• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Zorua/Zorark English name.

There was a reason Funimation and 4kids could not air broadcast with Zoro being called Zoro, instead being called Zolo.

I thought FUNimation only kept it as Zolo for the TV airings for continuity with the 4kids version (like the other name changes)? As Zoro is retained on the DVDs.

like Rucario Lucario, I think the R's will just be changed to L's. The name won't stay the same, as Zoroark is no legendary, no matter what Unown Lord and the likes think his role'll be.

It seems more likely that Zoroark is going to be an antagonist than a protagonist.

My point was that it's a main character, and main Pokémon characters don't get new names (see Lucario, Manaphy, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Darkrai, Shaymin and Arceus). Masuda clearly said that they used Western names for those Pokémon was FOR THE SAKE OF NOT CHANGING THEM OVERSEAS and have unified names across the world.

See Giratina and Darkrai, who were somehow antagonists rather than protagonists in their respective movies, yetr they were considered important enough to keep their Japanese names.

I don't know about them using zorua, as the name zorua is already copyrighted. However, it's copyrighted as music.

Further research shows that names can't be copyrighted.

This. As I previously said, if the two copyrighted names doesn't interfere with each other's fields, there's no problem (see Apple Computer -a computers company- and Apple Corps -a publishing company-), so if Zorua as a trademark only stands as musis, there will be no trouble and can be used. And Zoroark, as I already said, isn't even copyrighted.

On the 4Kids thing, I don't know, it might just be a mistranslation or excessive fear from them.

EDIT:
like Rucario Lucario, I think the R's will just be changed to L's. The name won't stay the same, as Zoroark is no legendary, no matter what Unown Lord and the likes think his role'll be.

The R's won't be changed because this time the name is not a made up word, but an already existing root, which is itself an R, not an L (it's Zorro, not Zolo). And Lucario proves that not only Legendaries, but every movie Pokémon who play an important part in the movie keep their Japanese names.

Except Lucario's didn't change, because the official Romanization was always Lucario.

Do people just not listen?

On the 4Kids thing, I don't know, it might just be a mistranslation or excessive fear from them.

I don't know if they were actually threatened with a suit or not, but since their "Zoro" character and the well-known "Zorro" character are both swordsmen, the change probably was motivated by a desire to avoid infringement. I think the name was okay in Japan due to differing copyright laws and/or Zorro just not being that well-known there.

I thought FUNimation only kept it as Zolo for the TV airings for continuity with the 4kids version (like the other name changes)? As Zoro is retained on the DVDs.

No, Funimation wanted nothing to do with the 4kids version. Or else they would have kept Marc Diarason as Zoro. He was much better than the other guy is.

Is there anywhere online that can translate english Japanese into English (Convert Japanese that is not in Japanese letters, but in English), would that help at all for name?

Is there anywhere online that can translate english Japanese into English (Convert Japanese that is not in Japanese letters, but in English), would that help at all for name?

Why would it be in Roman leters? Oh, you want to translate these names? As TnKP, they sub Yugioh 5Ds, and can usually translate anything.

No, Funimation wanted nothing to do with the 4kids version. Or else they would have kept Marc Diarason as Zoro. He was much better than the other guy is.

And yet they kept all of FUNimation's name changes for the TV airing for consistency...

I think Zoroark's name will remain the same, but Zorua's will be changed as it's a bit of a mouthful for English speakers.

Despite how the name is pronounced in English, Zoroa/Zorua's name is pronounced the same as that of "Zoroark" only without the "rk."

Could you imagine trying to say Zoloalk? Seriously, try it right now. I'll wait.

See? You just sounded like an idiot.

I think Zoroark's name will remain the same, but Zorua's will be changed as it's a bit of a mouthful for English speakers.

Zor-oo-a or Zor-o-a

I'm not entirely sure which is the correct one, but I don't see how that is a mouthful.

English speakers can say Zorro right?

Funimation wanted nothing to do with 4Kids, no, but Cartoon Network and Toei did. They're the ones who forced the 4Kids terms on Funi for the TV dub so the kiddies who had been following the series on TV wouldn't become confused.

As for the names, the difference between "Zorua" and "Zoroark" is puzzling. The English names might become more consistent, either going with Zoroa and Zoroark, or making the pun clearer by using Zorroa and Zorroark.

As for the names, the difference between "Zorua" and "Zoroark" is puzzling. The English names might become more consistent, either going with Zoroa and Zoroark, or making the pun clearer by using Zorroa and Zorroark.

I kind of doubt that - you can also argue that they'll change it to "Zorodark" for that same reason, but that doesn't seem likely. The name origins are sometimes well-hidden, after all.

"Zorro" is spelled ゾロ in Japanese, though, so the origin of that part of the name isn't actually hidden to them at all.

"Zorro" is spelled ゾロ in Japanese, though, so the name origin isn't actually hidden to them at all.

Yet they still went ahead and used single Rs for the official Romanization, which is a really close indication in this case (because it's a movie Pokémon) of what the English name will look like.

They also used "Prasle" for what we know as Plusle. Your point?

My point is that every single Pokémon who has been the focus of a movie has had an English name that was exactly the same as their official Japanese Romanization. Zoroark could break the pattern, but it's very doubtful.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom