• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime Do you remember the first anime you watched?

In terms of 'Hey, let's watch some anime' it would probably be Ouran High School Host Club back in late 2008, prompted by an online friend I don't talk to anymore. Sometime in 2007/08, I watched an awful lot of Sailor Moon, though . . . I just can't remember when. So that might be my first. I didn't really start watching Pokemon until a couple of years ago tbqh.

When I was a kid, though, Zoids and Beyblade were my shows, and I loved them to bits. I didn't identify them as 'anime', though, which is why I'm not really sure whether to count them.

Hmm...It was either Zatch Bell or Yu-Gi-Oh. Also, I'm pretty sure the first anime I watched on the internet was Fullmetal Alchemist (the old one).

When I was a kid, I was a big cartoon fan. Through various cable channels, there were a lot of odd cartoons that I saw, from various parts of the world. As for things animated in Japan, the first one that I can remember seeing was this show that Nickelodeon would show back in the mid 1980's called The Mysterious Cities of Gold.

English OP: Mysterious Cities of Gold - YouTube
Japanese OP: Taiyō no ko Esteban - Générique japonais des Mystérieuses Cités d'Or (1982) - YouTube

As for any other anime, I am sure that I had seen some before that, but most often shows would not be presented as "this is from *insert country here*," but just as a cartoon, so it is only now that I am able to research the shows that actually stand out in my mind, and learn their countries of origin, and this is the only series that stands out in my mind from all those years ago that was Japanese in origin (well, Japanese and French, an odd combination).

As for later, getting into Anime as Anime, with full knowledge that I was watching an animated feature that was Japanese in origin, I would have to say Akira. When I was in college, a guy down the hall had a huge vhs collection of movies that he taped off HBO and other cable channels, and he lent me a copy of Akira one day. That was quite a ride, and definitely a film that I would recommend.

Sailor Moon--I was at a friend's house and wanted to watch TV. Came in in the middle of an episode and no clue who was who or what the heck was going on. Back then, they only showed the first two seasons, but one online search later, I discovered there was more than what I was seeing on TV. The rest is history.

Sailor Moon, DBZ, Cardcaptors, Digimon...and Pokemon, of course!

I also watched Inuyasha and YYH when it was all on Adult Swim so I consider those some of my first anime as well.

Pokemon. Definitely. Those times with Ash, Misty and Brock...

Pokemon kinda fits in my criteria as well. While Sailor Moon is technically one of the earliest anime I've watched, I remember myself crying over the TV because Sailor Moon and Pokemon had aired at two different channels at that exact same time slot - and I wanted to watch both :D Meh - I got to watch a re-airing of the entire pokemon episodes anyways. XDD

I think my first anime was Hello Kitty and Friends (which included other characters such as Keropii), which I would watch early in the morning just before the school bus came to take me to kindergarten. I actually still like that anime to this day.

The first anime I remember ever seeing was part of the Gundam series. Along with that, I occasionally watched anything CN showed during the daytime back in the early 2000s. The first anime I completed, however, was the original Fullmetal Alchemist anime.

Well, I think it's Doraemon. Initially, I didn't know that it's from Japan, because with the characters talking Malay (it's a dub), I didn't know, until I saw a Japanese flag. I thought that the Japanese flag was used because it's easy to draw (seriously, it is!), but I later found out that Doraemon originated from Japan.

Surprised that no one watched Doraemon first, though.

Thanks for reading.

Back then, I didn't distinguish between Western cartoons and anime, so I treated them all as one and the same. I don't recall which one was truly the first, but the anime I used to watch as a kid were...

~ Chou Denji Machine Voltes V
~ Anime Oyako Gekijou and Pasokon Travel Tanteidan (aka Superbook)
~ Hyakujuu Oh Golion (aka Voltron: Defender of the Universe)
~ Tetsuwan Atom (aka Astroboy; Dunno which series though)
~ Tondera House no Daibouken (aka The Flying House)

Surprised that no one watched Doraemon first, though.
I'm not certain, but does Doraemon even have a dub for English speakers? I've only ever seen Doraemon here in Japan, never back home.

When I was young, Doraemon's second anime series (1979) would've still been fairly new (even to Japan), so no surprise why it wouldn't have been a first for me, given my age; espeically if a dub of it didn't exist yet.

I'm not certain, but does Doraemon even have a dub for English speakers? I've only ever seen Doraemon here in Japan, never back home.

When I was young, Doraemon's second anime series (1979) would've still been fairly new (even to Japan), so no surprise why it wouldn't have been a first for me, given my age; espeically if a dub of it didn't exist yet.

I didn't quite hear of any English dubs of Doraemon, if you mean the ones distributed to the west. I have a VCD with an English dub of Doraemon though (the one about Momotaro Nobita, basically a kind of retelling of the famous Momotaro story), even though its dub quality might not be good compared to many dubs (like Pokemon).

Thanks for reading.

Pokémon, Digimon, Sailor Moon and Magic Knight: Rayearth when I was little, but I didn't think of them as anime instead of cartoon in general. Neon Genesis Evangelion was the first anime I watched while fully aware of it being anime, at age 12.

Back
Top Bottom