• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview BW091: Power Battle! Iris vs. Hikari!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: BW092(?): Iris' Dragonite VS Dawn's Mamoswine!

Dragonite = promotion just as Dawn is. They've already given Dawn copious amounts of screentime before this tournament (what was it, 5 whole episodes compared to May's 2 before the Wallace Cup?), so I can see the writers considering that a way of balancing out the "promotion" of Dawn by eliminating her from the tournament. It's not so much Dawn promotion as it is Piplup promotion, anyway. The sooner Dawn gets kicked out of the tournament, the sooner she can sit on the sidelines so Piplup can be there wasting our time. Unless he's actually used in a battle, but we don't have the info for Dawn yet to pass judgment there.

Still, I'm thinking Dawn having this many episodes to feature in isn't a coincidence. Nothing's a coincidence anymore.

And this series is bizarro land anyway. Apply logic to it and the series laughs right back at you.

...wow. Iris is like the worst main character ever.

Dawn better win this.

There is so much wrong with Iris being able to defeat Georgia with her newly caught Dragonite and now, they're having her face off against Dawn. I really hope that Mamoswine can take it down. I do not want to see Iris defeat Dawn. There's really no reason for Iris to defeat her story-wise like there was for Dawn to defeat May in the Wallace Cup. I really don't want to see Iris win the tournament since she really doesn't deserve it in my opinion, whether or not she uses Dragonite the whole time. It probably isn't too likely given how much the writers favor her, but I'm on team Dawn all the way now.

Trip has reason to battle Adler considering it has been built up all serious. However, just like the Legend Badge was changed for BW2 advertisement I wouldn't be surprised if this showcases Iris. Reason being in the games, from what I've heard, Alder apparently opted to battle Iris, to see if she was worthy as the next champion. Iris ultimately won of course.

So, I could easily see them justifying Iris battling Adler here for the purposes of BW2 crap.

Also, that would potentially mean Iris would be the supposed "new rival", as well. So yeah, I'm calling Trip or Iris to win here. Leaning more towards the latter because of the aforementioned BW2 advertisement.

As a general note, most popular girl discussion can go to a new thread and discussion of Smash Bros is not suitable for the Anime forum in the slightest.

The posatives...

+ Burgundy is here
+ Leavanny is being used
+ Mamoswine is battling Iris, wheather she wins or looses, for goodness sake skin Piplup alive
+ Cinnccino, obviouosly Bianca's.

The negatives...

- Georgia looses
- Iris uses Dragonite again
- OMG I still can't believe they gave her a Dragonite. crfgiuhytsrtyuio
- Burgudy gets a Darmanitan. It is the most boring thing ever.
- Pansage being used agaist a COD, it'll probs be an unmemorable 1 min thing. Pansage needs somthing good after such devestaing losees to Swoobat and Sawk. Being used in the first round probaly means Crustle or Stunfisk will get the next, not that I'm complaining about that but Pansage needs somthing.

Dragonite = promotion just as Dawn is. They've already given Dawn copious amounts of screentime before this tournament (what was it, 5 whole episodes compared to May's 2 before the Wallace Cup?), so I can see the writers considering that a way of balancing out the "promotion" of Dawn by eliminating her from the tournament. It's not so much Dawn promotion as it is Piplup promotion, anyway. The sooner Dawn gets kicked out of the tournament, the sooner she can sit on the sidelines so Piplup can be there wasting our time. Unless he's actually used in a battle, but we don't have the info for Dawn yet to pass judgment there.

You do realize that no matter how much the writers glorify Iris, that Dawn herself was pretty much treated as the writers favorite child? This is the same Dawn who was a co-star and is getting the longest cameo of all the previous main girls.

Do you really think after all the promotion Dawn herself got, that she'll come back to lose early in the second round of a tournament...being background material for the next 2 or so episodes?

Remember when I said back in the EP90 preview thread that the writers are pulling off bullshit with Iris?

Yes.

First off, if Beartic can't beat Dragonite, then Mamoswine can't beat Iris.

Then if Iris wins, she will maybe be able to battle the Elite 4, beat Alder, and become the champion.

...I will consider this the worst series to date if they make Iris champion.

No. The worst writing ever in the decade in an anime series.

And if this is the way Dawn is treated, like how May was treated, then...stupid writers.

Last edited:

I guarantee the #1 reason Dawn is getting to cameo this long in BW is Piplup. Because Japan fucking loves that obnoxious little snot.

Sure, Dawn is popular in her own right, but as far as the marketing department is concerned, Piplup was their golden goose. It got top billing in the first episode Dawn and Piplup officially returned, even though that battle didn't have much to do with the episode itself.

If this tournament allows for one Pokemon only, that means Mamoswine is going to be in every battle Dawn participates in. And Piplup won't.

I don't think it's a stretch to say that, as far as the staff doing the show is concerned, Piplup is infinity times more important than Dawn. I'm sure they were weeping when they tried to pull something similar with Oshawott, while it isn't identical to Piplup (thank god), had the same tendency to nab more screentime than it needed. They really fucking missed that penguin.

So I think the writers won't think twice about blowing Dawn out of this tournament, which, she really has nothing to gain from it herself since it has absolutely nothing to do with her pursuits and since it's battling and not a Contest, losing won't really reflect as badly on Dawn as it would if it were the case. If this is anything like the Don Battles, there's bound to be shitloads of character interactions so Dawn (and more importantly Piplup) will get to be featured in those bits if she does lose. And like I said, Dragonite itself is part of the marketing scheme for BW2, and like it was said above, having Iris storm through this tournament where Alder is present much more closely resembles a marketing gimmick for the sequel games where... y'know, Iris is the CHAMPION and earned that title from defeating ALDER.

That said, I think all of this is crap and I would much prefer having Dawn win this because Iris shouldn't have even gotten past Georgia and doesn't need to trash any more characters and trivialize this whole tournament with her overpowered pseudo-legendary she just got the other day ago.

But I'm not about to delude myself into thinking anything will be working sensibly here. That would just get my hopes up and annoy me even more than I am already. This is not the series to be expecting any form of logical story or character progression (ESPECIALLY from Iris); I think the writers have made that very clear by now.

I'm really glad that Mammo is battling here. Always liked the guy and was a bit worried that Pochama would have all the battles.

I'm guessing this is why we see it having a battle with Chaoboo in an earlier ep as training.

The only way her story could possibly develop here by fighting Dawn is by losing to her. Iris has more to gain by losing to Dawn than beating her Mamoswine from a story-wise perspective. Since Iris is apparently not quitting the tournament even though her Dragonite is doing all the work for her, I'm hoping that she gets curbstomped badly. Preferably in front of Drayden too. The humiliation would be too sweet. Georgia will probably stay there to see the shitwrecked Iris be sad with a Dragonite that she can't even control. It probably won't happen, though.

Re: BW093(?): Iris' Dragonite VS Dawn's Mamoswine!

If this indeed is true, then I officially declare the writers prejudice towards all female characters with Purple hair(and no Harley does not count since he beat May once)
lol

Cabernet and Urara should get together and fume over how they've been handled. The fact that Cabernet consistently gets shat upon by the writers for no reason makes me believe that BW2 is going to be no better and possibly worse than BW. Can she just make it past the first round for once? Can she maybe make it a few rounds? Is that too much to ask for?

I too am on Hikari's side in this battle; Mammoo is great and I'd like to see a Pokémon with a dual type advantage win for a change. (wishful thinking?)

(And I am disappointed that Washibon and Wargle still have not made their cameos yet outside of the movie.)

Last edited:

Ahhh, I can't wait to see Mammo again!!! He was always my favorite of Hikari's Pokemon. And to see him battle in a tournament like this, not a sparkly Contest battle? Against a Kairyu? YES. Unfortunately, I don't think he'll win, given what seems to have happened in the previous episode, but it'll be really fun to watch him in a legitimate battle against a high level Pokemon. I haven't been this excited over a battle in a long time.

As far as the whole Shaga appearing at the tournament thing...if he really is there, there's one of two outcomes I see for Iris. I think the only purpose of him being there (besides, I don't know, making an appearance at an important thing because gym leader reasons) would be for him to see how far Iris has come since the time she battled him. (I wonder if he would even remember her?) I can't see her completely embarrassing herself in front of him again, especially because from these titles we're getting, it seems Kairyu is listening to her just fine.

And Chillaccino in the anime, finally~ If it's battling, I can only imagine how creepy it's "Tickle" move is going to be with it's scarf...

No Bel or Kenyan, though? Disappoint :< But this might make room for some interesting new rivals and more interactions between the ones we are already familiar with.

Dragonite and Iris are a big marketing project for BW2, so I don't see them losing to the likes of a Mamoswine.

Dawn and Piplup have gotten more than enough exposure for their return, therefore losing here makes sense.

You know, the weird thing is, back when Iris was revealed to be champion about a month ago, I was fine. In those 2 years, I can understand Iris got stronger over time, and got a level in badass. In the anime...what? No timeskip, none, Axew gets Giga Impact and defeats Cynthia's fucking Garchomp, something Paul, one of the most well-loved trainers ever, could not beat, and now Iris's new Dragonite, that can't obey Iris, defeats Langley's Beartic?

If Iris can beat Ash's old Pokémon, like Infernape and Charizard, then this series would pass BW1 and maybe Johto in terms of horribleness.

Iris has a dragonite? And she beats langley?

...I'm glad I dropped BW after the first don battle.

Let's just focus on the events of this episode. We don't need to hypothetical Iris beating Lizardon or other scenarios as they're really unfounded and likely to annoy those who don't think a summary of an episode means her character is unbeatable.

What the freakin heck? Another freakin Iris episode? We want to see other characters too in this tournament, not just her thanks though freakin writers!! I'm not just talking about Ash, I'd like to see Dento in a fight too. Plus Iris using Dragonite in another Iris episode is not cool, what happened with your other Pokemon? You just going to let them sit in your Pokeballs now that you got yourself a new powerful Pokemon? On top of all that, they have her battle Dawn? I'm so freakin angry at this. Clearly the writers love Iris, making this the second tournament to be about her, but they are doing it all wrong making fans more ticked at her than before, way to go!

The characters aren't using the same Pokemon each battle. Ash has been confirmed to be using Leavanny in one of the battles and I doubt that will be used in every match.

Dawn's final battle in this tournament WILL probably involve Piplup, probably to whoever she loses to. But for now Mamoswine is bound to get a win.

Axew gets Giga Impact and defeats Cynthia's fucking Garchomp
Axew defeated Cynthia's Garchomp?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!! WHERE? WHICH EPISODE?

omfg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom