• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW067: Fukiyose Gym Air Battle! Challenger Dent!?

An Air Battle, in this context, is when the two trainers reveal all of the Pokémon they'll use in the battle beforehand.

But that's not what an "Air Battle" was established as in the late DP eps with Gliscor...
Also, that wouldn't even make any sense at all to call it an "Air Battle" if that's all there is to it... where's the "air" part in all of that?...

Airing like airing a TV program I guess.

0__o
That's... certainly not the first thing that jumps to mind when you hear "air battle" in relation to a flying type Gym Leader... especially since, as I said, they already established what an "air battle" is before...
Oh well... if it really is supposed to refer to airing somehow, and if it's really wasn't intended to keep up with what they previous called "air battle", then I hope the dub gives it a new name that would make more sense...

This is the first episode in the series, excluding two-parters, that made me want to watch the next episode immediately after. Dento lost! Smack her, Ash!

It seems it was the writers intention for the audience to side with Dent as that came clear to me after watching the subs. I sided with Dent even more after watching it because, my god, the stuff Fuuro said in this episode. I did not want to dislike Fuuro, but if I did meet someone like her in real life they would really disgust me.

Dent, to me, was humbled by actually apologizing for getting into Fuuro's face and yelling at her when he first came up to her. Even when he's mad at a person's actions (disagreeing with what they're doing) he's still a gentleman. Dent wasn't even enraged throughout his battle against Fuuro, he was composed, though overconfident. It was only when Fuuro said a certain line that he got riled up again and this anger, unfortunately, is what led Dent to become even more overconfident in his determination that he, no doubt, would win, teaching Fuuro about the true meaning of being a Gym Leader.

At first I was understanding of Fuuro- Okay she wants time to fly her precious airplanes, I accept that, we all want time to do the things we love. And then came her views on battles and we find out it went beyond just type advantage=win, type disadvantage= lose. She has absolutely no feeling for them, calling passionate battles boring and saying things like "a badge is a badge" and a "loss is a loss". Plus her being cocky and basically thinking she was in the right towards her methods didn't help. It just made Fuuro's character portrayal worse to me, I could hardly view her positively.

And you remember that victory music that played when Fuuro and Swanna gained the upper hand against Dent and Magyo in the end? Well I went from simply being bothered by it to downright hating it. It just didn't work at all, it felt like giving victory to a person with the wrong views. That music only works when the character who the audience are supposed to root for are winning and Fuuro definitely wasn't that. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I really hope the dub has replaced it with their music. Also another reason why that music felt so unfitting is the scene that came before it:

Fuuro and Swanna were trolling during the burn scene just like I pointed out, it wasn't a refusing to fall from this/heart to heart moment, it was just pure trolling. And I'll just explain that scene for the heck of it- Swanna is in pain from being burned by Magyo's Scald, Fuuro looks worried, seems the two of them are in trouble, but then Swanna gives out a sly grin to Fuuro and Fuuro gives it a sly grin back, Swanna laughs like a jerk and Fuuro winks and says "Just kidding!". Basically the two knew they had Aqua Ring in their disposal and were just pretending that it was all over for them.

Thankfully Satoshi managed to change Fuuro's views on Gym battles and made her realize that she can't always be right in her predictions in the following episode which helped prevented me from hating Fuuro. Before that I found her to currently be the worst portrayed Gym leader in this show. Oh and by the way this has nothing to do with me siding with a character because they're my favorite, it's me taking the side of a character because the character who they were trying to teach a lesson to basically came off like a jerk in their views. If something like this happened with, say, Iris I would have said and thought things in a similar way.

By the way, was it just me, or did Iris's presence feel almost non-existent in this episode due to her lack of reaction? It was like I was unable to notice Iris, then suddenly she's there reacting to Dent's "It's Tasting Time!" and then she's not there again. I then noticed Iris's presence again when she reacted to Dent's defeat.

Last edited:
It is kinda odd turning a gym leader into a bad guy when before excluding the fights they had protanginistic roles even in the games. In real life the pokemon league inspection agency would revoke her lisence in two seconds flat. And the problem that air battles solve could be solved with revervations gym trainers and office hours. Also did dent in one sense have the advantage cause he had a rock and electric type and doesn't Skyla beating Muggyo prove that type advanages aren't so simple thus proving air battles wrong. And what with the guy with the fire thing and Sandile losing he could of had stone edge and thunder punch.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom