• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Does Gender Matter?

Benster404

Reaction score
I remember when i first started playing pokemon back during the Gold & Silver era, i was just about to enter Ilex Forest after defeating the gym. BAM! The rival appeared. Halfway through this battle i realised all his Pokémon were male. At this point i decided to follow this trend and only catch male pokémon (with the exception of chansey and any other female only pokemon).

I have only recently now broken this trend some 10 years later. Does anybody else follow this trend or is it just me?

I usually decide what gender I want based on the nickname I want to give them. For example, I wanted a Female Chikorita in HG so I could nickname her Ivy, and I wanted a male Axew in White so I could name him Hunter.

Although I do prefer having female starters.

I generally prefer to get male Pokemon, but I like the more feminine Pokemon (like Delcatty or Mawile) to be female. Not that it matters a whole lot usually.

I once bred an Ursaring with perfect IVs and I ditched it because it was a female. I don't like the way Ursaring looks as a female, because it looks more masculine. There are other Pokémon I do prefer to have as females due to their feminine appearance, like Gardevoir or Lapras.

It does, for me. I don't want to have a pokémon, that looks male, to be a female. Vise versa, as well. A minor nitpick, but it bothers me, nonetheless.

I'll only bother with gender if I don't like the gender difference or if it's a Pokémon that I think should be male because it's masculine. I don't think I could have a male Gardevoir, for example.

Doesn't matter to me at all, even if it's a masculine looking female or feminine looking male. Most of my nicknames are gender neutral or decided after I catch the Pokemon anyway. The only time I remember purposefully getting a certain gender was Jellicent, because the forms look so different.

Genders does not really matter to me, even though I have a preference for female Pokémon.

Gender really doesn't matter to me unless I'm trying to evolve a Pokemon that has to be a certain gender in order to evolve into the Pokemon I'm looking to evolve it into, like Combee into Vespiquen or Kirlia into Gallade. Sometimes I do prefer the sprite of a certain Pokemon's gender as well, though, like Luxray and Unfezant, whom I prefer the male variants of.

I once caught an all male team for the lolz. Even when I was breeding, I hatched them until I got a male.

Doesn't really matter most of the time, though

Nope, most of the time I don't care one bit, unless one gender looks cooler due to a gender difference. For example, I usually don't raise female Luxray because the male has a longer mane, which looks better. The same is true for Roserade, I only raise females because the longer "cape" looks cooler.

I generally prefer to have Male mons unless it's a very feminine looking one. If it's something rare though, I just take what I can get.

I generally don't mind it, but sometimes I'll have a preference mainly in terms of appearance or personality. Like I usually try to get the Gengar line as males because it just "fits" to me. This is not a hard and fast rule, mind you. I usually try to get Gyarados as a male, but in HG the Red Gyarados turned up as female and I caught her anyway. Some Pokémon can go either way and I won't mind. More often than not, whether by design or accident, I'll tend to end up with a male-centric team so I will sometimes catch a few female ones to even it out a bit. Also, if I already have a particular nickname I want I'll try to pick a corresponding gender.

Only when it effects evolution (the amazing Vespiquen -seriously, she's awesome- Gallade, etc) and only if the gender differences are extremely noticeable (Male Frillish/Jellicent and male Unfezant come to mind immediately as preferred genders for those species)

I will always go for an equal gender team. It's actually been the cause of several headaches over the years. I will always have three males and three females in each team I make. It's just how things work.

My Starter (who always makes it into the final team by default) will usually share the gender of the player character I'm using. The only exceptions I've ever made to this are Black, where I have a male Samurott and a female PC, and (when it comes out in America) White 2, where my female Serperior will be the opposite gender to my male PC. I even remember playing through all of Crystal with a female PC one time, only to realize I had been using a male Meganium. I reset that game until I got it right.

So yeah, I guess I care about gender more than I'd like to admit.

I follow said trend, but broke off aswell. Mr. Mime is the only poke I have to have male.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom