• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gen VI and the dub

I was at a con this weekend with multiple Pokemon voice actors (Kotoricon), and I relayed this question to Bill Rogers, who is also one of the people in charge of arranging and adapting the dub. Based on what he could say so far:

-The voice actors found out about the new games at the same time as the general public.

-If they were to catch up the series so the XY anime could air closer to the Japanese debut, it would require heavier workloads in the studio and they haven't gotten word of coming in to work on the show more often.

-Although he wasn't able to comment specifically on it, it didn't sound like they would cut any of Season 16 short in the dub.

-The movies take more work for the VAs, but the biggest thing is airing them at appropriate times. (The 15th movie had to premiere after Ash's Tepig evolved but before Iris caught her Dragonite.)

So there you have it, Episode N won't be skipped in the dub, but it's unlikely that the anime will catch up for Gen VI's release unless those in charge haven't yet decided to make the VAs and crew work more to finish more episodes in the same time frame.

I am glad that they won't skip Episode N in the dub. While I didn't think that they would go that route, it's nice to hear that they most likely aren't going to do that. It would be terrible for the dub to skip over a whole arc, especially the last one in the BW series. I'm not surprised that it's unlikely for the to catch up with the sixth generation's release since it would require a lot more work and I don't know if the higher ups are really that interested doing that, especially when it would probably cost them more money to do that. I still think that they could do a sneak peek with the first two or three episodes and air them as a special similar to what happened with AG. I remember Cartoon Network airing the first three DP episodes as a special a couple of months before the series officially started too, so doing something like that with the new XY series sounds a lot more likely than having heavier workloads in the studio.

I was at a con this weekend with multiple Pokemon voice actors (Kotoricon), and I relayed this question to Bill Rogers, who is also one of the people in charge of arranging and adapting the dub. Based on what he could say so far:

-The voice actors found out about the new games at the same time as the general public.

-If they were to catch up the series so the XY anime could air closer to the Japanese debut, it would require heavier workloads in the studio and they haven't gotten word of coming in to work on the show more often.

-Although he wasn't able to comment specifically on it, it didn't sound like they would cut any of Season 16 short in the dub.

-The movies take more work for the VAs, but the biggest thing is airing them at appropriate times. (The 15th movie had to premiere after Ash's Tepig evolved but before Iris caught her Dragonite.)

So there you have it, Episode N won't be skipped in the dub, but it's unlikely that the anime will catch up for Gen VI's release unless those in charge haven't yet decided to make the VAs and crew work more to finish more episodes in the same time frame.

I am glad that they won't skip Episode N in the dub. While I didn't think that they would go that route, it's nice to hear that they most likely aren't going to do that. It would be terrible for the dub to skip over a whole arc, especially the last one in the BW series. I'm not surprised that it's unlikely for the to catch up with the sixth generation's release since it would require a lot more work and I don't know if the higher ups are really that interested doing that, especially when it would probably cost them more money to do that. I still think that they could do a sneak peek with the first two or three episodes and air them as a special similar to what happened with AG. I remember Cartoon Network airing the first three DP episodes as a special a couple of months before the series officially started too, so doing something like that with the new XY series sounds a lot more likely than having heavier workloads in the studio.

To tell you the truth i wish they would skip episode n. I'm sorry i just think its a little odd that they are going to release the games in the same month, but not the anime. I mean lets take the games. before this year if i said we were going to get the next gen the same year and the same month you all would have laughed at me so why is it so hard to believe that the anime will still follow the games in terms of release dates

To tell you the truth i wish they would skip episode n. I'm sorry i just think its a little odd that they are going to release the games in the same month, but not the anime. I mean lets take the games. before this year if i said we were going to get the next gen the same year and the same month you all would have laughed at me so why is it so hard to believe that the anime will still follow the games in terms of release dates

Even though I don't have the highest hopes for Episode N, especially with how I feel about BW in general, I don't like the idea of them skipping the arc. That would be a terrible way to handle the dub and I don't know if that would really solve the problem, especially when that would mean months of reruns until the new series started. Besides that, I want to hear N's English voice and since I don't watch the Japanese version, skipping an entire arc in the dub wouldn't sit well with me. I don't think that it's odd that they're releasing the games during the same month and not the anime because I imagine that the process of getting the games and the series ready for an English audience are two completely different processes. They are both difficult, but I don't think that one is the same as the other.

I don't know if people would have thought that the idea of a worldwide release for the games to be that unbelievable prior to the announcement. The gap between the Japanese and English releases has gotten shorter over the last few years with B2/W2 being released internationally the same year that they came out in Japan. Plus, I think that there have been other games released worldwide at the same time before. However, there haven't been dubs that started at the same time as the original Japanese version and in order for the dub to do something like that, they would need to have more work in the studio, which may be more expensive than the higher ups think that its worthwhile in the long run.

Honestly, I don't think it's such a problem. The dub for the new series doesn't always officially start by the time the games come out. I think that only happened with the original series, as it started before the games came out in the U.S., and with BW since it started about a month before B/W were released. With AG and DP, they aired the first two or three episodes shortly before the games were released as a special sneak peek. Not starting off the dub officially before or right when the games came out didn't hurt R/S or D/P and I don't think it's going to hurt the show either. The kids will get a taste of the new series, see some new Pokemon animated and perhaps just that much will make them want to buy the games even more as they wait until the series premieres properly. There will be a gap, although possibly an even shorter one than the one we have now if there aren't any more breaks aside from holiday weekends, but I just don't think it's likely for them to showcase the new series right along with its airing in Japan. Getting the first couple of episodes ready to air for a special is definitely possible and I think that they will likely go that route, but doing more than that would be most likely too much for them.

Moe said:
It can't have totally slipped their minds when considering the move to the games releasing the same month in most parts of the world

I'm sure it actually was brought up at some point...and then quickly laughed off as being a ridiculous and unnecessary thing to even *try* to attempt.

If the dub of the XY anime falls into 2014, as it would on the current dubbing schedule, then it's failed at one of it's primary purposes.

No more than them airing the Cheren Gym Leader episode, for example, more than half a year after B2W2's come out is doing.

If that happened, the fanbase will fucking explode.

France isn't all of Europe.
Which is great because the article specifically mentions the Netherlands and Italy as well, and posts elsewhere say that CITV aired a preview in the same way in the UK. Point is that in some of the major markets of Europe, they did try and bring the anime forward compared to the usual schedule to be able to show some of the anime at the same time as the games released, it's not just limited to the US and it is something that they see as worth putting resources in to doing.

No more than them airing the Cheren Gym Leader episode, for example, more than half a year after B2W2's come out is doing.
You don't see a difference between introducing a new generation of Pokemon and a Gym leader? All the Gym leaders are introduced at staggered times, because that's how the badge collection goes - but introducing the new region itself and some of the new Pokemon to get people interested isn't really something that can happen half a year after the games.

Yes, the season proper can be after a bit of delay (one I think they'll try to minimise), but I'm sure they'll find a way to get the first few episodes of XY dubbed in time for the games releasing.

France isn't all of Europe.
Which is great because the article specifically mentions the Netherlands and Italy as well, and posts elsewhere say that CITV aired a preview in the same way in the UK. Point is that in some of the major markets of Europe, they did try and bring the anime forward compared to the usual schedule to be able to show some of the anime at the same time as the games released, it's not just limited to the US and it is something that they see as worth putting resources in to doing.

Still doesn't change the fact that almost all countries have to wait long after the release of the games before their anime dub got that far. And we're talking episodes that had already been fully dubbed into English and distributed for redubs to these territories anyway here.

What Bill Rogers is saying makes pretty solid sense. I mean, you have to keep in mind they have a set time frame to dub the eps, and rushing it like back in the BF/early DP days doesn't exactly make the final product better. What I mean is, I'd rather wait longer to see a better dubbed episode from TPCi than see some half-hearted stuff from them, so I'm happy with the way they're dubbing at the moment (more satisfied than BF and DP is an understatement). Also I think dubbing the movies has always been harder for both groups of dubbers (4Kids back in the day, and TPCi since late '06), since they seem to cut little to nothing as opposed to eps, and the VA performances for both dubs are more solid than in the eps. :thumbup:

Well this I know for sure, X and Y will take like a year or two to reach Brazil, we're still in Nimbassa, I shit you not.

Well, we will get XY anime 6 months after release. Not bad.

What I don't want is rushed production.

Well if they replace Iris with the Female protagonist, i sure as hope they do not give her an accent like they did Fantina and Kylie. after an episode with Fanitna it was a novelty but afterwards it just started to grind my nerves. That alone would make the dub already a thumbs down in my book.

I hope that they will make it twice-a-week for the last part of the BW dub. Then, they could just release them simulatneously. (Well, if the episode's animation is ready, 2 days (aka from Thursday to Saturday) will be more than enough to get the dub caught up.

The break will be 3 months long, not 6 months long. Not too bad. I think that the solution will be airing the initial XY episodes when the games are released in the US.

The announcement of XY was something that Gamefreak want to be much secret as possible. They make sure that CoroCoro won't be leaked before the announcement (unlike other times that didn't care), anmd they haven't told the information to anybody except the necessary, Gamefreak, Nintendo Staff, TPCi director, translators of the games and directors of Nintendo UK/France... The rest of the people doesn't know about the announcement.

I think that the Japanese animators, storyboarders, seiyuu (the writers known that because they need to prepare the end of BW) know about the existence of Gen VI before the announcement (because the Genesect movie and possible Gen VI debuts in the anime) and they could have suspected that Gen V will end in 2013 , but I don't think that they knew that the next game would be XY, and the things that NIntendo Direct revealed.

And I also think that the production of the finale episodes of Best Wishes and the start of the anime based on XY, if it has started, they have started at most since the games are revealed to the public.

I don't see the dub having a 2-week gap like the games will have at the moment. Although it's notable that the VA of the dub voices before the Japanese episodes are airing. Don't ask about his last dub episode, they can't give the answer.

The break will be 3 months long, not 6 months long. Not too bad. I think that the solution will be airing the initial XY episodes when the games are released in the US.

The announcement of XY was something that Gamefreak want to be much secret as possible. They make sure that CoroCoro won't be leaked before the announcement (unlike other times that didn't care), anmd they haven't told the information to anybody except the necessary, Gamefreak, Nintendo Staff, TPCi director, translators of the games and directors of Nintendo UK/France... The rest of the people doesn't know about the announcement.

I think that the Japanese animators, storyboarders, seiyuu (the writers known that because they need to prepare the end of BW) know about the existence of Gen VI before the announcement (because the Genesect movie and possible Gen VI debuts in the anime) and they could have suspected that Gen V will end in 2013 , but I don't think that they knew that the next game would be XY, and the things that NIntendo Direct revealed.

And I also think that the production of the finale episodes of Best Wishes and the start of the anime based on XY, if it has started, they have started at most since the games are revealed to the public.

I don't see the dub having a 2-week gap like the games will have at the moment. Although it's notable that the VA of the dub voices before the Japanese episodes are airing. Don't ask about his last dub episode, they can't give the answer.

while i do agree with most of what your saying. i find it hard to believe that the animators didnt know anything about xy for the last year or so being that an episode can take anywhere from 6 to 9 months to make.

No matter how I look at it, even if the dub isn't broadcast the same week as in Japan, the gap between them will definitely be smaller since they both want to market the show the same time as when the games come out.

Won't be surprised if Cartoon Network show a new eppy everyday to make it before the game comes out. They usually do this from time to time and it looks like its that time again...

Won't be surprised if Cartoon Network show a new eppy everyday to make it before the game comes out. They usually do this from time to time and it looks like its that time again...

I don't think that they've aired new episodes on weekdays in years. They only air reruns in the morning and sometimes in the afternoon. There is still the issue of TPCI putting more time in the studio in order to dub more episodes and I don't think that they're going to do it. They probably could do it, but it would most likely cost too much money for them to do that and higher ups wouldn't think that it's worthwhile in the long run. I could see the gap getting a bit shorter if Cartoon Network doesn't take any more breaks aside from holiday weekends, but I don't think that they'll finish dubbing and airing the rest of BW before the games come out. It would be too difficult to get the episodes dubbed and ready to air a few days after they air in Japan.

TPCI might already be dubbing X and Y, anyways :yao:

Its up to the networks, now :yao:

I don't know if they're that far ahead in dubbing. According to what UnovaCastaway mentioned earlier, the voice actors learned about the new games at the same time as everyone else did with the official announcement. If they were already dubbing the new X/Y series, I think that they would have been aware of the new games before the general public. I know that TPCI gets the episodes before they air in Japan if some of the clips in the Rival Destinies opening are any indication, but there's no proof that they have the new X/Y episodes at this point, so it's a bit much to assume that they could be doing that and that it's up to the networks at this point.

I really don't see the problem with just airing the first couple of episodes around the time the games come out and then premiering the series a couple of months later. I can't see them putting more time and money by keeping the voice actors and staff in the studios more often and I don't think that Cartoon Network is particularly interested in airing new episodes every weekday. I still don't think that they've done that since D/P with the Tag Battle arc, so I don't think that they'll do that with a good chuck of a season.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom