• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If they go back to the generic 3rd version, they best be bustin' their asses to revamp what we already got in X/Y. I'm hoping that they do something different this time, like maybe give us another round of sequels to expand on the region. Or, pick up on what Zinnia said about an alternate reality where the Ultimate Weapon was never built. That would be really interesting, because the Kalos War is what seems to be central to Kalos' plot.

Whatever it is that we get, I'm hoping that it will surpass Platinum and B2/W2 in awesomeness. If it's likely we'll have to wait till next year to get it, that will mean they've had extra time to work on it. No excuses, Game Freak.

Or, pick up on what Zinnia said about an alternate reality where the Ultimate Weapon was never built. That would be really interesting, because the Kalos War is what seems to be central to Kalos' plot.

That alternate reality you're talking about is the universe that Generations III-V take place in. And if you're talking about the Kalos region in the non-Mega Evolution universe, then we probably won't get that because one, Game Freak already moved into the Mega Evolution mechanic and is probably done with games without Mega Evolution and two, the Kalos plot was kinda centered around the Ultimate Weapon and none of it would have happened if the Ultimate Weapon didn't exist so no point in making games centered around the Kalos region without a plot.

Now that we have a gif of the new green lil guy, all we have to wait for is that behemoth Pokemon to show itself.
on the subject of the green guy, the last few sketches were incredibly accurate! Greeny's kinda cute if you ask me; they seems like a different design for a Pokemon, given their small eye and their body. I think you can see right through the Mon too.
I'm interested in their type- normal? Psychic? Fairy? A possibly new type?

Or, pick up on what Zinnia said about an alternate reality where the Ultimate Weapon was never built. That would be really interesting, because the Kalos War is what seems to be central to Kalos' plot.

That alternate reality you're talking about is the universe that Generations III-V take place in. And if you're talking about the Kalos region in the non-Mega Evolution universe, then we probably won't get that because one, Game Freak already moved into the Mega Evolution mechanic and is probably done with games without Mega Evolution and two, the Kalos plot was kinda centered around the Ultimate Weapon and none of it would have happened if the Ultimate Weapon didn't exist so no point in making games centered around the Kalos region without a plot.

But... the non-Mega universe does have an Ultimate Weapon. What Zinnia theorized (and by extension, what GameFreak has implied and semi-confirmed) is that the Ultimate Weapon was never fired in the non-Megaverse. This means the war still happened, AZ and Floette still became immortal (the weapon was never FIRED but it could still have been used for its original purpose of reviving Floette), and Team Flare would still be headed by Lysandre who would still be AZ's descendant.

So the Kalos games would be exactly the same in the Megaverse as in the non-Megaverse, just no Mega Evolutions.

You would still move to Kalos with Grace, your Fletchling, your Rhyhorn and your unnamed, unseen father. Sycamore would still call you up to go on a journey through Kalos with Serena/Calem, Shauna, Tierno and Trevor (though since Mega Evolution doesn't exist, you'd probably be tasked with finding out more about Xerneas and Yveltal or the Kalos War or something). Team Flare would still try to revive the Ultimate Weapon, but here's where it gets interesting.

The explosion of the Ultimate Weapon destroying itself did nothing in the original X and Y. This was because Mega Evolution already existed. But in the non-Megaverse, the Ultimate Weapon destroying itself would have the same effect as the original impact in the XY/ORAS universe; irradiating normal stones with the Natural Energy of Xerneas and Yveltal, making them Mega Stones and introducing Mega Evolution to the main timeline as well. That way going forward, no difference would be made between the universes. :p Except for pesky Sinnoh and Unova remakes in the Megaverse (and subsequent Kanto and Johto re-remakes also in the Megaverse), but we'll get to those when we get to them. Or if by some random twist of fate, new games go back to the beginning of the timeline or maybe even before it.

Also, if Kalos was never devastated in the war, maybe some native species might not have gone extinct (there had to have been extinct species, considering the low number of 72 Kalos Pokémon) so maybe our little blob friend is a species that didn't go extinct in the main timeline. I would say that if we go to non-Mega Kalos, we might just get that new crop of Mons we've all been waiting for so much.

But... the non-Mega universe does have an Ultimate Weapon. What Zinnia theorized (and by extension, what GameFreak has implied and semi-confirmed) is that the Ultimate Weapon was never fired in the non-Megaverse. This means the war still happened, AZ and Floette still became immortal (the weapon was never FIRED but it could still have been used for its original purpose of reviving Floette), and Team Flare would still be headed by Lysandre who would still be AZ's descendant.
Zinnia: "A world where maybe the evolution of Pokémon took a slightly different path, where Mega Evolution is unknown... A world where that war 3,000 years ago...never happened. "

There is no reason for the Ultimate Weapon to exist in the non-Mega universe or for AZ to still be alive.

Random thought, but it would be utterly hilarious if the Poke-blob turns out to be the Strange Souvenir Pokémon. A tiny blob of green goo turns out to be the venerated protector of *insert new region here*? I would be laughing my butt off all the way to hell and back.

Also, if Kalos was never devastated in the war, maybe some native species might not have gone extinct (there had to have been extinct species, considering the low number of 72 Kalos Pokémon) so maybe our little blob friend is a species that didn't go extinct in the main timeline. I would say that if we go to non-Mega Kalos, we might just get that new crop of Mons we've all been waiting for so much.

"72 Kalos Pokémon" is a bit of a misnomer, though. Kalos actually has tons and tons of native species. It's just that 72 of them happen to be species that were introduced in Gen VI. But we see in the war flashbacks that they used lots of Pokémon from older generations, which could have just as easily been native to Kalos, kind of like how Sudowoodo appears to be native to Sinnoh, as it can be found in the wild there, despite first appearing in Johto (conspicuously as a one-off). So who is to say that Pokémon such as Bagon or Abomasnow are not also native to Kalos? Just because they aren't new to us does not have to mean that every example of the species in Kalos migrated there.

"72 Kalos Pokémon" is a bit of a misnomer, though. Kalos actually has tons and tons of native species. It's just that 72 of them happen to be species that were introduced in Gen VI. But we see in the war flashbacks that they used lots of Pokémon from older generations, which could have just as easily been native to Kalos, kind of like how Sudowoodo appears to be native to Sinnoh, as it can be found in the wild there, despite first appearing in Johto (conspicuously as a one-off). So who is to say that Pokémon such as Bagon or Abomasnow are not also native to Kalos? Just because they aren't new to us does not have to mean that every example of the species in Kalos migrated there.

This is very true. Eevee might very well be a Kalosian Pokémon, considering it's the only place in the Pokémon world where it can truly be caught in the wild (in both Sinnoh and Unova, it can only be caught in gardens made by humans, while they aren't available in the wild in the first three regions).

I stand corrected, but my point remains. The blast could've made many native species (some previously known to us, some not) extinct in Kalos. Non-Mega Kalos would then have the possibility of having more unseen species since it was never nuked.

If they give us sequels, I wonder what kind of possibilities there are for story content. Team Flare is pretty much demolished, other than Malva basically hates your guts for disbanning them. Maybe they could introduce a new team that may or may not have any relation to Team Flare? I think that would be interesting. Sure, Hoenn had two different teams, but yet they were similar and were active at the same time. It would be interesting to have a brand-new evil team to fill in the void a few years after X/Y.

I don't see how another evil team would be interesting personally. When we get a new team every gen and the last one (Team Flare) wasn't particularly enthralling as far as things go, it doesn't exactly make me excited to think they are going to throw yet another one into the mix.

Tbh I'd rather see how they would handle a game without an evil team, but I think that's nothing but a pipe dream... for now. It's still possible to have an antagonist or antagonists without a team. And that would be a more interesting take in a Pokemon game imo, than yet another team.

Last edited:
Unless they give us prequels...

What would prequels accomplish though? Only asking because the idea seems to be gaining traction in the fandom recently, but I can't see what could be done with that plotwise in regards to Kalos.

Tbh I'd rather see how they would handle a game without an evil team, but I think that's nothing but a pipe dream... for now. It's still possible to have an antagonist or antagonists without a team. And that would be a more interesting take in a Pokemon game imo, than yet another team.

A far deeper plot involving the rival(s) and Gym Leader(s) I'd imagine. Assuming none of them fill in the role of antagonist, it would be sort of refreshing to have the Pokemon themselves play that role for a change. Malamar or Spiritomb in the anime are good examples, as well as Darkrai from the Mystery Dungeon series. In regards to Malamar especially, I'd love a possible lovecraftian themed plot, but that is probably more of a pipe dream than the lack of a villain team.

I don't see how another evil team would be interesting personally. When we get a new team every gen and the last one (Team Flare) wasn't particularly enthralling as far as things go, it doesn't exactly make me excited to think they are going to throw yet another one into the mix.

I don't mind the evil teams, but I kinda wish they'd drop the "Team *insert name here*" schtick. I liked how it was just "Cipher" and not "Team Cipher" in Colosseum and XD. Not to mention they were a little more interesting, serious, and darker than their main series counterparts(save for Miror B, but he's awesome the way he is, theme music especially). I'd like something that's a little more like Cipher for a change. I thought they took a step in the right direction with Team Plasma, and I can only hope they can pick that trend up again.

So I've been thinking about something and I'm pretty sure I've seen others make this point too. I personally like the idea of a gen 6.5, but there's one thing that's always kind of bothered me about it. If we do have a new batch of Pokemon this late into the gen then it kind of seems weird as it wouldn't b too long b4 we end up seeing gen 7 which would inevitably bring even more "new" Pokemon. Just seems like a weird choice to make as far as the releasing of Pokemon is concerned. I still think it's an interesting idea for them to try tho so if this is a test run to c how releasing Pokemon in 2 batches works more power to them. I'm still not convinced that the new blob mon is related to Zygarde in a direct way. If they are related then it'll b in a way like Diancie and carbink r related where Zygarde controls them or makes them, but they themselves r completely their own Pokemon. I just can't c it being a form or a tool that's not an actual Pokemon lol

So I've been thinking about something and I'm pretty sure I've seen others make this point too. I personally like the idea of a gen 6.5, but there's one thing that's always kind of bothered me about it. If we do have a new batch of Pokemon this late into the gen then it kind of seems weird as it wouldn't b too long b4 we end up seeing gen 7 which would inevitably bring even more "new" Pokemon. Just seems like a weird choice to make as far as the releasing of Pokemon is concerned. I still think it's an interesting idea for them to try tho so if this is a test run to c how releasing Pokemon in 2 batches works more power to them. I'm still not convinced that the new blob mon is related to Zygarde in a direct way. If they are related then it'll b in a way like Diancie and carbink r related where Zygarde controls them or makes them, but they themselves r completely their own Pokemon. I just can't c it being a form or a tool that's not an actual Pokemon lol

If they do have a gen 6.5 type of thing I wonder if they'd consider permanently changing how they release new pokemon. What I mean is instead of how we get a bunch of new pokemon at the beginning of a new gen and that's it no more new pokemon (megas are a grey area) for the rest of the gen, what if they released a bunch of new pokemon at the beginning of a gen, and then released a very modest amount of new pokemon with each of the other games in the generation alongside many more mega evolutions? Of course compatibility springs to mind, and I wouldn't want things being even more disjointed then they already are but it's an interesting idea.

the Delta Episode seems like a decent start at what it could look like. i suppose after a few games of it could get a bit stale though.

Random thought, but it would be utterly hilarious if the Poke-blob turns out to be the Strange Souvenir Pokémon. A tiny blob of green goo turns out to be the venerated protector of *insert new region here*? I would be laughing my butt off all the way to hell and back.
I could see GF doing that, just to troll the slag out of us.
If they give us sequels, I wonder what kind of possibilities there are for story content. Team Flare is pretty much demolished, other than Malva basically hates your guts for disbanning them. Maybe they could introduce a new team that may or may not have any relation to Team Flare? I think that would be interesting. Sure, Hoenn had two different teams, but yet they were similar and were active at the same time. It would be interesting to have a brand-new evil team to fill in the void a few years after X/Y.
Or we could have Malva try and restart the team, or form her own in Lysandre's name. She's obviously pretty pissed about what happened during the course of X and Y so I could see her doing this. This could mean we'd need a new E4 member as well, just as we needed a new Champion in Unova after the events of Black and White.

It's a (half-baked) thought.

As for the little green blob: I'm thinking we're going to get our first glimpse of Gen VII right here. But that's just me.

I'd rather see how they would handle a game without an evil team, but I think that's nothing but a pipe dream... for now. It's still possible to have an antagonist or antagonists without a team. And that would be a more interesting take in a Pokemon game imo, than yet another team.

I've always liked the idea of a Pokemon plot where the antagonists aren't some deluded, misguided villain fixed on destruction/domination with a mass of followers. Making the central story about a single antagonist, or a smaller group of antagonists, would be a good change of pace I think. It could tie in with another idea, where the plot isn't revolved around meeting a legendary Pokemon at the climax of the story, and instead focuses on other objectives.

If they do have a gen 6.5 type of thing I wonder if they'd consider permanently changing how they release new pokemon. What I mean is instead of how we get a bunch of new pokemon at the beginning of a new gen and that's it no more new pokemon (megas are a grey area) for the rest of the gen, what if they released a bunch of new pokemon at the beginning of a gen, and then released a very modest amount of new pokemon with each of the other games in the generation alongside many more mega evolutions? Of course compatibility springs to mind, and I wouldn't want things being even more disjointed then they already are but it's an interesting idea.

Yeah it's quite possible they're thinking of changing the way they do things with this gen. I wouldn't b all that surprised if this gen was a test for that and in the next gens after they refine it to make the change feel more clean and simple. lol

There's a lot of speculation regarding whether the next games will be a sequel, a 3rd version, or maybe even prequel but what if we take a sideways step in the timeline?

What if we see the Kalos from the other universe where the war never happened and Mega Evolution never became a thing?

(Then to maintain compatibility and keep current megas/add more, the postgame would contain a story about discovering mega evolution, so this Universe gets Mega Evolution too, but 300 years later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom