• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

A tough question. Which do you pick?

Which option do you choose?

• Be adored by all, but be abysmal at everything.

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Be skilled at everything, but disliked by all.

Votes: 40 76.9%

• Total voters
I noticed a loophole in this. Since you are skilled at everything, you are also skilled at making friends, and making people love you, so you can break the system. Everyone would just hate you at first.

I noticed a loophole in this. Since you are skilled at everything, you are also skilled at making friends, and making people love you, so you can break the system. Everyone would just hate you at first.

Or you suck at making friends but you can still get da booty.

Strategically, A is the better option. Your skills don't matter if you're universally despised by society. Sooner or later, someone will simply have you killed.
But I picked B anyway, because B is for badasses. x)

Eh with a personality like mine I really can't go for A, because I can't accept other people doing things for me without paying them back in return somehow. And while being adored does show that people love and care for you, personally it just doesn't feel right to me. I'm also the type of person that believes in "actions speak louder than words", so not being able to do anything that shows your love and appreciation for those around you would drive me nuts without a doubt. Because even if I'm hated, I want people to feel like they can rely on me for whatever they need. So even with a life of solitude, I like feeling useful to those around me so my choice is B.

Both seem unappealing in their own way. I suppose I'd rather be adored and unskilled. I'm not someone who craves people's love and attention, I'm somewhat a loner, but I do get a lot of comfort from knowing that a few people in the world care about me and I wouldn't want that to change. I also don't think that being skilled at everything would be good, it would just mean that you would enjoy things less. Part of enjoying a talent is the feeling of working towards the final outcome. Like playing an instrument, it's not so much being able to play as it is the feeling of pride and accomplishment when you go from playing like an ape to playing like a musician xD

Interesting thing to note. However, making friends is the only thing you can't be skilled at, since people will be highly biased toward you and still hate you regardless.

2nd option, it is an easy question. I am so skilled at everything that I have the skill to make those who hate me love me :D! Ah ha ha!

Wow that's a toughy. Probably A because if everyone hates you what's the point in trying to impress others with skill?

I have real-life experience from both options, and I'd say I prefer 2nd option much over the first one, but wouldn't take either if it were "absolute" outcome (you couldn't have weaknesses or be liked by someone at least). Actually this is how it often goes already - I'm disliked by many, they either love or hate me and if I don't love back, those who adore me will hate me too. :p Never figured out why it is like that, but sometimes it creeps me out.

Of course, social affirmation in addition to my own self-image creates better self-esteem, so I wouldn't dismiss the adoration part completely - but I care very little about it unless it's about more personal relationships and in that case I'd expect respect and understanding, not adoration.
And if I'd be skilled at everything, what would make me to wake up each morning? Self-improvement is what drives me, but if I was perfect already, life would be dull and meaningless, with or without respect from others. There's a lifetime to learn however...

+ I wouldn't stay sane if adored by all - need my personal space.

And if no mix, my choice is still option B. Even as I wouldn't wish for either. I'd just be able to do everything necessary for my living myself with the knowledge! I wouldn't be dependent from others helping me all the time.

Last edited:
Hard question, but I choose the first option. If everyone hates me, there's no point in being amazing at everything, because even if I create gold out of thin air and distribute it to everyone in the plaet, they will still hate me and it wouldn't do any good. But if everyone loves me, even if I'm unable to do anything, everyone on the planet would be commited to help me live on and make me improve.

Option A easily.

The reason why a lot of people try to become skilled at something is often times not for themselves, but for others and to get others to like and admire them. If you're skilled at everything yet everyone still hates you, there's really no point in having those skills.

A is the better option because even though you're terrible at everything, everyone will still support you and and like you, which is all that matters in the end.

I learned the hard way that being good at stuff means crap in the long run if people don't like you. I do good work at my job yet I still managed to somehow "earn" the ire of my boss, while at the same time she gives the people she likes a free pass who do jackshit. It shouldn't be like that, but hey, welcome to the real world where upper management can play favorites without repercussion.

If I was liked by everyone, I don't have to be good at my job. My boss would like me enough to not care.

I'd love to be skilled for once. Although I'm good at things, I'm not really, truly skilled at things.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom