd say, as far as the main series goes, Black and White would be my favourites, seeing as 1: those games are simply great story-wise, 2: they have some of the best music of a main series game and 3: it was when I really started to get into compeditve battling, which also means a lot of my favourite Pokemon come from these games (even though there are a few lame ones like Beeheem (or however you spell it) and Cryogonal.)

And my overall favourite Pokemon game (and spin-off) is Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky because 1: you can play as a non-starter (I don't like the Gen 1-4 starters as much as Shinx, so sue me,) 2: Better story then B/W, 3: GREAT music such as Don't Ever Forget (aka. I Don't Want To Say Goodbye,) Dialga's fight to the finish, Temporal Tower, In The Morning Sun and the instant clasic that is Through The Sea of Time and 4: Adictive (allbeit somewhat repeditve) gameplay.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom