• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Best Starters out of Kanto, Johto, etc.

kanto: squirtle.
can beat 1st gym leader,7th and 8th
water is a really good type cause earth quake and icebeam cancel out weaknesses
johto: cyndaquil
just looks awesome
hoennn: treecko
sceptile is wicked fast and srong
sinnoh: piplup
hes a BAMF

Kanto: Hmm... Kanto starters. They're all good really, but Charmander stands out the most to me.

Johto: Cyndaquil! Typhlosion is a great battler, and totally cute!

Hoenn: Mudkip I guess, but Torchic's cuter

Sinnoh: I dont really like any of them D:

Last edited:
I'm no good at figuring out which are stronger, so these are all just my favorite starters
Kanto = Squirtle.
Johto = Chikorita
Hoenn = Mudkip (I feel so unoriginal)
Sinnoh = Turtwig. I never liked the Sinnoh starters, so I just chose the one I disliked the least.

Kanto: Squirtle. It's fast, and it can beat the first few gyms.
Johto: Cyndaquill.
Hoenn: Treecko
Sinnoh: Turtwig.

I don't really mind for the starters, but mostly I like FIRE TYPE Pokémon.

Kanto: Charmander (Last Evolution Charizard is WICKED COOL)

Johto:Cyndaquil (Last evolution Typhlosion is owny)

Hoenn:Torchic (Last evolution Blaziken, is cool and the wicked of the wicked!!!!!!!!)

Sinnoh:Chimchar (Last evolution Infernape, great FIRE FIGHT type Pokémon.

I love the Fire types too and tey really are IMO the best starters

Kanto: Charmander. no doubt about it it evolves into Charizard which is still one of the strongest pokemon around.

Jhoto: I think its Tododile. But i like Cynadaquil the most cuz of Typhlosion

Hoenn: Torchic. By the end it will make the elite four at the end so much easier.

Sinnoh:: Chimchar. Infernape is a great pokemon

Kanto: Charmander
Johto: Cyndaquil
Hoenn: Torchic (c'mon, it was the cutest one, and Blaziken is the ish)
Sinnoh: Piplup

Kanot: Charmander
Hoenn: Torchic
Sinnoh: Chimchar

Notice something?

Kanto: I have to say that my favourite starter for the first generation and for the remakes is Charmander / Charizard by far. Firstly it has fantastic typing and the highest base stats and the best distribution of the Gen I pokemon by far ( on the one hand it does have the highest stats with 534 compared to Blastoise and Venusaur, but it also has the stat points in all the right places because you need offensive pokemon in the adventure mode not stallers/walls or tanks).

Additionally one must remember that fire pokemon are far rarer than either grass or water pokemon and furthermore this specific combination (fire/flying) can only be found on Moltres or Ho-Oh, which are legendary pokemon that are not easily available and hard to catch. It should also be noted that neither of these two birds are allowed in most areas of competitive play, so it's not only a great pokemon for adventurers but also worth considering as an addition to the team for competitive battlers on places like smogon.

Oh before I forget to mention it, charizard's shiny sprite is simply sick at least in Gen III (it's real black there compared to the dark purple tan it caught in Gen IV). Not a main reason but pretty sweet nonetheless.

Another thing people pointed out is how tough it is to start with, however it's weakness to Brock was remedied in FireRed/LeafGreen with the addition of Metal Claw that one could learn early on, I whizzed through Viridian Forest feeding my Charmander lots of bug pokemon on the way to Brock. I was then easily able to knock him out with Metal Claw powered OHKOs. The ability to learn Fly, Cut, Strength, Defog and Rock Smash is also a plus, although I do rarely teach my starters HMs apart from Surf to Mudkip / Swampert.

Johto: I think it's harder to decide between Totodile or Cyndaquil, although I would tend towards the fire starter. The ability to learn Thunderpunch and lots of other moves (movepool is pretty decent) to counter out water types (a main weakness) and the slightly higher stats put it in lead position. The ease with which you progress through Johto with this also makes it a winner in my book for the PvE part of the game. For competitive play the combo of high Speed combined with Petaya, Blaze, and STAB is deadly.

Hoenn: So, I herd u liek mudkips? Yes I certainly do, the winner is... Mudkip / Swampert. This thing has the highest base stats (535) for any of the final starter evos and only a single weakness (4x grass) to which it can learn an easily available counter in the form of Ice Beam. The four resistances and the immunity to electricity are nothing to frown at, this beast can be used as a tank or a sweeper and do both jobs well. The fact that it can learn the moves Mud Shot, Muddy Water, Surf, Earthquake and Ice Beam is a very scary thing to face and make it friggin awesome in the many double battles you encounter in Gen III.
In my eyes this thing is the best starter and there is a damn good reason it's in OU. I would never choose any other starter in Gen III over this thing. It is superb to say the least and I have never been disappointed since choosing it. I could pretty much rant on this thing for pages upon pages, it's also a pretty funny meme.

I haven't played Sinnoh but from what I have read and seen I think Infernape would be the way I would go. It's basically Blaziken done right and there seem to be little to no Fire types in Sinnoh in contrast to the abundancy of grass and water pokes.

The Grass starters are pretty poor overall and in comparison to the others, I would only ever consider Sceptile and maybe Venusaur from the grass starters and even these aren't that good. Well Sceptile is actually pretty decent to be honest but all the others fail hard especially Meganium...
To add on to my old post having read about Infernape I would definitely say that it is my favourite Sinnoh starter and that I will be choosing a Chimchar when I set off on my quest in Platinum.

Hoenn: Treecko

By cuteness:
Kanto: Squirtle
Hoenn: Torchic

By POWER:
Johto: don't know
Hoenn: Blaziken

Personally
Kanto: Charmander (me and my brothers starter)
Johto: Totodile (reminds me of Steve Irwin)
Hoenn: MUDKIP (read signature)
Sinnoh: Chimchar (Infernape's awesome)

Kanto= Bulbasaur
Johto= Chikorita(it my fav, but it sucks)
Hoenn= Treecko (Hoenn offers the best out of all starters)
Sinnoh= turtwig

Wow, I voted only for grass pokémon

By POWER:
Johto: don't know
Hoenn: Blaziken
Disagree on the choice of Blaziken. Swampert is hell of a lot stronger than the kung fu chicken. As for Johto I am pretty sure Typhlosion is the strongest Johto starters.

kanto: bulbasaur (venusaur makes earth tremble)
johto: chikorita (meganium beauty but dangerous)
hoenn: mudkip (swampert makes thunderbolt useless)
sinnoh: piplup (empoleon steel types make me proud)
unova: snivy (ok... this is the suckess starter ever Ive chosen)

K: Squirtle
J: Cyndiquil
H: Mudkip
S: Turtwig
U: Tepig
K2: Chespin

2 Fire, 2 Water, and 2 Grass. Interesting.

Kanto - Squirtle (I love turtles)
Johto - Chikorita (Cuuute, and I love the whole line)
Hoenn - Treecko (Probably my all time favourite starter atm)
Sinnoh - Turtwig (Mainly because I love Torterra)
Unova - Oshawott (Dislike Samurott though)
Kalos - Froakie (I also love Chespin, so it's a tough choice).

KANTO – Bulbasaur
001MS.png

JOHTO – Cyndaquil
155MS.png

HOENN – Torchic
255MS.png

SINNOH – Piplup
393MS.png

UNOVA – Snivy
495MS.png
(although I prefer Samurott to Serperior)
KALOS - Chespin
650MS.png

Please note: The thread is from 7 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom