• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime & Manga General Discussion

It would also require that Scarlet and Violet to be in the planning stage when Journeys was being conceptualized, and the anime staff to know about it and when it comes out.
I assume that the anime staff would be aware of when new games are being developed and when they plan on being released. They have to get the designs for new Pokemon and characters somewhere. I don't think that they learn about the new games at the same time that fans do at least.

I assume that the anime staff would be aware of when new games are being developed and when they plan on being released. They have to get the designs for new Pokemon and characters somewhere. I don't think that they learn about the new games at the same time that fans do at least.
But in this case they would have to have been informed about Scarlet and Violet since 2017-2018, far before the game was even being developed.

But in this case they would have to have been informed about Scarlet and Violet since 2017-2018, far before the game was even being developed.
I don't even think most of us even know the exact planning cycle they go through, so please don't act like you do.

I don't think that was required knowledge for Journeys to be made as an anniversary series. They knew when the 25th anniversary for the anime would be and they most likely knew that the eighth generation would be three years long. For better or for worse, TPCI is pretty set on a generation lasting for three years. That's been the case since the fifth generation and each anime series since BW have been three years long as a result. I don't think that they needed to be psychic or knew about Scarlet/Violet when they started to plan Journeys to figure out when a new generation would begin.

I'm not an expert on how they plan out the anime or when they learn about a new generation, but neither are you. All I can say for certain is that they would be told about new games before fans so that they have time to design new characters, Pokemon and to plan out a new series.

On another subject, I recall someone on this forum once wondering where Ash will leave his Journeys team after the series ends. After the last Oak's lab episode, I think it's pretty safe to say they'll go to Oak's lab to be with the Pokémon friends they made there.
That was most likely me. I think I brought up the possibility of Ash's Journeys team staying at the Cerise Labatory, since they hung out there for most of Journeys, and the Sun & Moon team already set an example by being left at Kukui’s. However, JN114 aired after I made that comment, and that episode does show that the Journeys team is happy hanging around at Oak’s Lab. It could go either way.

Overall, I feel like they would have more of a benefit of staying at Oak’s Lab at this point. Ash’s Journeys team are now world-class Pokémon, and they could help Ash’s other Pokémon with becoming stronger. Staying at the Cerise Lab would let them hang out with Goh’s Pokémon more, which seems to make sense on paper since Ash’s Journeys team is around Goh’s Pokémon more often. However, we see almost no interaction between Ash’s Journeys team and Goh’s Pokémon at all. It basically is just a handful of Cinderace and Lucario interactions. I’m sure Cerise wouldn’t mind looking after Ash’s Pokémon, but there’s little benefit to having Ash’s Journeys team stay with Cerise, when his other Pokémon back at Oak’s could learn a lot through them.

A while ago, I thought Journeys could be something they continue for more than three years, just because its structure made it easy to add on more content if needed.

However, Journeys has since reached a climax on all of its main storylines, so it's safe to say it is, in fact, ending. It could be with JN135, or a little later than that, but if we're following the story correctly, we are in the finale and not in the process of setting up yet more stuff.

And knowing how development for ongoing franchises works, they will have had plans on whatever comes next in motion months ago, with the aim of releasing it not long after Journeys finishes.

Them not revealing those plans could be down to any number of things, but I'm confident "there's no new project" isn't one of them.

One of the most fresh times of the anime would be the beginning of a new series the same week of the games' releases. I am upset about the issues the production team faces, but also I wish the circumstances were sufficient enough to kick it off with a proper Paldea series right at this moment. Therefore the excitement and joy in the anime department is a little disappointing on my behalf. Especially given that I enjoyed the Violet gameplay of mine much more than most other games that came out relatively recently. Funny how Pokémon company actually has the sources to bring out the best of the best, but I guess they do not want to fund the anime more than what it is right now for some reason.

Not perse though.

Don't forget Journeys started off really, really slow, but got excellerated in the second half, which for me implies they at least knew the games were coming late 2020/early 2021, especially since we also got a BDSP promotion arc.

We have seen it in the past as well with USUM... Dusk Lycanroc episode aired a week after it was officially revealed, meaning the anime staff at least knew 8 months beforehand that it existed (We know making one episode is approx 6 months in production, depending on the episode, since i think battle/Pokemon capture episodes take the whole 6 months at least, while the fillers would take less time to produce

So... going off of that, the anime most likely has been informed about SV coming out in 2022 in late 2021 or early 2022, so they can start the planning fases for at least the first 20/25 episodes and start the writing 8/9 months and episode production 6 months before a new series airs.

We know they probably had production issues because of being understaffed, so its possible the episode production/writing took longer than normal as well, which is why Journeys got extended and SV anime is delayed due to those issues affecting both series.

It would also require that Scarlet and Violet to be in the planning stage when Journeys was being conceptualized, and the anime staff to know about it and when it comes out.

Please give a source on these proposed timelines.

I feel like the SV anime will be something of a return-to-form. Paldea heavily emphasizes exploration as a core theme. It would make sense that Ash & his companions will be travelling through the region instead of having a home area like the Pokemon School & Sakuragi Lab. Maybe with periodic stops at the Naranja/Uva Academy since it is near the center of the region.

I think that the multiple different storylines that you can complete in any order you desire will give the writers some freedom to make the story they want to do like they did in SM & JN as they aren't adhered to a strict order of events.

Now that Ash is the strongest trainer in the world, what does he do now? Coincidentally, as shown in the trailers, your only real directive in SV is "Find something to treasure". That idea and theme is perfect for where Ash is as a character.

Last edited:
I feel like the SV anime will be something of a return-to-form. Paldea heavily emphasizes exploration as a core theme. It would make sense that Ash & his companions will be travelling through the region instead of having a home area like the Pokemon School & Sakuragi Lab. Maybe with periodic stops at the Naranja/Uva Academy since it is near the center of the region.

I think that the multiple different storylines that you can complete in any order you desire will give the writers some freedom to make the story they want to do like they did in SM & JN as they aren't adhered to a strict order of events.
I can’t see that happening without a hard reboot.

Trust me, you’ll get none from them. They’re known for spouting off things like that and never actually presenting anything to back it up. It’s a fool’s errand to even ask.
And I'm absolutely fed up with this. Its all baseless assumptions being treated as fact with absolutely nothing to back it up. I'm starting to believe its trolling with the intention to start arguments here.

I can’t see that happening without a hard reboot.

I don't see why that would be necessary. I do see that you (probably) replied before I edited my comment.

But as I added, finding a goal and something to strive for is one of the main themes of SV. That is the perfect continuation for Ash as a character. What does he do now? How does he move forward? Ash is in a very peculiar position. Everybody knows who he is & that will change how he is treated by the people around him. How does he deal with that? Does the fame and popularity go to his head? Or does all the special treatment make him feel alienated? Leon lamented the fact that he felt like he could never get stronger than he was. What if Ash struggled with that feeling, too? How would he get out of that pitfall?

This is the perfect opportunity to dive deeper into Ash as a character. There is no need to reboot him when you have this much potential to utilize him in such an unique way.

Really there's no reason for journeys to continue with Paldea slapped on as that will make the world tour's biggest flaw even bigger. The new region and it's pokemon/character gets shoved aside for the old stuff. That and Journeys is basically almost done. There's nothing more Ash can do with the PWC, Chloe was a wasted character, and if Goh fails to catch Mew, he still has the Project Mew team to travel with.

And that is Serena.
Do you really need to throw her and Amourshipping into every conversation...

Really there's no reason for journeys to continue with Paldea slapped on as that will make the world tour's biggest flaw even bigger. The new region and it's pokemon/character gets shoved aside for the old stuff. That and Journeys is basically almost done. There's nothing more Ash can do with the PWC, Chloe was a wasted character, and if Goh fails to catch Mew, he still has the Project Mew team to travel with.
There's just no logical reason to continue Journeys for another 3-4 years. What's everyone gonna do? Have Ash do another season of the PWC and face Leon again, force a losing streak, then go back to climbing the ranks while facing characters from Paldea that are suddenly competing, all leading up to another battle with Leon? Have Goh break away from Project Mew and go back to just pointlessly catching Pokemon he'll never use? Have Chloe continue to do nothing? There's no logical reason to continue Journeys and simply add Paldea into the mix when all of its storylines are wrapping up. Its time to wrap up and start anew. A new series with a new cast, a new setting, and new storylines.

I don't see why that would be necessary. I do see that you (probably) replied before I edited my comment.

But as I added, finding a goal and something to strive for is one of the main themes of SV. That is the perfect continuation for Ash as a character. What does he do now? How does he move forward? Ash is in a very peculiar position. Everybody knows who he is & that will change how he is treated by the people around him. How does he deal with that? Does the fame and popularity go to his head? Or does all the special treatment make him feel alienated? Leon lamented the fact that he felt like he could never get stronger than he was. What if Ash struggled with that feeling, too? How would he get out of that pitfall?

This is the perfect opportunity to dive deeper into Ash as a character. There is no need to reboot him when you have this much potential to utilize him in such an unique way.
Rebooting the anime gives the writers far more creative freedom in regards to how Ash is handled.

Back
Top Bottom