• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Characters and Plot

Maybe Calum/Serena will be treated like Hugh in that they don't receive a Pokemon from the professor, but rather bred (or in this case received earlier since they come across as the veteran of the group in the early screenshots) their own. Since they're supposed to be the counterpart to the player they could actually have the same starter you pick. I would say Trevor and Shauna receive the two starters you don't pick, and Tierno gets a normal Pokemon like Wally. In fact, since Tierno is the one with the more specific goal of dance, maybe his focus is the region's mini-game. Maybe we'll get a mini-Pokemon rhythm game. GameFreak did develop that HarmoKnight game for the 3DS...

Maybe Calum/Serena will be treated like Hugh in that they don't receive a Pokemon from the professor, but rather bred (or in this case received earlier since they come across as the veteran of the group in the early screenshots) their own. Since they're supposed to be the counterpart to the player they could actually have the same starter you pick. I would say Trevor and Shauna receive the two starters you don't pick, and Tierno gets a normal Pokemon like Wally. In fact, since Tierno is the one with the more specific goal of dance, maybe his focus is the region's mini-game. Maybe we'll get a mini-Pokemon rhythm game. GameFreak did develop that HarmoKnight game for the 3DS...
We've already had dancing in the games. I hope Tierno references Super contests. Unova had an expanded version of the super contest's visual competition, perhaps Kalos will have an expanded dance competition.

Also, Tierno apparently means tender?

So Viola is the first gym leader in this game. And using Bug-types at that. Has it been mentioned where she will reside for her gym leader duties?

Santalune City. I wonder what other bug type Pokémon she uses besides the Vivillon line...

Ah, Ok. I was hoping that her gym would have been in the forest judging from the images we've seen of her gym. The theory I had was that she would be something like a researcher or photographer who had set up camp in the canopy of the forest to get some firsthand experience with wild bugs. I got the idea from those rainforest researchers who did the same thing in the Amazon. There base was shaped like a web to catch falling debris and insects. I couldn't find a picture of the web-shaped one they used but here's a similar one in use in Madagascar:
707523_020.jpg

So I haven't really seen anyone talk about this.

Shauna.PNG
You get to name your character and nickname your character. Notice the nickname is also 9 characters long? Hopefully this means the character names have lengthened. I'd like to think its at least 10 characters long.

In commemoration of the new fairy types, I kind of want to name my character Oberon and have Shauna nickname me "Fairy king" because of reasons.

Kind of random, but I like that the rivals get their own colored text boxes.

View attachment 87689
You get to name your character and nickname your character. Notice the nickname is also 9 characters long? Hopefully this means the character names have lengthened. I'd like to think its at least 10 characters long.

In commemoration of the new fairy types, I kind of want to name my character Oberon and have Shauna nickname me "Fairy king" because of reasons.

I know it's weird but I would name myself Xavier (the official PC name) and nickname myself with my real name.
See, I never know whether to name myself the official name or to give it my own name, so this'll be killing two birds with one stone.

Huh... I didn't think of that. When I first read that I passed it off as just "we moved the character naming section to a cutscene."

It'll be sorta neat then if that is the case. I can be "Joey, Garbage master" aha

View attachment 87689

I know it's weird but I would name myself Xavier (the official PC name) and nickname myself with my real name.
See, I never know whether to name myself the official name or to give it my own name, so this'll be killing two birds with one stone.

Is it like Join Avenue in BW2 where you can set up a different name you want everybody to call you by?

View attachment 87689

Is it like Join Avenue in BW2 where you can set up a different name you want everybody to call you by?

Kinda, but I think it's just between those five characters

Uwah, that's super cute!! Coming up with cute names is one of my favorite parts of starting a new game so coming up with a nickname too will be great!

Personally, I'm loving these new characters, even if we have yet to see the professor or villain team yet, but Currently, there's one thing that bothers me, and that is just how many rivals you have

For one thing, there are four rivals: Shauna, Trevor, Tierno, and Calum/Serena, that would make 5 trainers starting from Vaniville, those four and the player, but yet there are only three starters: Chespin, Fennekin, and Froakie. We obviously know we get one of those three, Calum/Serena will get the starter stronger than the one the player chooses, and one of the three other rivals will get the third starter, but what will the other two get, that's what concerns me. Do the other two get regular Pokemon from the wild like Wally did with his Ralts in the Gen 3 games, or is there a second set of Kalos starters we don't know about, like we will be able to choose one and they will get the other two.

Here's an example and how this theory of mine works: I'm planning on choosing Chespin, that would mean Serena (since I am going to be the male character) will have Fennekin as her starter, so that means either Shauna, Trevor, or Tierno will get Froakie. As for the other two people, that is where what I like to call "Kalos Starter Set B" comes into play, at some point early in the game (around the time before or after the first Gym), you will obtain one of the second starters, but rather than just picking which one you get, you will obtain the B starter in the manner you first receive the Elemental Monkeys in BW1, which is the type your starter is strong against:

If you chose Snivy, you got Panpour
If you chose Tepig, you got Pansage
If you chose Oshawott, you got Pansear

Kalos Starter Set B would work in a similar way to the above:

If you choose Chespin, you get Water Starter B
If you choose Fennekin, you get Grass Starter B
If you choose Froakie, you get Fire Starter B

On a related topic, Trevor gives you the Pokedex, which makes me think he might be the son or Younger brother of the Professor, the hints are there.

Alternatively, the "B" starter set could be dark-psychic-fighting, if those are indeed the primary set's secondary types on evolution.

View attachment 87689

That. Is. Adorable.
this feature is perfect fuel for my ships aaaaahhhhhhhh

I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but I wonder what region the player character is originally from. A few people have already noted the similarity to RSE, where Brendan/May and their parents moved to Hoenn and were originally from Johto.

I had a theory that Calem/Serena (player character, not rival) could be from Unova, and their family decided to move during Team Plasma's second attempt of taking over Unova in B2/W2. I can see why some people would want to leave Unova...I mean, entire cities getting frozen over? Perhaps they were even from Opelucid City, which gets frozen over during B2/W2. I didn't take into account the possible time gap between B2/W2 and X/Y, so I'm not sure how this would work out. Feel free to ignore this theory. :D

They could be from one of the other regions (except Johto), or they could be from an unknown region.

Personally, I'm loving these new characters, even if we have yet to see the professor or villain team yet, but Currently, there's one thing that bothers me, and that is just how many rivals you have

For one thing, there are four rivals: Shauna, Trevor, Tierno, and Calum/Serena, that would make 5 trainers starting from Vaniville, those four and the player, but yet there are only three starters: Chespin, Fennekin, and Froakie. We obviously know we get one of those three, Calum/Serena will get the starter stronger than the one the player chooses, and one of the three other rivals will get the third starter, but what will the other two get, that's what concerns me. Do the other two get regular Pokemon from the wild like Wally did with his Ralts in the Gen 3 games, or is there a second set of Kalos starters we don't know about, like we will be able to choose one and they will get the other two.

is'nt it possible that some of the rivals ALREADY have there own pokemon, and do not need one of the starters? Like maybe someone got them a pokemon when they were a kid, blah blah blah.

^Why couldn't they be from Johto?

Well I guess it can still be a possibility, but Brendan/May are originally from Johto, so I doubt they'd use Johto twice.

For me, Unova and Kanto are the two most likely possibilities. I thought of Unova first, because it's the region from the previous generation, similar to Johto. Kanto is also a possibility because of Mewtwo's new forme and the theme of genetics.

I'd prefer they'd leave it ambiguous then reveal next generation that the PC was from that region. Though, the family has a Rhyhorn, so I'd assume they'd come from wherever Rhyhorn is natively found--Kanto and Sinnoh. I'd lean towards Sinnoh because Kanto's Rhyhorn population was limited to the Safari Zone.

My best guess would be Veilstone City.

is'nt it possible that some of the rivals ALREADY have there own pokemon, and do not need one of the starters? Like maybe someone got them a pokemon when they were a kid, blah blah blah.

The official site says they will all get a Pokemon. I'd assume that means they wouldn't already have one.

The official site says they will all get a Pokemon. I'd assume that means they wouldn't already have one.

but the character designs YELL Shauna will get a Gothita and Tierno will get a Vanillite. The other two, I guess they'll get the starters you didn't choose.

BTW, Tierno is sort of Spanish for "cute", so I lol'd when I saw his name.

Ah, Alexa is hot as hell, I think I have my fav female character by now.

Last edited:
Where was it stated that the player character is from another region? I don't see it on the official website.

I'd lean towards Sinnoh because Kanto's Rhyhorn population was limited to the Safari Zone.
I doubt that Game Freak associate Rhyhorn with Sinnoh just because of that. Also, Rhyhorn can be found in Victory Road in the Johto games.

Kanto would be my guess not just because of Rhyhorn, but more importantly because of the Kanto starters. They're likely to be in the games due to the pamphlet that advertised them alongside the Kalos starters.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom