• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dubbed, Subbed, or Raw

Raw, subbed, or duubbed

• Total voters
I'd go with subs(since being able to understand the show you're watching is nice) and then raw(since subbed episodes of Pokemon are practically nonexistant). I'd probably watch the dub more if there wasn't a several month lag between it and the raw, but as it stands it's hard to care about getting to see the ep again(only in english) after that long. At least it's easy to tell what's going on in the raws since this is Pokemon we're talking about, and anything confusing is explained by someone in the ep thread sooner or later.

I have to admit that I find it rather funny that Pokemon still doesn't have any groups reliably releasing subtitled episodes(or scanilated manga, or...anything, really) despite how long the show's been running and how dedicated parts of the fanbase can be. I guess we're just lazier than the English-speaking fans of every other anime in existance. :p

I have to admit that I find it rather funny that Pokemon still doesn't have any groups reliably releasing subtitled episodes(or scanilated manga, or...anything, really) despite how long the show's been running and how dedicated parts of the fanbase can be. I guess we're just lazier than the English-speaking fans of every other anime in existance. :p

Same here. xD Even Detective Conan has all the movies subbed, not sure about all the episodes. xD

The problem with Pocket Monsters is that there aren't enough fans who are good enough at Japanese to be able to provide accurate translations. And the ones who are are too busy/not interested enough to work on weekly project like that.

To be honest, how many real subs of the show have been made?

I know AG1 and DP1 had subs, but how many others are there? Has there honestly been more than 10 subs for the series?

Every movie but 3 has been subbed, and about 25 episodes/specials have been subbed.

Dubbed for convenience, but when I have the chance, Japanese with English subtitles, please.

As someone who has now been around Japanese entertainment for a long time -- from anime to Tokusatsu -- it has to be subbed. Let me just give you an example here of how even the 4Kids crew turned out subpar scripting and a miserable performance. The other night, I was watching "Legend of Thunder." Aside from the fact that the vocal talent gave the original Resident evil VA team a run for their money in the "atrocious" department, there was one line that had me laughing for a solid five minutes.

Jimmy: Marina, do you remember the kids from the neightborhood?

Marina: Of course!

Jimmy: Someday, I want to go back and help them. That's why I battle Pokemon.

I interpreted this as...

Jimmy: Marina, remember all those poor kids in the hood? And how the hardcore Gs used to beat them up on the playground and steal their lunch money for blow? Someday, when my Pokemon are stronger, I want to go back and help those kids out. Hey, I bet some of them are getting their Nikes stolen RIGHT NOW! That's why I battle Pokemon.

And this was New Bark Town he was talking about. It sounded to me like the projects. I know they were probably insinuating that Jimmy wanted to mentor young children to prepare them for Pokemon adventures. They could have just said that, but they attempt to get "creative" with the adaptation. They would have been better off going straight English on the original Japanese line, which was simply that Kentaa/Jimmy wanted to get stronger with his Pokemon so he could travel to the different regions. What that Rockyesque line about "helping kids in the old neighborhood" is doing there, I haven't a clue.

And it's even worse now. The whole show is not what it used to be back in the day. Though hearing of the recent Japanese episode "Pikachu! Raichu! The Road to Evolution," effectively an indirect sequel to my beloved, "Electric Shock Showdown," gives me some hope. But even so, the talent they have on the dub is terrible. I could do a better Brock than the new guy! Same with James. Ash wouldn't be so bad if the delivery weren't horrendously flat. The only one who is kind of acceptable is Jessie. And even that part is sorely missing Rachel Lillis's flare.

So if I were to watch new episodes anytime soon, I'd much rather stick with the greats for now. Rika Matsamuto, Yuuji Ueda, Megumi Hayshibara, etc. All very well respected voice actors who deliver excellently.

Dubs only, as I'm not Japanese and only speak English.

I've tried watching subbed anime before, and to be honest, I just can't do it that way.

I grew up with the Dub, so naturally I love the old 4Kids dubs the most. I would love to continue watching the Dubs, but the new voice acting/script writing is horrendous!! Since I usually insist on watching the Subs of any anime, now I wanna do it with Pokemon... but I cant find any anywhere (except the banned Legend of Dratini, which was a wonderful episode to watch XD). So I was wondering if anyone had any tips for finding Subs... although, I am more than willing to try out the raws, so if anyone has any tips for finding those too, I'd really appreciate it XD.

I always watch raw. I would translate + sub more episodes but I don't have the time to pick up a big show like Pokémon. I did sub one episode recently though. Kept Japanese names for the humans and Pokémon as that's what I'm used to.

http://m33w-fansubs.com/?p=217

I'd love to get some feedback from you guys on places where I can improve in the future if I sub any more episodes. I know the quality for Pokémon subs tend to suck and I wanted to change that.

too bad that that episode already has been subbed by another group :/ (DP53, 66-69 are subbed already).

Nonetheless, I dl:ed it and watched, and I don't have anything to complain about. It was great, too bad you dont have the time to sub more :/

I honestly don't care about the voices so much as the music. Is there any way a fan can take the Japanese music but put it with the english dub voices?

That's a project I'd love to see. I'm content with VA's, I just want to listen to the Japanese BGM with english voice acting.

The problem with Pocket Monsters is that there aren't enough fans who are good enough at Japanese to be able to provide accurate translations. And the ones who are are too busy/not interested enough to work on weekly project like that.

They might also be too busy subbing an anime that's more worthwhile.

Yeah, I went there.

I honestly don't care about the voices so much as the music. Is there any way a fan can take the Japanese music but put it with the english dub voices?

If only there was some way that they could release said tracks onto a CD of some sort.

Yeah, but is it not possible otherwise for the fans to do that? Both the Japanese and dub versions are available for most eps, if someone can do a project where they take the Japanese music but put it with the english voice actors, it would be perfect.

As I said I don't mind the VA's, I just think it would be great to listen to the english voices with the Japanese soundtrack. That would be even better than subs for me, it would be awesome for someone to try and do that for the DP series at least.

^ That's exactly what i'd want to see to. However, i don't think its possible to filter out the music and put it into the other version.

Also, commercial breaks in different places makes it kinda hard to get it in sync. :(

That's a project I'd love to see. I'm content with VA's, I just want to listen to the Japanese BGM with english voice acting.

I hate to be a bum, but the only way to do that would be to have the Jap music and effects track and the Eng voice track. Without them, you got nothing. While you can get Japanese CDs, it won't work unless you can separate the voices from the music. The only way that you can do that was if you raid the Pokemon company and got the Jap music and effects track and English voice track. Sorry for killing the idea.

Another solution would be someone doing dubsubs, but I guess no one got time to do it just for the music/va's =p

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom