• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Fire/Fighting Pokemon. Should there be more?

I definately think Fire/Fighting being the repeated typing for starters contributed to it. People are just tired of seeing Fighting as the second type for the Fire type starters. I know many people were dissapointed when Emboar was revealed to be Fire/Fighting. Charizard and Typlosion were Fire/Flying and pure Fire respectively and when Blaziken came about, Fire/Fighting was a new type combo. In fact, all of the Fire/Fighting Pokemon have only ever been starter Pokemon, I do think that has a lot if not all to do with how unpopular they are now. If Game Freak were to use a different type with Fire next generation, I think the Fire type starter may become popular again.

Yes, but I need more Fire/Fighting-type Pokemon, not just starters. A quadruped Fire/Fighting-type Pokemon could be cool, as most of this type combination are bipedal.

Here's another question for you guys. Charizard, Typhlosion and Blaziken are some of the most popular Starters of all time. Infernape and Emboar...not so much.

Do you think the steady decline of the Fire Starter's formerly inherent popularity is due mostly to the reuse of the Fire/Fighting type combo, or are there any other factors involved? If so, which?

Infernape was pretty popular last time I checked, never knew it wasn't...

There shouldn't have been more than one generation of Fire-Fighting starters in the first place. If it was only Combusken and Blaziken, then I'd say maybe as a non-starter, but since that is not how Game Freak has... designed... the fire starters for the past two generations, I must say that if I ever see a new Fire-Fighting, especially a starter, within two generations, I will go to Game Freak in Japan and yell at the top of my lungs.

I don't mind duo-type starters - hell, Mudkip is my favourite starter since it gains the ground type after it's first evolution.

But really, 3 Fire/Fighting starters in a row? Come on.

One of the things I have found that has made me pick grass or water starters is the fact that the designs of the pokemon themselves are beginning to be a bit lacking. In R/S/E, I could pick any one of the starters and be pleased with the choice. I liked all of them. But Gen IV? I had to pick the one I hated the least. I mean, this is only personally for me, but it just seems like something is off about them. Perhaps they lack the simplicity in the design that the previous generations had.

I dunno. Please though, no more Fire/Fighting starters. Keep 'em monotype or try something else.

I think at the moment no we had our fair share of Fire/Fighting Types but I do know this it should never be used on a Fire Starters Evolutionary line again.

No please. Blaziken was awesome, Infernape was ok, Emboar sucks. They should stop here and do something new.

Maybe,but if they are going to put more in I hope they wont be in the next starter pokemon (we already had 3 in a row)

Do you think the steady decline of the Fire Starter's formerly inherent popularity is due mostly to the reuse of the Fire/Fighting type combo, or are there any other factors involved? If so, which?

This has already been said, but I do think that has discouraged a lot of players from using the Fire starters. Without variance, we're just playing the same 'Mon over and over. For devoted Fire lovers, it really takes some of the spice out of a game that, inherently, is the same game over and over (I love Pokemon, but it has stayed so formulaic that we are essentially buying the same game with slightly new flavors every time.)
As it has been said in this thread before, I would also love a starter that is Fire/Steel or Fire/Rock. I think there is a lot of potential in that typing that hasn't been explored.

For at least the next generation, I wouldn't want to see another firefighter (it's fun to call them that), not even if it isn't a starter. They shoot fire and punch things and that's cool, but they're getting old.

I don't think this has been mentioned before here - part of the reason Fire starters are given a secondary Fighting type might be to help them defend against Rock-types, which are often in the first Gym - I think GF made Chimchar evolve a bit early at level 14 just because taking on Roark's gym might be difficult with a pure Fire-type. There are four other type combinations that help in fending off Rock-types, but two are stupid and clash with the other starter types and two have nasty double weaknesses. Tepig didn't have such an excuse though, and in all three games with Rock as the first gym there are Pokemon catchable right before the first gym which can easily defeat Rock-types.

Fortunately I don't think we're going to see another Fire/Fighting starter after GF made three in a row. I'm actually hoping for a pure Fire-type next time, because Typhlosion looks quite lonely there...

For at least the next generation, I wouldn't want to see another firefighter (it's fun to call them that), not even if it isn't a starter. They shoot fire and punch things and that's cool, but they're getting old.

I don't think this has been mentioned before here - part of the reason Fire starters are given a secondary Fighting type might be to help them defend against Rock-types, which are often in the first Gym - I think GF made Chimchar evolve a bit early at level 14 just because taking on Roark's gym might be difficult with a pure Fire-type. The three other type combinations that help with fending off Rock-types either don't make sense and clash with the other starters or have nasty weaknesses. Tepig didn't have such an excuse though, and in all three games there are Pokemon catchable right before the first gym which can easily defeat Rock-types.

Fortunately I don't think we're going to see another Fire/Fighting starter after GF made three in a row. I'm actually hoping for a pure Fire-type next time, because Typhlosion looks quite lonely there...

To be fair, Charmander had to deal with a Rock type Gym Leader (followed by a Water type Gym Leader to boot) and didn't get a Fighting sub-type. In FrLg, Game Freak gave it Metal Claw to deal with Brock. I don't see why they couldn't have done something similar to the others.

And yes, I'm crossing my fingers for a mono-Fire type next generation too. unpopular opinion.

Fire/Fighting is too overused but a quadruped Fire/Fighting Pokemon could be awesome. Pure Fire-type do really sucks for a new starter, as does with pure-Grass-type (I think Servine and Serperior should be part Poison-type because this is common on snakes). Dewott and Samurott look more like Fighting-types but Water/Fighting-type in Generation V has been took over by the legendary Keldeo instead of starter Oshawott evo-line. I would like to see more unevolved dual-type starters, as we have only Bulbasaur so far since Generation I.

I wouldn't mind maybe some wild Fire/Fighting type Pokemon, but I definitely would prefer anything over another Fire/Fighting starter. Even a pure Fire type would be welcomed, even though we already have one. I liked the combination with Blaziken and Infernape, even though twice was kind of weird, but three times with Emboar was way too much. Emboar has been more useful than I thought it would be, but it still wasn't worth it to see that combination used yet again for a starter.

I really want to obtain one of the Gen 3/Gen 4 games sometime soon or get a Blaziken and Infernape from someone in the Trading Station here cause they look AWESOME

Typhlosion is still my favorite fire type though, hands down

There are four other type combinations that help in fending off Rock-types, but two are stupid and clash with the other starter types and two have nasty double weaknesses.
If Rock types are a problem...
I dunno, Fire/Ground Water/Rock Grass/Steel sound like they make a nice trio.

We had Marshtomp as Water/Ground for a 4x weakness to other starter, and Torterra with Grass/Ground for neutrality to another starter type. I think Fire/Ground would be very appropiate.

But if disadvantage is a problem, there's always Fire/Steel which also seems good enough. With again, precedent on Empoleon's Water/Steel.

I don't have anything against the typing, I'd just like to see the Fire starter go down a different route because it's gotten pretty stale for the final starter at this point.

Personally, I like water types and I'll stick with those. I am strong against fire types XD plus fighting i find no value in a team

I think Normal/Flying is more overused than Fire/Fighting combinations. It's also the only type combination I don't want to see (Flying-types have never seen as pure type until Tornadus introduced as pure Flying-type. He's also the first which have Flying-type as his primary type). Fire/Fighting types are overused only for starters (Emboar may be based off sumo wrestler or Macho Libre, but he's bipedal instead of quadruped) but never used for others (including legendaries). So a quadruped Fire/Fighting-type could look nice. If Fire/Fighting starters continue appear in Gen VI, I would like to see Water starter with his secondary type being super effective to Fighting types, such as Flying or Psychic.

We're probably all going to flip if dear Fennekin turns out to be yet another Fire/Fighting. There shouldn't be any more of them.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom