• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

CoroCoro Thread (Not for XY Anime Discussion)

Re: CoroCoro Discussion Thread

Well to recap what I said earlier, I was definitely right when I said that the "scoop of the century" was definitely going to catch everyone off guard, be it good or bad. I'm still kind of meh about the Mega Evolutions, but the new Pokemon reveals kind of made up for that, so I'm content in a way.

Although speaking of power creep, the introduction of Megas does seem to make the competition more terrifying, more so than Stealth Rock, which was what turned me away from competitive play to begin with. I mean, just hearing that Mewtwo gets a boost in Special Attack when it already has some good Sp. Attack does not sound very comforting to anyone who should face against it. That said, I hope these get their own tier in a way. I don't really want to face them in battle, though the gym leader would suggest that either way, I am going to.

I always thought Mewtwo's new form was going to get a speed boost since a) it fights the speedy Genesect in the 16th movie and b) it seemed pretty speedy in the anime special where it debuted. Although it can still be speedy, making Mewtwo into a speed/sp.atk focused 'mon similar to Attack/Speed Deoxys.

Hopefully my local Walmart (don't have a GameStop or anything like that) stocks it on their shelves early in the morning. I really hope my friends go physical so I'm not behind.
Walmart should have it out a bit after midnight on October 12th, if it's a 24 hour Supercenter. They should have it on the shelves at 12:01AM, IIRC. (I work at one, in case you were wondering.) So if you want it badly enough, you can pop on in pretty danged early to get it.

As for the current CoroCoro issue:

Mega. Evolutions. Whoa, I did not see that one coming. I'm liking the MegaLucario and MegaBlaziken; kinda on the fence about Amphy and Absol. Digging Mawile, though.

What would make for an awesome twist? This will only happen if the Pokemon is holding the item in question and its happiness is maxed. In other words, your Pokemon is doing this because it loves you and it's trying its best to get the win for you.

Got to wonder who else will get the Mega Evolution treatment. I know who I'd like to see... :naughty: (Come on, GF! Don't make me beg over here!)

If this is how excited everyone gets when a magazine is about to leak a bit of information in two days, I can't imagine everyone's excitement level once we're only a day away from the game's release.
Yeah, we'll all be going out of our minds, trust me. Or at least I will.

I'm kind of wondering though, will this be the last issue regarding XY pre-release info? Sure it's August now, but the leak just now was of the September issue. With XY being released fairly early'ish in October, I kind of wonder if they will be bothering.

If this is how excited everyone gets when a magazine is about to leak a bit of information in two days, I can't imagine everyone's excitement level once we're only a day away from the game's release.
You won't see much.

ERROR- The servers are currently full. Try again later.

And when you finally get in and try to go to a thread...

now i want a mega mawile, it will be awesome with huge power its base attack is 85 and with huge power it gets 170 and puts it on the lvl of black kyurem, give it a good fairy attack and sword dance and no dragon will survive.

it will be awesome with huge power its base attack is 85 and with huge power it gets 170 and puts it on the lvl of black kyurem

Base stats don't work like that. Huge Power doesn't double the Base Stat, it double the actual stat. So if your level 100 Mawile has 295 Attack, when it Mega evolves and gains Huge Power it will have 590 Attack. Even Deoxys-A with its Base 180 Attack only has 504 Attack when maxed at level 100, so it's much much higher than Black Kyurem which sits at 482 max. Downside is, Black Kyurem can hold items such as Life Orb and Choice Band, whereas Mega Mawile will presumably have to hold its Mega Stone, so Black Kyurem probably ends up hitting harder.

Still, 590 is massive and Mega Mawile is going to hit damn hard.

Just think about this guys. There is only one CoroCoro left before release.

...Y'know, as big and game-changing all this news is, I still had my heart set on learning a bit more about the Kalos Starters (their second stages) and that Orotto monster.

Walmart should have it out a bit after midnight on October 12th, if it's a 24 hour Supercenter. They should have it on the shelves at 12:01AM, IIRC. (I work at one, in case you were wondering.) So if you want it badly enough, you can pop on in pretty danged early to get it.

Thanks :) Actually, I talked to my friend about it, and he told me that he's gone to our local walmart for new releases at midnight. You just have to ask a worker to get the game for you at midnight since they don't put it on shelves til morning, but they do have copies behind the counter :D So I'll be there on the evening of October 11th until midnight to pick it up as soon as midnight hits!

As for Corocoro: Well then, we certainly got the scoop of the century. I don't really like Mega Evolutions, but I'll accept them no matter how stupid they are.

EDIT: However, I'm surprised that Orotto wasn't shown :-| I was expecting at least Official artwork and maybe an ability like the three that were shown.

Me likes Huge Power Mawile even more now that I think about the end result.

I wonder if a mega evolution's ability is affected by alternate abilities, or if the new ability will be the same regardless of the original ability. In any case, my precious Mawile and Absol are both coming over from Black. (Well, I was going to transfer them anyway since they are two of my most beloved companions, but now I'll have to take them out and have some fun)

Last edited:

Its DW ability pushed him all the way to the Über tier.
So, eh, what exactly is so Uber about Blaziken striking first? But yeah, Stealth Rock definitely needs to . . . go away . . . .

+ On the other hand, I didn't want Absol to get a regular evo, I love it too much to be forced to choose whether to evolve it for the sake of more power.
I know what you mean, I never believed Absol should get an evolution either. But when I saw the CoroCoro page and its new mega form, I really was in a mental jawdrop thinking "that's impossible -- they gave Absol an evo and it does him JUSTICE!" It doesn't go for all those bladed dark horrible looking things out there (no offense to the artists), it actually strikes me as a sort of 'guardian angel' theme, very very appropriate for the Pokemon who warns others about impending disasters. Plus, the wings and leg featherings really make my inner Okami fanboy geek out.

Last edited:

So, eh, what exactly is so Uber about Blaziken striking first? But yeah, Stealth Rock definitely needs to . . . go away . . . .

+ On the other hand, I didn't want Absol to get a regular evo, I love it too much to be forced to choose whether to evolve it for the sake of more power.
I know what you mean, I never believed Absol should get an evolution either. But when I saw the CoroCoro page and its new mega form, I really was in a mental jawdrop thinking "that's impossible -- they gave Absol an evo and it does him JUSTICE!" It doesn't go for all those bladed dark horrible looking things out there (no offense to the artists), it actually strikes me as a sort of 'guardian angel' theme, very very appropriate for the Pokemon who warns others about impending disasters. Plus, the wings and leg featherings really make my inner Okami fanboy geek out.

Never underestimate the power of striking first. It can make all the difference in the world.

On the Official Website, there is now only one section left with any "???"s, so I'm assuming we're going to learn about one final big thing next month.

Wasn't there someone who dug into the code of the website and found what all 4 sections were? Where's that picture?

On the Official Website, there is now only one section left with any "???"s, so I'm assuming we're going to learn about one final big thing next month.
Where do you see that?

So, eh, what exactly is so Uber about Blaziken striking first?
Never underestimate the power of striking first. It can make all the difference in the world.
No, I get that part already (e.g. Flinch moves only work when you're faster, OHKO means you avoid damage), I'm asking why does that make Blaziken an Uber? It doesn't make Espeon an Uber....

Last edited:

Where do you see that?
On the top bar, between "PGL" and "News".

Where do you see that?

So, eh, what exactly is so Uber about Blaziken striking first?
No, I get that part already (e.g. Flinch moves only work when you're faster, OHKO means you avoid damage), I'm asking why does that make Blaziken an Uber? It doesn't make Espeon an Uber....
Speed Boost is a free +1 Speed at the end of every turn. Blaziken's Base 80 speed kept it from being a serious threat, but with the constant speed boosts, it means that very little will have a chance to out-speed Blaziken after a boost or two (which can be easily achieved with Protect), which mixed with its high attacking stats and balanced movepool, make it a serious threat. Compare this to Espeon, who has a severely restricted movepool. Blaziken's STAB moves also hit quite a few commonly used Pokémon for super-effective damage, unlike Espeon.

Then, put Blaziken under the sun as well.

Last edited:

I think I know why the site didn't update with all of Coro Coro's scoop yet. It wasn't officially out in Japan yet, but they needed to introduce Mega-Evolutions before the VGC so that they can reveal Mega Kangaskhan. They could have just revealed Mega Evolution there, but they're aware that we know about Coro Coro so probably wanted something unique for the event. Therefore they revealed Mega Evolution before Coro Coro's official release, giving Coro Coro exclusive information on Mega Evolutions for Mawhile, Ampharos, and Absol, while giving the VGC exclusivity for Mega Kangaskhan.

I image the site will update again shortly reflecting Coro Coro's reveals as well as Mega Kangaskhan.

I wonder if all the starters will get a Mega Evolution, who will get Mega Evolutions, and if any will be revealed in the next CoroCoro?

I really Like Mega Blaziken, Mega Lucario, Mega Ampharos and Mega Mewtwo. I find it interesting that when Ampharos Mega Evolves it gains Dragon-type.

Back
Top Bottom