• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Alola Variant Pokemon: Thoughts and Predictions

Favourite Alolan form so far?

• Total voters
Oh, right. The whole Water and Ice relationship has always confused me.
It's Steel/Grass then. The types don't have to make sense. I mean, Alola!Exeggutor is Dragon Type, Giraffarig is Psychic type, Elektross ISN'T Water type.
I was trying to base the type off Onix's features and appearance. Crystal Onix is...well, crystal blue and it can live underwater. So I thought Water/Steel - water for aforementioned properties (also because Onix is blue), steel because of its body.

Alola Exeggutor being Dragon really is random though. A Charizard somewhere must be crying right now.

Onix ashould not be steel thats why we have Steelix ground/steel.
Does everything need to be too similar?
A rock/fairy with Dry skin would work well.

- regular Marowak is a physical attacker will it now blow flames and become a special attacker, special oriented? that makes me wonder how Ninetales and Snowshrew line could change.

Last edited:
I think that Marowak may become Steel/Fire or Fire/Steel. Perhaps it can be explained that the bones Marowak uses has a special property that lets it be tempered with fire similar to tempered metals.

Its skin isn't dry at all, though. I agree with Tsutarja that Steel/Water would make sense considering that it lives underwater.
It's also still more affected by fire types than a Rock/Ground, so Crystal Onix would still be more affected by fire than regular ones if it was that type.

Fire/Steal is a cool typing, but I think that it's likely, given that Alolan Marowak's supposed trainer is on a volcano, that we'll get the standard volcanic typing of Ground/Fire

Which honestly wouldn't be terrible if they just made Marowak fast to compensate.

I do not believe Onix would get a variant or Crystal Onix appearing in the games. That was anime only like the pink pokemon. I do think Marowak would be part Fire. Why else would that trial captain have one?

Alola Regigigas - Fighting with Iron Fist. Due to the climate of Alola and the intense fighting dance move that Regigigas practices, it has change into a more powerful and uncrippling Regigigas. People like to boast this Regigigas is the best.

Last edited:
Onix ashould not be steel thats why we have Steelix ground/steel.
Does everything need to be too similar?
A rock/fairy with Dry skin would work well.

- regular Marowak is a physical attacker will it now blow flames and become a special attacker, special oriented? that makes me wonder how Ninetales and Snowshrew line could change.
I really think Alolan forms shouldn't be given to Pokemon that already have megas.

I really think Alolan forms shouldn't be given to Pokemon that already have megas.

Why not?

Also, according to a certain leak, there is reason to believe there will be at least one that fits that description.

A dark type Noctowl please

Oooh, I'd actually really like it to be Dark/Psychic. Maybe with Levitate?
:)

• A Grass/Normal Trubbish. Because of Alola's respect for nature, they would probably be a lot more careful with their garbage. This Trubbish is based off compost, and is much healthier. The problem is that Trubbish supposedly came from toxic waste and trash bags, but I guess this one can come from a toxic spill that was cleaned up and treated well?
  • Either that, or a Poison/Steel Trubbish that's based off of trash cans.
  • A Dark or Electric/Dark Luxray. Here, it hunts solely at night to sneak up and catch prey. Maybe there's too much competition during the day, or its eyes work better during the night. Its good eyesight and x-ray vision give it a huge advantage.
  • A Ghost/Psychic, Psychic, or Psychic/Fairy Misdreavus. Instead of having a witch theme, it has a medium/shaman/kahuna theme. It would be involved with Alola's culture and history, and may have inspired much of their teachings.
  • Pidove becomes a Rock/Flying rock dove.
  • This one I really like: Pidove becomes a ground-dwelling Luzon and becomes Normal/Psychic or pure Psychic. Because it's timid and doesn't usually like to fly, it developed psychic powers to learn who its enemies are and how to avoid them. It has a special ability to hypnotize those who stare into its crimson breast, bringing it into its fantasy world.

Not saying I really want it to be this way...

But I really think that only Kanto Pokemon will get Alolan forms. Being the 20th anniversary, requiring transfer (like VC) to get old forms, and general attention given to gen 1, etc..... I just believe we will only get Kanto Pokemon Alolan forms. But who knows, maybe I'm wrong haha.

I'd still be happy enough if it's just Kanto 'mons, but I'd be just as happy if we get others as well. Given what we've seen so far, it could be just about anything!

Fire/Steal is a cool typing, but I think that it's likely, given that Alolan Marowak's supposed trainer is on a volcano, that we'll get the standard volcanic typing of Ground/Fire

Which honestly wouldn't be terrible if they just made Marowak fast to compensate.
Assuming stat redistributions are a thing I think there's a solid chance a lot of Marowak's defense will go into Attack and/or Speed. Perhaps this distribution:

60/90/80/50/80/65

Tbh Marowak's stats are all pretty low outside of Defense so this may hinder it more than anything, but we'll just have to see what kind of moves and abilities it gets to see how viable a Fire typing makes it regardless of stats.

But I really think that only Kanto Pokemon will get Alolan forms. Being the 20th anniversary, requiring transfer (like VC) to get old forms, and general attention given to gen 1, etc..... I just believe we will only get Kanto Pokemon Alolan forms. But who knows, maybe I'm wrong haha.
I doubt it. XY was basically a giant, horrifying love letter to Kanto, but they at least included Megas from different regions. Considering SM's set up to be the 20th anniversary and an culmimation of the franchise's efforts, it'd be completely stupid not to include other generations here into the new gimmick.

Though yes, I fully expect Kanto to get preferential treatment again.

They could have Alolan variants from all gens, Johto Megas, Steven Stone to give you the Steel Z-Stone and Phoebe's family, Alolan Shellos/Gastrodon, overworld AND underground secret bases, a Battle Frontier, PokéBall stickers, triple battles and an iconic bridge, and... Kalos really had nothing significant imo
But back on track, I've had some wicked Alolan ideas for other Pokémon that I'll show you all soon

So I just realized that Marowak has its own unique held item...would these be specific to regional variants? I'd imagine a fire Marowak would at least have a different held item.

Perhaps Marowak switches Attack and Special Attack, and gains a new held item that raises its special attack?

I feel like Alolan Marowak (which seems likely to happen) will be a mixed, frail sweeper. It makes sense for it to have both Physical and Special attributes, given the fire dancer theme that is speculated for it.

I do not believe Onix would get a variant or Crystal Onix appearing in the games. That was anime only like the pink pokemon. I do think Marowak would be part Fire. Why else would that trial captain have one?
The games have made multiple shout outs to other Pokemon media. The most obvious is Sir Aaron and Riley, but DPPt also had random NPC's whose Pokemon and names (in the Japanese version) matched movie characters (namely Butler, Diane, and Rebecca).

Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire makes reference to the Mega Evolution anime arc with Steven and his Shiny Beldum:

"Hm… You know, seeing that white beauty there that you travel with… I'm reminded of the Legendary Pokémon Rayquaza, said to descend at the Sky Pillar. I once had a chance to see it face to face. Although, it was a long time ago now… The young man who battled against Rayquaza beside me… I wonder whatever happened to him and that black Charizard of his… Well, regardless–you must go to the Sky Pillar and see what waits for you there. I don't know what you'll find. Be careful."

Then there's also a photo of Archie and Shelly with Jirachi in Shelly's room at the Aqua hideout. While its a clear reference to the Japanese Tanabata festival and the game's original release given the date the photo was taken ("The 7th day of the –th month, –002"), it's only in Team Aqua's hideout and not Team Magma--which is a reference to Archie trying to take control of Jirachi in Pokemon Special.

Not the mention that the entire Alola region and the Island Trials seem like a huge shout out to the anime's Orange Islands arc.

- Islands? Check.
- Unconventional gym format? Check.
- Doing stuff and activities other than battling for badges? Check.
- Alternate forms of Pokemon exclusive to Orange Archipelago? Check.

I'm not saying Gamefreak used the Orange Islands as some sort of inspiration, but there are are some striking similarities.

Of course the key difference is that Orange Islands do have a League, albeit there are only 4 gym leaders (though you do more than just battle them such as climb a mountain, surfing race, target test, etc)

Back
Top Bottom