• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Best Starter Pokemon?

Best Starter?

• Total voters
Re: Best starter Poekmon?

I find it funny because the best STARTER is actually Bulbasaur, yet it has no votes. It has type advantage or resistance for the first 4 gyms therefore making it better than any other starter, as for your Charmander/Cyndaquil fanboys, the poll didn't ask what starter has the best evolutions

Swampert rapes and leaves for dead what is known as RSE. Infernape is nice too. Actually third gen starters overall were pretty bitchin'. If you mean "best" in terms of strength then 3rd gen starters take the cake. 2nd blow, although I love them :).

I find it funny because the best STARTER is actually Bulbasaur, yet it has no votes. It has type advantage or resistance for the first 4 gyms therefore making it better than any other starter, as for your Charmander/Cyndaquil fanboys, the poll didn't ask what starter has the best evolutions

Since when did gym advantages determine how good a starter was? Venusaur blows compared to many other starters. After the first gym you have no right to bitch about your starter type. Misty is no harder with Charmander and Lt. Surge is no harder with Squirtle. And Erika shouldn't count considering she has a Grass/Psychic Pokemon and Bulbasaur has no real advantages over her other Grass/Poison Pokemon.

Last edited:

true. but for the next 4 gyms and the E4, your Ivysaur / Venusaur is almost useless. Meanwhile Blastoise and especially Charizard clean that part of the game up.

Charizard is the best Pokemon ever along with Lucario and Dragonite. If you don't love charmander you have no soul.

Actually I hate charmander, although that's not really hate compared to how much I hate Charizard. And I'm pretty sure I have a soul (I just checked this morning) So your theory doesn't make sense

Charizard is the best Pokemon ever along with Lucario and Dragonite. If you don't love charmander you have no soul.

Then I don't have a soul, because I loathe the Charmander line and Lucario with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns. The only Pokemon I hate more than them are Chimchar and it's evos.

I picked Bulbasaur because it's really bitchin' in-game (type advantage against the last gym, inmunity to Koga's poison and an unofficial advantaage to Loreli is hardly what I'd call useless in the later half of the game. Charizard can't say any of that. All he can say is that he's got a neutrality to the bosses of the late game. Sorry fanboys), it's ridiculously cute as Bulbasaur and insanely useful and enormously versitile as Venusaur (competitively, it's one of, if not the most popular Pokemon in the Underused tier, as opposed to the "mighty" Charizard, who's stuck in the Neverused tier.)

If I could however, I would have picked all of the Grass and Water starters (except Mudkip, I'm just now starting to warm up to it) and Torchic, since I think they're all epic in their own right

Last edited:

Mudkip. It's the very first starter Pokemon I went with. Plus, I liek them.

I went with Bulbasaur. I pretty much agree with everything Envoy has said.

Charmander all the way. My first pokemon EVER and it evolves into Charizard. Nuff' said.

Note: Even though bulbasaur technically is #1 I think that charmander is a better starter

Totodile all the way.I'm a water guy, but Mudkip is my least favorite of the water starters.

Cyndaquil, Spruot Tower, Bugsy, Quilava. 'Nuff said.

HOW COULD YOU?!!!? YOU MADE ME CHOOSE BETWEEN CHARMANDER AND CYNDAQUIL??!! sigh, that was actually a really hard choice, seeing as I love sweepers, and Cyndaquil is one of the best sweeper pkmn, but Charmander's just plain awesome... Still, I chose Charmander, for the awesome factor. And after all... How many starters evolve into a fire-breathing dragon that rocks? That's right; one.

True so very true Charmander's number one whe nit comes to battling but whn you want a little buddy by your side Bulbasaur's my choice

Squirtle just completly kicks everyone's ass when it is a Blastiose. PLENTY said right their.

Cyndaquil... probably.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom