• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you want them to have tournaments in the XY anime?

No, I really don't want tournaments like the ones we had in BW in XY. I'd much rather have a side quest for the female character to participate in instead. The tournaments were a good idea, but like a quite a few concepts in BW, it was poorly executed. The only way I could possibly be okay with keeping those tournaments would be if they mad drastic changes with them like not making all rounds completely one-on-one matches, not rushing through the battles and not having cheap wins. Even if they did improve them, I'd prefer a sidequest for the female character since that could be more interesting.

I liked the tournaments but I agree with above post about that they should make them a bit more different than before.

Given the nature of the show, tournaments are pretty much inevitable, and not just at the league. They should at least let Ash win a couple, like they did back in the good ol' days. And maybe a few other types of competitions, like races and stuff.

I wouldn't mind more tournaments as long as they are different from the ones in BW. I was pretty much fine with every tournament except the Junior Cup. Please none that limit the number of Pokémon you can use. All of those 1 on 1 battles got boring pretty fast. Maybe a double battle tournament or another tag team one like in Sinnoh. Also, no rushed tournaments like the Junior Cup. I'd like to see everyone have their full battles shown.

If they are executed like the ones in BW, then hell no. But if they are of a much higher standard than those pieces of crap, than bring them on.

Definitely chuck in some double's tournaments. Those battles are usually fun. 1 on 1's got old very fast

I'd prefer something like Sinnoh instead, where they had the Hearthome City Double Battle Contest. That was really interesting and fun to watch. Although, with the new features in XY, I would really love to see 'beauty' contests (Amie), dance contests, and racing tournaments implemented in the anime.

Overall, no. Please no 'Don-Tournaments' in XY.

This is one of the things that makes the anime a lot worse than it should be. Battles, battles, battles, more battles, and so on for five episodes. If they do return, then I hope that they won't take much time out of the series.

This is one of the things that makes the anime a lot worse than it should be. Battles, battles, battles, more battles, and so on for five episodes. If they do return, then I hope that they won't take much time out of the series.

As opposed to ash blasting off team rocket to help the character of the day? Anything is better than that plot.

I would like tournaments if they weren't like the ones we got in BW. Those were terrible. Matches were too short and uninteresting. I liked the Double Battles of Sinnoh's Hearthome Tag Battles because they actually showed some degree of development in some characters and AFFECTED THE PLOT. Those Don Tournaments and the Junior Cup felt really rushed, weren't very significant, and shoved every rival there for the sake of screen time, basically shafting them all. I don't want to have to deal with 3-4 arcs like that again in Kalos.

If they can make some kind of improvement like in DP's Tournament, then that'll be fine. But if I have to watch someone one-shot everything again for all of their matches, then that's a problem.

People can bash as much they can, but the tournaments themselves weren't a bad idea, the actual problem is that the writers handled it poorly.
As long as they learn from what happened in BW and improve them in the next generation I actually look forward for more.

Do you realize if they don't "waste time" with something else we are going to get generic fillers instead, right? Flawed as they were, the tournaments were still better than a Johto-ish filler marathon.

People can bash as much they can, but the tournaments themselves weren't a bad idea, the actual problem is that the writers handled it poorly.
As long as they learn from what happened in BW and improve them in the next generation I actually look forward for more.

Most people have said that the tournaments in BW weren't a bad idea and that they were poorly executed. If the tournaments are more like the Hearthome City tag battle tournament where we actually have good battles and it affects the plot, then I wouldn't mind tournaments showing up again in XY. I'd be happy with tournaments that aren't repetitive and have good battles. I don't want any more Club Battle tournaments full of one on one battles since that just got old really fast and they try to cram in so many battles in a few episodes than few of them actually were enjoyable, at least to me.

Going by what Pokemon is about? Of course I expect and want tournaments! (Preferably the arcing kind. Think every 'The Strongest Under the Heavens' in the original Dragon Ball or the 'Dark Tournament' in YYH or 'Battle Bladers' in the first Metal Fight Beyblade.)

However, just not how BW and handled them. Dunno what the writers problem was but Ash should be winning at most a few of them. They really had it out for the poor kid in that series. If the writers return to levels touched in various Sinnoh events or at most Johto League or to a lesser, extent Hoenn League levels then all of my hype for them if they should so do it.

Last edited:
I think they should dedicate an entire season to the kalos league. :D

We can then have full coverage of Ash, his main rival, any secondary rivals, time for a pointless axew-esque filler, multiple rounds of 6v6s featuring everybody, and nothing needs to be rushed or undercutted, Also to placate the marketing people they can just have chespin dress in a manly pink cheerleeading outfit and dance on the sidelines and stuff.

I'm cool with tournaments. Heck, given that battles are what makes up a large percent of Games' gameplay, they're downright inevitable.

What I want is for said tournaments to be done right

Of course they should have tournaments. But if they are going to have them, make them separate from each other unlike what crap they did with BW. I get everyone battling together but since no one but Ash had a real goal to achieve by using battling all the time like he needs, he plus his rivals should have been more better handled.

I'm okay with tournaments as long as they have good battles, like the ones in the BF or Sinnoh League, and unlike the ones in Ash's first battle of the Unova League. Like, really, most of that battle consisted of Pikachu getting wrapped until it was about to lose then Ash miraculously comes up with a genius idea and "won," in quotes. I mean, having a strategy for battles is good and all, but the strategy and battle execution of the Ash vs. Trip battle during the Unova League was lame.

Just as long as they have the same quality of battling/intesity as the Hearthome City Tag Battle Tournament, then yes.

I agree, although I would like it if they didn't have unevolved starters hog all the glory like in hearthome. If that's how Ash is gonna rescue an abused fennekin, sure but don't make it into some ubermon please.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom